VoIP features expected in Apple's Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Software engineers at Apple Computer have been toiling away on a new set of features that will allow users of its next-generation Mac OS X operating system to place phone calls over their Internet connection, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with recent builds of the software say voice over IP (VoIP) Internet dialing is just one of several new features in iChat 4.0, which Apple is expected to bundle with the operating system overhaul, code-named Leopard.

The move will pit the Apple-branded video conferencing and instant message software against existing VoIP solutions from the likes of Skype, Google and Microsoft.

Skype, which began as a small software startup in 2003, is largely accredited with popularizing free Internet telephony through its self-titled software application. The Luxembourg-based company was recently acquired by eBay. It boasts a userbase of over 100 million and offers its software in 27 different languages.

Recently other industry heavyweights have looked to get in on the VoIP craze. Just this month, Microsoft added VoIP features to Windows Live Messenger, which will be available to users of its forthcoming Vista operating system. Meanwhile, Google wedged its foot in the door last year with public beta release of Google Talk, a similar software-based service.

If reports pan out, VoIP functionality won't be the only feature of Apple's Leopard to rival similar offerings from both Google and Microsoft. Earlier this month, sources reported that Apple also appears ripe to introduce a geographic mapping solution with Leopard, similar to Microsoft's Virtual Earth and Google's Maps.

The Apple software, which is simply dubbed "Maps," is also rumored to employ GPS functionally. In the future, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company may leverage the technology to help track stolen Macs or iPods, people familiar with the software have said.

A team of Apple executives is scheduled to formally unveil Leopard during the second week of August at the company's annual World Wide Developers Conference. Although Apple has so far referred to the operating system as "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard," there's a strong possibility that name will change, sources have said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Software engineers at Apple Computer have been toiling away on a new set of features that will allow users of its next-generation Mac OS X operating system to place phone calls over their Internet connection, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with recent builds of the software say voice over IP (VoIP) Internet dialing is just one of several new features in iChat 4.0, which Apple is expected to bundle with the operating system overhaul, code-named Leopard.

The move will pit the Apple-branded video conferencing and instant message software against existing VoIP solutions from the likes of Skype, Google and Microsoft.

So it sounds like we're talking about an end-to-end service, rather than just a third party service client in iChat, right? As in Apple VOIP service? Maybe it will be part of .Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    This is music to my ears. I was hoping Apple wouldn't miss the VOIP train.

iChat AV is a natural for VOIP( I know I know VoIP for the purists)

• Reply 3 of 89
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

If reports pan out, VoIP functionality won't be the only feature of Apple's Leopard to rival similar offerings from both Google and Microsoft. Earlier this month, sources reported that Apple also appears ripe to introduce a geographic mapping solution with Leopard, similar to Microsoft's Virtual Earth and Google's Maps.

The Apple software, which is simply dubbed "Maps," is also rumored to employ GPS functionally. In the future, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company may leverage the technology to help track stolen Macs or iPods, people familiar with the software have said.

Hm, remember in January that Garmin, out of the blue, announced support for OS X?

This reminded me about that when I read the above section.
  • Reply 4 of 89
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Don't change the name, I like it!

So, in order to track the mac, I'm guessing they may include an optional built in GPS sometime? Anything less than optional and people will cry privacy rights.

Can't wait for Leopard...er, OSX Vista Killer. wait a minute, what am I saying? That operating system was released 5 years ago!
  • Reply 5 of 89
    The whole "Maps" business sounds kind of strange - why waste resources on this when there are plenty of other companies already doing similar apps.

But when you think about some of these features in light of a possible Apple UMPC, they make perfect sense: GPS-Navigation, VOIP, etc. . Bring on the iPhone/iTablet/UMPC/MobileMe.

I´ll have two, please
  • Reply 6 of 89
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    Just as long as this VoIP solution is interoperable with other solutions as opposed to being ghettoized in it's .mac world it would be great.

Face it iChat is great until you have to talk to someone. There's no one else around.

Or Apple could release iChat for Windows. Then let the games begin.
  • Reply 7 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Hm, remember in January that Garmin, out of the blue, announced support for OS X?

This reminded me about that when I read the above section.

Even more interesting is MacNN's reporting today that Garmin is delaying OS X support until the end of 2006.

Hmm, curious.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Originally posted by [alloc init]

So it sounds like we're talking about an end-to-end service, rather than just a third party service client in iChat, right? As in Apple VOIP service? Maybe it will be part of .Mac.

We've been using VoIP on OSX since iChat AV beta! This extension would need to provide breakout to the PSTN or open up to other VoIP clients probably using the 'standards-based' approach Apple keep talking about.

Knowing Apple the PSTN access will be resticted to the US only and 'standards-based' isn't 'standards compliant' (always annoying to know you're 95% of the way there!) so it'll be Apples talking to Apples again just like with IM.

I'm not sure any other free 'VoIP' clients are interoperable at this stage.

Here's hoping. McD
  • Reply 9 of 89
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Apple have had the tools to track stolen Macs for years yet refuse to do so.

Apple has a database where their tech support people look up incidents and add new ones. They also have a global database known as GSX that is used by the Authorized Service Providers to check warranty status, review support history, look up parts, submit parts orders and respond to requests for onsite warranty repairs.

If the ownership status of a Mac was included in these databases it would enable both telephone support people and service providers to flag machines as stolen and see immediately if a support or repair request was being made for stolen property.

I worked for an Apple Authorized Service Provider for several years. Customers called us to report thefts. We put the serial numbers on a list for employees to watch for. We often called other dealers nearby to let them know about "hot" machines. Apple, however, had absolutely no interest in helping us and customers who called them directly got told that Apple doesn't track stolen serial numbers.

Like all corporations, Apple doesn't care about anything that doesn't generate revenue.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcloki

Just as long as this VoIP solution is interoperable with other solutions as opposed to being ghettoized in it's .mac world it would be great.

Face it iChat is great until you have to talk to someone. There's no one else around.

iChat works fine with AIM, which is pretty much what everyone uses. Occassionally I meet someone who uses Yahoo though.

The only thing that's mac to mac in my experience so far is multi video, and multi audio chat. So, how is this VoIP going to be different than the current audio chat?
  • Reply 11 of 89
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by windsurfer_nyc

Even more interesting is MacNN's reporting today that Garmin is delaying OS X support until the end of 2006.

Hmm, curious.

Bingo! Good one.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

iChat works fine with AIM, which is pretty much what everyone uses. Occassionally I meet someone who uses Yahoo though.

The only thing that's mac to mac in my experience so far is multi video, and multi audio chat. So, how is this VoIP going to be different than the current audio chat?

This is pretty much everything I was thinking.

Everyone I know uses AIM so iChat is no problem. I've already been talking to friends over my computer whether its Mac or PC.

The only new part that can be added by VOIP to iChat is the abiltiy to make calls to regular phone numbers.

Cell phone text messaging in iChat would be a nice addition however.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Earlier this month, sources reported that Apple also appears ripe to introduce a geographic mapping solution with Leopard, similar to Microsoft's Virtual Earth and Google's Maps.

Unless there is some strategic reason I don't know of, I can't see Apple doing this. Why reinvent the wheel?

I think its a good idea to build global mapping and GPS software. The software should be the front end of Google Earth. Google has already put a great deal of effort into it, it makes no sense why Apple would not use their service.

I would love integrated GPS however becuase I know of several PC people who like to use GPS software as a reason they will not buy a Mac.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    coughiPodpatentscough
  • Reply 15 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Although Apple has so far referred to the operating system as "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard," there's a strong possibility that name will change, sources have said.

Bring it on! "Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard" confuses people. I don't have any idea what they could do, but they should think about it.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    Just a crazy thought, but could they be jumping the gun to OS 11? You know, to make it look like OSX is making a giant leap the same as Vista is?
  • Reply 17 of 89
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Just a crazy thought, but could they be jumping the gun to OS 11? You know, to make it look like OSX is making a giant leap the same as Vista is?

Nah. "OS XI" just doesn't have the same visual appeal. Apple will likely rebrand OS X before hitting version 11
  • Reply 18 of 89
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Uhm sorry, but in Europe NOBODY uses AIM!!!

Everyone I know that uses IM is using MSN, followed by google talk/gmail chat or skype chat. ICQ had some following some years ago but now it is those three. No Yahoo either.

So i would love to use iChat for videochat but know exactly 0 people I'd like to iChat to that actually own a Mac.

Edit: so for now I'm stuck to adium for IM and skype for VoIP.
  • Reply 19 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcloki

"Or Apple could release iChat for Windows. Then let the games begin." GREAT!!
  • Reply 20 of 89
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

"Or Apple could release iChat for Windows. Then let the games begin." GREAT!!

Could not agree more!