Apple strengthens Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard with new build

Comments

• Reply 61 of 151
    Sounds like Apple are getting the foundations right for Leopard. And well they might.

Quote:

Leopard seems like a huge release already, to me--big changes under the hood, and high-visiblity features too,

I'd say 'as is'? This is a rock solid release. The best yet.

iChat AV is the best version yet.

Time machine is awesome. Probably the best feature ever included in OS X. Implementation looks first rate. Totally Apple.

64 bit. And done right M$. :P

X-Code 3.

Love the auto arrange text and graphics from emails into Mail templates.

Core Animation looks fantastic. Looks cutting edge to me.

Open GL 2.

...and plenty more.

What's not to like?

And it will probably be running on an 8 Core Mac Pro with an Nividia G80 by next Spring.

What more do we want?

A new Finder?

I speculate thus: The reason for the 'multi-graphical' inconsistencies of Apple's finder is to throw or has been to throw M$ off the scent while working on Vista. Copy. Copy. Copy. Copy. To avoid M$ pinching teh 'new aqua' (like many PC web developers did over night when Apple showed Aqua for the 1st time to Apple's ire...), Apple are rightly keeping the Finder close to their chest.

For years the inconsistencies have been awaiting Vista. Ergo: in the background I speculate Apple have been re-writing the Finder from the ground up to be more like the iTunes 'finder' with maybe a CD Album view and many other 'whooooo' visual innovations.

If Core Animation is anything to go by? It could be awesome.

Just look at Time Machine. Expose. Dashboard. Widgets etc. Cube spin log in another user.

This is just the beginning...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 62 of 151
    Quote:

yama, you are really, really exxagarating on Windows Explorer

No. He's not.

It is THAT bad.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 63 of 151
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG

What exactly is wrong with the Finder?

I am fairly new to the Mac (about three years of usage) but haven't encountered any problems with it this far. But since the problems even have their own acronym they must be pretty major.

Sometimes it's sluggish and has quirky behavior. For example, sometimes if I am at the bottom of a list of files in icon view, I would delete a lot of files and the finder won't display a scroll bar or the remaining files, the folder looks empty despite having fifteen files left. I've seen Finder just stall out when dragging a file to a folder with a lot of files.

I would like Finder to offer a mode where folders are listed first like Windows Explorer does because more likely than not, I need to traverse directories than anything else. Listing the folders first would be a time saver. I would like a way to move files between drives rather than copy and then delete the old copy.
  • Reply 64 of 151
    Quote:

and no way of getting "properties" without using a right-click.

Actually Alt+Enter works just fine.
  • Reply 65 of 151
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I hope you're right lemon.

I can picture apple keeping the lid on the the finder project until vista is to come out. I think apple can really push the limit if they wanted to. Hell, look at pathfinder for ideas. I think pathfinder is huge bloatware, but there are some things it does right.
  • Reply 66 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

Having to "refresh" the window kills me! You save a file to a location but since you're looking at it in Explorer already it doesn't show, that is until you choose view -> refresh. Simply annoying.

It's somewhat annoying, but F5 is the hot key for refresh. I don't think it's a debilitating problem.
  • Reply 67 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Sometimes it's sluggish and has quirky behavior. For example, sometimes if I am at the bottom of a list of files in icon view, I would delete a lot of files and the finder won't display a scroll bar or the remaining files, the folder looks empty despite having fifteen files left. I've seen Finder just stall out when dragging a file to a folder with a lot of files.

I would like Finder to offer a mode where folders are listed first like Windows Explorer does because more likely than not, I need to traverse directories than anything else. Listing the folders first would be a time saver. I would like a way to move files between drives rather than copy and then delete the old copy.

Then I think you should try holding the "command" key down while dragging your file from drive to drive !

Never forget that :

"Option" copies the file

"Command + Option" makes an alias of the file

"Command" moves the file if that's not the default behavior !
  • Reply 68 of 151
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected]

Then I think you should try holding the "command" key down while dragging your file from drive to drive !

Never forget that :

"Option" copies the file

"Command + Option" makes an alias of the file

"Command" moves the file if that's not the default behavior !

pah, i scoff at keyboard controls. always forget. and when you use 3 different operating systems, it all goes out the windows (sic).
  • Reply 69 of 151
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

well, they need .something. to make this a major OS release because nothing I see makes it more than a point release. Tiger doesn't have much over panther, at least from a user perspective. [Tiger] Spotlight, widgets, automator...do not make for a major release, imho. Sure there is junk under the hood, but ...whoopie, I don't see it in use. So Leopard with Time Machine isn't much at all.

They need to ramp this up a notch to be a real overhaul otherwise its just a ho-hum, here's my $129. k, Thanks Steve-o.

This is why Windows sucks so bad. People expect major life altering OS improvements between major OS cycles. Apple has taken the path that gives us a little at a time but when you look back two releases you say, dang, how did we live back then!!

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Reply 70 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

And just what great creative innovation could you develop for the finder. Oh, my apologies. I didn't realize that you have 10 billion in the bank because of your accomplishments.

Don't be an ass. I don't think one needs to be a coder to know that a program can use major improvements.
  • Reply 71 of 151
    Quote:

"I would like a way to move files between drives rather than copy and then delete the old copy."

Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! Think about it!
  • Reply 72 of 151
    Quote:

"I would like a way to move files between drives rather than copy and then delete the old copy."

Huh? Why shouldn't it be one operation that hides both operations? I don't think it should be two separate operations that I have to manually perform. I'd also rather have it a one-button operation than have to hold down a keyboard key while dragging.
  • Reply 73 of 151
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

What? Why is that dumb? As has been pointed out, using the "command" key while dragging solves the problem.
  • Reply 74 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

pah, i scoff at keyboard controls. always forget. and when you use 3 different operating systems, it all goes out the windows (sic).

The only thing that you need to remember is that "command", "option", "shift" and "cntrl" are called "modifier keys" for a reason - they modify behaviours/actions.

The Finder uses small icons to indicate what a drag & drop action is going to do. Start to drag and drop an icon from one directory to another on the same disk, and just a faint icon of the file you are dragging appears, indicating that the file will be moved. Hold down the "option" key, and a "plus" sign appears, indicating a copy will occur. Hold down "option" and "command" together, and an arrow appears, indicating that an alias will be created.

If dragging a file from one disk to another, then the default drag has a plus sign, indicating a copy will occur. Hold down "command", and the plus disappears, indicating a move will occur instead.
  • Reply 75 of 151
    Quote:

I'd also rather have it a one-button operation than have to hold down a keyboard key while dragging.

Now you're just being picky. You don't have to hold down the command key for the whole drag, you just have to make sure it's pressed before releasing the mouse button. Pressing "command" for a second is still quicker than having to go back and manually delete the files you've copied.
  • Reply 76 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

What? Why is that dumb? As has been pointed out, using the "command" key while dragging solves the problem.

First of all, being able to simply drag a file to another drive without leaving a copy of the original could have disastrous effects. I personally would not recommend it. Even after copying a file to another drive, I will check to ensure that the copy is valid before tossing the original. I may sound paranoid, but most of my data information is highly sensitive programming code.

Using the command-key as part of the operation is better, as it requires an additional purposeful action. Much like using a button than a check box in database management programs that require you hold down the shift key to un-select a button that was previously marked as selected.
  • Reply 77 of 151
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck

Has anyone noticed that all these "problems" people say Apple's working on are really really benign? Like this "glitch" that's preventing Eudora from launching, what could be more minor? That just sounds like something someone's just made up. See - no notes of "fixed a deadlock" or a "kernel panic", or "a problem where disk cache may not be updated resulting in data loss". For a NEW system like Leopard those would be more likely problems. All these reports sound like Leopard's been in development for like 2 years already. Either that or Apple has magicians working instead of programmers.

Perhaps they haven't fixed those major problems yet, only the minor ones they have reported on.
  • Reply 78 of 151
    Quote:

… sometimes if I am at the bottom of a list of files in icon view, I would delete a lot of files and the finder won't display a scroll bar or the remaining files, the folder looks empty despite having fifteen files left.

Set the view options to keep the files arranged.
  • Reply 79 of 151
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG

What exactly is wrong with the Finder?

I am fairly new to the Mac (about three years of usage) but haven't encountered any problems with it this far. But since the problems even have their own acronym they must be pretty major.

Compared to Windows Explorer Finder is slow, very slow! On Windows folders open instantly and it's a much more fluid process. I think this is due to the thumbnails Finder loads. Also Windows has some nice see through folder features, which although implemented in a bad way, make for a more intuitive experience. However, Apple's column view is second to none. Right clicking on folders in the dock is also insanely slow.

I personally think Apple is developing these exclusive features in parallel with the builds they're releasing. I want to see some exciting improvements! Although the Finder has been changed slightly since Tiger in the Leopard builds which implies maybe that wont be seeing the overhaul. I hope Time Machine can roll back OS installs.
  • Reply 80 of 151
    Quote:

Set the view options to keep the files arranged.

I do, but it does not arrange folders first, then files.