Merom MBP - If I have to Wait So Does Apple!!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Why do NEED core 2? It's nice and all but it's not like core duo won't do everything core 2 will do only about 10% slower. The best reason to wait for new MBPs is so if Appple makes the standard configuration better, say 1 gb ram standard, or they drop the prices alittle. Maybe both although that would be asking a lot.

I need every little thing I can get with the work that I do. The biggest thing is the ram issue, double the ram in a MBP would help out a lot. Plus forgetting what people think they know on these boards, a 64 bit chip is a lot better for audio recording, instead of 32 dots per wave cycle, 64 bit chips can put...64, and it sounds that much closer to analog recording - textbook. Now say the program as to support it...Nuendo, and the new Cubase, so stop telling me it's not gonna do anything lol, you don't know sh!t, I've asked many teachers, engineers, sound designers, producers, and looked in textbooks. The interface does have something to do with it, but....ok I went off a little.

Back to the topic, the C2D has a lot of little things that when put together, help people like me out, graphics wise, and audio wise. If I have to goto Sony, I'll goto Sony, but waiting any longer is just insane. I need a laptop and I need it now. So we'll see what happens tomorrow...
  • Reply 42 of 89
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Since Apple hasn't released a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, I went out to Best Buy and bought a toaster with a Core 2 Duo in it. Sorry Apple, you lost my business.
  • Reply 43 of 89
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Since Apple hasn't released a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, I went out to Best Buy and bought a toaster with a Core 2 Duo in it. Sorry Apple, you lost my business.

everytime you flip that lid open, you'll think, what a POS....shoulda waited for the fruit.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    Apple has taken too long and I couldnt wait any longer...

I ordered a Dell M90 Precision workstation laptop 2.33 Ghz w/ 4 gig Ram native 1920 X1200 resolution with the awesome quadro FX GO2500 video card and 100 Gig 7200 rpm HD.

IT FLIES.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Is that a $6,000 computer you just bought?

Or did you bought your 4 gig Ram somewhere else?

In which case you still spend about $3,500 on a ugly, almost 4kg heavy desktop replacement.

For the same price I would have opted for an 24" iMac and a MacBook.

(or waited a couple of weeks for the MacBook Pro revB)
  • Reply 46 of 89
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    So, basically it looks like we've got a bunch of Windows guys in here bitching about a Mac's release date when they really have ZERO intention on running OSX.

Now it makes sense why someone would buy a Vaio or Dell over a Mac. They just want the sexy hardware but throw the baby out with the bathwater by running Windows on it.

Wankers.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Unless I'm confused by Dell's website it looks like that notebook doesn't ship until October 20th.
  • Reply 48 of 89
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JHolko

Apple has taken too long and I couldnt wait any longer...

I ordered a Dell M90 Precision workstation laptop 2.33 Ghz w/ 4 gig Ram native 1920 X1200 resolution with the awesome quadro FX GO2500 video card and 100 Gig 7200 rpm HD.

IT FLIES.

"It flies"? So it already arrived and you already got to use it?
  • Reply 49 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Unless I'm confused by Dell's website it looks like that notebook doesn't ship until October 20th.

Ah-ha! The sauce thickens....
  • Reply 50 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1

I've been with Apple since the Mac Plus and can't recall being so flustered waiting on a release. I even found myself sinning the other day when I went on to Dell's site to see what they had to offer, of course I came running back, but for a moment there...

no... bad.

Once you go Mac, you never go Back.
  • Reply 51 of 89
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    i am struggling to comprehend the lack of patience in so many ppl these days...

sennen.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen

i am struggling to comprehend the lack of patience in so many ppl these days...

sennen.

"Struggling"? You must be trying too hard. You must also be extremely happy with your present machine.
  • Reply 53 of 89
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1

"Struggling"? You must be trying too hard. You must also be extremely happy with your present machine.

yes, my g4 pismo is going great! particularly the dual layer dvd burner. and it is running FCP 4.5 & dvdsp 4 with no problems. great keyboard (better than the Al pb/mbp one, i reckon) and nice for playing dvds as well. although i do have to admit that i don't have to rely on it for work, so i don't get too impatient waiting for encodes and renders. i'll prob upgrade in 12-18 months, when HD hardware and software are out.

anyway, i would have thought that anyone wanting the core 2 duo for its 64 bit-ness would wait til 10.5 is released so you don't have to pay for the OS on top of the machine. the c2d will come when it comes, no point getting your knickers in a knot over something you can't control...

sennen
  • Reply 54 of 89
    What is frustrating is the fact that those of us that want to purchase a pro laptop from Apple are left with no sensible options right now. Apple's current line of MBP's are so overpriced it's rediculous. Those kind of specs are nowhere near worth what they are offering them for. Granted, they are solidly built, stylish machines but they simply are not worth the same prices they were going for six months ago.

I sold my MBP 1.83 a month ago in anticipation of Apple introducing Core 2 Duo's so I could retain some of the value before they were depreciated. Now I am stuck using my PC desktop in need of a laptop. Anyone who would pay full price for Apple's current line of MBP's are getting ripped off. I love Apple, but it is obvious they are trying to milk these units for every last penny from those foolish enough to pay the high prices for a machine that is going to lose close to half of its value over the next three months.
  • Reply 55 of 89
    I'm at a loss. Should I be planning on buying the iPhone in January, or would I be better served waiting for the flash based, touch screen, solar powered, gps enabled Video iPhone Pro when it comes out right after?

Damn that Steve Jobs for making me wait so long! If he'd just listen to me, he'd be rich.
  • Reply 56 of 89
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My neighbor just got his Dell Core 2 Duo notebook. It is one fat notebook computer. But it does have a higher resolution than my MBP CD 2 Ghz. I think he has a 16:10 ratio screen because Windows can't coe up with a nice media bar like Apple when watching a movie.

Either way, Dell seems to be the only major player shipping C2D in notebooks right now. I bet there has been a shortage and your biggest customer gets first dibs.

I ant to add that my neighbor bascially got a MBP C2D from Dell for $700-$800 less than the lowend MBP. I couldn't really argue with that.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

I ant to add that my neighbor bascially got a MBP C2D from Dell for $700-$800 less than the lowend MBP. I couldn't really argue with that.

I can argue. Because I was unaware that the new "MBP Dells" could run OS X. It's not always about the hardware...

So your friend bought his "MBP Dell" for $1200? Can you show me the link to a 15.4 inch notebook on Dell that compares? According to Dell's website, the only "MBP C2D" notebooks they offer are the 12.1 inch, 17 inch, and 20 inch models. If he bought the 12 incher, that would explain why he only paid $1344.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

What is frustrating is the fact that those of us that want to purchase a pro laptop from Apple are left with no sensible options right now. Apple's current line of MBP's are so overpriced it's rediculous. Those kind of specs are nowhere near worth what they are offering them for.

Boy is the quality of this forum just sinking lower and lower.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    How come most people complaining here seem to have less than 30 posts?
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

How come most people complaining here seem to have less than 30 posts?

rofl.

hey wait a second....