Merom MBP - If I have to Wait So Does Apple!!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    The more and more I hear of crashing machines, the more I like my old Pismo... except when it comes to any type of movie processing, uhg.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    I have always been a PC user but I have been working on an old eMac I got from a friend for the last 4 months and I am dying to bye the new macbook pro's. I have never been so impatient...i have worked on current macbook pro in apple store and once you come to realize how good mac platform is, it is difficult to wait...wish they release something soon...that will be my first apple machine that I buy and I want it to be great. i know the current one is not bad but since I know something is around the corner, i just don't want to buy it. I guess the waiting is going to go on....
  • Reply 23 of 89
    Why buy a Merom MBP when they're sure to release a much better one with Leopard, iTV, true video iPod, etc. 4 or 5 months later? This'll just be a speed bump, which always seems to happen to laptop macs before they do a real "new release". Makes more sense to have a re-design with the new products and software coming out.

A PDA-type screen on the lid and basic standby funtionality so you can transmit video or music to iTV or iPod without running the full computer, maybe an LCD keyboard which will be great for the new Adobe lines, aperture, logic and maybe some 64-bit games which will accompany leopard, and Flash memory/booting which will be optimized by Leopard for quick startup/resume, and the above mentioned standby funtionality. That way new hardware which we don't know about will reflect the new software that we do know about.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    felinfelin Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Why buy a Merom MBP when they're sure to release a much better one with Leopard, iTV, true video iPod, etc. 4 or 5 months later? This'll just be a speed bump, which always seems to happen to laptop macs before they do a real "new release". Makes more sense to have a re-design with the new products and software coming out.

A PDA-type screen on the lid and basic standby funtionality so you can transmit video or music to iTV or iPod without running the full computer, maybe an LCD keyboard which will be great for the new Adobe lines, aperture, logic and maybe some 64-bit games which will accompany leopard, and Flash memory/booting which will be optimized by Leopard for quick startup/resume, and the above mentioned standby funtionality. That way new hardware which we don't know about will reflect the new software that we do know about.

Even if the new MBPs had what you stated why would anyone buy that in the first few months... That is so much hardware change that there will be tons of bugs. With the Merom the base computer is essentially the same since all I've heard is that the chips are nearly identical. Therefore meaning that chances of bugs are reduced.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

this i agree with and is the reason i sold my intel imac and macbook to get just a macbook pro (which arrives tomorrow, refurb model). i happen to have experience with a dell core 2 duo and it as well as my imac and macbook are so damn fast i can't really tell the difference, all loaded up with ram (2gb). if anything, my macbook feels faster running parallels / windows server 2003 with a heavy .net sql server development environment, but that could be a parallels thing.

The best stuff will be next year with leopard. IMHO, right now is a good time to buy an incremental upgrade, not your 'best machine' you expect to use for a couple of years....because you'll be sorry...
  • Reply 26 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana

It's not so much the speed increase that we're looking forward to with Merom MBP, it's the ironing out of all the well-documented problems: the heat, the moos, etc. I'm waiting for a Merom MBP simply because I have high hopes that all the problems will be ironed out, possibly a redesign, and hopefully a slight boost in battery life. I'm curious to know, how has your experiences with battery life on the MB and MBP been so far? Does anyone notice themselves tethered to the power cable too much?

Most if not all the problems have already been fixed. Apple doesn't wait for a whole new revision to fix problems.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member

How many of these bitchfests do we need to have per week? The Macbook updates will come. Quit faulting Apple for personal inabilities to handle excitement/disappointment.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous

How many of these bitchfests do we need to have per week? The Macbook updates will come. Quit faulting Apple for personal inabilities to handle excitement/disappointment.

Looks just like Winston Churchill. I didn't know he was waiting for his upgrades, too.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    Either that or rageous was a fat baby!!!
  • Reply 30 of 89
  • Reply 31 of 89
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My neighbor just bought a Dell over a MBP because the Core 2 will be at his house in a week and a half and Apple is just yanking our balls around about it. Apple gets "it", but sometimes they are weird about product releases.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Yes, the waiting is the hardest part.

Apparently, ole Rageous has a problem with people posting here about "Future Hardware".

There much more activity on this topic elsewhere, without whining mods trying to shut things down.

Here's a busy 80 page thread, based on the original AppleInsider story:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=235341
  • Reply 33 of 89
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    who tried to shut anything down? i just hoped we could keep the crying to maybe only a half dozen threads or so.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    nohmnohm Posts: 10member
    if you must sell your souls to the devil, just go buy a c2d Dell from Costco and return it when it's time to buy the MBP. Costco is the king of return policies...
  • Reply 35 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

My neighbor just bought a Dell over a MBP because the Core 2 will be at his house in a week and a half and Apple is just yanking our balls around about it. Apple gets "it", but sometimes they are weird about product releases.

wow, what a mistake that was. i have a dell d820 core 2 duo right now and its built like a lego play toy. talk about a horrible design. he couldn't wait until tomorrow?

• Reply 36 of 89
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I really can't imagine someone just wanting a Core 2 chip, and being willing to buy either a Windows or a Mac - whichever you can order first - to get it. Especially since all the tests show that the Core 2 isn't all that different.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I really can't imagine someone just wanting a Core 2 chip, and being willing to buy either a Windows or a Mac - whichever you can order first - to get it. Especially since all the tests show that the Core 2 isn't all that different.

Enough of your rational thought! I want my laptop to have a 2 in it's processor name! Fuck the fact that I needed it 5 weeks ago! A rumor site said that Core 2 was coming sometime in the next couple months!
  • Reply 38 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

I'm going to be doing the same thing, but not a Dell lol...I hate Dell. I visited my sister at college this past weekend and she JUST got her new Sony VAIO laptop, she got a 12 or 13" (I don't remember off hand), but it was nice. I'm going to do the same thing if nothing new happens tomorrow, I need a laptop, and I need everything the 64 has to offer, so, I'm done waiting. I didn't think that a lot of them were shipping, but now it's come clear, the C2D chips are every where. My sister got hers through school at Cortland, she said she ordered it Wednesday and it got there Saturday!! The chips are out there, and they are shipping, why is Apple taking long? IDK, but I'm not waiting anymore.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

I'm going to be doing the same thing, but not a Dell lol...I hate Dell. I visited my sister at college this past weekend and she JUST got her new Sony VAIO laptop, she got a 12 or 13" (I don't remember off hand), but it was nice. I'm going to do the same thing if nothing new happens tomorrow, I need a laptop, and I need everything the 64 has to offer, so, I'm done waiting. I didn't think that a lot of them were shipping, but now it's come clear, the C2D chips are every where. My sister got hers through school at Cortland, she said she ordered it Wednesday and it got there Saturday!! The chips are out there, and they are shipping, why is Apple taking long? IDK, but I'm not waiting anymore.

Why do NEED core 2? It's nice and all but it's not like core duo won't do everything core 2 will do only about 10% slower. The best reason to wait for new MBPs is so if Appple makes the standard configuration better, say 1 gb ram standard, or they drop the prices alittle. Maybe both although that would be asking a lot.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    A dual layer notebook DVD burner is $40, yet the MBP's don't have them.

Some posters around here question the purchasing decisions of others, yet if the forthcoming MBP is significantly improved, why would someone drop $2500 on last year's model?

It's not about just a chip drop-in, it's about a redesign of the existing issues. If the PC side are delivering at cheap cost, then this is what Apple needs to perform against. In the iPod world, they seem to over deliver -- it certainly should be true in the computing space, too.