Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 221 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

uhh the xbox 360 launched in all 3 territories and had limited supply for a long time so it really isn't a straight comparison of demand (kicking ass on either side). the 700k isn't even a definite. also its of importance to realize the ps3 is sitting on floors right now either because their supply is meeting demand or people are just lacking interest. your theory on why consoles may be available is pretty comical to be honest.

anyways, the importance really isn't about launch figures because if the 360 had a million units to sell to the NA market on launch they would have sold all of it. if sony is starting to meet demand at close to a million units right after launch (assuming this is what is going on) then thats a problem.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/06/ps...uy-com-still/- SDW what more do you want from me? u want me to get a best buy representative to give you a ringa ding ding?

I was in Wal-Mart and Circuit City yesterday, and there were no unbundled PS3s. Wal-Mart had even sold out of controllers. CC had a few controllers. Games were well stocked.

Even if you can show Best Buy has them and you can see a few units here and there, that doesn't mean it's "sitting around." Supply is extremely limited, which is my only point.
  • Reply 222 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liquidjin View Post

I'll check it out. Blackhawk Down was praised by the Blu-ray guys at avsforum.com as being a top tier PQ title so I chose that one to do the comparison.

On a side note, when I got my PS3 I couldn't wait for Netflix to get the Blu-rays to my house so I went to Blockbuster and rented one of their titles. They tried to get me to sign up for their online stuff but I didn't want to waste time. Does anyone on this forum use Blockbuster's online service? I've noticed that it is cheaper than Netflix and in my case would be more convenient since my wife prefers to select stuff in a store and it's right up the street. Can anyone that uses it or knows someone that uses it offer a comparison to Netflix?

I have Blockbuster's online service, and I've got to say I've been quite pleased with it. I've got the $14.99/mo deal where you are able to rent two movies from the online service at a time and as soon as you turn them in, you can get a new two at unlimited intervals depending how soon you can watch them. What's more even appealing now to me is the fact that you can now turn in your movies that have been sent to you in the mail to your local Blockbuster store, and you can exchange them for any movie in the store and they'll send the mail movies back for you (so essentially, you have movies to watch as your queue is cleared and new movies are sent to you). You also get a free movie rental coupon a month, and other specials available to you, like $5.99 previously viewed movies, if you don't mind used discs.

Anyhow, just a brief description. Lata.
  • Reply 223 of 4650
    Disney Releasing Large Slate of Blu-ray for 07...

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Quote:

More high-def announcements are breaking today in advance of CES, and we've got another one for you now. Buena Vista Home Entertainment has just officially informed us that they're announcing a large slate of 2007 catalog Blu-ray Disc releases at the convention in Las Vegas next week. These titles will begin streeting in North America, Europe and Asia in March, many of them as 50GB releases ("enabling the highest caliber encodes, expanded bonus material and exciting new interactive features" according to the studio's forthcoming press release).

In North America, BVHE's 2007 Blu-ray catalog releases will include Chicken Little (3/20), the King Arthur: Director's Cut and G.I. Jane (both 4/3), Con Air, Crimson Tide and The Rock (all 6/8), Disney and Pixar's Cars, The Recruit and Open Range (Summer), Remember the Titans (Fall), and Finding Neverland (TBA). BVHE has also just officially announced Ladder 49 and Reign of Fire for release in North America on 2/13, with The Prestige following on 2/20. We'll have more details on those three in a moment.

In Europe, they'll release Eight Below, Chicken Little, Enemy of the State, Flightplan, Gone in Sixty Seconds, The Guardian, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Pearl Harbor, Scary Movie 4, Sky High, Finding Neverland and The Wild (all in March), followed by Dinosaur and the King Arthur: Director's Cut (in April), Bruce Almighty, Con Air, Crimson Tide, The Rock and Cars (in June), and Air Force One, Reign of Fire and Wild Hogs (in Summer).

BVHE's Asia Blu-ray slate will include Face/Off (in March), Chicken Little and The Wild (in April), Scary Movie 4 (in May), The Guardian (in June), and Cars, Con Air, Crimson Tide, The Rock, the King Arthur: Director's Cut, Air Force One and Starship Troopers (Summer).

Additional catalog Blu-ray title announcements will follow in the weeks ahead. This is in addition to a number of new-release Blu-ray announcements that are expected to happen throughout 2007. Says BVWHE president Bob Chapek: "Blu-ray is the strongest high definition format on the market and we are very pleased to add this amazing slate of Blu-ray releases that will appeal to our core demographic. With the dual-layer, 50GB discs now becoming standard, the possibilities for exciting new interactive features and additional bonus content are endless."

Okay, back to those February Blu-ray titles from BVHE. Ladder 49 (2/13) will feature the original DVD extras, including The Making of Ladder 49 and Everyday Heroes featurettes, deleted scenes, audio commentary by director Jay Russell and Robbie Robertson's Shine Your Light music video, along with a Blu-ray exclusive Movie Showcase. Reign of Fire (also 2/13) will include the Breathing Life into the Terror: The Making of the Dragons and Below the Line: If You Can't Stand the Heat featurettes, a conversation with director Rob Bowman, the original theatrical trailer and a Blu-ray exclusive Movie Showcase. The Prestige (2/20) will be a 50GB release including The Director's Notebook: The Cinematic Sleight of Hand of Christopher Nolan documentary, The Art of the Prestige production gallery (featuring costumes, scenery and set design images), and another Blu-ray exclusive Movie Showcase.

Ohhhh, Cars ought rake in the dough!
  • Reply 224 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

I have Blockbuster's online service, and I've got to say I've been quite pleased with it. I've got the $14.99/mo deal where you are able to rent two movies from the online service at a time and as soon as you turn them in, you can get a new two at unlimited intervals depending how soon you can watch them. What's more even appealing now to me is the fact that you can now turn in your movies that have been sent to you in the mail to your local Blockbuster store, and you can exchange them for any movie in the store and they'll send the mail movies back for you (so essentially, you have movies to watch as your queue is cleared and new movies are sent to you). You also get a free movie rental coupon a month, and other specials available to you, like $5.99 previously viewed movies, if you don't mind used discs.

Anyhow, just a brief description. Lata.

I have netflicks, and I was wondering a few things about the BB service. How long does it take for movies to arrive once they are sent, and how long does it take from your mailbox to your online que page knows they have them back?
  • Reply 225 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well my set accepted 1080p. My report is mixed though.

I tried Madden and I must say, it looks incredible. I'm going to try Resistance today.

I also watched the BRD of Talledega Nights. I was less than pleased. The film had a grainy look, which I don't really understand. Have you seen this before, and if so, what is the issue? I'm connected via HDMI, by the way. I'm not sure if the grain is on the film (could be). It wasn't present all the time, which is what makes me wonder about it. Fade in and fade out were not smooth either, which I've seen occasionally with other movie. I don't know the term for it, but it's almost like the lighting was not even...like it was blocky or pixelated.

This system is a big adjustment for me as I never even owned a PS2. More later.

Edit: I am still confused on the 1080i issue. My understanding was that my set couldn't accept 1080p. I'm still missing something....

This Ars Technica article might help, Head start: the Xbox 360 and the next generation.

It has to do with upscaling (or downscaling as the case may be), I believe this is similar to the way DVD is upscaled to HD. Xbox uses Ana (supposedly the next version would be named Hana (so says the rumor mill)) a HW upscaler, while the PS3 must use SW. Right now if your HDTV doesn't support 720p (older sets) than the PS3 downconverts to 480p (someone correct me if I'm wrong), conversely if your HDTV supports 720p than of course you can watch at that screen resolution, and (supposedly) watching a 720p on a HDTV at 1080i/1080p looks better on the Xbox due to the Ana HW upscaling (and similarly for DVD's viewed on the Xbox since they are upscaled to HD while on the PS3 will be viewed at 480p (I believe, but again someone correct me if I'm wrong)).

Make sure you have the latest PS3 firmware (v1.32), although I don't think it addresses all the scaling issues at present (and it may well never).

• Reply 226 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well my set accepted 1080p. My report is mixed though.

I tried Madden and I must say, it looks incredible. I'm going to try Resistance today.

I also watched the BRD of Talledega Nights. I was less than pleased. The film had a grainy look, which I don't really understand. Have you seen this before, and if so, what is the issue? I'm connected via HDMI, by the way. I'm not sure if the grain is on the film (could be). It wasn't present all the time, which is what makes me wonder about it. Fade in and fade out were not smooth either, which I've seen occasionally with other movie. I don't know the term for it, but it's almost like the lighting was not even...like it was blocky or pixelated.

This system is a big adjustment for me as I never even owned a PS2. More later.

Edit: I am still confused on the 1080i issue. My understanding was that my set couldn't accept 1080p. I'm still missing something....

Hm... maybe you got a 1080p set?... I doubt it, because smallest 1080p PDP was 50" Pinoneer Elite. It's strange becasue even some early 1080p LCD's from sharp didn't accept 1080p input and if yours can, it definitely a mistry. Are you sure your PS3 is outputing 1080p or 1080i? Most times, you can look into the display info setting and observe data input. What's is your display model#?

Eitherway, the PQ with Talledega Nights is normal. It's a Sony product BD movie and all Sony's releases were similar to SD quality, even the 50GB dual layer releases. I have a BD version of The Fifth Element, which is one of the worst PQ BD movies known to man. It's almost like the Superbit verion of SD-DVD.
  • Reply 227 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I have netflicks, and I was wondering a few things about the BB service. How long does it take for movies to arrive once they are sent, and how long does it take from your mailbox to your online que page knows they have them back?

What's cool is that if you turn them into the store, they scan the movies and your online mailbox/queue is updated and the next movies in your queue are sent. From what I've seen it only takes a couple of hours for the info to be updated online.

Once the movies are sent, it usually takes like two to three days to get to you, but at least you have the movies that you picked up in the store to tide you over.
  • Reply 228 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Hm... maybe you got a 1080p set?... I doubt it, because smallest 1080p PDP was 50" Pinoneer Elite. It's strange becasue even some early 1080p LCD's from sharp didn't accept 1080p input and if yours can, it definitely a mistry. Are you sure your PS3 is outputing 1080p or 1080i? Most times, you can look into the display info setting and observe data input. What's is your display model#?

Eitherway, the PQ with Talledega Nights is normal. It's a Sony product BD movie and all Sony's releases were similar to SD quality, even the 50GB dual layer releases. I have a BD version of The Fifth Element, which is one of the worst PQ BD movies known to man. It's almost like the Superbit verion of SD-DVD.

Callin bull-sh%$ on this one. Notice that most of the movies ol bitemymac quotes to you are ones in the initial launch of movies? Stuck in his time warp.

Actually, besides Talledega Nights, Sony has many quality (4 stars and above) BD releases in Black Hawk Down (50 GB), All King's Men, Click (50 GB), Monster House, Tears of the Sun, and it's most recent release which recently got a perfect 5 star rating called the Covenant.

Sorry, bitemymac, you're spewin crap again.
  • Reply 229 of 4650
    The Blu-ray onslaught at CES 2007 begins...

http://www.samsung.com/common/micros...2007_ce11.html

Quote:

LAS VEGAS - January 8, 2007 - Samsung Electronics, a market leader in consumer electronics, today unveiled its second-generation Blu-ray player for the home entertainment industry. Samsung expects that the BD-P1200 player will help the company stay a step ahead of the cutting-edge optical media industry, after introducing the first Blu-ray DiscTM (BD) player (model: BD-P1000) to the U.S. market in June 2006.

With the launch of the BD-P1000 Blu-ray player, Samsung was first to offer full high-definition 1080p DVD resolution and clarity to consumers. Now, the next-generation BD-P1200 player will enhance consumers¡¯ experiences so that they can enjoy the best video and audio quality available in an HD disc player.

One of the BD-P1200 player¡¯s key new features is its Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) processor, which is a powerful unit similar to those used by Hollywood production studios. With its HQV processor, the BD-P1200 player offers true 1080i to 1080p HD de-interlacing, so it can deliver the best HD images possible ? ven from non-Blu-ray formats. The player¡¯s HDMI connection helps boost the sound quality (via 7.1-channel Dolby Digital Plus) and color. This HDMI connection also offers Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) technology, which enables a single remote control unit to operate the BD player, TV and other A/V products from Samsung. With the BD-P1200 model¡¯s HDMI connections, consumers will get superior audio/video quality, with incredible ease and convenience of use.

Samsung and some of the world¡¯s other leading electronics makers have teamed up to develop Blu-ray technology as the next-generation format for multimedia entertainment. Blu-ray discs can store five-to ten-times more data than a conventional DVD, so the viewer can watch their favorite movies and TV shows in high definition, instead of the standard definition of existing DVD formats.

Samsung has advanced Blu-ray technology through its in-house manufacturing of such core components as the player¡¯s laser pickup, deck, and chipsets. Samsung already offers a Blu-ray recorder that features the company¡¯s proprietary dual-lens pickup (one pickup with two lenses that allows backward capability, to play standard DVDs and CDs in addition to Blu-ray discs).

Coming to a Home Near You: Next-Generation BD-P1200 Disc¢â Player

Samsung brings consumers a complete home entertainment experience with the new BD-P1200. The unit will play multimedia content in a variety of different formats including 720p, 1080i and 1080p resolutions. In addition, the BD-P1200 model supports the 192KHz LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, MPEG 2, DTS and MP3 formats for complete versatility in entertainment. The ¡®Easy Top Menu¡¯ allows consumers to change the font and color of subtitles and menu titles according to their tastes, as well as the background color and menu graphics. The BD-P1200 model also has backward compatibility, making it simple to manage and play consumers¡¯ media collections.

DVD vs. Blu-ray

DVD Player BD Player

Disc capacity Single-layer: 4.7GB

Dual-layer: 8.5GB Single-layer: 25GB

Dual-layer: 50GB

Compression MPEG 2 MPEG 2/VC-1/H.264

Data transfer rate Up to 10.08 Mbps Up to 50 Mbps

Recording time SD: up to 2 hr. (4.7GB) HD: up to 2 hr. (25GB)

Max. resolution SD (720 x 480) HD (1,920 x 1080)

Output 480p, 480i 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

BD-P1200, Blu-ray Disc¢â Player

Today's high-definition televisions (HDTV) are capable of displaying a far greater amount of movie realism than a standard DVD can deliver. That's why Blu-ray Disc¢â (BD) technology was developed. Consumers will marvel at the clarity and full-color spectrum of every scene, while multi-channel sound puts users in the center of the action. The Samsung Blu-ray player gives viewers full 1080p native output and up-conversion for their current collection of DVDs to near-HD quality. This player also offers backwards compatibility to current CD playback, so consumers can prepare to take the next step in DVD technology with Samsung.

MSRP expects to be $799, so that's $200 less than the HD DVD XA2!!! So yo can expect to see this guy to sell even less than that!
  • Reply 230 of 4650
    Quote:

Callin bull-sh%$ on this one. Notice that most of the movies ol bitemymac quotes to you are ones in the initial launch of movies? Stuck in his time warp.

Actually, besides Talledega Nights, Sony has many quality (4 stars and above) BD releases in Black Hawk Down (50 GB), All King's Men, Click (50 GB), Monster House, Tears of the Sun, and it's most recent release which recently got a perfect 5 star rating called the Covenant.

Sorry, bitemymac, you're spewin crap again.

Not sure how your opinion is as credible as someone who had both, since you're just sitting on the sideline without having to see neither in the Home Theather setup. At best, all you do is quote this and that.....but most annoyingly, your posts contain fanboyism towards Sony and nothing more. So, show me the report card of Sony production movies... including BD50 ones.... average 3.5/5 stars?

Anyway, the new Samsung BD player at $799 will be killed by PS3 as it is already killing every standalone BD player sales. Also, don't forget that LG announced HD/BD universal player at $1199 and Toshiba just added another mid-line HD-DVD player HD-A20 for $599 to answer Sammy. So... $499 (HD-A2, soon to be cheaper - $299 within 6 month), and $599 HD-A20, and the high end HD-AX2 which is getting raving reviews and people call it as the best Hif-Def format player on the market which also is best SD-DVD upconverting DVD player availabe.

All in all, I hope Sammy's new BD player doesn't have the same problem it did from the 1st gen player. The underscaning and the NR setting issue was annoying. I'm glad I returned it in time for a full refund.
  • Reply 231 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Not sure how your opinion is as credible as someone who had both, since you're just sitting on the sideline without having to see neither in the Home Theather setup. At best, all you do is quote this and that.....but most annoyingly, your posts contain fanboyism towards Sony and nothing more. So, show me the report card of Sony production movies... including BD50 ones.... average 3.5/5 stars?

Ahh, it is obvious we all have to consider how your heavy monetary investment in HD DVD is effecting your crediblility as well,...notice how whether the status of your monetary investment is a two way street there?...and not really an important factor for that matter as I've seen both quite regularly as I have family and friends to show me first hand. All I see is some one simply rationalizing and throwing out blatant lies as to try and justify his purchase. Quite pathetic IMHO. The simple fact of the matter is I called you out on your lie, and it is truly a lie. Stop acting like Sony killed your first born or something, and try to be somewhat objective in your comments rather than blatantly posting FUD.

Quote:

Anyway, the new Samsung BD player at $799 will be killed by PS3 as it is already killing every standalone BD player sales. Also, don't forget that LG announced HD/BD universal player at $1199 and Toshiba just added another mid-line HD-DVD player HD-A20 for $599 to answer Sammy. So... $499 (HD-A2, soon to be cheaper - $299 within 6 month), and $599 HD-A20, and the high end HD-AX2 which is getting raving reviews and people call it as the best Hif-Def format player on the market which also is best SD-DVD upconverting DVD player availabe.

All in all, I hope Sammy's new BD player doesn't have the same problem it did from the 1st gen player. The underscaning and the NR setting issue was annoying. I'm glad I returned it in time for a full refund.

Lets not forget that, the PS3, it is confirmed, shipped 1 million consoles in the US by the end of 2006...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...jc&refer=japan

How close is HD DVD in penetration of the market as compared to Blu-ray now?...

Don't kid yourself, Sammy's not going to be killed by the PS3, HD DVD certainly will be the main reciepient of effected sales. Also, let's not forget the other major players on Blu-ray's bandwagon as well--Sharp, Pioneer, Panasonic, and Philips. We have yet to hear from them, but it ought to be interesting. Couple this with announcements like the ones we heard from Disney today, but I'm sorry to inform you my friend, HD DVDs days are looking more grim by the minute.
  • Reply 232 of 4650
    Quote:

Ahh, it is obvious we all have to consider how your heavy monetary investment in HD DVD is effecting your crediblility as well,...notice how whether the status of your monetary investment is a two way street there?...and not really an important factor for that matter as I've seen both quite regularly as I have family and friends to show me first hand. All I see is some one simply rationalizing and throwing out blatant lies as to try and justify his purchase. Quite pathetic IMHO. The simple fact of the matter is I called you out on your lie, and it is truly a lie. Stop acting like Sony killed your first born or something, and try to be somewhat objective in your comments rather than blatantly posting FUD.

Lets not forget that, the PS3, it is confirmed, shipped 1 million consoles in the US by the end of 2006...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...jc&refer=japan

How close is HD DVD in penetration of the market as compared to Blu-ray now?...

Don't kid yourself, Sammy's not going to be killed by the PS3, HD DVD certainly will be the main reciepient of effected sales. Also, let's not forget the other major players on Blu-ray's bandwagon as well--Sharp, Pioneer, Panasonic, and Philips. We have yet to hear from them, but it ought to be interesting. Couple this with announcements like the ones we heard from Disney today, but I'm sorry to inform you my friend, HD DVDs days are looking more grim by the minute.

What lies?....... If sharing a personal experience is considered lies...then be it. I guess everyone with an opinion or any disagreement with you would also be considered a lie to you, too..... right. By your definition, you must be living with lairs all around you. I'm just glad that's your problem. BTW, I have no need to justify my spending habits to anyone. I buy toys and I enjoy them when they work as they're claimed to be. I also bitch about them when a toy is just a paperware as how BD started in the HiDef format DVD's.
  • Reply 233 of 4650
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

truthfully netflicks is usually faster in sending in your movies through the mail. i have the BB service but i was about to switch it until they offered this new thing where liek Merz, said you can switch your movies in at the store right away adn they'll ship them for you.

its very convenient for me because i hate making up a list and i rather jsut go in when a movie is newly released and grab it. sometimes with BB you'll que something and u wont be able to get it for a while if its popular
  • Reply 234 of 4650
    sorry for the double post but: xbox360 will now be a DVR/TIVO like device that you can record video on, watch tv on, switch channels on,

http://on10.net/Blogs/tina/you-heard...arbon-is-real/

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/x...rface-gallery/
  • Reply 235 of 4650
    Quote:

sorry for the double post but: xbox360 will now be a DVR/TIVO like device that you can record video on, watch tv on, switch channels on,

http://on10.net/Blogs/tina/you-heard...arbon-is-real/

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/x...rface-gallery/

All I've got to say is WOW! Xbox 360 2.0 with 120GB HD, HDMI, 65nm, and iPTV. Like the first link said Apple and Sony are going to be rappin' to Nelly's Hot in Herre.

I wonder who's providing content and when it will be released, probably will be announced at CES?

• Reply 236 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

All I've got to say is WOW! Xbox 360 2.0 with 120GB HD, HDMI, 65nm, and iPTV. Like the first link said Apple and Sony are going to be rappin' to Nelly's Hot in Herre.

I wonder who's providing content and when it will be released, probably will be announced at CES?

you might want to check the CES microsoft keynote, i believe they already announced some providers
  • Reply 237 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

The Xbox will double as an MS IPTV STB as far as I can se (and in a year) and it requires that you get your tv through the internet.
  • Reply 238 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Yep, the 1080 part of 1080i or 1080p is what's really most important. As long as a 1080-line display device does half way decent de-interlacing, the difference between 1080i and 1080p is subtle at best.

Hardly true. 1080i with very dynamic pictures is arguably worse than 720p...which is why ESPN is 720p. 1080p is double the bandwidth and the difference is noticable...at the right viewing distance anyway.

Vinea
  • Reply 239 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

The Xbox will double as an MS IPTV STB as far as I can se (and in a year) and it requires that you get your tv through the internet.

Was verizon listed? Because MS really shafted Verizon on their IPTV delivery that Verizon had to run to Motorolla to fill the gap for their IPTV needs.

Meh. I'm thinking 360 for ONE game but hey if it functions as a HD DVR that would make it really worth while but 360 v2 is months away.

Vinea
  • Reply 240 of 4650
    Quote:

uhh the xbox 360 launched in all 3 territories and had limited supply for a long time so it really isn't a straight comparison of demand (kicking ass on either side). the 700k isn't even a definite. also its of importance to realize the ps3 is sitting on floors right now either because their supply is meeting demand or people are just lacking interest. your theory on why consoles may be available is pretty comical to be honest.

anyways, the importance really isn't about launch figures because if the 360 had a million units to sell to the NA market on launch they would have sold all of it. if sony is starting to meet demand at close to a million units right after launch (assuming this is what is going on) then thats a problem.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/06/ps...uy-com-still/- SDW what more do you want from me? u want me to get a best buy representative to give you a ringa ding ding?

A world-wide launch is a strategy that didn't go as planned for Microsoft. It doesn't exempt them from the numbers. And the importance really is about launch figures because "if the 360 had a million units to sell to the NA Market" then we could potentially say they outsold Sony here at launch but they didn't so we can't. For Sony to make up over 550k units after a launch in the short amount of time that they did shows that their manufacturing arm is also in a lot better shape than Microsoft's was. The 360 only sold 850,000 units through January and in February the best case scenario was 300k units supplied to the US a month. The reason you couldn't get an XBOX 360 until March had more to do with supply problems than demand. It wasn't because they were selling like hotcakes it's because they screwed over all their retailers and after the initial Christmas supply could only get out a meager 250,000 units to follow it up, all of which were already promised to preorders. After the preorders were fulfilled the XBOX 360 was also sitting on store shelves and continues to do so. That is not a telling indication of whether they are selling or not. They only hit 6 million sold through September (11 months), meanwhile Sony is planning on 6 million shipped by March(5 months). And with another launch coming in March and a release of highly anticipated games, they are on pace to pull it off.

As for the new XBOX 360, I'm thinking HD/DVD drive replacing the standard DVD drive not going to happen.