Mac mini shortage suggests product changes

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer is once again denying resellers and large partners the ability to place bulk orders for its petite Mac mini desktop computers, often an indicator that new models are on the horizon.

A blogger who works for a colocation firm recently tried to order "a bunch" of the computers to use as Mac mini servers but was turned down. "I was told by the reseller (name withdrawn so they don’t get in trouble) that they can’t take big orders," the blogger wrote, "but after Labor Day they’d be able to ship plenty of the new model."

The same blogger in February reported on a similar instance in which he was unable to obtain a large order of Apple's then PowerPC-based Mac minis. Within days of the report, Apple introduced its Intel-based Mac mini line.

Bolstering the blogger's latest report is independent confirmation from a well-placed AppleInsider source who claims that Apple's refusal to fill large orders is worldwide. Mac mini availability is expected to improve within two weeks time when new shipments begin, the source said.

Both reports insinuate that Apple is gearing up for post-Labor Day product introductions.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider reported that Apple had begun preparations for its fall product launches. Specifically, it was reported that the Mac maker was preparing for massive air-freight shipments from the Far East that were due to drop in the United States around the 5th of September -- the day after Labor Day.

Also by next month, the Cupertino, Calif-based company is expected to update its MacBook Pro notebooks with Intel's latest Core 2 Duo processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 140
    although nothing was mentioned about the imac in this article i can only assume that its release wont be far off if not at the same time.
  • Reply 2 of 140
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Excellent news. I've been wanting to get a new mini and had decided I'd wait till Apple updated the line. I figured it'd be a couple of months, but it sounds like it'll be sooner. I'm expecting no major changes except it probably getting the Core 2 Duo. Probably not even a change to the motherboard. A faster hard drive would be a welcome addition though.
  • Reply 3 of 140
    Yeah, it's got to be C2D related which is only good news for all the other lines as well. Core 2 Duo's for everyone!
  • Reply 4 of 140
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    you never know, they could be working on making it more of a comprehensive entertainment solution. (e.g. uncover the iPod dock on top, or add TV support). Not that I think there's really any chance of this, but hey, why not feed the rumor fire, especially with fuel being so scarce these days.
  • Reply 5 of 140
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    would be nice if the mini is Core 2 Duo, and at least the 965 chipset with the GMA3000 video. id rather have a low-mid ATI or nvidia card, but the GMA3000 is much better then the current GMA950s
  • Reply 6 of 140
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Any speculation on processor speed? I guess I am glad I did not order the Mac mini yesterday

A cut in price would also be a nice addition but I doubt that will happen.
  • Reply 7 of 140
    <Dons flame retardant Merlin Robes and the pointy Predicto!!! Hat>

Predicto Sayeth that we will see a mobile counterpart to the Mini featuring a touchscreen/pen hybrid display along with updates to the existing product line!

Predicto hath spoken!!!

<Dives for the bomb shelter!>
  • Reply 8 of 140
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

<Dons flame retardant Merlin Robes and the pointy Predicto!!! Hat>

Predicto Sayeth that we will see a mobile counterpart to the Mini featuring a touchscreen/pen hybrid display along with updates to the existing product line!

Predicto hath spoken!!!

<Dives for the bomb shelter!>

Hey, wishing never hurt anybody. Well, except of course when your wish is for someone to get hurt, and then you hurt them.
  • Reply 9 of 140
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Excellent. I was asking about this here only days ago. This report should spare me embarrassment since I'm helping a switcher pick a new mini and I didn't want them to get one just before a refresh. I'll just tell them to wait a few more days.
  • Reply 10 of 140
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Sucks no word on the iMac. I am freekn dieing to place my order fora C2D iMac 23".

8)
  • Reply 11 of 140
    bommaibommai Posts: 24member
    With Apple's own Cinema Displays costing less these days, I wonder if Apple will drop the price of the 17" iMac to $1000 and drop the 20" iMac to $1299 and may be have a bigger one at the top end. LCDs are coming down in price like crazy. I wish they would put a TV tuner in it also and incorporate eyeTV features into Front Row. The latest eyeTV hybrid (USB 2.0 based) looks very tempting.
  • Reply 12 of 140
    I really hope the rumours are true and that the next revision will allow you to open it up to change the RAM and the hard drive. If Apple delivers such a box, the company I work for is ready to buy two hundred of them to replace Windows boxes. They love the current mini I have setup for testing, but are apprehensive about the closed-box void-the-warranty-if-opened nature.

Being able to change the hard drive is key for data retention purposes should employees be terminated. The RAM is a nice-to-have.
  • Reply 13 of 140
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx

I really hope the rumours are true and that the next revision will allow you to open it up to change the RAM and the hard drive. If Apple delivers such a box, the company I work for is ready to buy two hundred of them to replace Windows boxes. They love the current mini I have setup for testing, but are apprehensive about the closed-box void-the-warranty-if-opened nature.

Being able to change the hard drive is key for data retention purposes should employees be terminated. The RAM is a nice-to-have.

Will it void the warranty on a mini? I did it on mine and it seemed so simple that is shocking news.

Ouch!
  • Reply 14 of 140
    Quote:

? why not just take the whole mini? Does your company get some sort of sick pleasure in seeing about-to-be-canned employees come in in the morning, fire up their macs, and then go into a cold sweat when they see the flashing HD symbol???

J/K.
  • Reply 15 of 140
    You've worked for us, haven't you?

Seriously, from an I.T. perspective, replacing a hard drive is cheaper than replacing the entire computer and stockpiling it somewhere.

Remember, no I.T. department runs without being under the thumb of Finance.
  • Reply 16 of 140
    Quote:

You've worked for us, haven't you?

Seriously, from an I.T. perspective, replacing a hard drive is cheaper than replacing the entire computer and stockpiling it somewhere.

Remember, no I.T. department runs without being under the thumb of Finance.

Ahhh, I was thinking you meant retention in the sense of "Dude, Jack just walked off with his computer!!! Stick it to em, Jack!!!"

But another suggestion: DAT, den wipe!

I am familiar with this type of company though, I think. Or its philosophy anyway. I got Pfizered.
  • Reply 17 of 140
    Nowadays, some attorneys want the original hard drive in order to recover the data that might have been there before it was deleted by a disgruntle. We've had to pay over a thousand bucks a hard drive in discoveries to those data recovery shops whenever we get into a "situation."

I just hate the idea of a perfectly good computer sitting on a shelf, but can live with a hard drive no longer being used.
  • Reply 18 of 140
    I guess the day that they start loading up computers with non-volatile RAM will make warehousing the actual box justified. And then, of course, they will want the computer in a sealed box, lest the RAM be tampered with.
  • Reply 19 of 140
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Getting inside the mini by itself won't void the warranty. The obvious exception being that if you do break something or something is broken by what you installed, then that damage isn't covered by the warranty. If you are in the US and any service tech gives you any stress about that, go over the Magnuson-Moss warranty act with them.
  • Reply 20 of 140
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    How about someone try to place a huge order for MacBook Pros and see what happens.