Intel's Merom to power Apple's next-gen iMacs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

I'm not surprised. Merom allows for a machine that is elegant and quiet yet still powerful Apple values those over speed gains conroe would offer.

You forgot to mention that it allows Apple to avoid those pesky pc comparissons.
  • Reply 22 of 237
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man

++ It's a shame to see them skipping on the Conroe - we have to pay a price premium for lower clocked chips because they can't fit them in the thermal envelope of the iMac. I really hope we see Conroe somewhere in the lineup at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I'm almost certain they would work with the iMac. Conroe is pretty close to the power of what was in the iSight G5 iMac, which has basically the same enclosure and cooling system arrangement as the Core Duo replacement. The G5 unit was reputed to be quiet.
  • Reply 23 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs

Merom isn't 64-bit right?

It is 64-bit.
  • Reply 24 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

You forgot to mention that it allows Apple to avoid those pesky pc comparissons.

Not really. They'll just use the same mismatches.

Quote:

Merom isn't 64-bit right?

As 64-bit as woodcrest and conroe.
  • Reply 25 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ic1male

It is 64-bit.

ah that's good I am sold then, bring on the update! I assume the 64-bitness of Leopard will be exploited by this new chip?
  • Reply 26 of 237
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

ah that's good I am sold then, bring on the update! I assume the 64-bitness of Leopard will be exploited by this new chip?

Yes you potentially can address more memory, (if you can afford to buy it).
  • Reply 27 of 237
    NO! WANT CONROE NOW :cry:
  • Reply 28 of 237
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neudesign

Haha, the chins! Great name for the bit below the screen on iMacs. This is my least favorite aspect of their design. I would sacrifice thinness to get rid of the chin on the new 23".

Noooooooooooooooo! I love the chin! I'd be very sad to see it go.
  • Reply 29 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Noooooooooooooooo! I love the chin! I'd be very sad to see it go.

why? its hidious!! needs to be more like the cinema displays, smooth and sleek.
  • Reply 30 of 237
    Quote:

The iMac is a unique machine no matter what the processor and doesn't lend itself to PC comparisons anyways.

I'm glad they're using merom. Personally, the competely silent nature of my intel iMac is my favorite thing about it.
  • Reply 31 of 237
    Quote:

Yes you potentially can address more memory, (if you can afford to buy it).

For the x86 arch, there is an efficiency benefit to 64 bit because it doubles the number of addressable registers over standard IA32.
  • Reply 32 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

why? its hidious!! needs to be more like the cinema displays, smooth and sleek.

It's extremely convenient for post-it notes, and I think it just plain looks good anyways.
  • Reply 33 of 237
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Bit of a shame really as Conroe would be quite a bit cheaper and better FSB/cache than Merom. Expect to see price increases on Merom iMacs.

This decision was obviously based on heat issues and I believe Apple are loathe to redesign the iMac case again.
  • Reply 34 of 237
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Flounder,

You're right perhaps I'm being a little pessimistic. On the bright side, if you buy a 23" iMac with a 2.3 ghz Merom you won't have to worry about a better one coming out for at least a year or so, when core 2 is replaced. No Kentsfield quad cores in Apple's future.
  • Reply 35 of 237
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas

I just hope they fix the 17 inch model while they're at it. It's been using the same display since the G4 17 inch iMac.. and I'm telling you, its viewing angle isn't near as good as on the other displays.

Very true. I suppose it allows Apple to reduce cost and protect margin on the lowest end iMac. Surely, with panel improvements and price reductions since this 17" was introduced, Apple could do better.

If a 23" is introduced, could the 17" be dropped (maybe taking an education only spot)?
  • Reply 36 of 237
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Mid range mac product rumors to start in 5...4...3...

I don't know about any such rumors, it's just a really, really obvious gap in Apple's product line in lieu of which a lot of potential customers are foregoing Apple purchases. Basically, a mini with a single graphics card slot and a desktop hard disk is all a lot of people would care for. My guess is that it would sell incredibly well.
  • Reply 37 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga

I don't know about any such rumors, it's just a really, really obvious gap in Apple's product line in lieu of which a lot of potential customers are foregoing Apple purchases. Basically, a mini with a single graphics card slot and a desktop hard disk is all a lot of people would care for. My guess is that it would sell incredibly well.

I agree on all points.

Given the current discussion of how the Mac Pro's cards are still very proprietary to Apple, I don't think the modular graphics is going to quell many of the complaints because the number of compatible cards will remain very small with practically no aftermarket.
  • Reply 38 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

For the x86 arch, there is an efficiency benefit to 64 bit because it doubles the number of addressable registers over standard IA32.

There is that, and then there is processing 64-bit numbers which becomes 4x faster than 32-bit chips. Useful when processing audio (I am a big user of Ableton Live), and images I imagine.
  • Reply 39 of 237
    Nice ... looking forward to the announcement. A 23" would be a welcome addition, especially to those who need the extra screen real estate.

It makes sense for Apple to go for Merom considering it's performance and heat output and the iMac case.

8)
  • Reply 40 of 237
    Quote:

Apple Computer in September plans to unveil a new line of iMac computers with faster processors and a little surprise to boot, AppleInsider has learned.

Is anyone else intrigued as to what the surprise to boot might be? Or is the surprise the 23" deal...