Zune incompatible with Windows Vista

Comments

• Reply 121 of 199
    shut up continentals or i'll squirt you oriental chicken noodles.

okay this is getting old. moving on to another thread. zune is not compatible with vista. big deal. hmm makes sense. vista isn't officially out. i am pretty sure microsoft will release some update the day after vista comes out. everyone (still) has ipods anyway.
  • Reply 122 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Because a country like, say the United States, has a finite area. There's clearly an East Coast and a West Coast.

The globe, as you may have heard, is round. China isn't on the "Eastern" part of the world, it's to the east of Europe.

True, the earth is round. But there are internationally agreed-upon demarcation points such as the International Date Line and the Prime Meridian. Everything east of the Prime Meridian and west of the International Date Line can technically and properly be described as Oriental. Everything west of the Prime Meridian and east of the International Date Line can technically and properly be described as Occidental.

Similarly, everything north of the Equator is described as Boreal (as in aurora borealis), and everything south of the equator can be described as Austral. Hence, Austral-ia.

If there is any negative connotation to any of these terms, blame it on Latin and the Romans for trying to describe their world.

(I'm not ambidextrous, but people tell me that when I dance I have two left feet. Does that make me ambisinistrous?)
  • Reply 123 of 199
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

zune is not compatible with vista. big deal. hmm makes sense. vista isn't officially out. i am pretty sure microsoft will release some update the day after vista comes out. everyone (still) has ipods anyway.

Does iTunes run on Vista?
  • Reply 124 of 199
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

It pretty much meant the same thing in both contexts, transmitting data over wireless links, so I don't think it is coining a phrase. It's more like borrowing at best, it's not inventing one.

ok fine.. you win.
  • Reply 125 of 199
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Does iTunes run on Vista?

Yes, just fine, though I haven't tried much. Specifically, very unsure abut burning, since that uses a third-party driver.
  • Reply 126 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbh0001

True, the earth is round. But there are internationally agreed-upon demarcation points such as the International Date Line and the Prime Meridian. Everything east of the Prime Meridian and west of the International Date Line can technically and properly be described as Oriental. Everything west of the Prime Meridian and east of the International Date Line can technically and properly be described as Occidental.

Similarly, everything north of the Equator is described as Boreal (as in aurora borealis), and everything south of the equator can be described as Austral. Hence, Austral-ia.

If there is any negative connotation to any of these terms, blame it on Latin and the Romans for trying to describe their world.

(I'm not ambidextrous, but people tell me that when I dance I have two left feet. Does that make me ambisinistrous?)

I always thought the whole "oriental/occidental", east/west thing was not so much Euro-centric as Eurasia-centric. "The orient" is the eastern part of Eurasia, "the West", Europe, is the western part. I see no attempts in that to make Europe the center of the world, but to describe the geographical world of civilizations as the majority of human beings (who, after all, live in Eurasia) would have understood it for most of history. To an educated Eurasian, until the late middle ages, Europe, Asia and only the northernmost part of Africa, were pretty much all that existed; the world was a large island and various civilizations occupied different parts of it. Yes, there were other parts of the world with other civilizations, but they were outliers, unknown to the wider world until modern times. But the Romans were at least vaguely aware of the Chinese, and the Chinese had some inkling that there were civilizations to the far west. For most of history even an educated Chinese would have had to conclude that their country was situated on the eastern part of "the world" (I always took "middle kingdom" to be an appraisal of their own political significance vis a vis neighboring countries, not a literal, geographic description).

I don't say oriental, generally (if I'm talking about race I use "East Asian" -- I personally find "Asian", by itself, offensive to the intellect -- they can't claim the whole continent like that!), though I cannot fathom why it would be considered offensive. People keep saying it's "historically derogatory", but how? Does anyone have any concrete examples? I'm thinkin' that other poster's theory is right. The idea of it being offensive is just something somebody made up on some campus in the 70s, and it spread..
  • Reply 127 of 199
    Caption this...

I must not think bad thoughts...

• Reply 128 of 199
    Squirt me a picture of Balmer again and I'll squirt you a picture of my decomposed dead dog.
  • Reply 129 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman

Caption this...

Maybe she's the lady that made Balmer very very happy doing that before his famous dance monkey speech/dance??
  • Reply 130 of 199
    Quote:

hmm okay i'll say this. the zune ads aren't that bad. the phrases are a little weird (welcome to the social, hello from seattle) but i kinda get it. i think.

now squirting... that just ruins it.

but the ads are fine with me.
  • Reply 131 of 199
    Looks like "Girls Gone Wild"
  • Reply 132 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Some don't care that much. Some African Americans don't like being called Black either.

Where do you get that from? I've never seen a black guy take offense at being called black!
  • Reply 133 of 199
    Quote:

Caption this...

In my opinion as a designer I think having wel-

come hypehnated was a bad move.
  • Reply 134 of 199
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

In my opinion as a designer I think having wel-

come hypehnated was a bad move.

Agreed.

Perhaps the designers were thinking:

"Well,

c*m to

the social"

Perverted bastards.
  • Reply 135 of 199
    Quote:

Where do you get that from? I've never seen a black guy take offense at being called black!

Yeah.. I really don't get this..

Maybe I should start getting my panties in a tuff when people comment that I'm pale. (I'm a very light skinned redhead, I can't tan if my life depended on it-- grew up in Florida, so f-tanning!)
  • Reply 136 of 199
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Hyper sensitive people suck.

That means you.
  • Reply 137 of 199
    wtf people are still talking about the oriental crap? let it go, its just not important. especially seeing as it isnt even at the top of the list of articles AI has posted. I cant wait till this thread dies in a few days after more in unvelied about the iPhone
  • Reply 138 of 199
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

I had no idea it was offensive either.

You might want to get out more.
  • Reply 139 of 199
    Quote:

Umm.. I believe they called it Native American Tribal Religions or something like that. It was a mish mosh of beliefs.

Umm...It sounds like you didn't study very much either. The day I look to AI folks for religious instruction is the day I look to the Enron executives to tell me how to write energy legislation. They may be great at it, but it ain't their job, and so their aren't accountable.

Here's an okay first step for those who want to learn more, but spirituality tends to lose its most important dimensions when adapted to webpages: http://www.native-languages.org/religion.htm

In case you didn't get it - "mish mosh" is a pretty dumb thing to say.
  • Reply 140 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth

It has nothing to do with 'political correctness', it has to do with respect. Understand, honky?

Amen. Those who just blame everything on pc'ness, are too lazy to change.