Official World Cup Thread

Comments

• Reply 81 of 528
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

For half the prize you can probably go to Copa America and get to see much better quality football.

Uhhh, yeah right. I've been to Copa America tourneys before....3 powers...Uruguay, Brasil and the argies against crappy, totally overmatched teams. Some tournament.

And Vox...it's Kaká not Caca. lol
  • Reply 82 of 528
    dojobidojobi Posts: 73member
    Well I think I should stop predicting results You guys were right about Switzerland.
  • Reply 83 of 528
    I do not know where you guys get all this crap about every American teams being crap except for Argentina and Brazil.

1997 Copa America final, Bolivia vs. Brazil

2001 Copa America, Honduras vs. Brazil

1998 World Cup, France vs. Paraguay

2005 Confederaciones Cup, Mexico vs. Brazil

2002 World Cup, USA vs. Portugal

Colombia's qualifying to the 1994 World Cup, including 5-0 win vs. Argentina

And most recently, we have seen Trinidad and Tobago tying with Sweden, Ecuador beating Poland, Paraguay losing because of an own-goal agains England.

I am not arguing that every American team is better than every European team, what I am saying is that you are underestimating them.
  • Reply 84 of 528
    Quote:

Please. That's your proof??? Give me a break. Here, let me break it down for you in numbers that actually mean something.

Most winners Copa America.

Uruguay 14

Argentina 14

Brasil 7

Paraguay and Peru 2

Bolivia and Colombia 1

Uruguay, argies, Brasil = 35 wins.

All the rest: 6

• Reply 85 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Please. That's your proof??? Give me a break. Here, let me break it down for you in numbers that actually mean something.

Most winners Copa America.

Uruguay 14

Argentina 14

Brasil 7

Paraguay and Peru 2

Bolivia and Colombia 1

Uruguay, argies, Brasil = 35 wins.

All the rest: 6

I am not saying that Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay are not the best, because they are. What I am saying is that the rest are not total crap.

That's like saying that just because only Germany, Italy, France and England have won the World Cup, then every other European team sucks, including Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, The Netherlands, etc., which is not true.
  • Reply 86 of 528
    Quote:

That's like saying that just because only Germany, Italy, France and England have won the World Cup, then every other European team sucks, including Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, The Netherlands, etc., which is not true.

There is no comparison. I can't believe you're actually arguing this. Any of the teams you have mentioned above are consistently stronger than any of the teams in South America with the exception of Brasil, Uruguay( though these guys have been in a steady decline for years now) and arg.
  • Reply 87 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Yep, all the time. And none of the ones I've seen has been as impressive as the 1997 Copa America.

Now, the question for you is, have you ever seen Copa America?

Yes: it's not as exciting. You have picked a bad argument, since most of us don't write off the South American teams. FIFA doesn't appear to either, since they gave Mexico the 4th ranking and an undeserving seed in this year's Cup. But in reality, American teams have a hard time beating European teams when it really counts. The problem they seem to have is that so few American teams possess big weapons. In other words, there's not enough diversity in goal scoring to cause a threat to any of the top teams -- every goal has to come from great passing, which is admirable, but it sure is nice to have a big-man than can hold the ball or crack a shot from 30m. All of the top teams the world over are dangerous as soon as they get in the attacking third, and sometimes as soon as they cross the half-line. Mexico is not. Paraguay is not. Costa Rica is not. Most of the big European teams are. Even England, who have been ridiculed for their poor performance, were able to score in a way that only Brazil can match -- a near-perfect direct kick from 40m.
  • Reply 88 of 528
    Another couple of points when "comparing" Copa America with a world cup. You actually have to qualify to a world cup. At least 2 years of competition just to get to a tournament that's played every four years. So yeah, if they're sometimes a little more conservative it's because it's a huge deal to get out of the first round and move through the knockout stages. One mistake could mean wasting years of work.

No qualifying for Copa America. South American countries plus a couple others by special invitation. Played every 2 years (it's been played yearly, every 2 years, every 3 years, every 4 years even etc.) And most telling of all....quite a few times, the top 3 countries have sent their B teams to the Copa America.

Finally, a little bit about that 97 Copa America. Bolivia only made it to the final because they had the advantage of playing at home. What advantage? Playing at VERY high altitudes. How high? Try 13,000 feet.
  • Reply 89 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Uhhh, yeah right. I've been to Copa America tourneys before....3 powers...Uruguay, Brasil and the argies against crappy, totally overmatched teams. Some tournament.

And Vox...it's Kaká not Caca. lol

Well, it is hard to remember all these different names

of different players of different countries correctly.

But of course it is Kaká.
  • Reply 90 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Predictions please

Tunisia vs. Saudi Arabia

1:1

Well, i am gonna shift the result toward

3:1
  • Reply 91 of 528
    Arghh... still 8 hours to wait, i've got that fever,...

Germany, roll it.

• Reply 92 of 528
    haha, yeah it's hard isn't it. It's even worse for me in Australia as the games are in the early hours of the morning, so I spend the day at work thinking about it, and then stay up to watch them. By the next day I'm dead at work from no sleep and the cycle repeats
  • Reply 93 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by dojobi

haha, yeah it's hard isn't it. It's even worse for me in Australia as the games are in the early hours of the morning, so I spend the day at work thinking about it, and then stay up to watch them. By the next day I'm dead at work from no sleep and the cycle repeats

Yeah, i *knew* the Aussie team would be a serious

player in the game, but i didn't expect them that powerful.

Now they are my insider tip. If they can repeat

their performance of their first match, they surly

gonna give Brasilia a nasty gift.

(Though, i don't think they will smack Brasilia,

yet crossing my fingers...)
  • Reply 94 of 528
    Well I'm hoping for that too. I think they CAN do it. Whether they do or not, is another question
  • Reply 95 of 528
    Das Lied der Deutschen (3. Strophe)

Text: Hoffmann von Fallersleben

Melodie: Joseph Haydn

Sorry guys, i couldn't resist (Resistance is futile anyway)
  • Reply 96 of 528
    Quote:

Yep, all the time. And none of the ones I've seen has been as impressive as the 1997 Copa America.

Now, the question for you is, have you ever seen Copa America?

I've seen clips from some of the games over the last 34 years of my life, yeah, and it looks really good. I guess it's as difficult for you to get as excited in the Euro Cup without knowing the countries and the teams as it is for me to get involved in the Copa, but I suppose if you prefer football from the Americas that's cool, I can see why you might.

Now let's talk about the World Cup, which is on my TV right now. Spain are looking super sharp. I'd have expected them to beat Ukraine (I only really know one of their players and he's below his best) and it looks as if they will.
  • Reply 97 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Now let's talk about the World Cup, which is on my TV right now. Spain are looking super sharp. I'd have expected them to beat Ukraine (I only really know one of their players and he's below his best) and it looks as if they will.

Half time, Spain dominates Ukraine very easily.

I thought Ukraine would have been stronger

than they have presented themself in the first half.

Ukraine haven't found a gap to go through yet. And

i doubt they will. Ukra team seem to be exhausted.

(I can't stretch why.)

Tchetchenko is entirely left in the dark by his team players.

What a piti.

Spain is playing at full blast, so to say. I doubt they can

hold this pace in the second half. 30° Celsius, it is a hell

of a heat, is it not? Maybe Spain can beat the heat better

than Ukra, because they are more used to high temperature.

Off 2. half...
  • Reply 98 of 528
    Hell! Penalty to Spain, what the F**K!

Sorry but these referees are sucking very much. stark-blind!!!

Goal. 0:3

EDIT:

End result 0:4 (losing a fortune)

Spain is the winner, and i have to admit this spanish team

is in a pretty good shape. Ukraine was disappointing all the way.

• Reply 99 of 528
    Puyol is the best defender in the world right now.
  • Reply 100 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

FIFA doesn't appear to either, since they gave Mexico the 4th ranking and an undeserving seed in this year's Cup.

Not only that but you can have up to half of COMMEBOL coming to the World Cup, as it should be.