Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3461 of 4650
    One thing that bears mentioning is the fact that Xbox Live users can rent HD DVD movies and have them directly downloaded to their XBox 360 console without having to buy the HD DVD player. (Remember that some consoles like the Elite already come with hi def connection cables to play the games on those tvs.) People can then get a taste of how good HD DVD looks and it just may sway more people to go and purchase copies of those movies and get the attachment which last time I checked was only around $180.
  • Reply 3462 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Please take this elsewhere. 360 games have almost no relevance to the HD format war.

I disagree. If 360 games weren't as good as they are the format war would be tipping much more towards the Blu Ray side.
  • Reply 3463 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Not really - the PS2 generation of game consoles was for gamers only, and I doubt that any serious gamers will go "Wii only" this generation. The Wii is drawing in additional new players that never bought a console before, and the PS2 is selling only to casual gamers at this point, the original market is still being split 360/PS3 (+ a Wii for everyone as an extra console).

You are grasping at straws here. "Original market" for what? Certainly not for HD programming. Or are you saying only "serious gamers" have a say in this war? If so, then you're arguing against Murch and BiteMe, who claim the consoles are only incidental and the standalone players will determine the victor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

One thing that bears mentioning is the fact that Xbox Live users can rent HD DVD movies and have them directly downloaded to their XBox 360 console without having to buy the HD DVD player. (Remember that some consoles like the Elite already come with hi def connection cables to play the games on those tvs.) People can then get a taste of how good HD DVD looks and it just may sway more people to go and purchase copies of those movies and get the attachment which last time I checked was only around $180.

Sure. I'm sure people love downloading 30GB movies. That only takes, what, 5 hours assuming you're not stuck with DSL or slower? As for the $180 attachment, sales figures prove it's not flying off the shelves. You mention the Elite. Yeah, it's such a bargain to buy a $459 console (only the Elite has the HDMI required for 1080p) then add a $180 attachment, rather than buying a $499 console with a built-in HD drive.

Quote:

I disagree. If 360 games weren't as good as they are the format war would be tipping much more towards the Blu Ray side.

Keep telling yourself that. An awful lot of PS3 owners at AVS say they've bought lots of Blu-ray movies but much fewer games, putting the lie to "games are most important."
  • Reply 3464 of 4650
    Quote:

Sure. I'm sure people love downloading 30GB movies. That only takes, what, 5 hours assuming you're not stuck with DSL or slower? As for the $180 attachment, sales figures prove it's not flying off the shelves. You mention the Elite. Yeah, it's such a bargain to buy a $459 console (only the Elite has the HDMI required for 1080p) then add a $180 attachment, rather than buying a $499 console with a built-in HD drive.

I have never downloaded a movie on XBox Live so I cannot comment on that. I DO know that people do it because when I log on I can see what my friends are doing and it states when they watch one. But how difficult is it to leave something downloading while you go to work? Bit torrent users do it all the time.

And I never said that people are buying the XBox 360 just for HD DVD. I already said that people are buying it for games. I am pointing out that once you have the system, it's not a huge investment. And by the way, I think that's another reason why PS3 sales are lagging behind Xbox 360 sales: the initial investment is much less.

Quote:

Keep telling yourself that. An awful lot of PS3 owners at AVS say they've bought lots of Blu-ray movies but much fewer games, putting the lie to "games are most important."

Never said that gamers are most important. Just that they are an important factor. And it's foolish of anyone not to see that. When the format wars are in such a state that no clear winner has been named, ALL factors are important.

I am not surprised that most PS3 owners are buying it more for the Blu- Ray than the games. It is a good price for a Bu-Ray player. But the fact that PS3 sales have not surpassed Xbox 360 sales shows that that is not enough right now to make a decisive difference in the format war.

EDIT:

Forgot to correct this info. The Elite is NOT the only model that can use HDMI. The cable can be purchased for $49 to use with the ANY Xbox 360. The lowest priced Xbox 360 Core model goes for $279. So you can really get the HD DVD up and running for about $500 as well after purchasing the player and cable. Also the cable now comes bundled with the standard harddrive Xbox 360. The reason people are buying Elite is the much larger hard drive. 120gb vs the standard 20gb.

Quote:

...You mention the Elite. Yeah, it's such a bargain to buy a $459 console (only the Elite has the HDMI required for 1080p) then add a $180 attachment, rather than buying a $499 console with a built-in HD drive.

• Reply 3465 of 4650
    Quote:

I am not surprised that most PS3 owners are buying it more for the Blu- Ray than the games. It is a good price for a Bu-Ray player. But the fact that PS3 sales have not surpassed Xbox 360 sales shows that that is not enough right now to make a decisive difference in the format war.

Many do buy PS3 over the other Standalone Blu-Ray players, especially from many Blu-Ray or Neutral supporters at AVS. However, such purchase in number among AV enthusiasts will no way come close to potential of gamers out there if PS3 were a big success. I can safely say that PS3 is the biggest hit among AV(Blu-Ray) enthusiasts, but same thing can not be said among the gamers' circle.

As I've said this before, PS3 is much better as a Blu-Ray player than a gaming console. It's the fastest and most featured blu-ray player possibly at lowest price. Can not say much about it as a gaming console....other than the featured specs..... but no games to flex it's muscle?.... The auto enthusiasts would call this... "All Show, No Go!"

As much as PS3 playing a biggest role as a blu-ray player, many xbox360 owners have bought HD-DVD add-on as a cheaper solution to HDM and the numbers representing HD-DVD add-on owners would come around the ball park of the PS3 being used as blu-ray players. Hence, Xbox360 still plays a role as HD-DVD player, but such attach rate would decrease with availability of lower priced standalone HD-DVD players in the future. Perhaps, this will be more evident once sub $200 HD-DVD players become available during this holiday season. Some rumors indicate BB & Walmart carrying it's own brand of such cheaper players during the holidays. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Reply 3466 of 4650
    wow.... haven't been here since it was only 17 pages long or so.... haha

...its now 87 pages with 3700+ comments

So heres my $0.02

PS3= Best Blu-ray player(Unless you're like me with a HDMI pass thru receiver and needed to buy the Panasonic for the 7.1 ch analog outs that NO OTHER Blu-ray player has in order to get 7.1ch PCM sound). If I had to guess I'd say 80% of people who own PS3's use them 75%+ of the time for blu-rays rather than games.

XBOX360= Game graphics are best and I have links to prove it.(PS3 vs XBOX360 vs Wii).

XBOX360 HD DVD add-on= is a great way to save money and enter into the HD movie era, but its only entry level as the add-on is only capable of 1080i, or so I've heard.

Wii= Old technology, just a fad with the kids.

HD VMD= Is like laser disc perhaps "Blow and Go". Or possibly it will be something that many people will like to spend only $200 just in case it goes south. Also this format will be highly attractive for those uneducated people that bought 720p/1080i tv's, or those who bought the vizio 1080P's to save money and can't afford a $400-2000 HD player.
  • Reply 3467 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

As much as PS3 playing a biggest role as a blu-ray player, many xbox360 owners have bought HD-DVD add-on as a cheaper solution to HDM and the numbers representing HD-DVD add-on owners would come around the ball park of the PS3 being used as blu-ray players. Hence, Xbox360 still plays a role as HD-DVD player, but such attach rate would decrease with availability of lower priced standalone HD-DVD players in the future. Perhaps, this will be more evident once sub $200 HD-DVD players become available during this holiday season. Some rumors indicate BB & Walmart carrying it's own brand of such cheaper players during the holidays. We'll just have to wait and see.

If this were the case--that 360 add-on owners would come around the ball park of the PS3--well, then Blu-ray has a much, much better attach rate than HD DVD considering they've outsold them in disc purchases for the entire year at a 2/3:1 clip.
  • Reply 3468 of 4650
    Target Doubles Shelf Space for Blu-ray; HD DVD Levels Unchanged

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news..._Unchanged/968

Quote:

The nation's second largest retailer has quietly doubled its shelf space for Blu-ray, while retaining previous levels for HD DVD.

According to an article published today by Video Business, industry sources began noting the change over the last several weeks.

Although the retailer had previously stocked an equal number of HD DVD and Blu-ray discs, spotchecks at several Southern California stores (and one in Philadelphia) indicated that while the Blu-ray sections had at least doubled in size, the HD DVD sections remained the same.

As we've previously reported, back in July it was announced that Target and Sony had signed an agreement that will bring Sony's BDP-S300 Blu-ray player to Target stores nationwide for the holiday season, with Sony reportedly paying a fee for aisle displays featuring both the players and Blu-ray discs.

At the time, the retailer emphasized that it has not chosen sides in the high-def format war, and would continue to carry software on both formats.

Target had no comment in response to today's Video Business story, but BDA chairman Andy Parsons trumpted the move.

You?re going to get a clear message when you see more Blu-ray than HD DVD, and you?re going to think something is up," said Parsons. "The message to the consumer is that one of these [formats] is dominating. You?ll go with the masses and pick titles from the one that is likely to win."

For their part, HD DVD supporters minimized the impact of Target's decision, attributing it to Blu-ray's current sales lead.

"For a retailer to make a decision on shelving, it?s a very flexible decision," Alan Bell, CTO at Paramount Pictures told Video Business. "Retail might be shifting inventory around, but at some point, there could be diminishing returns."

• Reply 3469 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

HD movies downloaded from Xbox Live has nothing to do with HD DVD which is a disc format. The movies aren't even in the same resolution.
  • Reply 3470 of 4650
    Quote:

What a total amount of BALLS

xbox live users do NOT download HD-DVD movies, they download HiDef movies YES but not HD-DVD movies, get your facts right other wise its just FUD.

the codecs used on HD-DVD AND Blu-ray can be both the same and most times ARE. so how is seeing a Hi-Def movie going to presuppose you towards any particular format?
  • Reply 3471 of 4650
    Anecdotal story (which I know means nothing on its own)

I was recently in HMV and the two formats were beside eachother, with BD having twice the shelf space. I also noted that the leaset expensive discs were BD and at the more costly end of things the cheaper discs were still BD.

So much for the cost advantage of HD-DVD, guess that one didn't play out
  • Reply 3472 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

What a total amount of BALLS

xbox live users do NOT download HD-DVD movies, they download HiDef movies YES but not HD-DVD movies, get your facts right other wise its just FUD.

the codecs used on HD-DVD AND Blu-ray can be both the same and most times ARE. so how is seeing a Hi-Def movie going to presuppose you towards any particular format?

Actually that would be ovaries as I am female. lol

What I am saying is that Xbox Live is allowing members to download movies that are available for purchase in HD DVD format for rentals. I'm sorry if I was not clear enough. Now, how hard is it to imagine that if a person who owns an Xbox 360 that has never seen his or her fave movie in a hi def format would go ahead and rent it to see the difference. And how hard is it to imagine that if they enjoyed the experience very much that they would perhaps consider purchasing that $180 attachment player? Can you not see how said individual would then consider purchasing a hard copy version of what they just saw a bit more than if they did not rent it and see the difference?
  • Reply 3473 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Target Doubles Shelf Space for Blu-ray; HD DVD Levels Unchanged

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news..._Unchanged/968

Marz, how come you're not asking how much Sony bribed Target to do this?

Oh, right...sorry...it's only bribery when Toshiba does it. When Sony does it, it's just business.
  • Reply 3474 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Oh, right...sorry...it's only bribery when Toshiba does it. When Sony does it, it's just business.

Gee I wonder is that like people calling Blu-ray a Sony format, when actually its Toshibas proprietary HD-DVD format that only has one hardware manufacturer ie Toshiba.
  • Reply 3475 of 4650
    Quote:

Actually that would be ovaries as I am female. lol

What I am saying is that Xbox Live is allowing members to download movies that are available for purchase in HD DVD format for rentals. I'm sorry if I was not clear enough. Now, how hard is it to imagine that if a person who owns an Xbox 360 that has never seen his or her fave movie in a hi def format would go ahead and rent it to see the difference. And how hard is it to imagine that if they enjoyed the experience very much that they would perhaps consider purchasing that $180 attachment player? Can you not see how said individual would then consider purchasing a hard copy version of what they just saw a bit more than if they did not rent it and see the difference?

With that attitude they are also likely, if not MORE likely to just go out and buy the DVD, they already have a player without spending ANY extra cash on a drive.
  • Reply 3476 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Quote:

Gee I wonder is that like people calling Blu-ray a Sony format, when actually its Toshibas proprietary HD-DVD format that only has one hardware manufacturer ie Toshiba.

Trying to change the channel eh? Uncomfortable with the question?
  • Reply 3477 of 4650
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

You are grasping at straws here. "Original market" for what? Certainly not for HD programming. Or are you saying only "serious gamers" have a say in this war? If so, then you're arguing against Murch and BiteMe, who claim the consoles are only incidental and the standalone players will determine the victor.

I don't think that you are reading my posts or something, you don't seem to get what I am saying. Here is the logical progression:

1. The last gen gamer market has been expanded by the Wii. The new gamer market is Z (total) = X (old gamers) + Y (new gamers).

2. X is evenly split between PS3 and Xbox, with most of X also buying a Wii. The only reason that it looks like the 360 is winning is that they started selling consoles earlier, the two consoles sell about the same number per month, so they will end up splitting the X market in half approximately unless some change in sales numbers occurs.

3. Y is "Wii only"

4. Due to the PS3 having a blu-ray player, the only hope that HD-DVD had was if the PS3 died as a gaming unit, and that is not occurring, the PS3 will end up with half of X.

5. so HD-DVD is doomed, QED.
  • Reply 3478 of 4650
    Quote:

With that attitude they are also likely, if not MORE likely to just go out and buy the DVD, they already have a player without spending ANY extra cash on a drive.

Uh, no.

They would not "already have the player" since the Xbox 360 does not come with it. The HD DVD player is offered as an attachment. This has been stated in several posts.
  • Reply 3479 of 4650
    Quote:

Simple really. Sony signed an agreement for "aisle displays featuring both the players and Blu-ray discs."

Read the article. They paid money for aisle advertising. The fact that Target decided to double the shelf space for Blu-ray movies probably is most likely a direct reflection of Blu-ray discs outselling HD DVD by more than double all year. So, from a business perspective, it makes total business sense as Blu-ray is making them more money.

So in essence, there is no uncomfortable explanation necessary, just pure, unadulterated business logic minus the HD DVD fanboyism.
  • Reply 3480 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Simple really. Sony signed an agreement for "aisle displays featuring both the players and Blu-ray discs."

Read the article. They paid money for aisle advertising. The fact that Target decided to double the shelf space for Blu-ray movies probably is most likely a direct reflection of Blu-ray discs outselling HD DVD by more than double all year. So, from a business perspective, it makes total business sense as Blu-ray is making them more money.

So in essence, there is no uncomfortable explanation necessary, just pure, unadulterated business logic minus the HD DVD fanboyism.

That's not logic, it's rationalization. And not a very good one.

The idea that Target - or any other large-scale consumer retailer - would freely give up valuable shelf space to a niche product format is ridiculous. You obviously know even less about retail than you do about the disc market .

That space is likely being paid for in cash and kind, just like Toshiba's "marketing exclusives" deal with Paramount. The only difference here is that you are willing to say making such a deal "makes sense" whereas you and you ilk raised all kinds of conspiracy nonsense about the Toshiba deal. That's called blatant hypocrisy.

And seriously, you - of all people - really shouldn't be lecturing anyone on fanboyism.