MOSR's new iMac Mockup and Report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    imagine the back of this mock-up stretched deeper, at least along the base (to accommodate the depth of a CD, the main guts and USB, Firewire, etc. connections). The cooling chimney would be split if the CD stay centered and horizontal. Until tomorrow when I might have the energy to sketch something:

• Reply 62 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>A rocking iMac... heh. Not bad on the eyes. At least it's more unique than an Apple Studio Display ripoff, like 95% of the iMac mockups are. (cough)

Anyway, I'd really like to see an iBook-styled LCD display with pivot on a long rod with a counterbalance on the otherside, connected to a stand, the base of which contains optical drives and I/O. Kinda like this one (possibly B+O) Apple Design prototype of the early to mid 90s, if I knew where a picture of it was I would post.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: bradbower ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

a feeble attempt to mesh that design with iBook sensibilities

• Reply 63 of 94
    In Michael's mock-up, the problem isn't weight, it's the center of gravity -- a problem of torque. Plus even in the best case, it could roll with a good push or knock. However, you can turn this into an advantage by allowing the screen angle to be adjusted this way. It's just a matter of how you hold it in place once you've adjusted it.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Uh... Bob.... I'm really not sure what to say about that pic dude.

Slightly less than awe inspiring.

• Reply 65 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Uh... Bob.... I'm really not sure what to say about that pic dude.

Slightly less than awe inspiring.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Aw shucks blushes it was nothing
  • Reply 66 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

In this thread and the one that you originally posted the mockup in you've been arguing with everyone who doesn't agree with you. You gotta realize just because you think something it doesn't mean everyone has to agree. Just calm down and don't make comments about people because they don't share your opinion.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of aditude. You guys are looking at it and right away asuming that it could not be done. When all it would take is a little clever engenering and mabe a little adjstments of the location of parts. But if can be done. And for people to look at it and with out even trying to think of a way to make it work say it dose not work pisses me off. But no hard feelings.

Here is little digrame I made of how my iMac would sort of work.

• Reply 67 of 94
    ROFL!
  • Reply 67 of 94
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey Bob, you're not a Killer Tomato, are you?

Just a big fan of that movie...

<a href="http://www.badmovies.org/movies/killtomato/killtomato-song.wav"; target="_blank">http://www.badmovies.org/movies/killtomato/killtomato-song.wav</a>;

<a href="http://multimedia.badmovies.org/movies/killtomato1.mpg"; target="_blank">http://multimedia.badmovies.org/movies/killtomato1.mpg</a>;

OK, I'm obviously getting bored here... time to hit the sack.

• Reply 69 of 94
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>

It is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of aditude. You guys are looking at it and right away asuming that it could not be done. When all it would take is a little clever engenering and mabe a little adjstments of the location of parts. But if can be done. And for people to look at it and with out even trying to think of a way to make it work say it dose not work pisses me off. But no hard feelings.

Here is little digrame I made of how my iMac would sort of work.

I think in some ways you're right, it is the attitude, but still it's not like one person's been saying it. It's been quite a few people and I tend to agree with them. The more and more I think about it, the harder it would be for them to make it possible, especially with the thing you just came up with because it doesn't look like the arrows are pointing anywhere. Well like you said, no hard feelings.
  • Reply 70 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>imagine the back of this mock-up stretched deeper, at least along the base (to accommodate the depth of a CD, the main guts and USB, Firewire, etc. connections). The cooling chimney would be split if the CD stay centered and horizontal. Until tomorrow when I might have the energy to sketch something:

Aren't you better off putting the CD in the side vertically like the Gateways do ? Unless you need the depth for anything else ?

Michael
  • Reply 71 of 94
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by mmurray:

<strong>

Aren't you better off putting the CD in the side vertically like the Gateways do ? Unless you need the depth for anything else ?

Michael</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    I was thinking you'd want a fairly large volume for the cooling chimney too, though as I said the horizontal CD would push it to either side (the CD drive blocks the chimney from reaching the bottom of the chassis where it would draw in cooler convection air). Also I figured the rest of the guts could use some room. I imagine the computer guts tends not to climb up the back of the monitor but rather tends to gravitate towards the base since your plugs are down there, it would improve the balance of the thing (keep a low center of gravity) and keep most of the heat-generating parts low which would create the convection cooling currents. Those guts I'd imagine would need more depth to fill out correctly if they're not going to be pancaked vertically against the back of the thing. It's essentially the "blob" of stuff other mock-ups show, only the chassis doesn't express it as a blob and a plane but instead expresses it as all one profile. It might taper a bit towards the top (the monitor's tilt would taper it perhaps and the back would be straight?) Dunno. Hey, I'm not an industrial designer or anything.
  • Reply 73 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Hey Bob, you're not a Killer Tomato, are you?

No, I'm a flying tomato

• Reply 74 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by mmurray:

<strong>

Michael</strong><hr></blockquote>

a Side-mounted CD is IMHO a non user-friendly solution. You have to find the slot and then if the unit is tilted you have to line it up. For a botique Computer like the Gateway Solo it might be acceptable but for a Machine destined for a lot of classrooms it doesn't work that well.
  • Reply 75 of 94
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Hmm, yeah, that's.. along the lines of what I was thinking, Bob Tomato. Heh. Thanks. I'd put the speakers in the monitor part, though, and make the base a rounded squareish thing (like a short, fat Cube, maybe.. it could even have a vertical combo/superdrive). Though I don't so much envy your.. unique talents.. I'm envious of your willingness to make a mockup. Good for you! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to Walmart to purchase a few 3lb tubs of Play-doh for my mockup.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    Wail We are talking about mock-up I thoght I would bring back some of my newer but less seen iMac LCD mock ups.

and

and also this G4 Tower...

• Reply 77 of 94
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    You guys forget to read this part of the MOSR desription?

"Well, here's a reader-submitted sketch of a possible flat panel iMac design that we're told by Apple sources is not at all exact, but shows many of the principles the real thing employs:"

Bad design - yes.

Some good ideas in it? maybe.

better drawign skills? sure.

Honestly, the silliest thing in the wolrd would be to repeat that bubble iMac shape if you're goign with an LCD. That's just reminding everyone of the horrible size of old CRTs - you'd want to accent the slim-ness of the LCD - not counteract it.

I don't know what the new iMac will look like - but it will be something to showcase and reinforce the slickness of the LCD screen.

Maybe something like a thicker version of the current 15" LCD . . .

I also don't see the iMac becoming detachable either . . . a battery adds an extra equation that wouldnt previously exist and also infringe on laptop territory . . .

Not that I would rule the idea out completely - just not with a full-power desktop-like system.

I'm thinking this supposed wireless monitor thing is for pro-sumers/professionals more than for consumers.

consumers like to sit down use the computer, and then get up and walk away . . .

at least, for now . . .
  • Reply 78 of 94

<strong>

It is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of aditude. You guys are looking at it and right away asuming that it could not be done.

Like looking at my toilet seat and thinking..."that could never be a computer design, could it?...Nah!"

Anyway...that design submitted to MOSR is just an LCD leaning against an airport base station...blah.
  • Reply 79 of 94
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member

<strong></strong><hr></blockquote>

the point the "feet" touches the desk is the point where your arrow is. It would kinda work but not to the extend you drawn it (because the weight oft the sand is the turning point, not the front of the display*).

Aside from that the design is pretty cool , I like it.

bye.

*ouch, it´s hard to explain technical stuff like that in a foreign language.
  • Reply 80 of 94
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>

Like looking at my toilet seat and thinking..."that could never be a computer design, could it?...Nah!"

Anyway...that design submitted to MOSR is just an LCD leaning against an airport base station...blah. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Lo original ibook

Amorya