Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3221 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    The first week unit sales figure for the "300" SD-DVD was 5.1 million. http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=2767

this alone makes any HiDef sales figures look meaningless and pointless to discuss right now. Perhaps, some of you guys are counting your chickens way too early.....

Please, do bring it up again when it's more meaningful.
  • Reply 3222 of 4650
    I fail to see how comparing SD sales vs. HD sales is anything BUT meaningless on a thread titled "Blu-ray vs. HD DVD".

You brining up SD sales will be relevant when we have the "Blu-Ray vs. DVD" thread...

Why do the HD-DVD delusionists keep changing message?

After HD-DVD's lame showing at IFA it will be fun to see how the delusional fanboy orgy on the "CEDIA - I told you so thread" turns out.
  • Reply 3223 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

The first week unit sales figure for the "300" SD-DVD was 5.1 million. http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=2767

this alone makes any HiDef sales figures look meaningless and pointless to discuss right now. Perhaps, some of you guys are counting your chickens way too early.....

And what were single title DVD sales in 1998? Then consider the impact of the format war on HD optical adoption.
  • Reply 3224 of 4650
    Quote:

5.1? REALLY?

so it was in surround - cool!
  • Reply 3225 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

And what were single title DVD sales in 1998? Then consider the impact of the format war on HD optical adoption.

that would be an interesting information if VHS tape unit sales of the same movie can also be paired up. How popular were the LD's when compared to the DVD sales in 1998?
  • Reply 3226 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

5.1? REALLY?

so it was in surround - cool!

Maybe, you'll get even more excited on the August 19th closing result.... 7.1 Million!.....

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/chart...7/20070819.php

This must mean something even more special.....
  • Reply 3227 of 4650
    Quote:

Maybe, you'll get even more excited on the August 19th closing result.... 7.1 Million!.....

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/chart...7/20070819.php

This must mean something even more special.....

Maybe like that 7.1 audio won't fit on an HD DVD disc.
  • Reply 3228 of 4650
    This one's for you HD DVD fanbrethren...

http://www.videobusiness.com/article....html?nid=2705

Quote:

...Hitting a new HD DVD hardware pricing low could be what tips on-the-fence consumers to embrace the high-def format. But many retailers, including Wal-Mart, Ultimate Electronics and Bjorn’s, say they are not committed to carrying the Venturer player, preferring instead to underscore products from bigger brand companies.

“We have no plans to have Venturer in our stores this holiday,” Wal-Mart merchandise spokeswoman Melissa O’Brien said.
    “We will continue to offer the best values on popular HD DVD and Blu-ray products from leading consumer brands like Sony, Samsung, Philips, Toshiba and RCA.”

Wow, even the retailers get it. BRANDS. Say it with me BRANDS. Again, never underestimate a good BRAND name. Hmm, price trumps all?
  • Reply 3229 of 4650
    Some graphs...(compliments of Merlins at highdefdigest.com and blu-ray.com)

• Reply 3230 of 4650
    I thought those charts were telling but

Quote:

?We have no plans to have Venturer in our stores this holiday,? Wal-Mart merchandise spokeswoman Melissa O?Brien said.

OH! ShhTINNNNNGGGGG! ouch thats gotta hurt
  • Reply 3231 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Maybe like that 7.1 audio won't fit on an HD DVD disc.

Link?..... if not another Blu-Ray fanboy's daily dose of FUD.

I don't believe there is a single HiDef released title, even including Blu-Ray titles , out there that has true 7.1 audio master.

However, I do hear that PS3 does have 7.1 audio master games...... Perhaps, your source of 7.1 audio on Blu-Ray disc is PS3 games?
  • Reply 3232 of 4650
    Quote:

Wow, even the retailers get it. BRANDS. Say it with me BRANDS. Again, never underestimate a good BRAND name. Hmm, price trumps all?

Quote:

We have no plans to have Venturer in our stores this holiday.

"this Holiday" probably referring to Labor day?....

Venturer is not expect to ship the unit until sometime in October 2007, and this holiday being Labor day would be an impossible shipping date to meet.

We'll see what happens with Walmart during "the holidays" in "the holiday season".
  • Reply 3233 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suppaibeg View Post

I fail to see how comparing SD sales vs. HD sales is anything BUT meaningless on a thread titled "Blu-ray vs. HD DVD".

You brining up SD sales will be relevant when we have the "Blu-Ray vs. DVD" thread...

Why do the HD-DVD delusionists keep changing message?

After HD-DVD's lame showing at IFA it will be fun to see how the delusional fanboy orgy on the "CEDIA - I told you so thread" turns out.

If you've been reading this thread for any length of time you'll have realized that the thread title, having to do with HD formats for computer use, bears little relationship to the discussion herein.

Because BD and HD-DVD is being marketed as a replacemnt for SD-DVD, that sales figure is very relevant.

While BD is ahead right now, nobody knows how this mess will turn out, maybe both becoming a sub-niche like SACD and MD-DAT on the audio side.

By the way, welcome to the the thread.
  • Reply 3234 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Wow, you still don't get it. Even when it's your own link.

One of the main points of the article you quoted is that the emergence of a low-end brand at $199 will put immense pressure on the medium to high end brands to lower their pricing as well.

And unless you know nothing about retail, you would expect Walmart to give that response.

Walmart deals in huge quantities at discounted prices, and it's doubtful Venturer could fill a Walmart order when the first batch is just rolling off the assembly lines. If Walmart had announced they wanted to carry the product, they would also be giving a tactical advantage to Venturer in any forthcoming negotiations. Not very Walmart-like.

And whether Walmart or Best Buy carries it right now isn't really the point.

A $199 player is out there. Other manufacturers see value in manufacturing the platform.

Nobody's declaring HD-DVD the winner over this (like Blu-Ray does every 5 minutes ) but there is no mistaking that it is good news for the HD-DVD platform.
  • Reply 3235 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

"this Holiday" probably referring to Labor day?....

Venturer is not expect to ship the unit until sometime in October 2007, and this holiday being Labor day would be an impossible shipping date to meet.

We'll see what happens with Walmart during "the holidays" in "the holiday season".

Great googly moogly! I've seen clutching at straws just to make an argument, but this takes the cake.
  • Reply 3236 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Great googly moogly! I've seen clutching at straws just to make an argument, but this takes the cake.

I'm still trying to get used to how Sony announces future plans in PR....

Remember Sony had no plans to discontinue 20GB PS3 when in reality it had already stopped manufacturing.

Also, weeks before $100 price drop on PS3 60GB, Sony announced PR claiming no plans to reduce PS3 price.

And when Blockbuster announced no plans of expanding HD-DVD availability at the retail stores, but in fact they also have not expanded with Blu-Ray only available retail stores since the PR, other than closing more stores in the states.

I'm just learning to read between the line as many PR points to false sense of direction prior to an action.

We just have to wait and see. If Walmart does not carry them, then other stores will still carry sub $200 HD-DVD player somewhere else. And the important point is that sub $200 HD-DVD player will be available during the holidays of 2007.
  • Reply 3237 of 4650
    Quote:

And the important point is that sub $200 HD-DVD player will be available during the holidays of 2007.

Which Holidays? I'm confused by your spinzz
  • Reply 3238 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Which Holidays? I'm confused by your spinzz

If you must know, write an email Venturer.

http://www.venturer.com/news-details.aspx?id=15

Please do let us know what you find out.

BTW, you can probably ask about all the HDi, Europe pricing and availability directly from Venturer.
  • Reply 3239 of 4650
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:

If you "predict" that their will be another format then where is your supporting evidence for this? or is that an idea you pulled from some dark void? but OH!! if you had supporting evidence that would constitute "Making predictions for the future from past data is just that: making predictions, not very dependable ones at that."

As I said, that prediction is about as based/unbased as any other prediction in here. Debating is all cool and nice - if there's a point in doing so. I fail to see that point at this time, talking about two standards's outlooks, while both standards still haven't even had a real chance to actually appear on the mainstream market. This thread is like reading chicken guts: a lot of voodoo and harly anything to depend on.
  • Reply 3240 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

As I said, that prediction is about as based/unbased as any other prediction in here. Debating is all cool and nice - if there's a point in doing so. I fail to see that point at this time, talking about two standards's outlooks, while both standards still haven't even had a real chance to actually appear on the mainstream market. This thread is like reading chicken guts: a lot of voodoo and harly anything to depend on.

I think you misunderstand the term "standard" neither format is "standard" YET. SD-DVD is a standard though.

There is a point, if you can't see it though, well what can I do?