Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4221 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Did I read correctly what was posted in the previous page? It says more or less that the BD vs. HD-DVD battle has any meaning only in N. America. In Europe and Japan the result seems definite. Does this means that the game is already over?

Yup, you read it right. And here's the latest confirmation of Blu-ray's domination around the globe...

Blu-ray Owns 73% of HD Market in Europe

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=701

Quote:

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has announced that they have sold the one millionth Blu-ray title in Europe. Since the format was launched, Blu-ray has gained 73% of the high definition market over its rival HD DVD. The BDA also announced that 20 million PS3 games have been shipped to Europe, all making use of Blu-ray technology.

A few days ago, the BDA also announced that Blu-ray owned 97% of the HD recorder market in Japan. High definition recorders are more popular in Japan where broadcast TV is of a much higher quality. With only 3% of the market, HD DVD recorders have failed to make any penetration into Japanese homes.

I find it interesting that a consortium like the BDA that is comprised of the majority of the industry with 170+ companies involved in the Blu-ray format appears to have the game summed up pretty much everywhere, with America being the last place where it has been dominating the least. I find it as no suprise considering Microsoft is in America essentially and why HD DVD is faring a bit better here. What I don't understand are the Microsoft apologists on this AppleInsider board touting HD DVD which is essentially Microsoft's and Toshiba's product vs. the product of the majority backed BDA.

I don't see HD DVD's position improving any more here in the States, and I honestly think Microsoft's plan to thwart the high-def market has failed. Blu-ray's numbers will continue to climb, and IMO, HD DVDs days are truly numbered, especially if Warner decides to go Blu-ray exclusive after seeing Blu-ray dominate the 4th quarter as well as the entire year of 2007.
  • Reply 4222 of 4650
    Marz, how old are you?
  • Reply 4223 of 4650
    They say there are 750,000 dedicated HD DVD players sold now, which includes set top and the xBox add-on. Blu-Ray has about 400,000-500,000 dedicated players, plus about 2 million PS3 owners; what's that statistic, than only 40% of PS3 owners realize they own a Blu-Ray player? That'd be 800,000 PS3 owners potentially buying Blu-Ray discs. So it's 750,000 HD DVD players vs. 1.3 million Blu-Ray players conceivably in use. Seems about in line with how the Nielsen/VideoScan reported disc sales shake down, although Blu-Ray's disc sales should actually outnumber HD DVD even more considering they give half of their movies away every other week.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

If you aren't sure or base your assumptions on "ONE" person then it looks like FUD.

and as to BD collections being bigger than game collections, well DUH! I watch my movie for 1.5 - 2 hrs, but I play my game for 10's of hours figure I need a new game every evening? or just go back to level 4 of Motorstorm?

this was exactly the same for the PS2 and DVDs

It just sounds like your talking outta your ass

oh yeah, and Assassins Creed on PS3 is outselling the 360 version in parts of Europe. Ca-Ching!

Relax Walter, there's nothing to be insecure about

The PS3 is only a year old; it's a very young system and naturally it's short on games for that very reason. It's also an entirely new architecture and it'll take some time before developers fully take advantage of all that horsepower under the hood. UT3 may be the first title I've seen that looks better or on par with graphics I've seen on the xBox 360, so they're getting there. When I said I only knew one person who owned a PS3, I was pointing out moreso that their user base is relatively small, and not trying to imply that everything I think about the PS3 I learned from one guy
  • Reply 4224 of 4650
    Good clarification there.

2008 will be a good year. What is it the year of though? HD? Multitouch?

Definitely PS3
  • Reply 4225 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Marz, how old are you?

My guess would be twelve, but keep in mind he's probably been held back a few grades.
  • Reply 4226 of 4650
    hahaha nice.
  • Reply 4227 of 4650
    Except I don't think he'll tell us, after that comment.
  • Reply 4228 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    "I don't see HD DVD's position improving any more here in the States, and I honestly think Microsoft's plan to thwart the high-def market has failed. Blu-ray's numbers will continue to climb, and IMO, HD DVDs days are truly numbered, especially if Warner decides to go Blu-ray exclusive after seeing Blu-ray dominate the 4th quarter as well as the entire year of 2007."

I know it's IYO, but it's not up to you, or warner. It's up to the consumer on this one. HD-DVD has sold millions of movies this year. That market isn't going to simply drop off the face of the planet. As much as you want blu-ray to win, it's going to be even more difficult if nothing big happens before Jan. You might as well start getting used to dual-format players... because in order for this generation of HD media to really take off... that is what is going to have to happen. At this point if HD-DVD falls off of the face of the earth, there is going to be a lot of upset consumers who may completely ignore this generation of HD Media entirely and stick with upconverted DVDs and possibly HD Media from iTunes in 2008??? HD-DVD has consistently sold ~ 1/3 every single week. No one is going to dismiss that. That is a 1/3 market that will keep buying... that is money to be made. I personally see the advantage of Paramount going HD-DVD exclusive. They have the opportunity to corner a market and force tons of sales that non of the blu-ray exclusive studios will get. Smart IMO.
  • Reply 4229 of 4650
    It's not entirely up to consumers. If enough studios go to one side, consumers will be forced to pick.
  • Reply 4230 of 4650
    And there are four others viewing this thread. I want posts!!!
  • Reply 4231 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

My guess would be twelve, but keep in mind he's probably been held back a few grades.

Strange, when one reads a post like this it really makes one wonder about the maturity level of the person making the post. While it's perfectly acceptable to flame a person's views in this format mess, flaming the person himself seems to be going over the line, a bit much even for this often contentious thread.

Getting back semi on topic, is New Line format neutral or is it BD exclusive? I watched Hairspray the other night, the first New Line BD I've seen, and the picture and sound were gorgeous. This bodes well if they ever release the LotR trilogy.
  • Reply 4232 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Marz, how old are you?

May I ask as to why you are inquiring? If it is for reasons for which has been displayed by Frank777's jejune statement, then I fail to see the point of such a personal inquisition as well as its relevance to the topic of this discussion.
  • Reply 4233 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Getting back semi on topic, is New Line format neutral or is it BD exclusive? I watched Hairspray the other night, the first New Line BD I've seen, and the picture and sound were gorgeous. This bodes well if they ever release the LotR trilogy.

They're supposedly neutral, and claimed HD DVD's lack of region-encoding was the reason they didn't release "Hairspray" on both formats. LotR trilogy would be a must-have in HD, and thankfully I don't own any of them on DVD yet.
  • Reply 4234 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Strange, when one reads a post like this it really makes one wonder about the maturity level of the person making the post. While it's perfectly acceptable to flame a person's views in this format mess, flaming the person himself seems to be going over the line, a bit much even for this often contentious thread.

Let's remember that this is a person who is relatively new to the forum, and doesn't even post outside of the inane HD discussions he starts. But he has no problem coming here and using the term "Microsoft Apologists" to describe some of us who have been here since before the Great Blackout.

All he does is show up here and post Sony propaganda. While many of those who prefer Blu-Ray (like Walter) have shown the capacity and willingness to engage in honest debate, Marz has not.

Large corporations like Sony have been known to pay people to try to create a buzz for their products on messageboards and to be honest, since Marz showed up I've been wondering just how many people are "working" boards like ours for Sony and Toshiba.
  • Reply 4235 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Doubtful, considering Blu-Ray players still cost an arm and a leg, and their user base is still largely just PS3 owners with no games to play. And it's no surprise Blu-Ray's numbers are double that of HD DVD, considering they give half of their movies away That is a leg up Sony has over Toshiba; as an actual movie studio, they can control the price of their own titles and offer sweet deals. I imagine HD DVD could benefit from offering a "BOGO" deal every other week, but Toshiba's not in a position to make that happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

They say there are 750,000 dedicated HD DVD players sold now, which includes set top and the xBox add-on. Blu-Ray has about 400,000-500,000 dedicated players, plus about 2 million PS3 owners; what's that statistic, than only 40% of PS3 owners realize they own a Blu-Ray player? That'd be 800,000 PS3 owners potentially buying Blu-Ray discs. So it's 750,000 HD DVD players vs. 1.3 million Blu-Ray players conceivably in use. Seems about in line with how the Nielsen/VideoScan reported disc sales shake down, although Blu-Ray's disc sales should actually outnumber HD DVD even more considering they give half of their movies away every other week.

They [Blu-ray] give half of their movies away every other week? This is news to me. As I'm aware of only three that have taken place along with 1 one day sale, and most were strategically placed--one when Transformers was released for HD DVD which was a true BOGO promotion (Circuit City also offered the same promotion for HD DVD the same week), one when Shrek was released for HD DVD which was a buy two, get one promotion and was also offered for HD DVD discs as well, a third that was sometime early on in Blu-ray's existance, and a one day sale (55% off by Fox/MGM). Hardly...hardly every other week, and half were also applicable to HD DVD as well, so what does that say about HD DVD?

In addition, the promotions above were given by Sony (the first time sometime in Blu-ray's early existance), then by Disney in October, and then by Disney, WB, Lionsgate, and Starz this month, and by Fox/MGM for the one day sale...so much for your Sony only theory (as the promotion were given by several studios) as HD DVD has positioned themselves with the same promotions, but still have been left with the short stick.

So you take a well stated number by the HD DVD group and then compare it to a "believed" number for Blu-ray standalones sold coupled with a cryptic statistic for the PS3 and we are to assume your statement has validity. Well, it doesn't go very far for me, let's just leave it at that, as I can see right through it.
  • Reply 4236 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

So you take a well stated number by the HD DVD group and then compare it to a "believed" number for Blu-ray standalones sold coupled with a cryptic statistic for the PS3 and we are to assume your statement has validity. Well, it doesn't go very far for me, let's just leave it at that, as I can see right through it.

Counting PS3s, Blu-Ray has 2.5 million players in the world ? compared to HD DVD's 750,000 ? and yet Blu-Rays disc sales are only double that of HD DVD on a regular week. Whether the 40% statistic is true or not of PS3 owners who realize they own a Blu-Ray player, only about that many are actually buying Blu-Ray discs. Either that, or HD DVD player owners have a significantly higher purchase rate for discs.
  • Reply 4237 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Large corporations like Sony have been known to pay people to try to create a buzz for their products on messageboards and to be honest, since Marz showed up I've been wondering just how many people are "working" boards like ours for Sony and Toshiba.

It doesn't help that his very next post is full of very specific facts about when and what kinds of give-aways have actually taken place on the Blu-ray side.

Marz, awhile back I participated in calling out Murch to tell us whether he was working for Toshiba or not. Now I must ask you if you are being paid directly or indirectly by any entity in the BDA.
  • Reply 4238 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

They [Blu-ray] give half of their movies away every other week? This is news to me. As I'm aware of only three that have taken place along with 1 one day sale, and most were strategically placed--one when Transformers was released for HD DVD which was a true BOGO promotion (Circuit City also offered the same promotion for HD DVD the same week), one when Shrek was released for HD DVD which was a buy two, get one promotion and was also offered for HD DVD discs as well, a third that was sometime early on in Blu-ray's existance, and a one day sale (55% off by Fox/MGM). Hardly...hardly every other week, and half were also applicable to HD DVD as well, so what does that say about HD DVD?

Actually it has been every other week lately. Fry's had a b1g1 2 weeks ago (I got the patriot and Donnie Brasco, and also picked up A Clockwork Orange). Amazon had a b1g1 2 times in the last month. I got both season's of weeds for $20 + shipping. The circuit city b1g1 for hd-dvd wasn't in all stores. You had to be lucky to find it. I called 4 of the 5 stores in Oregon (5th one is 150 miles away) and none of them had it going.

Quote:

Nothing goes very far with you, even when it's in black and white hard proof.
  • Reply 4239 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'm waiting for kenwood to make a Blu-Ray carousel player. I have a 200 disk DVD carousel by Sony, and was about to upgrade to kenwood sovereign carousel then the HD format thing came about, and I decided to stop wasting money on DVD's.

My PS3 is killer, and I'm buying Pirates 2, and 3 on BR on the 4th Baby! I have Pirates 1 coming from my 5 free movie deal. I wisjh it would have been that 10 free movie deal though.
  • Reply 4240 of 4650
    Quote:

Let's remember that this is a person who is relatively new to the forum, and doesn't even post outside of the inane HD discussions he starts. But he has no problem coming here and using the term "Microsoft Apologists" to describe some of us who have been here since before the Great Blackout.

I most certainly do post outside the HD discussions I start. Maybe not as often as you may like, but last time I checked, that's my prerogative. In addition, you only got me by two years there ol' wise man of the AppleInsider forums. So, spare me with the "relatively new" spiel, cause you aren't much older. I've been here for almost 4 years.

Quote:

All he does is show up here and post Sony propaganda. While many of those who prefer Blu-Ray (like Walter) have shown the capacity and willingness to engage in honest debate, Marz has not.

Please let me know where I haven't engaged in honest debate. Please, oh please show me. I'm venturing to say that I've been a bit too honest with the statistics and figures I've shown on these threads over the years, and you are simply running out of arguments to counter them...thus why we have personal attacks by you.

I have more than shown the capacity and willingness to engage in honest debate, as Murch and I have both bantered back and forth over the last years with point by point rebuttals, provided with facts and figures.

Quote:

Yeah, I showed up four years ago simply to spew Sony propaganda, you nailed me...<insert dripping sarcasm>...*newsflash* the BDA, as I've repeated ad nauseum is much much more than Sony, get that through your head. I'm simply motivated by the proposition of having the best technology for the end consumer in regards to high-def. IMO, that's Blu-ray.

If you've read any of my previous posts, you'd think if I was a Sony employee I'd have, at the very least, inside information before it becomes public to share with you all. Have you seen any of that from me? I didn't think so. Your accusation here is simply comedic.