Briefly: iPod shuffles arrive; Xcode 2.4.1; Apple bests Dell

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The first individual shipments of Apple's new iPod shuffle have begun to arrive on customer's doorsteps. Meanwhile, the company has patched some flaws in its Xcode development environment. And Apple has reportedly stolen second place in the UK EDU from Dell.

Second-generation shuffles arrive

Several Apple Store customers who placed orders for Apple's second-generation iPod digital music players immediately following their announcement on Sept. 12 are reporting that they have received their players via FedEx on Wednesday.

Surprising most customers is that Apple has chosen to include its previous generation earbud earphones (image below) with the initial shuffle shipments, despite demonstrating a redesigned set of earphones on Sept. 12 that have since begun shipping with the company's second-generation iPod nano and update fifth-generation video iPods.

Some customers are also not impressed by the $79 player's built-in clip, which is reportedly not as strong as expected, especially when gripping thin material during a workout.

These first batch of shuffles are arriving ahead of Apple's formal worldwide roll-out, which is slated to take place beginning on Friday. Additional details will follow as information becomes available.

Xcode 2.4.1 update released

Meanwhile, Apple on Tuesday evening released Xcode 2.4.1 (923.2MB) for Mac OS X developers. The update addresses several issues in DWARF debugging and improves overall stability and security, Apple said.

Specifically, the new version introduces fixes to Xcode IDE, cctools, debugger, and compiler. It also bundles CHUD version 4.4.3 and sports updated Mac OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4u software developer kits.

The Xcode 2.4.1 update is recommended that all Xcode users.

Apple's second-gen iPod shuffle

Apple's second-gen iPod shuffle: it's tiny

Apple's second-gen iPod shuffle shipping with first-gen earphones

Apple takes seat above Dell in UK EDU market

Thanks to strong MacBook sales, Macworld UK is reporting that Apple is now the number two supplier to the UK education market, pushing Dell into third place.

According to Gartner, Apple has 14.7 per cent of the total PC market for education -- including laptops and desktop computers, but excluding the server market.

In first place is said to be Research Machines with 34.9 per cent of the market. Meanwhile, Dell has slipped to third place with 14.1 per cent. HP came in fourth with 7.7 per cent of the market.

“For the first time, Apple is number one in the EMEA education market with 11.6 per cent of the market in Q3/2006 against 9.6 per cent in Q3/2005,” said Gartner research analyst Isabelle Durand. “Apple performed above the education market average (+9.2 per cent) and grew by 32 per cent in the EMEA education market.”

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    Damn you RM! Yes we still are a weird country ... I never saw what was good about Research Machines but remember them aplenty from my student days.

I stuck to the System 7 Macs. But then that would be to reveal how old most the kit was we got our hands on...
  • Reply 2 of 49
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple, do you want to be NUMBER 1?

Just license Mac OS X to Dell and HP or make it work on any PC out there.

Windows will be history in a few months after that!
  • Reply 3 of 49
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    I am assuming that it's a chihuahua....
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx

Er, no. They'd have to still beat Research Machines even adding Dell's share.

For you Merkans, RM have a unique hold on UK education being one of the main suppliers to education back from the days of Acorn and even before. Their RM 380Z 8bit computer was one of the staples of education in the 80s alongside the BBC Micro back when you lot had Apple ][s. In the PC era, they've concentrated on creating PCs for that market still.

I fondly remember the huge black box at the back of the class that nobody liked using with it's funny CP/M OS and keyboard carved from granite.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=812

The Beebs were much better and 6502 based anyway. Z80, bleuch!
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Quote:

Gosh, I'm tired of hearing this argument. Just forget about it ok, it'll never happen, and that's a very very good thing I might add.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    NIce dog !
  • Reply 7 of 49
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Er, no. They'd have to still beat Research Machines even adding Dell's share.

For you Merkans, RM have a unique hold on UK education being one of the main suppliers to education back from the days of Acorn and even before. Their RM 380Z 8bit computer was one of the staples of education in the 80s alongside the BBC Micro back when you lot had Apple ][s. In the PC era, they've concentrated on creating PCs for that market still.

I fondly remember the huge black box at the back of the class that nobody liked using with it's funny CP/M OS and keyboard carved from granite.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=812

The Beebs were much better and 6502 based anyway. Z80, bleuch!

Which huge black box? This one? It's their current all-in-one. Nasty

• Reply 8 of 49
    mkanemkane Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Thats too easy!

With all the aping from M$ and the Vista crap Apple could sell a ton of OSX license to Dell, HP, and all of us unhappy PC users stuck with M$!

Just think OSX could run on the most recent hardware like the NF4 chipsets,more video cards, ATI, AMD processors, Conroe, X-Fi sound cards, light scribe DVD-R's, better motherboards,etc... sorry Apple but your hardware is behind the PC side and this hurts your business.

But then again I'm sure I'll be blasted for stating the above facts...keep in mind I use Linux, XP, and OSX before you start firing off at me.

Anyway Apple is only hurting their chance to gain a huge market share buy selling software and gain many more software developers(when compared to Windows OSX lacks terribly when it comes to software) for OSX and the future OS(11).
  • Reply 9 of 49
    mkanemkane Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

The first individual shipments of Apple's new iPod shuffle have begun to arrive on customer's doorsteps. Meanwhile, the company has patched some flaws in its Xcode development environment. And Apple has reportedly stolen second place in the UK EDU from Dell.

Second-generation shuffles arrive

Several Apple Store customers who placed orders for Apple's second-generation iPod digital music players immediately following their announcement on Sept. 12 are reporting that they have received their players via FedEx on Wednesday.

Surprising most customers is that Apple has chosen to include its previous generation earbud earphones (image below) with the initial shuffle shipments, despite demonstrating a redesigned set of earphones on Sept. 12 that have since begun shipping with the company's second-generation iPod nano and update fifth-generation video iPods.

Some customers are also not impressed by the $79 player's built-in clip, which is reportedly not as strong as expected, especially when gripping thin material during a workout.

These first batch of shuffles are arriving ahead of Apple's formal worldwide roll-out, which is slated to take place beginning on Friday. Additional details will follow as information becomes available.

Xcode 2.4.1 update released

Meanwhile, Apple on Tuesday evening released Xcode 2.4.1 (923.2MB) for Mac OS X developers. The update addresses several issues in DWARF debugging and improves overall stability and security, Apple said.

Specifically, the new version introduces fixes to Xcode IDE, cctools, debugger, and compiler. It also bundles CHUD version 4.4.3 and sports updated Mac OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4u software developer kits.

The Xcode 2.4.1 update is recommended that all Xcode users.

Apple's second-gen iPod shuffle

Apple's second-gen iPod shuffle: it's tiny

Apple's second-gen iPod shuffle shipping with first-gen earphones

Apple takes seat above Dell in UK EDU market

Thanks to strong MacBook sales, Macworld UK is reporting that Apple is now the number two supplier to the UK education market, pushing Dell into third place.

According to Gartner, Apple has 14.7 per cent of the total PC market for education -- including laptops and desktop computers, but excluding the server market.

In first place is said to be Research Machines with 34.9 per cent of the market. Meanwhile, Dell has slipped to third place with 14.1 per cent. HP came in fourth with 7.7 per cent of the market.

“For the first time, Apple is number one in the EMEA education market with 11.6 per cent of the market in Q3/2006 against 9.6 per cent in Q3/2005,” said Gartner research analyst Isabelle Durand. “Apple performed above the education market average (+9.2 per cent) and grew by 32 per cent in the EMEA education market.”

Apple's new iPod shuffle looks like a winner to me. Good move Apple!
  • Reply 10 of 49
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ah yes, the old "more is better" chestnut.

100 crappy programs are worth less than one stellar program, sorry.

Can we move past the 1998 arguments please? Thenk yew.

(And, would you mind not quoting the *ENTIRE* article for one 'me too!' line? Yeesh.)
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh

Which huge black box? This one? It's their current all-in-one. Nasty

No, the RM 380Z...

It's the box on the top right with it's lid off. Below it is it's disk drive IIRC.

In that same picture is the keyboard and a Cambridge Z88 laptop computer. The Z88 is probably more powerful than the 380Z. Z88s were great.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mkane

Just think OSX could run on the most recent hardware like the NF4 chipsets,more video cards, ATI, AMD processors, Conroe, X-Fi sound cards, light scribe DVD-R's, better motherboards,etc... sorry Apple but your hardware is behind the PC side and this hurts your business.

But then again I'm sure I'll be blasted for stating the above facts...keep in mind I use Linux, XP, and OSX before you start firing off at me.

But you're wrong.

OSX couldn't run on the hardware you quote above without drivers written for the hardware. Hardware is nothing without software.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mkane

Anyway Apple is only hurting their chance to gain a huge market share buy selling software and gain many more software developers(when compared to Windows OSX lacks terribly when it comes to software) for OSX and the future OS(11).

Can't say I'm missing anything thanks so I'd say you're wrong there too.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

This has been said many times before, but no one seems to remember it: Apple is a hardware company. The only reason they develop software is to sell their hardware. They don't make money on software, they make money on hardware. They aren't going to license their software because then they will sell less hardware, which is where they make money. Microsoft is not their competetor (until Zune is released -- and then only for a few months), Dell, HP, Sony, etc are their competetors. And if Jobs thought that Apple could sell more (high-end) hardware (not the cheap hardware that most people buy at Dell -- you _can_ get good hardware from Dell, but most of Dell's sales are on cheap systems where the margins are very low) by selling machines with Windows as the primary OS, you would never see OSX again!

And, no: Apple does not want to be number one. At least not in the way that you mean it. They would love to be number one in high-end sales (again, because these are the systems that have highly profitable margins).
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Hmmm.... a bit worried about that shuffle clip now. Gotta go see if they have them in stock at my local store...

er... just got off the phone with them... no shuffle's 'til Friday, dang it.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Hmmm.... a bit worried about that shuffle clip now. Gotta go see if they have them in stock at my local store...

er... just got off the phone with them... no shuffle's 'til Friday, dang it.

I don't think the idea was that they are flimsy, but rather that the spring force isn't too strong.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Apple would not be number 1 in the UK market if they licensed OS X to Dell and others, their market share would go down. Less people would buy Macs and stick OS X on a Dell, making Dell's market share rise again.

Quote:

We're talking about hardware market share here, not software. Dell, HP nor RM make an operating system, so how would you compare that if it doesn't exist?
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I don't think the idea was that they are flimsy, but rather that the spring force isn't too strong.

Yes, that's the impression I got also. Perhaps the force could be adjusted by covering both sides of the clip (thus increasing thickness of the clip and the resistance)...
  • Reply 18 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Yes, that's the impression I got also. Perhaps the force could be adjusted by covering both sides of the clip (thus increasing thickness of the clip and the resistance)...

That was my thought as well.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

Whatever.

The Mac works because Apple engineers the hardware and the software to work together.

I'm not disputing you can do it - but I just think you'd end up with an arse, bloated OS X too if it had to be able to run on the near infinite combinations of PC hardware out there.

---------------------------------

Back to topic.

I've not seen the new headphones in the flesh but they look like old ones(?)
  • Reply 20 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Nope. Just the opposite. Apple would be history in a couple of months, maybe sooner.

Once again, repeat after me, "Apple is a hardware company, not a software company." The software is there to sell the hardware, period.