Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3501 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

\

No why on earth would someone be more inclined to purchase a regular DVD rather than a HD DVD copy of a favorite movie after watching a Hi def version on XBox Live? If it's a favorite movie they probably already own it on DVD already since most people already own a DVD player.

How can you ask that..

..and then state this?

Quote:

MOST consumers are smart enough to sit this war out and not spend money on either format right now. You guys can argue all you want about what is the superior format tech wise but in the end it doesn't matter because superior technology does not guarantee winning a format war. It would be great for the consumers if that's all it took for a format to be decided, but there's more to it than that.

Step back a little
  • Reply 3502 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

What the hell are you talking about?... you're little more incoherent than usual.

Gee sorry your limited capacity to understand things is under strain.
  • Reply 3503 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

How can you ask that..

..and then state this?

Step back a little

You are trying to change the focus of the discussion...

I asked the first question because you posted that someone would be more likely to buy a regular DVD rather than the HD DVD after enjoying the experience of watching their favorite movie in hi def for the first time on XBox Live in reply to this post of mine...

Quote:

One thing that bears mentioning is the fact that Xbox Live users can rent HD DVD movies and have them directly downloaded to their XBox 360 console without having to buy the HD DVD player. (Remember that some consoles like the Elite already come with hi def connection cables to play the games on those tvs.) People can then get a taste of how good HD DVD looks and it just may sway more people to go and purchase copies of those movies and get the attachment which last time I checked was only around $180.

I stand by my statement that MOST people are sitting this format war out for now. HOWEVER my post (the one you originally replied to) was talking about the few that would choose one format over another. I mentioned that XBox Live offers Hi Def download rentals of movies that are available to purchase in HD DVD format. I said that the fact that a person who already owns an XBox 360 may be more influenced to buy the attachment HD DVD player after seeing the Hi Def version on XBox Live since it would just be $180 more. They already own the XBox 360. If that person decides to get a Hi Def player after the experience, why would they choose Blu Ray when it would cost more at that point?

And yet you stated that this would not influence an individual to choose HD DVD over Blu Ray? I still don't understand your logic. Furthermore, it would appear Microsoft would not agree with your logic either or they would not have decided to offer the Hi Def version of the movies as well as the regular ones on XBox Live. The "taste test" selling strategy is popular for a reason.
  • Reply 3504 of 4650
    Quote:

You are trying to change the focus of the discussion...

I asked the first question because you posted that someone would be more likely to buy a regular DVD rather than the HD DVD after enjoying the experience of watching their favorite movie in hi def for the first time on XBox Live in reply to this post of mine...

I stand by my statement that MOST people are sitting this format war out for now. HOWEVER my post (the one you originally replied to) was talking about the few that would choose one format over another. I mentioned that XBox Live offers Hi Def download rentals of movies that are available to purchase in HD DVD format. I said that the fact that a person who already owns an XBox 360 may be more influenced to buy the attachment HD DVD player after seeing the Hi Def version on XBox Live since it would just be $180 more. They already own the XBox 360. If that person decides to get a Hi Def player after the experience, why would they choose Blu Ray when it would cost more at that point?

And yet you stated that this would not influence an individual to choose HD DVD over Blu Ray? I still don't understand your logic. Furthermore, it would appear Microsoft would not agree with your logic either or they would not have decided to offer the Hi Def version of the movies as well as the regular ones on XBox Live. The "taste test" selling strategy is popular for a reason.

Without checking, because I really don't see the point in arguing with you.

You ORIGINALLY stated that M$ were offering HD-DVD downloads, they are not. If you want to argue semantics then there is one right there for you. you got it wrong.
  • Reply 3505 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

One of the things I'm anticipating for 4Q is the release on BD of some my of old time favorites that I only have on Criterion LDs, such as 2001, Close Encounters and Blade Runner.

So let's put aside the bickering on which format is winning, the who-cares talk about game players as game players and the debatable and slightly suspect financial data being thrown around and let's move on to something else.

I'm curious, what's the steps that studios have to go through to take an older movie that's on film and make the necessary transfers to turn it into HDM? Anyone help me out here?

Well... the common lazyman's way is to filter the noise, raise the saturation, and also apply edge enhancements. But we have title like Casablanca with restoration effort well worthy of multiple dipping.

I saw very few scenes from Untouchables that looks like someone did take a short cut. As long as the whole movie does not look like a cheap restoration job, I really don't mind.

BTW, I was meaning to ask you, how is the re-released Blu-Ray version of TFE? I thought you talked about getting a copy, am I right?

I'm very excited about the Q4 release schedules. There are many old and new titles I would like to get. I currently have Top Gun, Face Off, and Transformers pre-ordered from Amazon. Looks like Harry Potter series box set is also coming out along with many HiDef worthy titles you've already brought up. It's going to be fun Q4 for HDM fans.
  • Reply 3506 of 4650
    Bite, I thought the BD re-release of TFE looked great. On the AVS board it ranked as a solid gold, one step down from the platinum level. It's too bad Sony didn't do it right the first time, but at least they made good to all the original purchasers of the first release.

I was impressed with The Untouchables. This is one of the movies I only had on LD.

I have A Few Good Men, Kingdom of Heaven and The Prestige in the mail from Amazon.

Besides the three 4Q films I mentioned I'm also planning on buying Ratatonille, Ocean's 13, Live Free and Die Hard and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Deliverence, Master and Commander, A Room with a View, Spiderman 3, Independence Day and Pirates 3 will go in my Netflix queue.

BTW, thanks for your quick take on authoring a HDM movie.
  • Reply 3507 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Without checking, because I really don't see the point in arguing with you.

You ORIGINALLY stated that M$ were offering HD-DVD downloads, they are not. If you want to argue semantics then there is one right there for you. you got it wrong.

Okay...so we are back to that post now? After I posted this to clarify?

Quote:

What I am saying is that Xbox Live is allowing members to download movies that are available for purchase in HD DVD format for rentals. I'm sorry if I was not clear enough. Now, how hard is it to imagine that if a person who owns an Xbox 360 that has never seen his or her fave movie in a hi def format would go ahead and rent it to see the difference. And how hard is it to imagine that if they enjoyed the experience very much that they would perhaps consider purchasing that $180 attachment player? Can you not see how said individual would then consider purchasing a hard copy version of what they just saw a bit more than if they did not rent it and see the difference?

Shall we go back to the subject matter of my post to which you replied to now without the going around in circles?

Do you still truly believe that this would not influence an XBox 360 owner who decides to get a Hi Def player to lean more towards the HD DVD format over Blu Ray?
  • Reply 3508 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Shall we go back to the subject matter of my post to which you replied to now without the going around in circles?

Going in circles is the entire point of this thread. How do you think we got to 3,508 posts and 88 pages?
  • Reply 3509 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Going in circles is the entire point of this thread. How do you think we got to 3,508 posts and 88 pages?

LMAO!!
  • Reply 3510 of 4650
    Disney Chief Rips Blu-ray Defectors

Says Blu-ray victory is "forgone conclusion."

http://www.tvpredictions.com/disneyblu091807.htm

Quote:

Disney CEO Robert Iger today criticized studios that have dropped support of Blu-ray in favor of rival HD DVD.

That's according to an article by the Associated Press.

Disney, along with three other major Hollywood studios, are exclusive supporters of Blu-ray in the high-def disc format war. However, Paramount and DreamWorks last month joined Universal HD in supporting HD DVD exclusively. (Paramount previously released films on both Blu-ray and HD DVD.)

The AP reports that Iger today said Blu-ray's victory was a "forgone conclusion" and expressed disappointment that other studios had not joined the Blu-ray team.

"It's disappointing that the industry hasn't managed to be cohesive," Iger said.

The Disney chief made his remarks at a Goldman Sachs investment meeting.

News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch, whose Fox studio also exclusively backs Blu-ray, told the conference that his favored format offers the best picture.

"The public can tell the difference," Murdoch said, according to the AP.

Philippe Dauman, CEO of Viacom, which owns Paramount, responded to Iger's remarks by saying that the studio is now backing HD DVD because its players are more affordable.

The entry-level HD DVD player is $299 while the lowest-priced Blu-ray player retails for $499.

According to Variety, Dauman refused to comment on reports that Toshiba paid Paramount $100 million to switch to HD DVD.

But Iger seemed certain that the report was true.

"We haven't taken any money (to choose Blu-ray) because we think it's far and away the best business," Iger said, according to Variety.

Whoa! Let's see that again...

Quote:

"We haven't taken any money (to choose Blu-ray) because we think it's far and away the best business," Iger said, according to Variety.

Hmm, even the Mouse can see Blu-ray is "far and away the bust business." Thankfully, so do the consumers, buying mostly Blu all year long.

So much for those HD DVD boys holding out for Disney. Their allegiance is assuredly Blu.
  • Reply 3511 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Hmm. Didn't Murch, BiteMe and Frank777 all scream all along that "the BDA paid off the exclusive studios! Why else do you think they're exclusive?" So I guess now they'll be saying Iger's a liar.
  • Reply 3512 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Hmm, even the Mouse can see Blu-ray is "far and away the bust business."

Do boobs look better in Blu-ray or something?
  • Reply 3513 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

ROFL! Nice catch! Wow, how one letter changes a statement.
  • Reply 3514 of 4650
    This explains how niche HDM market is, but one way to move forward is to start offering HDM w/out paying premium from SD-DVD. It will be interesting to see how the pricing war will influence HDM purchasing decisions during the holidays.

Quote:

A new consumer study has found that 73% of respondents who owned a HDTV were satisfied with their current standard DVD player and felt no need to replace it with a high-definition player.

The report, compiled by Port Washington, N.Y.-based The NPD Group, found that 52% of HDTV owners were aware of Blu-ray and HD DVD but only 11% expressed a strong desire to buy a HD player in the next six months.

About 62% said they would wait for a price reduction before making a change, if at all.

The study, conducted June 18 to 28, included 5,500 adults, including 542 owners of high-def packaged media players.

When breaking down the data, The NPD Group found that among respondents, 29% were aware of HD DVD, compared to 20% for Blu-ray. Those who purchased Blu-ray did so because of a perceived technological advantage, while those who purchased HD DVD did so primarily based on price.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=11220
  • Reply 3515 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Disney Chief Rips Blu-ray Defectors

Says Blu-ray victory is "forgone conclusion."

http://www.tvpredictions.com/disneyblu091807.htm

Whoa! Let's see that again...

Hmm, even the Mouse can see Blu-ray is "far and away the bust business." Thankfully, so do the consumers, buying mostly Blu all year long.

So much for those HD DVD boys holding out for Disney. Their allegiance is assuredly Blu.

Iger's an ass for making such a statement. Every analyst alive on this planet says that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will most likely co-exist. He needs to go back to doing the job he was hired to do - make sure the stock price continues to rise and making sure ABC News becomes the new Fox News.
  • Reply 3516 of 4650
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Iger's an ass for making such a statement. Every analyst alive on this planet says that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will most likely co-exist. He needs to go back to doing the job he was hired to do - make sure the stock price continues to rise and making sure ABC News becomes the new Fox News.

I disagree. First of all he is correct, and second he has a reason to be pissed at his competitors taking bribes to artificially prolong the format war.
  • Reply 3517 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Every analyst alive? I don't think so. The only ones claiming coexistence I see are the ones over at ScreenDigest.

IMO, he is spot on. He's simply tellin it like it is.
  • Reply 3518 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Speaking of busts...

Debbie Loves Dallas Released for Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=519

Quote:

Vivid Entertainment has announced that the alt-adult feature 'Debbie Loves Dallas' (not to be confused with 'Debbie Does Dallas') is in stores today. More significant to the story is the fact that Vivid is releasing this title on Blu-ray and DVD with no release planned for HD DVD. This is a change in Vivid's policy which was originally format neutral.

No more Blu-ballin Blu-ray fans...
  • Reply 3519 of 4650
    Viacom Kisses Off Spielberg

http://imdb.com/news/sb/2007-09-19/

Quote:

In what appeared to some analysts to be a remarkably cavalier comment from the head of the company that had paid $1.6 billion for the DreamWorks film company in 2005, Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman said Tuesday that if Steven Spielberg decides to leave DreamWorks when his contract expires next year, "the financial impact to Paramount first and especially to Viacom overall would be completely immaterial."

Dauman's dismissive comments came as rumors spread that Spielberg, a DreamWorks cofounder, was becoming increasingly unhappy over his relationship with Paramount chief Brad Grey since the acquisition. Nevertheless, most of Paramount's successful releases since the acquisition have been DreamWorks' productions, and it was assumed within the industry that Viacom would do whatever was necessary to allay Spielberg's concerns.

On the contrary, Dauman told a Goldman Sachs conference in New York Tuesday, Paramount was already planning for Spielberg's departure. Reporting on Dauman's remarks, Daily Variety commented that they were especially "notable" given the fact that publicly Dauman "usually speaks in formal, restrained tones."

Wow, first Tom Cruise, their number one money grossing actor, and now Spielberg. Is Parawhore trying to lose money here are just simply making Graffeo-esqe prolific mistakes?

This isn't good for Paramount, no matter how you spin it. But I see a wonderful future for Spielberg on Blu-ray however...
  • Reply 3520 of 4650
    here's an interesting read about PS3 possibly turning into Sega.

http://www.hdgamenews.com/2007/09/pl...y-exiting.html

Here's a public awareness about Blu-Ray:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/features/907bdint/

This is bad time for such publicity and I think it will continue.

So, hypothetically speaking, if/when PS3 dies..... What will happen to Blu-Ray?