Official World Cup Thread

Comments

• Reply 41 of 528
    Nah, Japan's problem is in the attack.

Did you see how the japanese players dribbled past the Australian midfield?

If they could extend that type of play to the front they would have done better.

Hiddink won the game. He made the right changes and Zico failed to counter.
  • Reply 42 of 528
    Japan just lost a very exciting game to Australia, which they were winning for most of the time. It was a nail-biter, and a depresser for us here.

Begin rant:

Australia won the foul game, too: 22 to 11. Right up there with the likes of Mexico (25) Angola (29) and Iran (21) (though M-I was an exciting match, it was dirty) and the Netherlands (23). England had 13, Germany had 11, Poland and Sweden have 9.

None of the other teams pull and throw players like Australia did and even just shoving from behind (then raising his hands as if wondering what was wrong with that!). The crowd even booed when Japanese players fell injured.

Sorry for the rant, but even if I wasn't rooting for Japan I would have ranted, it was so blatant, and I personally do not like dirty play (not to say that Japan didn't get some dumb yellow cards).

Unfortunately, some Japanese soccer official the other day said the same about A, so they were pretty pissed off according to the media, so the Roos will feel vindicated.

Rant complete. Hope Japan does better next game, and they then meet Brazil after that... ugh. Australia meets Brazil next, so hopefully they will get trampled!
  • Reply 43 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Japan just lost a very exciting game to Australia, which they were winning for most of the time. It was a nail-biter, and a depresser for us here.

Japan needs to be more confident. After Australia tied it up, Japan gave up.

Australia didn't come off as dirty to me, as much as they came off as rough. Rough play is more obvious to the opposing team and doesn't usually result in injury. Dirty play (watch mexico) is like tripping from behind, suspiciously high tackles. . . things that cause injuries because they catch players off-guard. As long as rough play is called when it should be (which it was), I don't have any problem with it. Dirty play should be red carded on the spot.

In other words, if you play soccer long enough, you'll fracture a wrist since there will inevitably be some douchebag who tackles you from behind when you least expect it. It happened to me a year ago.
  • Reply 44 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Bergermeister must be sore after that Australia v. Japan match: reminded me of the Milan v. Lyon match in the Champions League. Three late goals: maybe Japan does have the problems Nakata hinted at.

Arrrrgh! See rant above for all the illogical comments I wish to vent.

Japan's goal keeper (Kawaguchi) had a couple of real nice saves (including the double early on). Wow. He had us on the edge of our seats. Fifteen minutes to time, and we were saying, "We've got it." That's when the bottom fell out, and you know the rest.

Japan has some work to do. There is trpouble amongst the ranks as well as trouble connecting with the goal (today there was some lame crossing whcih could have otherwise ended in scores, as well as a couple of lame shots). Japan's defense was not where they needed to be at the end, and that was all it took.
  • Reply 45 of 528
    Perhaps I am calling rough dirty and dirty rough. To me they are rather similar, but your explanation was a good one for showing a difference.

I come from a background in track and field, sailing and rowing, all of which tend to lack dirtiness and roughness.
  • Reply 46 of 528
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    USA GO HOME! haha
  • Reply 47 of 528
    Well, I am kinda glad I am not a USA supporter: 0-2 to the Czech Republic at half-time.

Why is it that soccer doesn't gain popularity in the US? It caught on big time in Japan when the J-League was created in 1992 (first games in 93). In the following 14 years, Japan has made it to the World Cup three times (out of four tries), really raising the popularity of the sport here.
  • Reply 48 of 528
    I think its too complicated for them.
  • Reply 49 of 528
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Down 0 -3 with 10 minutes to go. Listless and no real attack. Hope the Italians forget how to play.

reg
  • Reply 50 of 528
    Ouch. That hurt.
  • Reply 51 of 528
    regreg Posts: 832member
    We get German and English Premier league play where I live. How are the Italians? Are we (US) looking at 0-3 for this cup?

reg
  • Reply 52 of 528
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Well so much for my scenario for the USA making it to knock out round. Will see game when I get home on TIVO. From what I've seen on internet team USA looked outclassed and out of it's league.
  • Reply 53 of 528
    That was the best I have ever seen Czech play. They dictated an extremely fast pace, and they played much, much better than they did in the qualifiers over the last year. That totally changes my perspective of the Czech team, which, as far as I can tell, came off as more impressive than any of the teams I've seen thus far.

Arsenal did well to land Rosicky. I don't give up all hope, as I think Czech has a very real chance at beating Italy. (Go Ghana!)

With that said, Eddie Johnson has one hell of a strike: maybe he can get it on goal in the next two matches.

Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

I think its too complicated for them.

It's because American men are fat, out of shape, and even go so far as to mock people who walk or run as a means of transportation or fitness. They can't identify with a sport where you have to run for 90 minutes instead of 6 second bursts interspersed with time sucking from an oxygen tank. When they finally do give it a chance, they have to watch MLS. I'd bet, though, that the broadcasting of EPL matches has done more to boost interest here than anything else.
  • Reply 54 of 528
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Australia played well today I thought. 3 goals in the space of 7 minutes... they finished well. Japan's goal was pretty controversial and should have been disallowed anyway as there was clearly a foul.

England should do well but they are so boring to watch! Really think Brazil can win. Spain are the dark horses of this world cup... keep an eye on them
  • Reply 55 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Spain are the dark horses of this world cup... keep an eye on them

Speaking about Spain is beatin' up dead horses.
  • Reply 56 of 528
    Quote:

That was the best I have ever seen Czech play. They dictated an extremely fast pace, and they played much, much better than they did in the qualifiers over the last year. That totally changes my perspective of the Czech team, which, as far as I can tell, came off as more impressive than any of the teams I've seen thus far.

I like Nedved. Can't wait for Ghana game, Nedved vs. Essien in midfield will be a WAR.
  • Reply 57 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I like Nedved. Can't wait for Ghana game, Nedved vs. Essien in midfield will be a WAR.

If they play at the pace they did today, it may well be a war, but in the same sense that Rommel dashing tanks across the desert was a war. I am recording the Italy v. Ghana match and will watch tonight (only have time in the day for one two-hour lunch). Gattuso v. Essien may also lead to some interesting battles.
  • Reply 58 of 528
    Quote:

If they play at the pace they did today, it may well be a war, but in the same sense that Rommel dashing tanks across the desert was a war. I am recording the Italy v. Ghana match and will watch tonight (only have time in the day for one two-hour lunch). Gattuso v. Essien may also lead to some interesting battles.

I heard Gattuso was injured and not playing. If he does play that will also be a great battle.
  • Reply 59 of 528
    Based on tonights performances, i predict Italy will beat USA 5-0 and Ghana will beat them 2-0. USA are absolutely the worst team in the competition.
  • Reply 60 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

(only have time in the day for one two-hour lunch)

Where are your priorities!?!?

Have to admit the lack of sleep is beginning to hit me already (some of the matches start at 1:00a.m. our time). For some reason, I cannot record games and watch them later, perhaps because I would already know the score and that spooils the fun.

Starbucks do deliver, don't they?