Microsoft first to bat with direct-to-television movie downloads

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

Let me rent my movies for a couple of bucks each and I'll happily plop down $199 to buy an iTv box to watch them with."

..$299
  • Reply 102 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk

How's the Xbox 360 fan noise?

/in other news the PS3 is super quiet. Here's a quote from Joystiq: "At a rating of just 22 decibels, it’s only slightly louder than a human whisper. All we know is that we could barely hear it running."
  • Reply 103 of 124
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

The facts are as simple as they are clear. Apple is just getting into this space while Microsoft has been doing it for years.

But not very successfully. If Media Center were its own company it will have been unprofitable since 2003.

Quote:

And with Xbox 360 and Windows Vista, it will be even easier to use than Apple's products.

You cannot really say that for sure. We've only had a preview of iTV.

Since Apple is selling iTV for Mac and Windows, Apple knows it will need to have some compelling reason for Windows users to choose it over Media Center.
  • Reply 104 of 124
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Thanks for all who corrected me, $299...
  • Reply 105 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

But not very successfully. If Media Center were its own company it will have been unprofitable since 2003.

You cannot really say that for sure. We've only had a preview of iTV.

Since Apple is selling iTV for Mac and Windows, Apple knows it will need to have some compelling reason for Windows users to choose it over Media Center.

Judging by the fact that XP Media Center Edition has all but replaced XP Home Edition as the consumer version of Windows, and is bundled on most mid to high-end consumer PCs, I'd say the Media Center team has done very well. The Extenders haven't been successful, but Microsoft doesn't make those, except the one inside the 360. And the 360 has been a success so far (though not financially.)

Having used Vista Media Center and 360 together, I can tell you that the two work together very well.
  • Reply 106 of 124
    Quote:

Thanks for all who corrected me, $299...

no it's $299
  • Reply 107 of 124
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Judging by the fact that XP Media Center Edition has all but replaced XP Home Edition as the consumer version of Windows, and is bundled on most mid to high-end consumer PCs, I'd say the Media Center team has done very well.

That's because now it comes bundled. Until last year buying a media center was an optional. An option that few people chose.

In 2005 Media Center was four years old and had only sold 6.5 million copies out of the hundreds of millions of copies of Windows in the world. That is why MS decided to bundle it with most consumer PC's above $500.

Quote:

Having used Vista Media Center and 360 together, I can tell you that the two work together very well.

Well that does not mean iTV will not work better. Apple has a better track record with device convergence and elegant user interface, and still has a couple of months to work on iTV.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    Everybody!!! The iTV isn't for computer geeks, it's for regular people, it's for anyone, even your mothers etc. who can barely work a DVD player. If you have a modern HD TV, you can plug the iTV into the wall, and plug into your TV with one lead, turn on the iTV and away you go. From what Jobs demoed, it's about as easy to use as a toaster. So if you can make toast without burning your house to the ground, then this will be as easy to use for you as it's gets, technology-wise. You just sit back in your chair with your tiny little remote and browse away. With Google and YouTube in Apple's pockets now, we can clearly assume users will be able to watch and browse viral videos from their couches with easy. And my mother doesn't know what an Xbox 360 is, but she knows what an iPod is.
  • Reply 109 of 124
    I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so damn complicated to use an Xbox 360. The setup to link your computer and 360 together so you can use it as an MCE is cake. Everyone just thinks that since it's a MS product it has to be complicated. It's as simple as any other game system.

If Apple offers HD Downloads at a competitve price then I'll definately take a look at iTV, I'm thrilled to try out the Matrix in HD when the service launches on the 22nd.

Also whats all this complaining about rental restrictions? Have any of you used the On Demand features of Cable or DBS Companies? Apparently not. MS is pretty much using the same model as they are for the rental concept. If you don't like it then don't use it and rent your videos from NetFlix or Blockbuster, but those aren't exactly on demand are they?
  • Reply 110 of 124
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

What does it matter? For the same reason I do not like going into places like The Good Guys or Circut City...

I'm not that dumb to not know what a video game console is but I just flat out don't care and the rest of America who do not play video games will not buy a new xBox because you can rent HD movies and TV and also doubles as an HD-DVD player. If they don't play video games then the device will not appeal to them.

Best Buy, Circuit City, Good Guys, bring it on. I could spend hours there.

I've never smart enough to think of it as a video game console, I've always thought of it as an Xbox. Hey, I wouldn't get it for the video game thing either, but the HD-DVD is another story.
  • Reply 111 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scavanger

I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so damn complicated to use an Xbox 360. The setup to link your computer and 360 together so you can use it as an MCE is cake. Everyone just thinks that since it's a MS product it has to be complicated. It's as simple as any other game system.

If Apple offers HD Downloads at a competitve price then I'll definately take a look at iTV, I'm thrilled to try out the Matrix in HD when the service launches on the 22nd.

Also whats all this complaining about rental restrictions? Have any of you used the On Demand features of Cable or DBS Companies? Apparently not. MS is pretty much using the same model as they are for the rental concept. If you don't like it then don't use it and rent your videos from NetFlix or Blockbuster, but those aren't exactly on demand are they?

what he said!!

i feel the same way. i don't understand what is so hard about plugging in an xbox360. there are far more complicated things to do, like setting up a surround sound system and people still do it. game console UIs aren't that hard to figure out. and, if people manage to use 4 different remote controllers at home i don't see why using the 360 would be such a hassle.
  • Reply 112 of 124
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

2. Cost? you say to do the xbox thing you need to buy an Xbox? You're right, and to do the iTv thing you need to buy an iTv? iTv is $199, xbox is $299 and does EVERYTHING iTv can do plus it has a DVD player, a hard drive AND it can play games.

The hardware costs to get a movie through iTunes are 0, because you're very likely to already have a computer capable of running iTunes.

The hardware costs to get a movie through Xbox Marketplace are $299, because you're much less likely to already have an Xbox.

With iTunes, you already have an integrated backup solution. You also already have the ability to use it on your iPods, if you have any. You can also share it across five different computers in your house. For $299, you can add the ability to play it in your living room, and if that's too much for you, you can get some audio and video cabling and do it for near zero by hooking up your computer to your TV, especially if you have a Mac mini.

I'm not gonna get into rental vs. purchase, since they're different model; one is not "better" than the other. Matter of preference. I'd like iTunes to offer both options.
  • Reply 113 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

The hardware costs to get a movie through iTunes are 0, because you're very likely to already have a computer capable of running iTunes.

The hardware costs to get a movie through Xbox Marketplace are $299, because you're much less likely to already have an Xbox.

With iTunes, you already have an integrated backup solution. You also already have the ability to use it on your iPods, if you have any. You can also share it across five different computers in your house. For $299, you can add the ability to play it in your living room, and if that's too much for you, you can get some audio and video cabling and do it for near zero by hooking up your computer to your TV, especially if you have a Mac mini.

I'm not gonna get into rental vs. purchase, since they're different model; one is not "better" than the other. Matter of preference. I'd like iTunes to offer both options.

Everything you said regarding iTunes applies equally to Windows, except the $299 living-room player is already here for Windows, and it has the option to download its own TV shows and movies independent of any computer.
  • Reply 114 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnnDunn

Everything you said regarding iTunes applies equally to Windows,

Which is precisely why I said "computer", not "Mac".

Quote:

except the $299 living-room player is already here for Windows, and it has the option to download its own TV shows and movies independent of any computer.

No, it's not an option; it's a requirement.
  • Reply 115 of 124
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

Most Xbox's are controlled by the kids. Most families that just have one Xbox per household, if any. Most Xbox's are hooked up to the kid's TV. Not the giant screen or the 42" plasma in the family room. For mom or dad to have to ask young Johnny for his Xbox to watch a movie will undoubtedly create delay, conflict or consternation hooking, unhooking and rehooking.

I don't know how it is where you're living but I recall from a survey that the average age of the best local gaming magazine's readership (not subscriptors but readers) was over 20. In a lot of households that do have the 360, the main user of the 360 also pays the rent. Especially since it's a new and expensive console. Cheap consoles for kids FTW.

From my personal perspective, I am not much in touch with kids but I have seen them play PC's, maybe less consoles. People I know between 20-25 have a steady supply of DS, PSP, GC and PS2, so far one has the 360 I believe - he just wants the latest mainstream games, no matter which console as long it's next gen - and of course PC gaming. Everybody games with PC's. Well, not me nowadays. Played a little WoW on the iBook but I felt the best content (combat versus other players) was inaccessible with such a weak computer.
  • Reply 116 of 124
    Quote:

Which is precisely why I said "computer", not "Mac".

No, it's not an option; it's a requirement.

I meant that everything you said with regard to iTunes also applies to Windows Media Center.

And you do not have to use the 360 to download shows. You can download them from services like MovieLink or Cinemanow via your PC and watch them on your 360.
  • Reply 117 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnnDunn

And you do not have to use the 360 to download shows. You can download them from services like MovieLink or Cinemanow via your PC and watch them on your 360.

I thought this thread was about comparing Marketplace and iTunes.
  • Reply 118 of 124
    Quote:

I thought this thread was about comparing Marketplace and iTunes.

Yea. Microsoft really blew it with the Zune Marketplace.

That got me thinking... where did that phrase come from...

like blew it... as in blow up

or like blew it as in blow job?

...Sucks is pretty obvious, but I was wondering if the blew it was the same logic. Or I suppose "that blows" could be taken as a different saying from "blew it"
  • Reply 119 of 124
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon

I don't know how it is where you're living but I recall from a survey that the average age of the best local gaming magazine's readership (not subscriptors but readers) was over 20. In a lot of households that do have the 360, the main user of the 360 also pays the rent. Especially since it's a new and expensive console. Cheap consoles for kids FTW.

Most kids who play video games won't read magazines or take surveys.
  • Reply 120 of 124
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    ESA says average gamer is 33.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/top_10_facts.php