Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 221 of 376
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WookieMoFo

Can someone tell me, or post a link to what this Santa Rosa Mac is that everyone keeps referring to?

Personal Internet on the Large Screen

The next generation of Intel Centrino mobile technology, codenamed Santa Rosa and detailed for the first time in Maloney?s keynote, is designed to give users better overall performance and graphics, improved wireless connectivity and improved security and manageability. Santa Rosa is expected to include a more powerful mobile microprocessor, an improved graphics chipset, codenamed Crestline, an IEEE* 802.11n Wi?Fi adapter, codenamed Kedron, as well as Intel?optimized advanced management and security solutions. The platform will also include Intel?s NAND flash?based platform accelerator, codenamed Robson, which enables much more rapid boot?up time and power savings. Santa Rosa, available in the first half of 2007, will use Intel?s next?generation dual?core mobile microprocessor based on Intel?s Core? microarchitecture, codenamed Merom, Intel?s new foundation for delivering even greater energy?efficient performance. An initial version of Merom will also be available for the current Intel Centrino Duo platform to align with the 2006 holiday buying cycle and will be socket or pin?compatible with the current version of Intel® Core? Duo processors.
  • Reply 222 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10

I know that the airline adapter won't work with car chargers. My question, is there a car charger available for it? Even if it's 3rd party that's fine as long as it works. I travel some by plane but obvoiusly could get much more use out of a car charger.

http://us.kensington.com/html/10359.html
  • Reply 223 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

ATI lists power management as one of the features of the X1600. I did not see this same feature exclusively mentioned in documentation for the X1700 or X1800.

Longer-Lasting Battery Life

Go longer with ATI?s PowerPlay? 6.0 technology, maximizing battery life for an extended on-the-move visual experience. Deliver a video-rich multimedia presentation, play the hottest game at the highest settings, or enjoy extended battery life when watching your favorite movie. Mobility? Radeon® X1600?s power management technology monitors user demands and machine capabilities to maximize battery life. Mobility? Radeon® X1600 handles today?s graphics-intensive 3D games and HD content with plenty of power for the applications of tomorrow.

I can see exactly that same feature for the X1700 on the ATI/AMD homepage:

http://ati.amd.com/products/Mobility...700/index.html
  • Reply 224 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

http://us.kensington.com/html/10359.html

Thanks. That looks great and am going to order one.
  • Reply 225 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exhibit_13

oh, and i picked up a canon pixma mp460 at the same time... 30 bucks after rebate :-D

What rebate?
  • Reply 226 of 376
    Same here. I ordered my MBP and did see something about up to $100 off on a printer with certain mac purchases but never saw anything more about this. As well, I saw I can get .mac for $70 or something like that but yet don't see how I can go about doing that. Did anyone else get that?
  • Reply 227 of 376
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Thanks. That looks great and am going to order one.

People who have it say it's clumsy.
  • Reply 228 of 376
    Quote:

Same here. I ordered my MBP and did see something about up to $100 off on a printer with certain mac purchases but never saw anything more about this. As well, I saw I can get .mac for $70 or something like that but yet don't see how I can go about doing that. Did anyone else get that?

Go here to Macintouch, and click through to Amazon. The pricing there is about as good as you are going to get. Right below the magenta eBay auctions Garagesale ad.

http://www.macintouch.com/

By the way, if you, or a family member, work for a large corporation, you might be eligable for a discount on Apple stuff.

find out.

My wife works for Citicorp, and she does. Apple has a special version of their store for the companies. Everything is the same except fot the pricing, which is a bit lower. You need a password.

It might pay to find out.
  • Reply 229 of 376
    Not that I haven't been know to suffer from the perpetual technology waiting game, but it seems to me that there might be an exponential growth in capabilities these days. It seems like updates, extreme or not, are coming more frequently. I don't know much about Intel's schedule (or anyone else's), but I wonder if the time won't soon come when waiting for a quad-quadcore machine might be worth a wait, despite the fact that there might be an Oct-Octocore machine 6 months later, just because of what I imagine will be an enormous difference in power. I don't know when or if that time will come, but I've been wondering about it.

Also, was wondering if the developers will be able to catch up with the capabilities of the new tech. Will programmers invest less time putting together programs knowing that the programs wouldn't be able to take advantage of the tech 3 months down the road? Is there a computing tipping point where the advances in hardware will likely change the market for systems, and software (Being that "top of the line" or "cutting edge" will become much more elusive)? I never really saw the computer industry as being able to do what I think the car companys do, in already having developed their 2012 models today (Or at least not as much), but might they have to?

Having said all that, I am going to buy the 15", 2gb ram, 160gb hd, glossy screen, this weekend.
  • Reply 230 of 376
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I can see exactly that same feature for the X1700 on the ATI/AMD homepage:

Well it does not say this about the X1700.

ATI’s Mobility Radeon X1600 drives visual velocity into performance thin notebook PCs, delivering high performance 3D graphics, enhanced video playback quality, and extended battery life.

Perhaps the X1600 is still more heat and energy efficient.
  • Reply 231 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Well it does not say this about the X1700.

ATI?s Mobility Radeon X1600 drives visual velocity into performance thin notebook PCs, delivering high performance 3D graphics, enhanced video playback quality, and extended battery life.

Perhaps the X1600 is still more heat and energy efficient.

You know how it works. every time you go up the scale of performance, power, and heat, increases.
  • Reply 232 of 376
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Ug - my "3-5 days" turned into two weeks somehow. Estimated ship date Oct 31, delivery Nov 7 - I must have waited too long to hit "submit order".
  • Reply 233 of 376
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Ug - my "3-5 days" turned into two weeks somehow. Estimated ship date Oct 31, delivery Nov 7 - I must have waited too long to hit "submit order".

Isn't October 31st about "3-5" days away?

Steve
  • Reply 234 of 376
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

Isn't October 31st about "3-5" days away?

Steve

I guess it's if we're talking about days days, or business days. I've always presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that they are quoting business days, in which case that would be 5 business days post Oct. 24
  • Reply 235 of 376
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Mine has shipped. Expect it to arrive on Oct. 31, but will be out of town.
  • Reply 236 of 376
    I'm pretty happy with this announcement. It shouldn't have been more then a speed bump i.e.: case redesign. That would've been too much for the public to swallow before the holiday shopping season. Would've been confused by all the mac books. The Firewire 800 is a nice feature and the ram is odd but I understand why it can only take 3Gb and not 4. And I think Macworld has a link for OWC who I believe is stocking ram for them. Or just cut out the middle man and go to OWC.
  • Reply 237 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Mine has shipped. Expect it to arrive on Oct. 31, but will be out of town.

Mine won't be ready until the 31st!
  • Reply 238 of 376
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    I called apple and found out that if you don't request anything else other than what comes, then it will ship within a day in which case you might get it by 31st but if you requested even one thing like I did, I requested glossy screen, it is considered customized macbook pro, then it will ship by Oct 31st and estimated delivery by Nov 6th. I called them and requested 2 day shipping so i should get it by Nov 2nd though.
  • Reply 239 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo

And be amazed how your MB has scratches on the monitor after a while. I've seen three MB's all of them having scratches because of how it opens/closes. I agree the new method *looks* neat, but in the end the MBP proved itself a long time ago, the MB still has to.

Dammit.... that's what it was..... I have such a weird scratch running right across the area where it opens/closes. (17-inch 2.16 Intel Core Duo 2GB).

Anyone else having a similar issue?

PS: Wouldn't you know, I was also one of those must-have-nano-as-soon as-it-comes-out-(idiot) early adopters of the first scratchy screen version. Sniff.
  • Reply 240 of 376
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Mine won't be ready until the 31st!

yeah, I talked to the guy on the phone when I ordered my sweet puppy, and he said that the 2-4 bus days is not the est. arrival date, but the est time it takes to get the actual comp ready for shipping. He says apple will soon update the site to make this more apparent to people.

As for backtomac, look at that picture, YOU LUCKY B@STARD!

i want mine NOW! but w/e, I waited 3 months, a couple days is nothing :P

it says the 31st for me too, but the phone guy said that phone people can make it happen faster, so I'm expecting a monday arrival :-)