MOSR's new iMac Mockup and Report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Check out Part 2 of MOSR's report <a href="http://www.mosr.com/"; target="_blank">here.</a>

Here's the new mockup:

--------

Fandango

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The thing I really agree with them about is the lack of G5s at MWSF. Sorry everyone.
  • Reply 2 of 94
    MOSR is not always right. At this point I will not believe anyone but Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Already being discussed
  • Reply 4 of 94
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    There are some good design ideas with this mockup, but eeeeeeek, that looks like going backwards toward more FisherPrice, than forward to iBookesque and beyond.
  • Reply 5 of 94
    As much as I hate MOSR, I think that the new iMac will look a lot like that.

It's a pretty good design, IMO.

SdC
  • Reply 6 of 94
    It may look toy-like in this line drawing, but I betcha that if this IS the design, it will look a lot better if it has the iBook/iPod materials & surfaces.

.... not to say that I think MOSR has nailed the new iMac design....
  • Reply 7 of 94
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Guys, I really have to say that sucks. Sorry.

It's nothing more than a squished down iMac "jellybean", only smaller, with an LCD ham-handedly stuck on the top/front.

The speakers, the optical drive ring, the shape of the body in the back ALL look the same as the current iMac.

I ain't buying it. In just the way that the current iBooks look NOTHING like their predecessor, these new iMacs will be a radical departure from the current iMac.

That's a lazy, stupid approach (the drawing above). I'm sorry, but squishing stuff down, pulling things out sideways, etc. is NOT cutting edge or doesn't constitute a revolutionary redesign.

That's some guy with Illustrator, posting what HE thinks it'll look like. Believe me, that's VERY easy to do.

The drawing is nice, actually (as a drawing and all...the mechanics are nice), but the actual iMac design sucks.

I'm on record with: "BULLSHIT".

I'm going to be absolutely CRUSHED (and will simply buy an iBook instead) if this is actually the best Apple could come up with.

But I think I'm safe on this one. FOR GOD'S SAKE, it's MOSR!

• Reply 8 of 94
    pscates, if you have some time, please post your LCD iMac mockup from a long time ago. I believe you did several mockups, but the best was the Lime Green one with the specs next to it.

If I remember right, although humorous in nature, some of those specs could be right on...

----

Fandango
  • Reply 9 of 94
    And WHAT in the hell is the deal with that mouse?

DOUBLE bullshit!

I HATE when people do mockups and take some feature that is on another Apple product and cram it into their "vision" of another, just because.

Yeah, the wheel thing on the iPod IS cool. But what in the hell would you have it on a mouse for?

Yes, Apple - after 15 or more years - is going to drop the single button mouse, NOT in favor of a rational 2-button/scroll wheel design, but rather some stupid 6-button job?

To me, that stupid fücking mouse is the dead giveaway that this mockup (and MOSR in general) are full of it.
  • Reply 10 of 94
    I think that this is real close to what it'll be. The design has ties to the past but is still different enough to catch the eye of ordinary folk. I also think that it will not be called the iMac but will called the SpaceMac, as in it uses less space.

[quote]Originally posted by Fandango:

<strong>Check out Part 2 of MOSR's report <a href="http://www.mosr.com/"; target="_blank">here.</a>

Here's the new mockup:

--------

Fandango</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 10 of 94
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Come on now. I wouldn't wipe my ass with that thing.
  • Reply 12 of 94
    I think the iMac will more or less be just cube internals wrapped in a small rounded polycarb shell and attached to an LCD.

The 7"x7" mobo, the peripheral connectors pushed out through the front instead of the bottom, and the optical drive pushed out though the front instead of the top.

The good thing about this prediction is that the old cube motherboard doesn't have a built in AGP controller, so say hello to choosing your own agp card! (Edit: winky smile)

SdC

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 94
    Uh, pscates, I think that is simply showing the transparency of an optical mouse. It has that exact ring on the bottom of it. I think that was put there to give the illusion of transparency, albeit very poorly.

Just a thought.

---

Fandango
  • Reply 14 of 94
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I doubt this is the design of Jon Ive's hand. There are too many elements that are simply cut & paste from the current iMac, and that is not design, certainly not Jon ive's idea of design. The ventilation holes, the speakers, the curve of the back blob, even the Pro Mouse-cum-iPod! I think this is the work of a rather uncreative chap. Sorry, as many problems as there are with Mac hardware, shell design isn't one of them.

I still think the iMac's design will not be a plane with a goiter. Only if the screen is detachable will it even remotely resemble this. It is more likely to be a true all-in-one -- one form, one profile. I think to get stability, depth for the hardware and to keep the edges thin, they will make the plan profile roughly triangular (not sharp corners or anything).

Oh, and the hinge for the screen looks suspiciously perfunctory. Apple's previous designs pay a lot of attention to it.

I've been wrong before, but it's just my sensibility that is not a designer's work.

[edit: grammar]

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Guys, I really have to say that sucks. Sorry.

It's nothing more than a squished down iMac "jellybean", only smaller, with an LCD ham-handedly stuck on the top/front.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This from a guy who basically squashed a TAM for his mock-up......

Anyway, there's not much you can do with "small" and "LCD" as you primary design drivers.

The only three I can think of:

-LCD in front, computer strapped to it's back (no example)

-LCD on top, computer horizontal and below (MOSR's design)

-LCD on top, computer vertical and below (TAM)

Beyond that, it's just bells and whistles.

Sdc
  • Reply 16 of 94
    That pic at MOSR is butt-ugly, IMO. I don't think the next iMac will look like that, it's going to be more minimalist, with cleaner lines, and more straight edges.

But no way does Apple add an AGP slot to the iMac. The whole point of an iMac is that it's disposable, so people have to replace it more often. It designed to be disposable. Even if Apple used a Cube mobo, they would remove the agp slot and solder the video card onto the mobo, because Apple figures they will make more money in extra sales with a non-upgradeable ass-video card. I think they're wrong, but that's how it is.
  • Reply 17 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>That pic at MOSR is butt-ugly, IMO. I don't think the next iMac will look like that, it's going to be more minimalist, with cleaner lines, and more straight edges.

But no way does Apple add an AGP slot to the iMac. The whole point of an iMac is that it's disposable, so people have to replace it more often. It designed to be disposable. Even if Apple used a Cube mobo, they would remove the agp slot and solder the video card onto the mobo, because Apple figures they will make more money in extra sales with a non-upgradeable ass-video card. I think they're wrong, but that's how it is.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, i was gonna put a winky smile there, but forgot.....

SdC
  • Reply 18 of 94
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    That pic from MOSR is the uglist out of all the kockups that've been around. Doesn't look like something that Jon Ives would ever think of.
  • Reply 19 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>This from a guy who basically squashed a TAM for his mock-up...... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Touché

However, my TAM thing looks quite different from the current iMac. It isn't a cop out or a "scale down or alter existing features and try to make them work..." kinda job. I got my inspiration from an entirely different computer, taking the coolest thing from the TAM and thinking of that general shape, giving it the modern iBook/iPod glossy white look.

I put A LITTLE thought into mine.

[quote]Originally posted by fandango:

<strong>pscates, if you have some time, please post your LCD iMac mockup from a long time ago. I believe you did several mockups, but the best was the Lime Green one with the specs next to it.

If I remember right, although humorous in nature, some of those specs could be right on...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fandango, here you go:

Now remember, this was well over a year ago. The Key Lime iBook had just been announced, so that's where I got the green from. Remember, at this time, all the iStuff was STILL curvy and colorful.

So take all that into account. It's an old drawing. But yeah, some of the specs don't sound as funny now as they did 18 months ago!

• Reply 20 of 94
    I like that one alot!

Check out MichaelM's new mock-up:

SdC