Mac mini shortage suggests product changes

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

Where did you see that? A 100Gb 2.5" HD is still a fairly pricey component for a low end machine, I'd expect that that was a mistake, and not a predictor of things to come.

David

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-08-31/#5869
  • Reply 122 of 140
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by code mechanic

just saw this. Can anyone confirm??

I have ordered a Mac mini Core solo with 1GB of RAM last Saturday to use it as a server, and what a surprise when I received the box!

My Mac mini has been upgraded:

- Core Duo 1.66GHz instead of Core Solo 1.5GHz

- HD 100GB instead of 60GB

- and a SuperDrive instead of a Combo!

Thanks Apple !

On the box, the specifications are those of a Mac mini Core Solo...

You paid the Core solo price?

That's a pretty good deal!

If Apple is doing this because they are running out of Mini's, in prep for an updated model, then you might be lucky you ordered now, depending on what the upgraded model is, and at what price.

If they are doing another "stealth" upgrade, that's even better, but their marketing would be poor. People would buy this at that price if they knew what was in the box.
  • Reply 123 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

Where did you see that? A 100Gb 2.5" HD is still a fairly pricey component for a low end machine, I'd expect that that was a mistake, and not a predictor of things to come.

David

He said he ordered it. That is, the guy posting in HardMac.
  • Reply 124 of 140
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I would hope that they actually change the specs on the web site. I would have been more likely to buy one if I knew that I was getting a Duo and Super Drive instead of the Solo and Combo. As is I wouldn't take the chance.
  • Reply 125 of 140
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Bigger HD, super drive on Apple's cheapest, most likely to sit near your TV machine?

If the "silent upgrade" is for real, it sounds like it might be a move to position the Mini as a movie download/burn to DVD machine. I guess Apple branded DVR functionality is just too much to hope for.
  • Reply 126 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Bigger HD, super drive on Apple's cheapest, most likely to sit near your TV machine?

If the "silent upgrade" is for real, it sounds like it might be a move to position the Mini as a movie download/burn to DVD machine. I guess Apple branded DVR functionality is just too much to hope for.

I think it would have to be one or the other.

Looking at the problems Tivo has had by itself, that's understandable.
  • Reply 127 of 140
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

I guess Apple branded DVR functionality is just too much to hope for.

The MacMini (in its current form) as a DVR concept has been a joke since day one. Allow me to list the reasons:

First, the laptop HDDs; in consumer applications, there is a rule about HDDs; Large capacity, small space, reasonable price; Pick any 2: the Mac Mini would need to get a desktop drive so it could as standard, have a 160 gig HDD, most HD HVRs from cable cos are about 120, that allows 40 gig for the other stuff, which still wouldnt be enough.

Second: it would need HDMI/HDCP, and that makes it useless as a computer to anyone who gives a shit about consumer rights...(good-bye video flexability, hello using only the streams and codecs and players that Hollywood signs off on, and with a simple whim of those in control, good-bye ability to do things like break the unfair region code on DVDs and playback the ripped-result; put simply fuck fair use)

third: It would need a cablecard slot and tuner hardware, that is less of a problem because a FW standalone box could do that.
  • Reply 128 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

The MacMini (in its current form) as a DVR concept has been a joke since day one. Allow me to list the reasons:

First, the laptop HDDs; in consumer applications, there is a rule about HDDs; Large capacity, small space, reasonable price; Pick any 2: the Mac Mini would need to get a desktop drive so it could as standard, have a 160 gig HDD, most HD HVRs from cable cos are about 120, that allows 40 gig for the other stuff, which still wouldnt be enough.

Second: it would need HDMI/HDCP, and that makes it useless as a computer to anyone who gives a shit about consumer rights...(good-bye video flexability, hello using only the streams and codecs and players that Hollywood signs off on, and with a simple whim of those in control, good-bye ability to do things like break the unfair region code on DVDs and playback the ripped-result; put simply fuck fair use)

third: It would need a cablecard slot and tuner hardware, that is less of a problem because a FW standalone box could do that.

Most of those concerns aren't major. They just aren't supplied by Apple.

The only thing lacking that can't be made up by a third party, is HDCP. Either that's built-in to the video, or it isn't.

EDIT:

I forgot to add that both Sony and Toshiba, as well as most of the studios have said that they won't prevent hi-def from going over to a hi-rez monitor, at least for a few years, without HDCP present.
  • Reply 129 of 140
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I forgot to add that both Sony and Toshiba, as well as most of the studios have said that they won't prevent hi-def from going over to a hi-rez monitor, at least for a few years, without HDCP present.

if they ever do it, there will be a class action law suit faster than you can say bloodsucking bottom-feeding lawyers...loads of people bought HDTVs without HDMI/HDCP, which just came out like 1.5 years ago; (HDTVs have been sold in major retail chains for ~6 years or so) lots of folks will buy these and hook them up via component, and if down the road they cant use them because the company basicly deceived them into buying up the tech, well...it will be messy
  • Reply 130 of 140
    Quote:

also there are no slots for a tv card.
  • Reply 131 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

also there are no slots for a tv card.

That was his point #3. Also, there are no Mac tuner cards - most of them are USB based. Like the EyeTV EZ I'm getting.
  • Reply 132 of 140
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

That was his point #3. Also, there are no Mac tuner cards - most of them are USB based. Like the EyeTV EZ I'm getting.

There were a couple PCI tuner cards for the Mac but obviously that has a limited market as there were no consumer machines with PCI slots, and the workstations dropped them nearly a year ago. The Linux-based MythTV system has an option to tap into the firewire ports on satellite & cable boxes, I don't know if there is a Mac equivalent system that can use that port.
  • Reply 133 of 140
    Quote:

if they ever do it, there will be a class action law suit faster than you can say bloodsucking bottom-feeding lawyers...loads of people bought HDTVs without HDMI/HDCP, which just came out like 1.5 years ago; (HDTVs have been sold in major retail chains for ~6 years or so) lots of folks will buy these and hook them up via component, and if down the road they cant use them because the company basicly deceived them into buying up the tech, well...it will be messy

Yeah. It's the lack of HDCP that has them doing this. I think, from what I've read, that by the time most people do have it they might enforce it.

But, you know, it all depends on what is happening with piracy. If it isn't too bad, they may not bother, but if it is, they may try it sooner.
  • Reply 134 of 140
    The real lawsuits will come when someone uses AACS in the new Blu Ray or HD DVD players to disable players whose codes have been cracked. Once we start seeing Sony disabling working BR players and forcing consumers to buy new ones because of "piracy", well, it'll be ugly.
  • Reply 135 of 140
    Quote:

The real lawsuits will come when someone uses AACS in the new Blu Ray or HD DVD players to disable players whose codes have been cracked. Once we start seeing Sony disabling working BR players and forcing consumers to buy new ones because of "piracy", well, it'll be ugly.

The player revocation is for a specific player, not all players of a model.
  • Reply 136 of 140
    No, it's for a specific key. Each manufacturer will get a set number of keys, and will put them in their machines. You can't just brickify one machine.
  • Reply 137 of 140
    Quote:

No, it's for a specific key. Each manufacturer will get a set number of keys, and will put them in their machines. You can't just brickify one machine.

Yes there is. It's not a simple single key system. The basic concept is covered here:

http://www.lotspiech.com/AACS/
  • Reply 138 of 140
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It doesn't matter. Any and all copy protection schemes can and will be cracked. When video DVDs were introduced, CSS was called "uncrackable" by the industry. The media bought it. They were wrong.
  • Reply 139 of 140
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

It doesn't matter. Any and all copy protection schemes can and will be cracked.

Spot on. Although somewhat diifferent, see here for a recent (and worrying) example.
  • Reply 140 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

It doesn't matter. Any and all copy protection schemes can and will be cracked. When video DVDs were introduced, CSS was called "uncrackable" by the industry. The media bought it. They were wrong.

There is a way to beat this, and that is to make the distribution easily available and innexpensive enough to make "cracking" it not worth the effort for the vast majoriaty of people. I'm not sure what that price is, but 99¢ seems to work pretty well for songs. I doubt that $20 for a movie will do it since most people will feel a little "cheated" since they are not getting the physical DVD and the "extras" they will expect a better deal.