Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4301 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

It's over. Look at the numbers. SD-DVD has global domination.

Obviously, but eventually there will not be an SD-DVD. BAM!
  • Reply 4302 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Perhaps... but it's not too late for HDM to go the way of Laserdisc while SD-DVD continues to be "the" format for widespread release.

The potential for that happening due to the format war slowing adoption is my biggest fear, not that I've bought the one that might lose.
  • Reply 4303 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Perhaps... but it's not too late for HDM to go the way of Laserdisc while SD-DVD continues to be "the" format for widespread release.

The potential for that happening due to the format war slowing adoption is my biggest fear, not that I've bought the one that might lose.

That is not possible for the manufacturers are the ones that decide when, and where SD-will disappear. They have too much invested in HD technology, and HD is obviously natural technological progression. SD will end within 3 to 5 years. Actually I would be surprised if in 5 years is was still around in anything other than old movies in video rental stores.
  • Reply 4304 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    The manufacturers make what people buy. The market decides when and where SD disappears. If people were still buying VHS is sufficient quantities the studios would still be releasing on it.
  • Reply 4305 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I think your time is optimistic onlooker. Converting movies to HD does take time for it to be done correctly. I'm still waiting for relatively new movies: Gangs of New York, Death To Smoochy, Fight Club, Four Rooms, Snatch, Primal Fear... IMO if this move was going to be done in 3-5 years, I would think there would at least be news on at least one of these for release dates. I think nothing pisses me off more about HD then I can't get the movies I want when I want them. On top of that... upconverted DVD looks pretty damn good in comparison... but I still want to double dip those movies... please k and thanks.
  • Reply 4306 of 4650
    Quick question, which I can't find answered, and please provide a link.

Which disc is more durable, and why?
  • Reply 4307 of 4650
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

A year from now I imagine you'll be able to purchase the Samsung BD-UP5000 combo player for what Blu-Ray players are selling for now. If you can afford a Blu-Ray player today, you can afford a combo player in a year

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

4metta... there are players that play BOTH formats in 1 drive. Price is high right now because they are relatively new to the market. BUT you can get a dual format reader and dvd burner for under $300

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136133 (out of stock till 12/01/07).

This tells me that the actual players themselves will be under $450 soon. Or you can even get that rom now... and build a media pc. I'm kinda considering it.

Thanks for the info guys. That does sound promising.
  • Reply 4308 of 4650
    Quote:

We were talking about North American figures. Relax Walter.

So what exactly is misleading?

Quote:

Counting PS3s, Blu-Ray has 2.5 million players in the world

Yes, what exactly IS misleading?

The FUD that you spout? YEP
  • Reply 4309 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I already established this. :P
  • Reply 4310 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Hey.... if it's okay to talk about game console that plays back lossless audio, then I can talk about my vinyl player that plays lossless analog audio. I collect these as well. Very limited quanity, sadly.

Oh my record collection is safely tucked away, I was sad to see them go from mainstream use, but that is the way for things. My CD collection likely far exceeds it now anyway and my MP3/ACC collection has more stuff again... of course theres some things I haven't transferred from Vinyl or CD, but "some day" I'll get round to it
  • Reply 4311 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I think your time is optimistic onlooker. Converting movies to HD does take time for it to be done correctly. I'm still waiting for relatively new movies: Gangs of New York, Death To Smoochy, Fight Club, Four Rooms, Snatch, Primal Fear... IMO if this move was going to be done in 3-5 years, I would think there would at least be news on at least one of these for release dates. I think nothing pisses me off more about HD then I can't get the movies I want when I want them. On top of that... upconverted DVD looks pretty damn good in comparison... but I still want to double dip those movies... please k and thanks.

can't remember if it was here or on some other board I read, but I believe that the studios are only now getting to the point of having released about half of what they have in the vaults (in terms of numbers of films) ON DVD! and thats going for 10 years.

Give it time BD and HD-DVD are just over a year old

agreed though, a faster release rate would be cool for those that want it, but I have a feeling some enthusiasts would bankrupt themselves if the release rate was any higher
  • Reply 4312 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

See here. It was an honest mistake, and the numbers I was comparing were for the same market (I just got the market wrong), so chill with all the FUD/misinformation/out-of-your-ass commentary.
  • Reply 4313 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Quick question, which I can't find answered, and please provide a link.

Which disc is more durable, and why?

The quick answer is Blu-ray. The quick explanation is that all Blu-ray discs use a Durabis-like hard coating that is 100 times more scratch resistant than DVDs, and HD DVDS use exactly the same protective measures as DVD.

http://www.tdk-media.com/consumer/marketing/brd1.html
  • Reply 4314 of 4650
    Moh, moh, moh Blu-ray domination...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...36c0078ef4de4a

Quote:

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment's "Live Free or Die Hard," released the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, generated first-week sales that were 20% ahead of projections, in addition to nearly 100,000 Blu-ray Disc copies, said Steve Feldstein, the division's senior vp corporate and marketing communications.

...The high-definition format war tilted even more heavily in favor of Blu-ray Disc despite a rash of inexpensive HD DVD players sold through Wal-Mart and other discount retailers in recent weeks. Nielsen VideoScan data for the week shows 72.6% of high-definition discs purchased by consumers were Blu-ray and just 27.4% were HD DVD. HD DVD players have been selling for as little as $98, one-fourth the lowest street price for a Blu-ray player.

umm..., so how's that price trumps all theory doing again? HD DVD aficionados, start your spin engines.
  • Reply 4315 of 4650
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Moh, moh, moh Blu-ray domination...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...36c0078ef4de4a

umm..., so how's that price trumps all theory doing again? HD DVD aficionados, start your spin engines.

I don't think they need to start their spin engines,seems they've somehow managed to create a perpetual motion spin machine!
  • Reply 4316 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    One factor people may not realize: If J6P HD DVD player buyers are so single-mindedly focused on rock-bottom prices, it may be because they don't have much money to spare. It follows that if they don't have the money for an expensive player, they may not have the money for many disc purchases after their freebies, either.
  • Reply 4317 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

One factor people may not realize: If J6P HD DVD player buyers are so single-mindedly focused on rock-bottom prices, it may be because they don't have much money to spare. It follows that if they don't have the money for an expensive player, they may not have the money for many disc purchases after their freebies, either.

If your assumptions are correct about poor people buying cheap HD-DVD players, then I would guess they would all be heavily involved with netflix HD-DVD rental service just like most PS3 owners using BD features would do.

Most J6P would not even own HDTV, so most HD-DVD player buyers would not be J6P at all even for those purchasing $98 players.

Anyway, if you call people buying $98 HD-DVD player being too poor to purchase HDM's, when what do you call those who can't even afford $98 HD-DVD players..... Blu-Ray fanboy?
  • Reply 4318 of 4650
    Quote:

See here. It was an honest mistake, and the numbers I was comparing were for the same market (I just got the market wrong), so chill with all the FUD/misinformation/out-of-your-ass commentary.

I guess I should just tell YOU to chill, you don't seem to like it when what you say is WRONG, and it's proved to you.
  • Reply 4319 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Another factor that will kill the attach rate theory.
  • Reply 4320 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

If your assumptions are correct about poor people buying cheap HD-DVD players, then I would guess they would all be heavily involved with netflix HD-DVD rental service just like most PS3 owners using BD features would do.

Most J6P would not even own HDTV, so most HD-DVD player buyers would not be J6P at all even for those purchasing $98 players.

Anyway, if you call people buying $98 HD-DVD player being too poor to purchase HDM's, when what do you call those who can't even afford $98 HD-DVD players..... Blu-Ray fanboy?

I really can't understand this need to jump on someone and call them a fanboy (no matter which direction it goes) calling someone a fanboy is just a quick way of letting the world know you can't originate a valid argument.

Between the lines of these two post though is the "evidence" that it is STILL an early adopter market, DESPITE the cheaper prices. do you have a second HD-DVD player?

are these cheap players going into a second location in an already pro HD-DVD household? or are they genuine first time HD-DVD owners?

or, indeed, are they going into homes that are now format neutral?

there is no break down of this information. the market segment of HDM is small and it is not as simple as "you ONLY buy BD/you ONLY buy HD-DVD" as you yourself should well know what price for you to put a BD drive in your HTPC?