Apple seen delivering "ultra-portable" at Macworld

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer could introduce an "ultra-portable PC" that employs NAND-based flash memory in time for the January Macworld trade show in San Francisco, one Wall Street analyst says.

UBS Investment Research analyst Ben Reitzes said this week his proprietary checks indicate Apple is working on "ultra-portable PCs" and even notebooks equipped with NAND flash memory in order to speed up boot times.

"We believe these new products could start in notebook products with combo-drives (NAND and HDD) or ultra-portables (NAND only), and could be released in time for MacWorld," Reitzes told clients.

Intel, which supplies microprocessors to Apple, has made no secret of its plans to build NAND flash -- a type of solid-state memory commonly found in consumer electronics like digital audio players -- into its own PC logicboard designs.

At its developers conference this past March, the Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker said it would deliver NAND flash features in its forthcoming notebook platform, dubbed Santa Rosa, due in early 2007.

"We need to have devices that boot up very rapidly," Sean Maloney, the head of Intel's mobility group, told developers at the conference. "The same way you come off a plane and get a cell phone signal immediately."

Reitzes also said his surveys and visits to Apple retail locations show a "very positive" reaction to the company's current line of notebook computers: the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

The analyst expects sales of the portables to help drive overall Mac unit growth of 5 percent year-over-year, or 12 percent sequentially, to 1.24 million during Apple's third quarter.

"Checks show the education segment should also lend support to estimates, given June is the time school districts exhaust annual budgets," Reitzes wrote. "With the education segment accounting for approximately 25 percent of US Mac unit sales, we believe both June and July (when new budgets come into play) could see solid growth, especially for MacBooks and iMacs."

The analyst maintains a Buy rating on shares of Apple with a price target of $95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 190
    May I dub thee "MacThin"!

When can I place my order!?
  • Reply 2 of 190
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Please give me 11" or smaller, still squeezing in dual cores and a real GPU. With the option to connect to a larger display and keyboard when needed, I'd have it all.
  • Reply 3 of 190
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Just let me know when I can place an order.
  • Reply 4 of 190
    I was playing around with an old IBM workbook, which is TINY, THIN and runs completely off flash memory, granted it only had a few megs of storage space, it still seemed like the future of portables, back in 1998.

If Apple could streamline this type of notebook, the world would be a better place!
  • Reply 5 of 190
    MacBook Nano????
  • Reply 6 of 190
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think Intel calls the hybrid solid state + HDD technology Robson, it's reputed to make great strides in boot time with just 128MB of some sort of non volatile memory that supplements the hard drive, I don't know if that non volatile memory is battery back-up RAM or some form of flash.

The current best solid state storage I've heard of is something like 32GB in a notebook drive-type form factor, I think it's over a thousand dollars, maybe well over two thousand. I never did find a price for just the drive. Some Asian semiconductor + computer company (I think Samsung or Toshiba) intruduced that drive in a new model ultralight for $3700 total. I want a cool running notebook, but not that badly, any ULV based notebook will serve me well, the power savings and heat reduction is in using a more suitable chip, not in shaving half a watt on the storage.
  • Reply 7 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalMacRat

MacBook Nano????

Score. What a beautiful product it will be. This would seem to finish out the line for Apple. Everything from ultra portable to the Mac Pro (when it comes out). Then no one will have a reason to buy a PC.
  • Reply 8 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It's interesting because I just read an article today as to how poorly the Robeson technology is working in Vista beta 2, as this is the MS OS that will support it.

If Apple intro's these machines in August, then they must have already found a way to support it in the OS. So, if that's true, either 10.4.7 will contain the code, or we will see another update at the convention.
  • Reply 9 of 190
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Bring on 11" or smaller. I am kinda digging 10" myself now but I'll take what I can get!

Now, can I preorder this bad boy or what?
  • Reply 10 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Bring on 11" or smaller. I am kinda digging 10" myself now but I'll take what I can get!

Now, can I preorder this bad boy or what?

Not until Sunil starts his countdown.
  • Reply 11 of 190
    Possible names:

NewtBook

Mac Slvr

Mac Wii
  • Reply 12 of 190
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Please give me 11" or smaller, still squeezing in dual cores and a real GPU. With the option to connect to a larger display and keyboard when needed, I'd have it all.

On the version 1 NAND portable? What purpose would dedicated gpu serve on something like that? The HD would probably be pretty tiny.
  • Reply 13 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by Homestar06

Score. What a beautiful product it will be. This would seem to finish out the line for Apple. Everything from ultra portable to the Mac Pro (when it comes out). Then no one will have a reason to buy a PC.

You mean no reason other than the most common reason people currently don't buy Macs... they're more expensive.
  • Reply 14 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

If Apple intro's these machines in August, then they must have already found a way to support it in the OS. So, if that's true, either 10.4.7 will contain the code, or we will see another update at the convention.

Macworld is in January.
  • Reply 15 of 190
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Woohoo! How many years have people been asking for this? It's about time! So I'll finally be able to replace my PB 12". Of course, I may want to wait for the rev B first. Never buy rev A of Apple or any other hardware. The problems with the cooling and discoloration of the Macbooks is just another reminder of that.
  • Reply 16 of 190
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Ok here is THE Product

Merom proc

GMA X3000 graphics

12.1 LCD screen

2 So-DIMM slots (1GB standard)

40GB Perpendicular 1.8" drive

No optical drive

FW, GigE ethernet, Draft N, BT 2.0

Dock options

3.5- 4lbs

$1699 sell like Hotcakes!
  • Reply 17 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by xanthohappy

You mean no reason other than the most common reason people currently don't buy Macs... they're more expensive.

True...but their beauty alone is worth the extra buck
  • Reply 18 of 190
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xanthohappy

Exactly. Last week, Power Quotient International (PCI) introduced a 64 GB SATA flash drive at the low, low price of $2,000. For Wal-Mart shoppers, there are 32 GB drives available for only $1000. In addition to the bargain basement prices, you get the neck-snapping data rate of 32 MB/sec. Sign me up yesterday!
  • Reply 19 of 190
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Homestar06

True...but their beauty alone is worth the extra buck

You're not paying for the beauty, that's a bonus!
  • Reply 20 of 190
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Maybe the analyst has been reading MacOSRumors... Because without a doubt this heralds the coming of the "MacBook Thin" (followed shortly, of course, by the Gamer's Dream MacBook Pro and iMac)!