Microsoft begins uphill battle against iPod on Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 121 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Well, you do have to protect your "manhood".

Yeah I hear http://www.sudokuforcooldefinitelyheteroguys.com is starting to get big.

Hah! Get Big!! Unintended pun....!!
  • Reply 122 of 152
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    meh . .
  • Reply 123 of 152
    n00b.
  • Reply 124 of 152
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Heh, heh!
  • Reply 125 of 152
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Consoles, PS2-gen equivalent and Next-Gen, have really pushed PC gaming more to the margins.

Not as much as you might think. World of Warcraft alone brings in something around $1 BILLION a year in subscription fees. There isn't a console game out there that comes close to that. And a lot of folks just look at the game SALES revenue charts of console vs PC and assume that PC gaming is done. Nope, gotta look at subscription fees as well.

PC gaming will always be around, it just won't be the #1 segment of the market, that's all.

• Reply 126 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck

Look at who designed the Zune. It's the Xbox team.

I believe the Xbox team has been watching the development and witnessing the huge buzz surrounding the Nintendo Wii with some amount of jealousy. The are thinking to themselves, "why didn't we think of this first? Obviously, gaming should be a social event!" Social products were obviouly on their mind.

Sorry to dig so far back in the thread, but could you give me one example of how the Wii is more "social gaming" focused than Xbox?

Xbox is supported by Xbox Live, which is entirely about social interactivity, either in game (voice chat in games, game matchmaking, etc.) or out of game (friends list, messaging, gamerscores and achievements leaderboards). Almost all games have some sort of internet playability to allow you to play with your friends online. The hwole idea of Xbox Live is creating a community of gamers. Also, they still have the support for using 4 controllers, or even linking up your Xbox's to play multiplayer stuff in the same room

What does the Wii have? It is launching with ZERO games that support online play. In the next year, there will be 2 more. There is no more focus on community than with the Xbox.

And further, the Xbox was released a year before the Wii! Xbox had this nailed before the Wii was a spec in anyone's eye.

Say what you want about how "the social" doesn't work for music, or how MS has the zune all wrong, but if you're going to be putting out these "theories", then don't base it on something that is so obviously false.
  • Reply 127 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

What's more social? Playing Halflife 5 on the net with a bunch of strangers or online buddies, or a game of Mario Kart 11 with your best friend in your living room?

Is my quote-unquote "best friend" going to put out after we play Mario Kart?
  • Reply 128 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

What's more social? Playing Halflife 5 on the net with a bunch of strangers or online buddies, or a game of Mario Kart 11 with your best friend in your living room?

I personally consider online gaming "anti-social" and I think most sociologists would agree.

Way way seconded. You took the words out of my mouth.

Also, Nintendo is totally going for this: rather than focusing on screen shots, almost all of their press includes pictures of people playing the Wii together, and specifically, people who look anything but "gamer."
  • Reply 129 of 152
    Quote:

It's been known to happen :P
  • Reply 130 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Also, Nintendo is totally going for this: rather than focusing on screen shots, almost all of their press includes pictures of people playing the Wii together, and specifically, people who look anything but "gamer."

Edit: Yes, agreed on Nintendo Wii strategy.

Microsoft tried to show people enjoying doing stuff together (presumably listening to music and squirting each other) with the Zune windows - except they all seem to be in tremendous amount of pain. http://www.macdailynews.com/gfx/arti...zune_error.jpg

• Reply 131 of 152
    Quote:

It's been known to happen :P

Cool. I'm ditching my PC-upgrade antisocial-online gameplaying XBOX360/PS3 HDTV-lusting lifestyle for a Nintendo Wii.... "Yeah baby, why don't we check out some Mario Kart for a while - you can like swing this nunchuck thing around..." A couple of vodkas/ sauvingnon blanc/ cones(??) and/or Jaegermeister and hell, multiplayer-in-the-same room Wii may just be a hell of a lot more fun than making out and stuff. Also might work without the need for drugs or alcohol. I likey....
  • Reply 132 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jgordner

Say what you want about how "the social" doesn't work for music, or how MS has the zune all wrong....

I for one am wondering WTF "the social" is all about. I have a vague idea, I'm pretty clued-in on things American. However, warning to Microsoft: IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE TO ANY OTHER COUNTRY, English-speaking or otherwise. Just a warning when they bring Zune around the globe.
  • Reply 133 of 152
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Microsoft tried to show people enjoying doing stuff together (presumably listening to music and squirting each other) with the Zune windows - except they all seem to be in tremendous amount of pain.

The error box fell on them while they were preparing for their three-way. They have to close all applications and start over.
  • Reply 134 of 152
    Quote:

Way way seconded. You took the words out of my mouth.

Except that the Xbox doesn't preclude people from playing stuff in the same room. I'll admit that nintendo first party games are great for having a bunch of friends over and playing (Mario Kart, Smash Bros.), but that's hardly a function of the Wii. It's been like that since N64, where Nintendo makes a few good social games. But that's nothing special about a Wii to encourage that any more than there is on Gamecube or N64.

Have you never gone over to a friend's house to play 4 way halo? I have. And even if you haven't, it is a popular thing for fans of the game to do.

And while we are on how they are advertising:

http://www.youtube.com/v/dFqLN-eJ3GM

vs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CkS2DJ6VX_g

Tough to say that the Wii is getting a more social message across. Both are saying, "our console will let you experience things with your friends." The Xbox commercial just happens to do it in a more clever way
  • Reply 135 of 152
    Quote:

Microsoft tried to show people enjoying doing stuff together (presumably listening to music and squirting each other) with the Zune windows - except they all seem to be in tremendous amount of pain. http://www.macdailynews.com/gfx/arti...zune_error.jpg

Um...that's the point. These people are in pain because you've just hit an installation error. They show all the people having fun and listening to music and stuff when you are actually installing, not after the process broke.
  • Reply 136 of 152
    Quote:

Sure. Your hand can do whatever it wants.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Reply 137 of 152
    The Wii seems to be getting a LOT of favorable press, and there's a very good and positive vibe building around it, perhaps because its price is actually reasonable, and the controller thing is fresh and new and can appeal to the mainstream, not just hardcore 'gamerz'.

Don't be suprised if the Wii isn't the sleeper hit of the holiday season. I'm shocked to say it, but Nintendo's unorthodox approach looks like its actually paying off. 8)

• Reply 138 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins

The Wii seems to be getting a LOT of favorable press, and there's a very good and positive vibe building around it, perhaps because its price is actually reasonable, and the controller thing is fresh and new and can appeal to the mainstream, not just hardcore 'gamerz'.

Don't be suprised if the Wii isn't the sleeper hit of the holiday season. I'm shocked to say it, but Nintendo's unorthodox approach looks like its actually paying off. 8)

I completely agree. The Wii looks great, and I'm thrilled that they actually took a risk with the gameplay. I hope it pays off for them bigtime.
  • Reply 139 of 152
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I for one am wondering WTF "the social" is all about. I have a vague idea, I'm pretty clued-in on things American. However, warning to Microsoft: IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE TO ANY OTHER COUNTRY, English-speaking or otherwise. Just a warning when they bring Zune around the globe.

It sounds like they are putting off the world-wide Zune release, what was it, 2008? Something about not selling the device in a given region until they have the store ready for that region. It should be plenty of time for them to redo their marketing. If they are going to give away the lead for yet another year or two, who am I to complain?
  • Reply 140 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

It sounds like they are putting off the world-wide Zune release, what was it, 2008? Something about not selling the device in a given region until they have the store ready for that region. It should be plenty of time for them to redo their marketing. If they are going to give away the lead for yet another year or two, who am I to complain?

Sure, why not, M$ will throw another few billion dollars in 2008 to carve out a sliver of the mp3 player/ iPhone market globally ...The Zune, p*wned before it even started. But maybe they said that about the Xbox