Apple strengthens Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard with new build

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrikmk

One thing that's been forgotten is Quartz 2D Extreme, which has yet to be enabled, because it's still too buggy in Tiger, AFAIK.

Remember this chart? :-)

Based on that graph, I hope they get it working for 10.5.

- Mark
  • Reply 22 of 151
    My (optimistic) prediction: with Vista officially "released" (to some people), we'll see a new Finder at MacWorld. With a "Spring" release, there will still be some time to beta test it. Think about it: if a new Finder showed up in one of these dev builds, pictures would be leaked immediately, and Steve wouldn't have anything new about Leopard to show at MacWorld.

Now, how much is changing about Finder is anybody's guess. Let's hope they at least kill the brushed metal .
  • Reply 23 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH

I remember that Steve Jobs said that not all features of Leopard were being shown because they did not want MS to copy. But exactly how stable are they going to be if testers have not tested them. Does not sound like a great plan... Still going to buy it when it comes out though. hehe.

Isnt vista basically finished now anyway, i know the consumer version wont be out until the end of Jan 07 but i think they have enough problems as it is without trying to add more stuff to it.

A dozen or so bugs, that isnt that many especially when compared to Vista at the same stage of development. They could easily get this finished by years out.
  • Reply 24 of 151
    From the list of remaining bugs it appears to me that Apple has done a lot of work on Leopard - taking advantage of the extended development time they have had over the previous versions.

Besides the new eye candy type features I can see a lot of work on Steve J's favorite goals - speed, speed and more speed. That would probably almost everything in OS X was given a full review and improved when possible.

Throw in a few new consumer oriented apps that we haven't guessed and a performance level that kicks Vista all over the place and Leopard is going to be looking pretty good, Apple's going to get my money for a Family Pack - with educational discount of course!
  • Reply 25 of 151
    There is a NEW FINDER coming to leopard. It will be the last thing put in. I've personally seen builds on Apple campus with the new finder in progress. Yes everything will have a unified look. And the new finder is much more meta browsing than the old one.

Even the current leopard builds have a "new finder" it's just not a new look, but the finder has been completely re-written. Apple won't release builds with the new finder until well after Vista is released
  • Reply 26 of 151
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

I'm going to let Mel test Leopard for me before I buy it!

I do have two machines for that. 8)
  • Reply 27 of 151
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Like 10.4?

Yeah hopefully they can learn from that

Without a doubt there will be plenty of complaining and teeth gnashing when Leopard is first released.

That will eventually become "this the most advanced OS ever".

The same happened with 10.4, 10.3, 10.2.............
  • Reply 28 of 151
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Without a doubt there will be plenty of complaining and teeth gnashing when Leopard is first released.

That will eventually become "this the most advanced OS ever".

The same happened with 10.4, 10.3, 10.2.............

But, hopefully Vista won't lead to an artificially premature release date as happened with 10.4, because of the Intel announcement that Dev Conf, where they didn't want the distraction of introducing the upgrade at the same time.
  • Reply 29 of 151
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH

I remember that Steve Jobs said that not all features of Leopard were being shown because they did not want MS to copy. But exactly how stable are they going to be if testers have not tested them. Does not sound like a great plan... Still going to buy it when it comes out though. hehe.

Most of the bugs that are reported, are reported in house. Apple has a very large and very good QA team. The main reason they pre-release these builds is for last minute checking on the bug fixes and to develop software for the new OS. Do you really think people would PAY apple 500 dollars just to test their OS for them? Ok well maybe some people do. But most REAL QA testers make 65-120k a year. Apple doesn't rely on distributing their builds to developers for stability.

If there is something earth shattering to be released / announced later... I'm sure apple is testing the hell out of it. Apple has all the hardware in the world. They have all the testers... I wouldn't worry about the announced parts not working. Though it's always possible.

I think if Apple added a few things to finder windows like sorting in columns and live updating, maybe texture editing. It would quench a lot of user's thirst. Not many changes for some satisfactory. It at least shows apple knows we want the finder fixed. Com'mon!
  • Reply 30 of 151
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG

What exactly is wrong with the Finder?

I am fairly new to the Mac (about three years of usage) but haven't encountered any problems with it this far. But since the problems even have their own acronym they must be pretty major.

My personal take on the issues can be found here and here, from this thread and this thread.
  • Reply 31 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrikmk

One thing that's been forgotten is Quartz 2D Extreme, which has yet to be enabled, because it's still too buggy in Tiger, AFAIK.

Remember this chart? :-)

I'm pretty sure Quartz 2d Extreme was enabled with tiger. You needed to meet the minimum video card requirements for it though. You know that splash effect you get when drop your widgets in your dashboard??? That's q2e. If you don't meet the minimum requirements for it, it is then disabled. I think a nvidia 5200 / ati 9600 is the absolute lowest you can go on the cards for it to be enabled. While I was at wwdc 04 apple was pushing q2e extremely hard. I seriously doubt they disabled the whole thing. I went to 4 sessions just on q2e / core image (core image needs q2e libraries to work).
  • Reply 32 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus

From the list of remaining bugs it appears to me that Apple has done a lot of work on Leopard

Do you really think that those are the only bugs left in Leopard?
  • Reply 33 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647

I'm pretty sure Quartz 2d Extreme was enabled with tiger.

No, it wasn't. You are confusing "Quartz Extreme" (which is enabled and has been since 10.2) with "Quartz 2D Extreme" (which has never been enabled).
  • Reply 34 of 151
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Has anyone noticed that all these "problems" people say Apple's working on are really really benign? Like this "glitch" that's preventing Eudora from launching, what could be more minor? That just sounds like something someone's just made up. See - no notes of "fixed a deadlock" or a "kernel panic", or "a problem where disk cache may not be updated resulting in data loss". For a NEW system like Leopard those would be more likely problems. All these reports sound like Leopard's been in development for like 2 years already. Either that or Apple has magicians working instead of programmers.
  • Reply 35 of 151
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure Quartz 2d Extreme was enabled with tiger.

No, Quartz 2D Extreme / Quartz GL was not enabled in Tiger. It can manually be enabled, but is highly buggy, even as of 10.4.8.

Quote:

You needed to meet the minimum video card requirements for it though. You know that splash effect you get when drop your widgets in your dashboard??? That's q2e.

No, that's hardware-accelerated Core Image.

Quote:

While I was at wwdc 04 apple was pushing q2e extremely hard. I seriously doubt they disabled the whole thing. I went to 4 sessions just on q2e / core image (core image needs q2e libraries to work).

No, Core Image does not rely on Quartz 2D Extreme, nor on Quartz Extreme.
  • Reply 36 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

No, Core Image does not rely on Quartz 2D Extreme, nor on Quartz Extreme.

You are 100% wrong on that one. The most basic drawing functions use Quartz Extreme for output. Core Video and Core Image BOTH use the Quartz Extreme library

from apple's website:

Quote:

Core Video, joining Core Image in Mac OS X Tiger, delivers a modern foundation for video services, providing a bridge between QuickTime and the Quartz Core framework for hardware-accelerated video processing. In the same way that you can insert filters into the rendering pipeline for images, you can insert filters into the video display pipeline. Like Core Image, a Core Video pipeline reduces CPU load and increases performance for other operations. And Core Video allows developers to apply all the benefits of Core Image to video?blazingly fast performance of filters and effects, per-pixel accuracy and hardware scalability.

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...424-TP30000559

at the bottom of the above url...

Quote:

#Quartz 2D Reference Collection is a complete reference for the Quartz 2D data types that are also used in the Core Image framework.

# Quartz 2D Programming Guide contains information on how to create Quartz 2D images and color spaces, and how to perform 2D drawing with Quartz.

I may have been wrong about Quartz 2d Extreme being enabled, but I know for a fact that core image uses quartz extreme libraries. Been working with it for quite some time. You can revert to the parent object's functions if you need to, which are quartz objects.
  • Reply 37 of 151
    Quote:

You are 100% wrong on that one. The most basic drawing functions use Quartz Extreme for output. Core Video and Core Image BOTH use the Quartz Extreme library

It does not require Quartz Extreme. Core Image and Quartz Extreme share similar GPU requirements (the big requirement being ARB_fragment_program), but if proper GPU acceleration isn't available for an Image Unit, Core Image will fall back on the CPU, using SSE or Altivec depending on architecture.
  • Reply 38 of 151
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

from apple's website:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...424-TP30000559

at the bottom of the above url...

You just quoted an entire block of text that mentions neither Quartz Extreme nor Quartz 2D Extreme / Quartz GL even once.

Quartz Extreme is not a library. It is an addition for Quartz for video-accelerated compositing.

There is no such thing as a graphics card that doesn't support Quartz Extreme yet does support Core Image; therefore all Macs that support GPU-accelerated Core Image also support Quartz Extreme, but that has no bearing at all on Core Image relying on Quartz Extreme; it does not.

Quote:

I may have been wrong about Quartz 2d Extreme being enabled, but I know for a fact that core image uses quartz extreme libraries.

I'd love to see those "Quartz Extreme libraries".

Quote:

Been working with it for quite some time. You can revert to the parent object's functions if you need to, which are quartz objects.

Right-o.
  • Reply 39 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonch

It does not require Quartz Extreme. Core Image and Quartz Extreme share similar GPU requirements (the big requirement being ARB_fragment_program), but if proper GPU acceleration isn't available for an Image Unit, Core Image will fall back on the CPU, using SSE or Altivec depending on architecture.

Read the developer docs I posted above. the Quartz classes / objects are parents to core image.
  • Reply 40 of 151
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

My personal take on the issues can be found here and here, from this thread and this thread.

I'd rather deal with the Finder any day of the week. What really sucks is Windows Explorer. You just have to love the way it doesn't live update available disk space. You have to highlight a folder or file then click back on blank space to update that, and only when you're at the volume's root. Not to mention the way it can't seem to remember my window prefs. I set all windows to detail view but some still come up in other ways. Craptastic.