Apple previews iTV set-top device

1679111218

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 343
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    I didn't say NFL events. You're thinking too small. This is about mass customization.



    I'm thinking too small? You still don't get the advantage of iTV + iTunes vs a library of DVDs. Certainly there are disadvantages but the advantages are compelling as well.



    NFL events is simply an indicator of things to come. Many of the things you list are already reality in some form or another on iTunes. Concerts, seminars, conferences? That's thinking big? Of course its all about mass customization and dare I say it...convergence.



    Vinea
  • Reply 162 of 343
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    the decision to leave a hard drive OUT of this thing was brilliant. the iPod just became that much more important now. everyone with an iPod has the ability to throw their music, favorite shows and increasingly more and more movies and run to anyone else's with an iTV to watch it all. The iPod is on it's way to becoming more or less or a portable DVR.
  • Reply 163 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea


    I'm thinking too small? You still don't get the advantage of iTV + iTunes vs a library of DVDs. Certainly there are disadvantages but the advantages are compelling as well.



    NFL events is simply an indicator of things to come. Many of the things you list are already reality in some form or another on iTunes. Concerts, seminars, conferences? That's thinking big? Of course its all about mass customization and dare I say it...convergence.



    Vinea



    Yes, too small Vinea.



    What is the REAL advantage of iTV?



    DVD/movie playback? Nope, a DVD already does this cheaper and better and you physically own it. Streaming audio? Meh, we've seen that, why do it on a TV unless you've got component audio/TV, and if you do have component audio, the quality level is insufficient for the audiophiles out there. So, that's out.



    What I can believe iTV will serve best are the little things mentioned in the Stevenote. Podcast video, which leads to a whole lot of new possibilities.***



    Specialized content for narrow interests... interests so narrow they'll never be served by cable/satellite TV, but large enough to warrant a worldwide audience, one that might even be willing to pay $1.99, or $2.99, or $5.99 even (and conversely, 50 cents, or 10 cents might even work).



    Narrow. Targeted. One-to-one. MyTV! ChannelMe! MyNetwork!



    ***= Video dating, want-ads, one to one car sales, real estate tours, narrowly focused training, education, & chat, of course, porn will probably take up a big chunk of this new audience as well. That's reality.
  • Reply 164 of 343
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnq


    Considering people sleep 8 hours, work 8 hours, commute 1-2 hours, I'd say this is plenty of time to have a couple movies download by the time you get home to watch them.



    It's NetFLIX minus the postal service, basically (plus you own it).



    With the owning comment, you seem to be comparing different models, you are comparing download-to-own vs. a physical media rental model. You probably should be comparing rental vs. rental or own vs. own for the most relevant comparison. Apple isn't offering rentals or subscriptions, so what they offer for buying a movie download should be compared to buying the DVD (or HD-something) equivalent.



    If you happen to be commuting, then you might be able to drop by a store to just buy the DVD for cheaper. Or you can order the DVD online and if you buy from one that's close to you, you might get it next day.
  • Reply 165 of 343
    Quote:

    24" is far too small for HDTV at normal seating distances.



    Why exactly is 24" too small for HD but fine for SD?
  • Reply 166 of 343
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell


    Why exactly is 24" too small for HD but fine for SD?



    I think the comment was for typical seating distances for TVs. At seatting distances typical for TV watching (10ft/3m), the improved resolution you get on a 24" iMac vs. a regular LCD TV that size isn't going to mean anything to a lot of people, though at 2m, I can see the benefits. At sitting distances for computers, then the 24" would be fine for HD, though an expensive way to watch TV. If you are really serious about HD display, then a good 37" / 42" 1080p display can be had for about $1300 / $1700 US, respectively.
  • Reply 167 of 343
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    I think the comment was for typical seating distances for TVs. At seatting distances typical for TV watching (10ft/3m), the improved resolution you get on a 24" iMac vs. a regular LCD TV that size isn't going to mean anything to a lot of people, though at 2m, I can see the benefits. At sitting distances for computers, then the 24" would be fine for HD, though an expensive way to watch TV. If you are really serious about HD display, then a good 37" / 42" 1080p display can be had for about $1300 / $1700 US, respectively.



    Yes, at 10' you couldn't see the difference between 480p, 720p, 1080p on a 24" display.



    "Optimum" viewing distance as defined by the HDTV spec for a 24" (dia) 1080p display is 3.58 feet where someone with 20/20 vision can just resolve 1 pixel (1/60th of a degree) and has maximized the screen field of view for immersion at that resolution.



    While humans CAN see better than that 60 pixles per degree is the rule of thumb for what can be resolved.. 10' is waaay out there relatively speaking. 480p results in 85 pixels per degree which is much better than 60 ppd.



    Someone sitting 10' from their TV would be hard pressed to see the difference between a 720p and 1080p 50" display. At 60"+ some difference would be noticable to most folks.



    Vinea
  • Reply 168 of 343
    What about integrating a dashboard overlay through iTV?
  • Reply 169 of 343
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Mmm...iTV is all about HD content and not about specialized content. iTV is the enabler for streamed HD content from the studios. See other iTV thread for why...or I could repeat myself but the short version is HDCP security.



    Vinea
  • Reply 170 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea


    Mmm...iTV is all about HD content and not about specialized content. iTV is the enabler for streamed HD content from the studios. See other iTV thread for why...or I could repeat myself but the short version is HDCP security.



    Vinea



    You may have missed this part, but iTV doesn't handle HD content. All Apple offers is standard NTSC resolution content, similar to DVD.
  • Reply 171 of 343
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    You may have missed this part, but iTV doesn't handle HD content. All Apple offers is standard NTSC resolution content, similar to DVD.



    Where do you get the idea that iTV doesn't handle HD? It has HDMI for a reason, and it's not just showing photos in HD.
  • Reply 172 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker


    Where do you get the idea that iTV doesn't handle HD? It has HDMI for a reason, and it's not just showing photos in HD.



    I'll rephrase... Apple doesn't sell it.
  • Reply 173 of 343
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    I'll rephrase... Apple doesn't sell it.



    Yet. What is to stop them from selling HD video once this device is available?
  • Reply 174 of 343
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    I'll rephrase... Apple doesn't sell it.



    Is iPod only about content sold in the store?



    No, of course not.



    So why, then, would iTV be?



    And why couldn't Apple up the resolution again, like they've just done?
  • Reply 175 of 343
    I can agree with SpamSandwich in one sense. If iTV only works with Front Row and only streams media from the computer to the television. Then yes its pretty limited and doubt I would get one.



    iTV would be extremely useful if:



    iTV can communicate both ways, computer to TV, as well as TV to computer. iTV can work with third party software and hardware. Front Row will have an open API for third party hardware/software. Any software on your Mac can stream work to a television for viewing.



    If iTV were open to these options it would be extremely useful.
  • Reply 176 of 343
    Quote:

    Yes, at 10' you couldn't see the difference between 480p, 720p, 1080p on a 24" display.



    Ok yeah I see your point.



    Quote:

    You may have missed this part, but iTV doesn't handle HD content. All Apple offers is standard NTSC resolution content, similar to DVD.



    At this point we don't know enough to say this for sure.
  • Reply 177 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slugtronn


    DV res is 720x480. Standard DVDs will look the same as VGA video on a TV. It's pretty much the same resolution. Unless you're talking about a £30 DVD player that plays BlueRay disks...



    So for 60 horizontal pixels less than PAL I get to pay more for the movie, lose the special features, max out my ISP download limit, pay $300 for a hardware box, burn loads more electricty with the Mac, iTV & TV all one at once and probably end up feeling compelled to buy a bigger hard disk for all these movies to be saved on. Sorry but this doesn't add up right now.
  • Reply 178 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    Yet. What is to stop them from selling HD video once this device is available?



    Nothing, only the majority of people will find themselves unable to use it, due to horrifically slow downloads and massive file sizes... that's all.
  • Reply 179 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes


    So for 60 horizontal pixels less than PAL I get to pay more for the movie, lose the special features, max out my ISP download limit, pay $300 for a hardware box, burn loads more electricty with the Mac, iTV & TV all one at once and probably end up feeling compelled to buy a bigger hard disk for all these movies to be saved on. Sorry but this doesn't add up right now.



    Thank God someone else has caught on. Mr. Totes, I salute you.
  • Reply 180 of 343
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell


    I can agree with SpamSandwich in one sense. If iTV only works with Front Row and only streams media from the computer to the television. Then yes its pretty limited and doubt I would get one.



    iTV would be extremely useful if:



    iTV can communicate both ways, computer to TV, as well as TV to computer. iTV can work with third party software and hardware. Front Row will have an open API for third party hardware/software. Any software on your Mac can stream work to a television for viewing.



    If iTV were open to these options it would be extremely useful.



    iTV can work from the TV to the computer. Steve Jobs showed us, by checking out movie trailers online by simply clicking a button. This means that iTV sent the request to the compter, which went online and the got the trailer, and then sent it back to iTV.



    The real question is whether or not the API will be open. If it is, then it would be simple to go get the latest YouTube hit, etc. The possibilities are endless; but only if the API is open.
Sign In or Register to comment.