MOSR's new iMac Mockup and Report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorya:

<strong>

Lo original ibook

Amorya</strong><hr></blockquote>

yup and I am sitting in my recliner typing on it right now...totally wireless...sweet.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Horned_Frog ]</p>
  • Reply 82 of 94
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by cinder:

<strong>

Honestly, the silliest thing in the wolrd would be to repeat that bubble iMac shape if you're goign with an LCD. That's just reminding everyone of the horrible size of old CRTs - you'd want to accent the slim-ness of the LCD - not counteract it.

I don't know what the new iMac will look like - but it will be something to showcase and reinforce the slickness of the LCD screen.

Maybe something like a thicker version of the current 15" LCD . . .

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're wrong. It would make no sense for Apple to put the guts of the machine anywhere near the LCD. If they do that the'll have a third laptop. You and others might not like the idea, but the MOSR picture, although not good, is a lot closer to the truth than anything else we've seen.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: imacSE ]</p>
  • Reply 83 of 94
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>You and others might not like the idea, but the MOSR picture, although not good, is a lot closer to the truth than anything else we've seen.</strong><hr></blockquote>

true, I don´t like the idea. It´s just sooo ugly (the MOSR mockup), Apple never would even think about making anything close to that. Where is the simplicity and the elegance. I tend to agree with the others who are saying it´ll bee more like the StudioDisplays.

bye.
  • Reply 84 of 94
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Just spitballing here, but what if it was gyroscopically balanced? You could have the entire unit balance on a point. Its attitude could be adjusted just by moving it where you wanted and it would stay there, and it would give the appearance of defying gravity - what could more emphasize thinness? Granted, it would fall over if the power went out, but still... how cool would that look?
  • Reply 85 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by a10t2:

<strong>gyroscopically balanced iMac</strong><hr></blockquote>

give Apple a call and ask them for a job.

That thing would be waaaay cool.

bye.
  • Reply 86 of 94
    I find it really amazing that Apple will release a new iMac.. and none of us really know what it will look like! Nice job Apple.
  • Reply 87 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by a10t2:

<strong>Just spitballing here, but what if it was gyroscopically balanced? ... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Steve DID say that Ginger was going to change the world. Maybe he borrowed the... nah. Nevermind.
  • Reply 88 of 94
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    iGo!

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: S10 ]</p>
  • Reply 89 of 94
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by S10:

<strong>iGo!

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: S10 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That thing's pretty ugly.
  • Reply 90 of 94
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    "You're wrong. It would make no sense for Apple to put the guts of the machine anywhere near the LCD. If they do that the'll have a third laptop. You and others might not like the idea, but the MOSR picture, although not good, is a lot closer to the truth than anything else we've seen"

What makes a laptop a laptop?

A battery, limited hardware . . .

I don't see that the iMac would necessarily have either of these things.

( i don't think this luggable tablet is the same thing, personally)

and form should follow function.

I don't see Ives/Jobs sitting there saying "No, that design is great, and it works - but I just think it might bite into iBook sales because it looks too similar. So let's just do the unnatural thing and change the design so it doesn't look like laptop.

That doesn't make much sense to me.

The TAM wasn't a laptop because it was similar to one.

If I may quote a certain soap-related movie:

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!"
  • Reply 91 of 94
    Wacked it up quickly so excuse the crudeness. The back side would be curved so that the middle is wide enough to hold the guts and the left and right edges thin enough for the flat speakers to show through the back. Besides the front two legs, there could be a third rear one or it could just rest on its "butt."

Having the speakers throw both ways might be annoying in an office (depending on volume) but would give a wider sound field if near a wall--good for games.

Just an amusement.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MemeTransport ]</p>
  • Reply 92 of 94
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by cinder:

[QB]

I don't see Ives/Jobs sitting there saying "No, that design is great, and it works - but I just think it might bite into iBook sales because it looks too similar. So let's just do the unnatural thing and change the design so it doesn't look like laptop.

That doesn't make much sense to me.

<hr></blockquote>

Looking like a laptop is not the point. Laptops cost a lot because they are small and thus the components are much more specialized and smaller than you'd find in a desktop. If you put the CPU and media drive behind a modifed 15" studio display you would be dealing with the same contraints laptops have to work with. It would not make sense for Apple to box themselves in like that. It's much more logical to have a base somewhat like the current iMac, only smaller, and attach the display to the front.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by MemeTransport:

<strong>Wacked it up quickly so excuse the crudeness. The back side would be curved so that the middle is wide enough to hold the guts and the left and right edges thin enough for the flat speakers to show through the back. Besides the front two legs, there could be a third rear one or it could just rest on its "butt."

Having the speakers throw both ways might be annoying in an office (depending on volume) but would give a wider sound field if near a wall--good for games.

Just an amusement.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MemeTransport ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

==============

the most interesting part of your design is the built-in webcam...i'd love to see apple take an interest in teleconferencing...especially with the sorry state of CUSeeMe for mac...
  • Reply 94 of 94
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>the MOSR picture, although not good, is a lot closer to the truth than anything else we've seen</strong><hr></blockquote>

you were right.

dammit

bye.