Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4021 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Speaking of the Wal-Mart cheapies,

What does the firmware update for the HD-A2 do? Is it worth hauling my player & TV over to the outer and connecting it to an ethernet port?

edit: Nevermind, Google is my friend. I gotta quit doing that. Carry on.
  • Reply 4022 of 4650
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Spider-Man 3 Sells 130K in Six Days on Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=655

The sales numbers tomorrow ought to be interesting.

same news spun differently:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/11/08...ts-first-week/

marz is good at spinning.
  • Reply 4023 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Well.. HD-DVD players are comprised of:

1) Standalone HD-DVD Players

2) xbox360 HD-DVD AO

3) Toshiba computers with HD-DVD drives.

So, keep counting. There will be more standalone HD-DVD player promotions coming for the holidays. Well, the HD-DVD side already demonstrated the high demand for the format with walmart specials and I think there maybe more specials coming from HD-DVD marketing group real soon.

4) Dual-format players (like LG's)
  • Reply 4024 of 4650
    Since they count for both sides don't they just sorta cancel themselves out?
  • Reply 4025 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Everyone is using 25gb blu-ray (for the most part),

now that actually IS fud
  • Reply 4026 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

now that actually IS fud

Actually only partly. I wasn't aware that they mostly moved to 50gig after march 2007 until my business partner pointed it out to me after reading my post. If you go through all the releases since blu-ray, you will notice that virtually every single 2006 release was 25gb. Once you hit the March 2007 mark, the 25gb releases start to taper off.

Use this url... if you click on the movie, it tells you on the left.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reviews.html

So, not really fud. Just wasn't aware that they finally got yields up high enough to lower the cost of the 50gb. Now it's a bit more appealing to studios.
  • Reply 4027 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

We haven't decided how our living room is going to be laid out yet. It could be anything from 6 to 18 or so feet.

oooo {breaths in through teeth like a builder} I wouldn't like to watch a 32" display at 18 feet.

I'd have to be in agreement with bite on this one (yes it can happen!) and say 40" is the minimal I would go for, although I understand where he's coming from with the 37" as there seems to be very good deals on this over looked sized screen (or is it that he likes lesser screen sizes and lesser formats J/K obviously)

but if your budget won't stretch or you don't watch much TV then 32" is a great size, I just doubt you will get th efull level of detail it is possible to get.

also bare in mind that a big 40" 50" or 70" soon "shrinks" and you get used to it really quickly.

Still who am I to talk, my next TV will be a 26 incher for the kitchen
  • Reply 4028 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

Yes you are of course correct! I should have been more clear. What I meant was that when 3 layer HD-DVD:s become the "norm" both systems have enough storage space for most, if not all, movies, that is, the storage space point is not of concern for the future.

but will they become the "norm" ?? I mean you need a provable WORKING prototype first, and they haven't even got that. basic "norm" type stuff, and they haven't got it.
  • Reply 4029 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

oooo {breaths in through teeth like a builder} I wouldn't like to watch a 32" display at 18 feet.

Well, 18' is just my guestimate of the length of the room. Happily, to a certain degree, I can tailor the layout to the TV. It really is a budget issue. I shouldn't be looking at HDTVs at all. But stupid me discovered that I can do 6 months same-as-cash on a 5 month schedule pretty easily starting next month when a couple of things get paid off. I figure I'll save the 42" plasma that I really want as a reward for a few years down the road when all the major house things my wife and I want to do are done and paid for.

I know what you mean about shrinkage. My Dad's 37" seemed positively huge when he got it last Christmas. In our smallish room I think 37 would be good, but in the line-up at Wal-Mart I didn't really notice a size difference between the two and I think 32 makes 720p less likely to be noticed by my eyes.

What would you suggest is a good viewing distance for 32"?
  • Reply 4030 of 4650
    I'm slightly tempted to get spidey 3, but then I might as well get the box set, but I think the first 2 films wernt great ARGH what am I to do?

and then I read that the box set won't count!!! it goes on single title only on the sales chart?? how messed up is that?

So transformers sold a few copys, but spidey 3 has the pack in with the PS3 discounted AND the numbers from the box set discounted and the Pro HD-DVD crowd call that a victory.
  • Reply 4031 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Well, 18' is just my guestimate of the length of the room. Happily, to a certain degree, I can tailor the layout to the TV. It really is a budget issue. I shouldn't be looking at HDTVs at all. But stupid me discovered that I can do 6 months same-as-cash on a 5 month schedule pretty easily starting next month when a couple of things get paid off. I figure I'll save the 42" plasma that I really want as a reward for a few years down the road when all the major house things my wife and I want to do are done and paid for.

I know what you mean about shrinkage. My Dad's 37" seemed positively huge when he got it last Christmas. In our smallish room I think 37 would be good, but in the line-up at Wal-Mart I didn't really notice a size difference between the two and I think 32 makes 720p less likely to be noticed by my eyes.

What would you suggest is a good viewing distance for 32"?

Here's my $ 0.02. Last year I was in the same boat. I bought a Sony 32 inch LCD because I got 12 months without interest to pay it off. For that size, I think about 5 or 6 feet would be the ideal viewing distance. I view it at 10 feet. It's still nice, but someday I'll get a much bigger screen for that room, and use the 32 inch elsewhere.

• Reply 4033 of 4650
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member

What a bizarre thing to say \
  • Reply 4034 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

That was my thought as well.
  • Reply 4035 of 4650
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I think he's smelling the coffee. When the head of Sony says something like this, I think you can rest assured that both formats will survive and no clear winner will emerge.
  • Reply 4036 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think he's smelling the coffee. When the head of Sony says something like this, I think you can rest assured that both formats will survive and no clear winner will emerge.

When Sony was playing catch up, Sony had claimed they've caught up. When Sony had caught up, Sony claimed victory. So, when Sony is claiming they're even, then this must mean they losing battle?...

So.... Does this mean Sony will manufacture combo players, too... and go neutral on HDM releases?
  • Reply 4037 of 4650
    Maybe he's just trying to lull the HDDVD camp into a false sense of security.
  • Reply 4038 of 4650
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Maybe he's just trying to lull the HDDVD camp into a false sense of security.

Yeah, Sony is about to release a $79.00 Blu Ray player with a $99.00 mail in rebate and 10 FREE Blu Ray movies.

That'll show em.
  • Reply 4039 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Yeah, Sony is about to release a $79.00 Blu Ray player with a $99.00 mail in rebate and 10 FREE Blu Ray movies.

That'll show em.

I'll definately get few of those.

I'll get them just for the BD-Drives for my HTPC's.
  • Reply 4040 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member

I'd have to see the full quote and preferably more of the surrounding interview for context. It's rather telling that Engadget provides nothing but that one word, not even a link to the quote. Tech blogs, blech.