Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4101 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Is Japan like some paradox vortex ridden place that I need to visit? First OS X outsells windows vista, then PS3 outsells wii?! Does it rain candy canes there too?

BTW: it's probably a factor that you can't buy a Wii when you want to.
  • Reply 4102 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

BTW: it's probably a factor that you can't buy a Wii when you want to.

Just maybe.
  • Reply 4103 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Now that's one seriously delusional CEO.

Nice try Marz. But for the PS3, the game is effectively over.

Sony has been completely upstaged by Nintendo and there is no scenario under which the PS3 wins over the Wii. None.

Developers can count, and the Wii's marketshare guarantees that they will take the lion share of developer focus for the next 18 months.

Sony needs to stop throwing good money after bad and begin planning their next foray into gaming. Right now, their strategy is to blithely assume that the Wii's less-than-cutting-edge tech will eventually be supplanted by the PS3, as Nintendo stops to retool with a next gen console of their own.

Given how bad a beating Nintendo has inflicted upon them, I wouldn't assume anything of the kind.

Over? The PS3 just tied sales with the 360 for that same period, and is now forecast to have sold more PS3's in total by the end of 2008 than the 360. the Playstation is still the best selling platform, and their customers are loyal ones. There are more PS2 owners than all other gaming systems combined.

BTW, I just saw a blu-Ray player on display playing at Target yesterday. It appears they made their choice. I noticed a heck of a lot of BR movies there too.
  • Reply 4104 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Maybe at your target. My target showed Zune last month... does that mean they chose Zune over iPod? Target still sells hd-dvd players at mine.
  • Reply 4105 of 4650
    Quote:

Maybe at your target. My target showed Zune last month... does that mean they chose Zune over iPod? Target still sells hd-dvd players at mine.

Looks like your late to the party. (or too early)

Target officially switched.

And then that was a false alarm.
  • Reply 4106 of 4650
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11...wii_ps3_sales/

PS3 outsells Wii in Japan.

Kinda related to the format war.
  • Reply 4107 of 4650
    Quote:

But did they still have the zune display yesterday? It appears to me that they are moving to blu-ray players but have yet to exhaust their existing stock other other format before making it official.
  • Reply 4108 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Just to be clear, by saying 'game over' I did not mean that Sony should stop selling the PS3 or that they should stop trying to pound Redmond to a pulp (that's always fun to watch.)

I simply meant that Sony's idea of making the PS3 this generation's ubiquitous home gaming system (and thus assuring Blu-Ray of an easy victory) has failed. By 2008, 22 million consumers will have voted for another console. That's not spin, it's just a reality.

Sony has a huge installed base of PS2 gamers, though lately with the PS3 Sony seems to have downgraded the importance of compatibility. Whenever the next round of systems come out, Sony will have to contend with the fact that Nintendo will have a similarly huge installed base of their own.

Sony had by far the largest installed base of gamers and still got mangled by Nintendo. The next time around, they will need to play the marketshare game far smarter than they did this time.

Whatever Sony says publicly, they would seem to agree with this assessment privately. The PS3's head honcho fell (or was pushed) on his sword, and the company has already started talking about their plans for the PS4.
  • Reply 4109 of 4650
    Upon further review of more than 10 articles. It does appear Target has gone Blu-Ray exclusive in brick and mortar stores, other than the 360 add on peripheral player. About disks I have no idea, but with BR disk sales the way they are it's not going to matter anyway.
  • Reply 4110 of 4650
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cheap-blu...186-323789.php

Blu-Ray drive (read only) for $186.
  • Reply 4111 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending November 11th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...1807/index.php

WE: BD-65% HDD-35% YTD: BD-65% HDD-35% SI: BD-61% HDD-39%

6 more weeks for HD DVD to take a week in sales...before being shut out for the entire year by Blu-ray...

Considering that the PS3s are uping in sales too, it doesn't bode well for HD DVD...especially when one considers the content in favor of Blu-ray for Q4.
  • Reply 4112 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cheap-blu...186-323789.php

Blu-Ray drive (read only) for $186.

what was the price bite said he would spend on a BD drive for his HTPC?
  • Reply 4113 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Can't say I see much reason to buy this drive. I've seen PS3s for $380 including Spider-Man 3. Throw in the 5 disc offer and the price of the machine drops to barely more than this drive. And you get a good gaming console to boot.
  • Reply 4114 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Can't say I see much reason to buy this drive. I've seen PS3s for $380 including Spider-Man 3. Throw in the 5 disc offer and the price of the machine drops to barely more than this drive. And you get a good gaming console to boot.

Where can I get one of these with that movie offer? Is it anywhere?
  • Reply 4115 of 4650
    You missed it. CompUSA just had the offer for PS3+Spidey 3 just today, but they're sold out now. The 5 movie offer applies to any dealer. I remember looking at it and thinking it'd be a good offer for me if only I was a gamer and/or really liked any of the movies on Blu-ray. The only things I've bought recently are TV show box sets, and they're only on DVD, not Blu-ray or HD DVD. Truth to tell, I don't really want to get back into gaming because I remember how addictive arcades were way back when and I don't want to spend hours a day on it anymore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Looks like your late to the party. (or too early)

Target officially switched.

And then that was a false alarm.

Quote:

Upon further review of more than 10 articles. It does appear Target has gone Blu-Ray exclusive in brick and mortar stores, other than the 360 add on peripheral player. About disks I have no idea, but with BR disk sales the way they are it's not going to matter anyway.

Er, you're a bit late. We went through the whole thing probably around page 70 of this thread.
  • Reply 4116 of 4650
    Quote:

You missed it. CompUSA just had the offer for PS3+Spidey 3 just today, but they're sold out now. The 5 movie offer applies to any dealer. I remember looking at it and thinking it'd be a good offer for me if only I was a gamer and/or really liked any of the movies on Blu-ray. The only things I've bought recently are TV show box sets, and they're only on DVD, not Blu-ray or HD DVD. Truth to tell, I don't really want to get back into gaming because I remember how addictive arcades were way back when and I don't want to spend hours a day on it anymore. *1 of 2

So is it in the PS3 box itself or something?

Quote:

Er, you're a bit late. We went through the whole thing probably around page 70 of this thread.*2 of 2

I'm in that store every day, and yesterday was the first time they had the demo sony blu-ray player on display with an HDTV on an that end cap.
  • Reply 4117 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    BTW, if I am remembering correctly, the $499 80 GB PS3 plays Blu-Ray movies, but the new $399 40 GB model does not. Beware! It's just a game console from what I read.

• Reply 4118 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

BTW, if I am remembering correctly, the $499 80 GB PS3 plays Blu-Ray movies, but the new $399 40 GB model does not. Beware! It's just a game console from what I read.

Uh, all PS3 games are on Blu-ray Discs, so of course it plays Blu-ray movies. The 40 gigger does not support PlayStation 2 games or SACD, but that's the only software support difference between it and the 80 gigger.
  • Reply 4119 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Uh, all PS3 games are on Blu-ray Discs, so of course it plays Blu-ray movies. The 40 gigger does not support PlayStation 2 games or SACD, but that's the only software support difference between it and the 80 gigger.

Ah so, now I remember! I had a reason for avoiding the $399 model. So, it was because we have a lot of PS2 games, not because of movies. So sorry for the confused posting. It might be wise to buy the $399 model and just keep the old PS2 console for those games we have.

• Reply 4120 of 4650
    Quote:

So is it in the PS3 box itself or something?

Is what in the box? If you're referring to the 5 movie rebate, try this. If not, you'll have to be more specific about what you're talking about.