Microsoft first to bat with direct-to-television movie downloads

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Just curious as to how many hours it would take to download a HD movie with todays internet connections?

Completely depends on connection speed. Some ISP's are now offering extremely reasonable deals for up to 6.0 and 8.0 speeds (earthlink example below,) which would probably take less than a couple of hours..

http://www.earthlink.net/voice/bundles/dslhomephone/ - ( Earthlink's $69.95 voip phone and 8.0 Mbps DSL bundled service.)

However, with iTunes and Microsoft's movie services you can begin viewing these files after a few minutes.
  • Reply 82 of 124
    Wow, the misinformation and ignorance in this thread is stunning.

Firstly, you do not need to be an Xbox Live Gold subscriber to access this video download service. You only need to be an Xbox Live member, which is free. Secondly, the service will use Microsoft Points, the same as Zune and other Xbox purchases, so there's synergy there.

Thirdly, people act like this Xbox Video Download service is the only way you can watch movies and TV shows on your Xbox 360. It's not.

Everything Apple has promised with iTV can already be done on Xbox 360 with a Windows PC. And I do mean everything, plus more besides.

Xbox 360 can access music, picture and video content from your standard Windows XP PC over the network (or your Mac if it is running Connect360.) But Xbox 360 takes it a step further and includes Windows Media Center Extender support, which means you can already access online movie stores on your Xbox 360 through your PC running Windows XP Media Center edition. And PCs running Media Center far outnumber Macs, both in market share and installed base.

Apple is absolutely playing catch-up in this space.

Me personally, I like this service because it's the very first online movie/TV download service that offers HD resolution. I dunno if I'll use it that often though. I'm waiting to get Verizon FIOS installed, which can download HD movies at faster-than-real-time speeds.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by staylor007

Why not just get Netflix? All you're doing is "renting" the movies through this service anyway? And only 24 hours to watch it? Sounds kind of strict to me.

yes...yes...too restrictive....i rent to view AT my convenience not MS. and what about cost? to do the xbox thing you have to buy an xbox. i think they are mired in their own arrogance. keep adding stuff to stuff to make it better stuff....say how do you get a virus off the xbox?? and are the HD's upgradable?? i think all this will let MS be number 2 and close the door on all those manufactures that compete with MS not apple. see i don't see this or any thing MS does as "ipod" or "apple" killer. i think the biggest hurt will be from creative, and others. MS says i can't really compete with apple so i will gobble up what i can when i can. it's not about apple, it's about 3rd party mp3 makers, tivo etc.....not apple. i think SJ will drop a bomb on all this in jan and be bigger than we all think. Oh and can we get more ipod stuff in yuch brown please--oooooh must be ahead of the consumer curve there don't you think...oh zune i knew they least.
  • Reply 84 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

However, with iTunes and Microsoft's movie services you can begin viewing these files after a few minutes.

However, if you do that with Microsoft's service, you better make sure you don't have any interruptions....tick tock, tick tock.
  • Reply 85 of 124
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnnDunn

Everything Apple has promised with iTV can already be done on Xbox 360 with a Windows PC. And I do mean everything, plus more besides.

Xbox 360 can access music, picture and video content from your standard Windows XP PC over the network (or your Mac if it is running Connect360.) But Xbox 360 takes it a step further and includes Windows Media Center Extender support, which means you can already access online movie stores on your Xbox 360 through your PC running Windows XP Media Center edition. And PCs running Media Center far outnumber Macs, both in market share and installed base.

Apple is absolutely playing catch-up in this space.

Actually you were able to do all of this on your Mac before the xBox 360 was on the market with Front Row, which if you wanted to you could hook up to a television.

As I have said before, all iTV is just a pretty interface, a thin client if you will.

I could buy a Mac mini, hook it up to my tv and have it point to my iMac and there you go. I will have an iTV before Apple even release it. Plus I will have additional storage space on the mini itself.

So I hate to prove you wrong but Apple had this on the market before Microsoft.
  • Reply 86 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

yes...yes...too restrictive....i rent to view AT my convenience not MS. and what about cost? to do the xbox thing you have to buy an xbox. i think they are mired in their own arrogance. keep adding stuff to stuff to make it better stuff....say how do you get a virus off the xbox?? and are the HD's upgradable?? i think all this will let MS be number 2 and close the door on all those manufactures that compete with MS not apple. see i don't see this or any thing MS does as "ipod" or "apple" killer. i think the biggest hurt will be from creative, and others. MS says i can't really compete with apple so i will gobble up what i can when i can. it's not about apple, it's about 3rd party mp3 makers, tivo etc.....not apple. i think SJ will drop a bomb on all this in jan and be bigger than we all think. Oh and can we get more ipod stuff in yuch brown please--oooooh must be ahead of the consumer curve there don't you think...oh zune i knew they least.

1. Restrictive? What is so restrictive about clicking "rent now" when you are ready to view. No one is making you click when it is not AT YOUR convenience?

2. Cost? you say to do the xbox thing you need to buy an Xbox? You're right, and to do the iTv thing you need to buy an iTv? iTv is $199, xbox is $299 and does EVERYTHING iTv can do plus it has a DVD player, a hard drive AND it can play games.

2. Xbox keeps adding stuff to make it better? Actually, Xbox has had wifi capabilities (the same as iTv will have) since it launched last year.

Just playing the Devil's advocate here.. Quite honestly, Ms's model does not seem to bad. Rentals, High Definition and a hardware device that matches iTv's capabilities and does more.
  • Reply 87 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Actually you were able to do all of this on your Mac before the xBox 360 was on the market with Front Row, which if you wanted to you could hook up to a television.

As I have said before, all iTV is just a pretty interface, a thin client if you will.

I could buy a Mac mini, hook it up to my tv and have it point to my iMac and there you go. I will have an iTV before Apple even release it. Plus I will have additional storage space on the mini itself.

Actually, I think Xbox 360 and Front Row came out about the same time..
  • Reply 88 of 124
    Quote:

...that matches iTv's capabilities and does more.

This "more" thing you speak of (gaming) does not appeal to everyone. When will the people in this thread get that? Not everyone is a gamer
  • Reply 89 of 124
    Quote:

1. Restrictive? What is so restrictive about clicking "rent now" when you are ready to view. No one is making you click when it is not AT YOUR convenience?

2. Cost? you say to do the xbox thing you need to buy an Xbox? You're right, and to do the iTv thing you need to buy an iTv? iTv is $199, xbox is $299 and does EVERYTHING iTv can do plus it has a DVD player, a hard drive AND it can play games.

2. Xbox keeps adding stuff to make it better? Actually, Xbox has had wifi capabilities (the same as iTv will have) since it launched last year.

Just playing the Devil's advocate here.. Quite honestly, Ms's model does not seem to bad. Rentals, High Definition and a hardware device that matches iTv's capabilities and does more.

tick tock tick tock, i have little kids like many families and i should be able to view with a rental as much as i want ....hey i've seen schrek 2 a billion times, the incredibles way more. so for those with kids the time frame should be my own. and i am not a gamer. so what about the virus question???

perhaps you can lend me your xbox so i can participate with MS and test the waters.

does MS have a history of doing something the consumer really wants or has to accept. that business model has changed for the better apple has set the standard. as for my family we will follow apple.
  • Reply 90 of 124
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    The rumored $4 per rental doesn't seem too bad but still a hair too high for my tastes.

This type of service doesn't compete with DVDs as much as it competes with PPV and VOD (pay ones) from cable and satellite providers. I have FIOS and as long as Verizon doesn't keel over from everyone hammering their infrastucture I should be able to stream a 720p HD feed after a few minutes of buffer.

Vinea
  • Reply 91 of 124
    Quote:

tick tock tick tock, i have little kids like many families and i should be able to view with a rental as much as i want ....hey i've seen schrek 2 a billion times, the incredibles way more. so for those with kids the time frame should be my own. and i am not a gamer. so what about the virus question???

perhaps you can lend me your xbox so i can participate with MS and test the waters.

does MS have a history of doing something the consumer really wants or has to accept. that business model has changed for the better apple has set the standard. as for my family we will follow apple.

You can view as much as you want within the rental period which is 24 hours. Just like renting from a video store, It's due back the next day but you can watch it as much as you want during that timeframe. If you don't return by it's due date you will either pay a late fee or have to re-rent.

Viruses? Xbox does not have any viruses, It does not run the Windows OS. To date, Xbox is just as virus free as OSX.

I don't know what you mean by "Apple has set the standard." Apples business model is to purchase movies, which personally, I'm not interested in.. I like to purchase music, but I have always "rented" movies. I hope that Apple eventually introduces a rental option for it's movies, until then I'm not interested in paying $10-$14 to own a digital file I will likely only watch once.
  • Reply 92 of 124
    Quote:

This "more" thing you speak of (gaming) does not appeal to everyone. When will the people in this thread get that? Not everyone is a gamer

True, but for $100 more you're still getting a Hi-Def DVD player and a hard drive.
  • Reply 93 of 124
    Quote:

True, but for $100 more you're still getting a Hi-Def DVD player and a hard drive.

Do you work for Microsoft or something? What the point of this statement?
  • Reply 94 of 124
    Quote:

Microsoft had the Media Center interface (which is directly analogous to Front Row) way back in 2003. It had Media Center Extender devices (which are directly analogous to iTV) back in 2004. Even the previous Xbox had Media Center Extender functionality. Xbox 360 is just the latest in a long line of devices with Media Extender functionality.

The facts are as simple as they are clear. Apple is just getting into this space while Microsoft has been doing it for years. Windows Media Center is a more mature, robust, feature-packed platform. And with Xbox 360 and Windows Vista, it will be even easier to use than Apple's products.

Media Center Extender users can already download movies and TV shows from their couches. This is nothing new for us. I did it the day before iTV was announced, but it's been possible since 2004.

But of course, now Xbox 360 has its own self-contained video download store, with HD movies and TV shows, no PC required. They have said it will interconnect with Zune in future. Apple has nothing like this. Period.
  • Reply 95 of 124
    Quote:

No I don't work for Microsoft... I'm a huge Apple supporter... But honestly, this is the first time I like Microsofts approach better than Apple's. There are two biggies that I think Microsoft is getting right in regards to movies. A rental option and HD quality. I'll be happy to use iTV if these options are available upon it's release... I"ve never purchased movies on DVD and I don't intend to start purchasing movies in digital files just because Apple is selling them.. Let me rent my movies for a couple of bucks each and I'll happily plop down $199 to buy an iTv box to watch them with. Afterall, isn't it Apple who says "the money's in the hardware, not the content."
  • Reply 96 of 124
    gee i get to watch something "as much as i want" as long as it's MS 24hrs. the consumer should pick the time frame for me it's when ever i want. i like netflix maybe apple should buy them or use their model.
  • Reply 97 of 124
    Quote:

gee i get to watch something "as much as i want" as long as it's MS 24hrs. the consumer should pick the time frame for me it's when ever i want. i like netflix maybe apple should buy them or use their model.

Why is it so hard for you to understand the concept of RENTING... It's no different than renting a dvd from a video store. To "rent" means to pay to use something for a limited time period. With movies, it's generally a 24 hour period unless you pay a monthly fee for unlimited usage. If you think you or your kids are going to watch something 10, 20 or a 100 times, then you'd probably be better off BUYING it. But I think it's safe to say that the majority of people who "rent" a movie watch it once and then return it.
  • Reply 98 of 124
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

What does it matter what company makes the product? I don't even know what brand my bedroom cheepie DVD player is but the features on it were good and the price was right.
  • Reply 99 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123

What does it matter what company makes the product? I don't even know what brand my bedroom cheepie DVD player is but the features on it were good and the price was right.

What does it matter? For the same reason I do not like going into places like The Good Guys or Circut City...

me: what's this thing do?

them: oh it's a video game console

me: oh thanks not interested, not much of a gamer

them: but for a 100 bucks more it can do X, Y, and Z

me: I told you I'm not much of a gamer.

them: but....

I'm not that dumb to not know what a video game console is but I just flat out don't care and the rest of America who do not play video games will not buy a new xBox because you can rent HD movies and TV and also doubles as an HD-DVD player. If they don't play video games then the device will not appeal to them.
  • Reply 100 of 124
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

All new Mac's (except the mini) have 802.11n.

Currently unsupported (AFAIK) draft-n.

Quote:

iTV will have 802.11n ?

That's still speculation since only "802.11" support has been announced by Apple (AFAIK).

Quote:

iTv is $199

Quote:

? I'll happily plop down $199 to buy an iTv box ?

$299 was the price announced during the Showtime presentation.

How's the Xbox 360 fan noise?