Why I dislike Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 156
    regreg Posts: 832member
    As much as I would like those prices it would bankrupt Apple. As for names maybe you should review some of the Mac's history. Apple is about simplicity, this also goes for their naming of their products. Your names don't make sense.
  • Reply 82 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

Here's my labeling:

iMac---keep it but start them at $599 w/ Intel D

Mac Book---keep it but start them at $399 w/ Celeron Processors

Mac Book Pro----call them PowerBooks again and start them at $599 w/ Intel D

Mac Mini---keep it but start them at $299 w/ Intel D

Mac Pro-----call them G5 start them at $299 w/ Intel D

Airport Extreme----iport

Superdrive----DVD-RW

Final Cut Pro 5-----Final Cut

Furthermore:

sell motherboards at Frys, New Egg, Tiger Direct, Comp USA, etc starting as low as $69

open all game software up to the Mac platform, no licensing necessary

open up all mfgrs to Mac-compatible, no licensing necessary, so we can buy a DVD writer

without checking to see " if it works on a Mac"

open up Leopard FREE to all OSX users

So you want all models to be loss leaders?
  • Reply 83 of 156
    As much as I would like those prices it would bankrupt Apple. As for names maybe you should review some of the Mac's history. Apple is about simplicity, this also goes for their naming of their products. Your names don't make sense.

never heard of a G5? or Powerbook?

why should you care about the health of a multi-million dollar company? I have owned Macs since 1985

when did you first purchase a Mac?
  • Reply 84 of 156
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

never heard of a G5? or Powerbook?

why should you care about the health of a multi-million dollar company? I have owned Macs since 1985

when did you first purchase a Mac?

I find that hard to believe, because you clearly have no understanding of what Apple really is.

First off, they are a multi-billion dollar company, as in their revenue is counted in Billions last I checked.

Second, if Apple goes bankrupt, that means the death of the iPod and all Macs.

Sebastian
  • Reply 85 of 156
    find that hard to believe, because you clearly have no understanding of what Apple really is.

First off, they are a multi-billion dollar company, as in their revenue is counted in Billions last I checked.

Sebastian

I stand corrected...why should you care about a billion dollar corporation, do they care about you?
  • Reply 86 of 156
    Quote:

find that hard to believe, because you clearly have no understanding of what Apple really is.

Sebastian

I stand corrected...why should you care about a billion dollar corporation, do they care about you?

Technically no. However, I do care about Apple because without the Mac my alternatives would be HP, Dell, or some other PC Manufacturer. I could always try Linux, except the Ecosystem around Linux is screwed.

Sebastian
  • Reply 87 of 156
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Oh, boy, too easy. 8)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj

Here's my labeling:

Pentium D? Are you kidding me? Pentium 4/Ds are shithouse old technology. It's rubbish. It can barely run Vista the latest and greatest. What's the point of selling Macs with Pentium4/Ds if the user experience is terrible (because of crap CPU speed)??? And it will be thoroughly worthless in 1.5 years?

Quote:

Celeron. Whoa. Even worse than above.

Quote:

By your own reasoning, PowerBook is a stupid name... like "It's just a stupid laptop, all of them use power. POWERBook. So silly - like a paper book but with a plug in it. Pfft.". Intel D? Are you high? How many laptops do you see have Pentium Ds in them?

Quote:

Maybe you're saying "Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo" instead of Pentium D. Why would the Mac Pro be called G5? That's even more senseless -- "G5? G what? Ali G? G-Man? G-funk? What does the 5 stand for?"

Quote:

Airport Extreme----iport

Too late, someone got it already. http://www.iportmusic.com/

Quote:

Superdrive----DVD-RW

But it's Dual Layer. And some are 2.4x DL 8x DVD-R+R etc etc. Might as well call the iMac a "CoreDuo Box", which makes even less sense.

Quote:

Mmmm... Lawsuits... Just look at how many movies and other stuff use "Final Cut"

http://imdb.com/find?s=all&q=final+cut ...I think you need the Pro or Express for trademark/naming purposes.

Quote:

Why don't you keep buying and then give away all your food to your neighbours and you eat celery for the next few years?
  • Reply 88 of 156
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Sebastian

I'm sorry, but your arguments are really idiotic. If everybody had that mentality, no business would get done and the economy would be a wreck. Business, the general sense of the word, is simply a matter, a circumstance, a situation defined by a transaction of sorts (again, not related to money in the general sense of the word).

Would you trade your new car for someone else's old bike? No.

Would you work in a job where you had to pay your employer to work? No.

Would you give out hundred dollar bills to every who wanted one? No.

You have to realize that the reason why these companies have so much money ("multi-million [or billion] dollars") is because they make transactions with people that are favorable to both people. As a customer, buying a computer is favorable because I need one and I have money. As a company, selling a computer is favorable because they have computers and they want money.

Rarely do people make transactions that are unfavorable to them. Even when donating to charity, the person who donates is getting something. It's not tangible but it is very real. For starters, personal satisfaction of helping others. This doesn't even consider the effect it has on society and therefore the person who donates by doing socially conscious things, which in the case of donations, at face value, appear to be a loss (of time, money, resources, etc).
  • Reply 89 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Oh, boy, too easy. 8)

Pentium D? Are you kidding me? Pentium 4/Ds are shithouse old technology. It's rubbish. It can barely run Vista the latest and greatest. What's the point of selling Macs with Pentium4/Ds if the user experience is terrible (because of crap CPU speed)??? And it will be thoroughly worthless in 1.5 years?

Celeron. Whoa. Even worse than above.

By your own reasoning, PowerBook is a stupid name... like "It's just a stupid laptop, all of them use power. POWERBook. So silly - like a paper book but with a plug in it. Pfft.". Intel D? Are you high? How many laptops do you see have Pentium Ds in them?

Maybe you're saying "Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo" instead of Pentium D. Why would the Mac Pro be called G5? That's even more senseless -- "G5? G what? Ali G? G-Man? G-funk? What does the 5 stand for?"

Too late, someone got it already. http://www.iportmusic.com/

But it's Dual Layer. And some are 2.4x DL 8x DVD-R+R etc etc. Might as well call the iMac a "CoreDuo Box", which makes even less sense.

Mmmm... Lawsuits... Just look at how many movies and other stuff use "Final Cut"

http://imdb.com/find?s=all&q=final+cut ...I think you need the Pro or Express for trademark/naming purposes.

Why don't you keep buying and then give away all your food to your neighbours and you eat celery for the next few years?

hey just trying to sell to the masses. You have a mortgage and kids that wanna go to college? As for the G thing----I have a G4 tower (when they called it that waaay back in 2003)

As for FCP 5---its crap, I am an Avid user, though I am skilled in FCP. Its a child's toy.
  • Reply 90 of 156
    Quote:

hey just trying to sell to the masses. You have a mortgage and kids that wanna go to college? As for the G thing----I have a G4 tower (when they called it that waaay back in 2003)

As for FCP 5---its crap, I am an Avid user, though I am skilled in FCP. Its a child's toy.

Guess what kind of Processor is in your G4 Tower... wait for it... a G4. Which is exactly why it wouldn't apply to a Mac Pro with Intel CPUs, whether it be a Xeon or a "D" (haha, I still can't believe you are trying to push outdated Hardware)

Cutting prices to so much of an extreme that you make no profit makes absolutely no sense no matter how many units you sell because of it. You can sell as many units as you can make, but if you are losing Money doing that it makes absolutely no sense to do so.

Sebastian
  • Reply 91 of 156
    geardgeard Posts: 10member
    Grats on finding the Random Essay Generator.
  • Reply 92 of 156
    Quote:

Here's my labeling:

Airport Extreme----iport

Superdrive----DVD-RW

Furthermore:

sell motherboards at Frys, New Egg, Tiger Direct, Comp USA, etc starting as low as $69

open up all mfgrs to Mac-compatible, no licensing necessary, so we can buy a DVD writer

Also, open source the access codes to Apple's bank accounts and have all executives, designers, and engineers commit seppuku.
  • Reply 93 of 156
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
  • Reply 94 of 156
    Quote:

Here's my labeling:

Airport Extreme----iport

Superdrive----DVD-RW

Furthermore:

No offense or anything, but you are a complete idiot. I see others have refuted your "ideas" quite eloquently, but I feel compelled to do the job myself anyway.

Quote:

Here's my labeling:

Airport Extreme----iport

Superdrive----DVD-RW

As for the first part of your post, Apple should NOT build totally underpowered machines. They would run horribly and give all their other products a bad name. OS X is graphically demanding and is not gonna run on a $299 machine.

Quote:

WTF? Why call it a G5 if it doesn't have a G5 processor? And are you saying they should have their HIGHEST END MACHINE be priced at $299?

Quote:

How? No one wants to develop games for the Mac, what is Apple supposed to do about that?

Quote:

Even better, they should just give away FREE COMPUTERS to anyone who wants one.
  • Reply 95 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

No offense or anything, but you are a complete idiot. I see others have refuted your "ideas" quite eloquently, but I feel compelled to do the job myself anyway.

As for the first part of your post, Apple should NOT build totally underpowered machines. They would run horribly and give all their other products a bad name. OS X is graphically demanding and is not gonna run on a $299 machine.

WTF? Why call it a G5 if it doesn't have a G5 processor? And are you saying they should have their HIGHEST END MACHINE be priced at $299?

How? No one wants to develop games for the Mac, what is Apple supposed to do about that?

Even better, they should just give away FREE COMPUTERS to anyone who wants one.

obviously, you have no family, children, mortgage or impending debts as most people have who have commented negatively. I see the Mac as an everyday man's machine and quite frankly, only snobs who are only interested in high performance and exclusiveness want to hold back the Mac's appeal to the masses.

It reminds me of Scientology, as this group enjoys the lectures of life from L Ron Hubbard yet only appeals to the few who can afford to join, and those who are a part of it rave about the doctrine.
  • Reply 96 of 156
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Quote:

obviously, you have no family, children, mortgage or impending debts as most people have who have commented negatively. I see the Mac as an everyday man's machine and quite frankly, only snobs who are only interested in high performance and exclusiveness want to hold back the Mac's appeal to the masses.

It reminds me of Scientology, as this group enjoys the lectures of life from L Ron Hubbard yet only appeals to the few who can afford to join, and those who are a part of it rave about the doctrine.

Nice one. Scientology is a good example.
  • Reply 97 of 156
    Quote:

I see the Mac as an everyday man's machine and quite frankly, only snobs who are only interested in high performance and exclusiveness want to hold back the Mac's appeal to the masses.

But they WON'T appeal to the masses if they make awful computers. A Mac for $299 with a Pentium D is going to be terrible, no one will buy it. Even if you are on a budget, you don't want a machine that hardly even RUNS.

I agree with you about Macs being overpriced, and I think that Apple definitely needs to take steps toward cutting the prices on Macs. But you have put no thought whatsoever into HOW they should go about this, you merely tell them to do things that either can't be done or make no sense.
  • Reply 98 of 156
    Quote:

But they WON'T appeal to the masses if they make awful computers. A Mac for $299 with a Pentium D is going to be terrible, no one will buy it. Even if you are on a budget, you don't want a machine that hardly even RUNS.

I agree with you about Macs being overpriced, and I think that Apple definitely needs to take steps toward cutting the prices on Macs. But you have put no thought whatsoever into HOW they should go about this, you merely tell them to do things that either can't be done or make no sense.

I'm saying is to START them out at the proposed processors, all the way up to the Core 2. Like the

Honda Civic barebones model with roll-up windows offering up to the $39,000 Si Model. The slower $17,000

coupe is like having a Mac run on the lower end processors.
  • Reply 99 of 156
    Meh, I suppose that would provide more options to choose from, but it seems like having such terrible machines would just bring a bad name to the other, better Macs. Do you know how terrible the Pentium D is? It would NOT run OS X at a usable speed. And how much RAM do you plan on offering for $299?
  • Reply 100 of 156
    Quote:

Meh, I suppose that would provide more options to choose from, but it seems like having such terrible machines would just bring a bad name to the other, better Macs. Do you know how terrible the Pentium D is? It would NOT run OS X at a usable speed. And how much RAM do you plan on offering for $299?

You may have a point, however, a friend of mine is running OSX 10.4 on a G4 700Mhz and it runs fine and another friend is running OSX 10.3 on a 450Hhz G4, so it may work..........