Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4321 of 4650
    Amazon now has the Samsung Blu-Ray/HD DVD combo player up for pre-order, with an estimated release date of Jan 15. They've got it at $799.99, which is $200 lower than the list price. When that player hits $499, it'll be my ticket to format-neutrality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I guess I should just tell YOU to chill, you don't seem to like it when what you say is WRONG, and it's proved to you.

It's the way you go about correcting me that you could ease up on. Like I said, it was an honest mistake and didn't so much matter in the point I was making anyhow. No need to accuse me of spraying FUD and Misinformation from my ass; a simple "those figures are just for North America, not the globe" would do just fine. You act as though I was comparing HD DVD's global figures to PS3's North American figures and claiming they were global, when in fact ALL of the figures were strictly North American when I mistakingly thought they were ALL global. Funny how you only corrected me on the PS3 figures though, and not the HD DVD figures
  • Reply 4322 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

... If anything, Star Wars will most likely be on Blu-ray exclusively...but not for a loooooong time. Most likely, years from Blu-ray winning the format war.

I'm sick of this freaking dumb-ass format war. Its ridiculous. And now its stopping me from enjoying my weekly fix of Boba Fett in glorious HD.

Question... will a decent dual-format player put an end to this crap? I would love a blu-ray / HD-DVD player from a solid manufacturer like Onkyo that costs less than $350. Any chances of that in the next 6 months??

Edit: Oh, just saw the above post!!! Go Samsung!!!
  • Reply 4323 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Question... will a decent dual-format player put an end to this crap? I would love a blu-ray / HD-DVD player from a solid manufacturer like Onkyo that costs less than $350. Any chances of that in the next 6 months??

Edit: Oh, just saw the above post!!! Go Samsung!!!

It'll probably be a year and a half before Samsung's combo player can be had for $350; that's the bad news. The good news is, unlike LG's combo player from early '07, Samsung's fully supports both formats' features (or at least the ones Blu-Ray has done so far), and has gotten great reviews as a player.
  • Reply 4324 of 4650
    Just an interesting note fellas...the numbers that show Blu-ray winning last week,...that was during HD DVD's BOGO promotion...and Blu-ray STILL won 73:27...
  • Reply 4325 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Just an interesting note fellas...the numbers that show Blu-ray winning last week,...that was during HD DVD's BOGO promotion...and Blu-ray STILL won 73:27...

HD DVD didn't have a BOGO promotion.
  • Reply 4326 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Anyway, if you call people buying $98 HD-DVD player being too poor to purchase HDM's, when what do you call those who can't even afford $98 HD-DVD players..... Blu-Ray fanboy?

Sigh. More namecalling. Why am I not surprised? People who can afford $40,000 SUVs generally don't care too much about gas prices. Anybody who's looking for a $1000 used car (the same ones who would say "I'd much rather buy a $199 HD DVD player than a $399 Blu-ray player") definitely care about gas prices. The concept carries over to discs.
  • Reply 4327 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Amazon now has the Samsung Blu-Ray/HD DVD combo player up for pre-order, with an estimated release date of Jan 15. They've got it at $799.99, which is $200 lower than the list price. When that player hits $499, it'll be my ticket to format-neutrality.

It's the way you go about correcting me that you could ease up on. Like I said, it was an honest mistake and didn't so much matter in the point I was making anyhow. No need to accuse me of spraying FUD and Misinformation from my ass; a simple "those figures are just for North America, not the globe" would do just fine. You act as though I was comparing HD DVD's global figures to PS3's North American figures and claiming they were global, when in fact ALL of the figures were strictly North American when I mistakingly thought they were ALL global. Funny how you only corrected me on the PS3 figures though, and not the HD DVD figures

You come across like Sony killed your dog.

The thing is HD-DVD isn't really selling AT ALL well in the rest of the world so the 750,000 for HD-DVD in the US is pretty close to the WW figures anyway, so yourself.
  • Reply 4328 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think the US is the only country that has anyone that was actually stupid enough to buy an HD-DVD player. I'm guessing mostly Nascar fans.
  • Reply 4329 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I think the US is the only country that has anyone that was actually stupid enough to buy an HD-DVD player. I'm guessing mostly Nascar fans.

Ahh, more asinine city-boy stereotyping. Way to rise above, there.
  • Reply 4330 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Yeah, I gotta say that this kind of format-snobbery is what made me initially want Blu-ray to die a quick and horrible death. I really just wanted all the tool fan boys to have to eat their words.

Blu-ray and HDDVD are about as different as Coke & Pepsi. Is it really worth being a dick over?
  • Reply 4331 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

HD DVD didn't have a BOGO promotion.

http://www.dvdtown.com/messageboard/topic/5120/6/0

...and according to many other forums, HD DVD has tried to match the Blu-ray BOGO's over at Amazon as well.
  • Reply 4332 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

did you get the boxset then? (think it was you asking a while back if it was worth getting?)

I'd be sort of keen on getting them, despite not really liking the first two movies, but they are far enough down my "must have" list to not concern me at the moment.

and with xmas round the corner and the glut of films that is usually on, i might pick up an OTA recording to put on the AppleTV instead.

Walter, I rented Spider 3 from Netflix. None of the series is a must-buy for me.
  • Reply 4333 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

One factor people may not realize: If J6P HD DVD player buyers are so single-mindedly focused on rock-bottom prices, it may be because they don't have much money to spare. It follows that if they don't have the money for an expensive player, they may not have the money for many disc purchases after their freebies, either.

Or for an HDTV.
  • Reply 4334 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Or for an HDTV.

I think we're crossing that threshold though. A $600 TV can be had at Wal-Mart right now for 12 months same as cash. That's $50 bucks a month and within reach for J6P living paycheck to paycheck.

That TV + a Blu-Ray player is $83 bucks a month. That TV + an HDDVD player is $67-$58. (all not including sales tax)
  • Reply 4335 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Ahh, more asinine city-boy stereotyping. Way to rise above, there.

Wow. I actually found one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Yeah, I gotta say that this kind of format-snobbery is what made me initially want Blu-ray to die a quick and horrible death. I really just wanted all the tool fan boys to have to eat their words.

Blu-ray and HDDVD are about as different as Coke & Pepsi. Is it really worth being a dick over?

I swear. Haven't you clowns ever heard a joke before? \
  • Reply 4336 of 4650
    Quote:

Yeah, I thought they took it too far as well...

At least I caught the joke! :P
  • Reply 4337 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Yeah, I thought they took it too far as well...

At least I caught the joke! :P

I thought of it because of something I heard on the radio on my way to work this morning. The DJ's were talking about Nascar saying they don't understand why there isn't a big market of Nascar fans amongst black people, and the DJ's were saying "That's like trying to tell black people they don't understand why they are not big fans of Larry the Cable guy - Or, telling middle aged housewives they don't understand why they aren't listening to gangster rap" It was funny as hell.
  • Reply 4338 of 4650
    Hahahahaha
  • Reply 4339 of 4650
    Quote:

Quote:

think the US is the only country that has anyone that was actually stupid enough to buy an HD-DVD player.

Calling people stupid is not a joke. Some of us made an informed decision based on our budget. HDDVD was attainable, Blu-ray was not. You're a dick. Calling people that called you on it clowns certainly doesn't disprove that.
  • Reply 4340 of 4650
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Are not ALL early adopters a bit egotistical by definition? I think most of the people who ran out and picked up either format were just dying to brag to their neigbor or fellow early adopter how awesome the pic looks on their TV. And I would be willing to bet that half of them bought their HDTV in or before 2004 and don't even have HDMI, let alone a DVI connection on the back of their TVs!

I say this because i am typically an early adopter, and I bought my TV in 2004, Hitachi 50V500 with a measly DVI connection. But i have managed to hold back on the next gen DVD player purchase because above all, i am a Star Wars fanatic! I will follow George Lucas to the edges of the universe! so... BRING ON STAR WARS ORIGINAL TRILOGY in HD so i can buy it for the 4th time!!! Excuse me while i change my pants...