Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2981 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

You run just as much of a risk of being stuck with the wrong format discs in the future with a combo player as you do with just committing to one format. Say you buy a combo player, and start buying films in both blu-ray and HD DVD; if and when one of the formats wins, the only place you're going to be able to play your extinct format discs is in that combo player you bought. Is that combo player going to last you the lifespan of the format? Probably not. Will there be combo players for sale in 5 years if one format dies? Nope. Your Mac, your game console, and your future DVD players will all utilize whichever format wins, and you'll have discs that are of the wrong format which won't play in any of them.

Unless neither format goes away (highly unlikely), a combo player still leaves you with unplayable discs in the future.

You err when you state "the only place you'll be able to play your extinct format discs is in that combo player you bought". There's no doubt that it requires the appropriate player to playback HD DVD or Blu-ray discs. The problem with you argument is that even if one format dies there would be millions of players available through used outlets. Plus you'd probably pick the player and discs up for a song. I have no fear about formats now. We must not forget that 10 years ago eBay and Craigslist were not as prevalent. Today a person can buy and sell goods via the internet with relatively little hassle.
  • Reply 2982 of 4650
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You err when you state "the only place you'll be able to play your extinct format discs is in that combo player you bought". There's no doubt that it requires the appropriate player to playback HD DVD or Blu-ray discs. The problem with you argument is that even if one format dies there would be millions of players available through used outlets. Plus you'd probably pick the player and discs up for a song. I have no fear about formats now. We must not forget that 10 years ago eBay and Craigslist were not as prevalent. Today a person can buy and sell goods via the internet with relatively little hassle.

Obviously you could get your hands on a player for your extinct-format, but do you really want to be that guy with the Betamax collection and player in his living room?
  • Reply 2983 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Obviously you could get your hands on a player for your extinct-format, but do you really want to be that guy with the Betamax collection and player in his living room?

I have a laser Disk Player with the original Starwars, and the rest of the trilogy, with a scene that was actually cut from the movie. Never seen in theaters.

It also has some scenes that never made it to any versions of video. Like Leia welding on the millennium falcon, and a short spot with C3PO discussing some shit on the death star.

Not that I ever watch it. It's freaking collecting dust. I have three different versions of the trilogy for that thing. I got them on ebay after Dick Head said he would never release the original trilogy on DVD. I was going to Quasi-Re-Master the video and put it on disk for myself, but then guess what happened? Lucas changed his mind.

Not that any of this is relevant anymore. Just venting.
  • Reply 2984 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Give me a break guys. Yada...Yada...Yada...

Wow Marz, the anger is really shining through here. When you have to resort to calling your opponents Dumb and Dumber, you've lost it.

I know the Paramount defection hurt, but keep things in perspective. The sun will still rise regardless of which shiny plastic disc wins this thing.
  • Reply 2985 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    LOL.... not sure if this is same Michael Bay, but it's the same one that made the retarded out burst in response to Paramount HD-DVD exclusivity announcement.

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...pic.php?t=2304

Quote:

Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three blu-ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!

Michael Bay

what a comedy. But if this is for real.... I guess he wants his job back.
  • Reply 2986 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Unless neither format goes away (highly unlikely), a combo player still leaves you with unplayable discs in the future.

What makes you so confident they can't / won't co-exist??? At this point with M$ getting involved, and as someone else has pointed out by spending billions to win a fight, I don't see hd-dvd just shrivling up and dying. Innovation / technology / demand drives prices down. Even if the war is 75% blu-ray 25% hd-dvd, there is still a big enough market to justify building / purchasing the dual format players. The longer this battle continues, the higher the liklihood of both formats existing until the next big thing arrives.
  • Reply 2987 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

haha......you fanboy!....

Don't be a prick.
  • Reply 2988 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I have three different versions of the trilogy for that thing. I got them on ebay after Dick Head said he would never release the original trilogy on DVD.

It's stuff like this that makes me keep comming back here

Total agreement, he IS a dickhead.

{Ghostbusters: "dickless here" - "is that true?" - "yes this man has no dick"}
  • Reply 2989 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Play your VHS often?

Play your LD often?

Play your Cassettes often?

I think that was the point you missed murch.
  • Reply 2990 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The worst ramification of the Paramount announcement is the high likelihood that we'll have a "Blue Ray vs. HD DVD (2008)" thread now.....

That was somthing I was looking forward to, a final answer in 2008 and this discussion petering out.

I've been thinking about this on and off for the last 24 hours, and it's gonna take a LOT more than this for me to buy an HD-DVD player (which isnt fanboyism if the HD-DVDers are saying the same thing) and even more for me to pony up the extra cost for a universal player.

I'm still waiting on Universal to go neutral or BD exclusive in 2008, well after Paramounts news its not off the cards is it
  • Reply 2991 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

LOL.... not sure if this is same Michael Bay, but it's the same one that made the retarded out burst in response to Paramount HD-DVD exclusivity announcement.

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...pic.php?t=2304

what a comedy. But if this is for real.... I guess he wants his job back.

Yes, this man has no dick.
  • Reply 2992 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Wow Marz, the anger is really shining through here. When you have to resort to calling your opponents Dumb and Dumber, you've lost it.

I know the Paramount defection hurt, but keep things in perspective. The sun will still rise regardless of which shiny plastic disc wins this thing.

I did no such thing thank you very much. Read it again. I referred to your statement, not your person. You're choosing to personally injest this as if I'm attacking you personally. I did no such thing. I simply stated that you're STATEMENT reminded me of the movie dumb and dumber and then proceeded with a little humorous parody.

So, no anger whatsoever on my side. I'm just asking for HD DVD fanboys to keep this bit of good news for them in perspective--provided with Fox's recommitment, and Blu-ray's larger install base, and Blu-ray's software sales lead for the entire year. One studio is far from changing this tide. All it did was delay HD DVD's death a bit....hmmph, shame.
  • Reply 2993 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Yes, this man has no dick.

Ahahaha. LMAO.
  • Reply 2994 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    So this year has seen

Both LG and Samsung defect from the "Blu-ray exclusive" club

Paramount defect from neutrality indefinitely

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...y/article.html

Quote:

PCW: Will this exclusive period extend for a limited time, or is this an indefinite arrangement?

Bell: At this moment in time, it's an indefinite commitment. The core of this announcement comes from our experience, and what our consumers are looking for. We hope this will influence consumers' choices.

My recommendation is a move to neutrality if you love movies. I'll be there sometime next year when a BD player or PS3 can be had for under $300. HD DVD is certainly not going anywhere now. Universal and Paramount are going to lead the charge along with low cost players and they will be formidable.
  • Reply 2995 of 4650
    Watching Marz, Bite and Murch are like watching three accomplished song and dance men at work, shifting their tune and feet to make the best of every announcement.

The Paramount deal was a big one. Over on the AVS BD forum it was kind of like an ant hill that had been stirred up with a stick. I'm sure there was a lot of gloating on the HD-DVD forum. The BD forum gets a lot of trolls, before their mantra was go format neutral in hopes that their format could hang on. Now they seem confident it will and some are even predicting that a death blow to Sony has been achieved. Some people are the eternal optimist.

Regarding Paramount, someone over at AVS compiled a list of Paramount titles that goes clear back to Moses. Here a link to it so you can see what's in their catalog.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=893579

A few pages back BD and HD-DVD upcoming titles were posted. People have individual taste as to what they enjoy, but in my opinion 95% of the title are dogs, ones you couldn't pay me to watch. In fact, again based on my tastes there's only one quality title from both lists and that's Master and Commanders. But I already have that on DVD and am not interested in double dipping.

I finally order my first BD discs, The Fifth Element and Immortal Beloved. TFE is a double dip, probably the only one I'll do; it'll be interesting to compare the BD to the Superbit DVD version. I really enjoy Oldman's acting and the music in IB. This will replace an LD.

Murch recommends going neutral if you love movies. My recommendation is forget neutrallity, if it's not on the format of your choice, enjoy it on SD-DVD. I'm continually amazed and how good a well mastered DVD looks played on an upconverting DVD player.

So who's going to win the format war? I'm confident that for at least the next 5-8 years it will be the "good-enough" SD-DVD. In fact, if during that time period the HD formats achieve a 5 - 10% percent penetration I'll be amazed.

One of the problems I find this thread is that people keep making pronouncements about what's best for the J6P consumers but, seriously, I don't think anyone who posts in this thread meets the that criteria-- we're all enthusiasts in one degree or another.
  • Reply 2996 of 4650
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

One of the problems I find this thread is that people keep making pronouncements about what's best for the J6P consumers but, seriously, I don't think anyone who posts in this thread meets the that criteria-- we're all enthusiasts in one degree or another.

Yeah, that's me commenting on J6P.

But where's the problem? Are you suggesting that we should leave average consumer desires out of this conversation?

It would be a complete waste of time to speculate on the winner of this format war without considering J6P.
  • Reply 2997 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I'm continually amazed and how good a well mastered DVD looks played on an upconverting DVD player.

You know.... I hear this alot coming from Blu-Ray supporters. From my limited experience with the orgininal Blu-Ray copy of TFE, yes, I didn't see much improvements from the superbit version.

However, when I compare SD-DVD of combo to HD-DVD side, there is a night and day difference on my XA2 with REON upconverting the SD-DVD side. The SD-DVD side looks good, but no where near being HD.

I really can't agree with this for HD-DVD. Check out the Hot Fuzz..... that was a combo and you can make a easy comparison by just flipping the disc.
  • Reply 2998 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

I'm just asking for HD DVD fanboys to keep this bit of good news for them in perspective...

A call for perspective. From someone who has yet to buy the player he advocates, yet has been posting every ounce of Blu-Ray spin and PR info he can find, non-stop for two years.
  • Reply 2999 of 4650
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Aug 21 2007

Blu-ray camp fires back at latest HD DVD announcements

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-976...ml?tag=nl.e501
  • Reply 3000 of 4650
    Quote:

Regarding Paramount, someone over at AVS compiled a list of Paramount titles that goes clear back to Moses. Here a link to it so you can see what's in their catalog.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=893579

Thankyou totally and completely for that link!

I have now just ordered "Popeye" a personal little gem from 1980 (Disney I believe) I've been trying to get this for a few years and had given up trying. So, I'm VERY happy