Why I dislike Apple

Comments

• Reply 121 of 156
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Markus1982 View Post

Sorry, WRONG. Microsoft really wants to sell Vista as a retail box, because thats where they get the biggest margins. But who will really buy this pos called vista, an overpriced and very late service pack to XP? That implies that your 85% have to come mostly from sold pcs with preinstalled vista. Do you really think >80% of all computers will be replaced in 2007?

Again, not my Numbers, these were taken off of Informationweek. Anyways, I can see it happening because 1) I still see flaming idiots who know absolutely nothing about the Mac but hate it as much as they can and 2) There are people, believe it or not, who are looking forward to Vista and 3) Many PCs sold this holiday season came with a Voucher for a Free or Reduced Price upgrade to Vista.

Quote:

All windows-versions before proved the opposite.Sorry, but as far as i can see, very few Macuser need Windows and install. A few more of the switchers need it temporarily. But I can't see how anyone would buy (BUY!) Vista to install in Bootcamp or Parallels. This will not bring much cash to ballmers hands. And the switchers who feel a little safer in buying a Mac, now that it does windows as well, will soon realize they don't need no more windows.They do desperately. The market is changing. Microsofts only way to get people to use Windows is by preinstalling it on every pc. Hardware vendors are more and more pissed to depend on a crappy outdated and slow system.

You know something, I thought this too, but I am surprised by the number of Mac Users I see who do use Boot Camp and/or Parallels. Anyways, you assume that Windows PC Manufacturers can easily drop Windows. The problem with that theory would be simple ignorance on the part of the public. Many people buy PCs just to play games, which is odd considering the Console market is a much better place to look in my opinion, and on the other hand, businesses use and rely on Windows. Microsoft owns the Enterprise market, and that is good for no one.

Quote:

I think in the next 5-10 years most hardware companys like hp and dell will use linux-distros with their own window-manager and gui to give people a better experience and have more control like Apple does. I strongly belief Microsofts management is scared to death by this -- or they don't even see this yet coming.

HP is currently the largest Linux computer manufacturer, and that's not a very large market for them. Lenovo is sticking Linux on their notebooks, but so far it's only experimentation. If the market proves large enough, then yeah this will happen. But it's literally impossible to go from 95% of the market one minute, to nothing the next because of Linux. Given time, Linux could probably dominate, but people are predicting OpenSolaris will surpass Linux in the community, and personally I don't see anything all that great about Linux outside of the Server market. The Ecosystem that I see whenever I glance at Linux kind of sucks. I could be wrong, and I haven't dropped the money for Parallels to try Linux yet, but it's already complicated just when you start out. What distro should you get, GNOME or KDE, so on and so forth. There is also the slight problem that many people don't bother with Linux or Mac, even if they don't like Windows because they don't want to learn something new, or the other slight problem that some don't know about the Mac or about Linux.

Quote:

I apologize for my bad english. I'm not a native speaker. But I know what I'm talking about, concerning computer history and the market.

No apology needed, I got your message clear

I'm sure you probably know the market better then I, but before proving me wrong, make sure I'm the one to prove wrong. I know Vista will be a success because Microsoft dominates the market, the reality of that sucks, but so do the people who hate the Macintosh for no good reason. I don't even think Microsoft is Apple's true enemy, they compete in the OS arena but it's not even a fair comparison because the only one who makes the Mac is Apple. Meanwhile there is a Garden Variety of Microsoft OEMs, and that is where Apple's true competition lies as a hardware company. It's not about beating Microsoft, it's about beating Dell or HP.

Sebastian
  • Reply 122 of 156
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Damn it! If only these generators had been around in 1978 when I was in my last year at University, I could have completed by final thesis in minutes instead of having to give up partying and drinking for the last few weeks.

Shit! I forgot there were no web sites to go to then!

Hell! Just realized, there were no internet providers then!

Crap! I had no ethernet card in my Mac!

Holy Moly! I had no Mac!

Jeez! What did I do? How did I write my 30 page thesis?

Oh, yes I remember now, my sister in-law typed it for me after I paid her... phew, I was worried there for a while.
  • Reply 123 of 156
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Again, not my Numbers, these were taken off of Informationweek. Anyways, I can see it happening because 1) I still see flaming idiots who know absolutely nothing about the Mac but hate it as much as they can and 2) There are people, believe it or not, who are looking forward to Vista and 3) Many PCs sold this holiday season came with a Voucher for a Free or Reduced Price upgrade to Vista.

I don't understand why Infoweek would say that. Past history showed that it took about three years for Windows XP to account for more than 50% of all Windows installations. The IW numbers would also have to assume that most businesses would convert but I can't think of an incentive to upgrade all the machines right away. I had even worked for one major company that waited until Windows 98 was available before switching from Windows 3.11. Many businesses don't replace their computers any more than once every three years, and that's often the time that they consider an OS upgrade.
  • Reply 124 of 156
    Quote:

I've reached a point where I feel the need to express my disappointment with Random Complaint Generator. Let me get to the crux of the matter: We must work together to present a clear picture of what is happening, what has happened, and what is likely to happen in the future. What can you do to help? For starters, you might want to put to rest puerile and complacent machinations such as Random Complaint Generator's. I personally derive great satisfaction in doing that sort of thing because Random Complaint Generator motivates people to join its band by using words like "humanity", "compassion", and "unity". This is a great deception. What Random Complaint Generator really wants to do is perpetuate harmful stereotypes. That's why Random Complaint Generator says that it is not only acceptable, but indeed desirable, to turn the trickle of libertinism into a tidal wave. That's a stupid thing to say. It's like saying that it is its moral imperative to exploit the feelings of charity and guilt that many people have over the plight of the homeless. Random Complaint Generator's dishonest personal attacks convince me of only one thing: that mass anxiety is the equivalent of steroids for Random Complaint Generator. If we feel helpless, Random Complaint Generator is energized and ramps up its efforts to feed blind hatred.

That has to be the funniest thing in the world I have ever read in my life. Kudos SDW2001.

Oh and Slewis, for being a highschool freshmen... your pretty damn cool
  • Reply 125 of 156
    And to clear things up at the beginning... Apple's top of the line 'G4 Towers' as well as the 'G5 Towers' Weren't called that by Apple, they were called Power Mac G_.

And I personally loved the G5 Cube (Not actual name, I just like calling it that because its the only cube computer I know of )

EDIT: I guess the G5 didn't come in a cube flavor... it was only a G4... My animation class lied to me!

If there was a G5 cube someone show me where so I can get one I don't expect to see a Mac Pro Cube any time soon and the lil iMac G3 isn't cutting it anymore :P

And to add to the current conversation, I use Boot Camp and Parallels for only 3 reasons.

1. Gaming. F.E.A.R. isn't available for Mac OS at all, and most likely won't be, same for Battlefield 2 and all the other games I play.

2. HTML Coding tests. Microsoft discontinued Internet Explorer for Mac, so I have to use it for internet explorer tests or I'll fail my college classes

3. Diablo II LOD Character editors. Ones for Mac I've found are HTML only, and suck.

3.1: Yes. I'm lame, I still play D2LOD, but its okay cuz I'm playing with my girlfriend
  • Reply 126 of 156
    I highlighted a huge article online and started up Speech, and now I can't get him to shutup :'(

I tried all of the normal commands and nothing work Any ideas?
  • Reply 127 of 156
    Single, Male, 18, Christian

according to his myspace

and you know, i can believe it
  • Reply 128 of 156
    Holy crap this thing is fun as heck!

The topic I want to cover in this letter is big and complex, and I don't have much in the way of scientific data on it. Nor do I have a lot of hard statistics, just a number of general observations and a good bit of specific anecdotal material. Here's the story: I, speaking as someone who is not a bumptious chiseler, wonder what would happen if Mr. AjayBot really did displace meaningful discussion of an issue's merit or demerit with hunch and emotion. There's a spooky thought. Though I don't doubt the depth of his sentiments, it's rather the form of his expressions that I find both voluble and villainous. His perceptions are an icon for the deterioration of the city, for its slow slide into crime, malaise, and filth. Mr. AjayBot's thralls are unified under a common goal. That goal is to reduce human beings to the status of domestic animals. Stand with me, be honest with me, and help me demand a thoughtful analysis and resolution of our problems with Mr. AjayBot, and together we'll turn his harebrained sentiments to our advantage. We'll follow through on the critical work that has already begun. I'm counting on you. Thanks for reading this.

I decided to make it only 1 paragraph.

And yes, you can choose how long it is!

I just think its funny that the example they use on the site to type in is "'Microsoft' or 'the power company'" I guess people hate Windows and Lights

http://www.pakin.org/complaint
  • Reply 129 of 156
    Maybe it's time to tell the truth about Airsoft4Life, who is obviously smitten by his or her bloated prose. My BS detector senses an academician or lonely bureaucrat who is accustomed to writing lofty and longwinded passages without really saying anything that wasn't already established in the first few sentences. Hey, Airsoft, your post got our attention, but do you actually have anything of substance to say?
  • Reply 130 of 156
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RogueLeader25 View Post

Maybe it's time to tell the truth about Airsoft4Life, who is obviously smitten by his or her bloated prose. My BS detector senses an academician or lonely bureaucrat who is accustomed to writing lofty and longwinded passages without really saying anything that wasn't already established in the first few sentences. Hey, Airsoft, your post got our attention, but do you actually have anything of substance to say?

Read the thread... he used a bullshit complaint generator.
  • Reply 131 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RogueLeader25 View Post

Look at my post above. Thats basically what he did. I typed a word, hit create, copy, paste. It takes about 12 IQ points to do it
  • Reply 132 of 156
    Clearly, based on his handle, Airsoft is a tech lightweight.

Airsoft? That's for 10 year olds.

According to Airsoft<head> Tippmann Pnuematics probably

sucks, too. He'd say Tippmann produces a subpar weapon, but

I'll put my SL68 II pumper up against his little rat-a-tat anytime.

PS If Mac OS sux so bad, why do ALL the Vista reviews say "more

like a Mac"? See David Pogues podcast @

http://video.on.nytimes.com

says it all...

GeekSquadron- 'out

Mac user since 1986

1st machine=No HDD, 1meg ram, but a graphical GUI nonetheless
  • Reply 133 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't understand why Infoweek would say that. Past history showed that it took about three years for Windows XP to account for more than 50% of all Windows installations. The IW numbers would also have to assume that most businesses would convert but I can't think of an incentive to upgrade all the machines right away. I had even worked for one major company that waited until Windows 98 was available before switching from Windows 3.11. Many businesses don't replace their computers any more than once every three years, and that's often the time that they consider an OS upgrade.

Holy Crap I'm way off. Oh well, my original point still stands, Vista by default will be a success.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot

Oh and Slewis, for being a highschool freshmen... your pretty damn cool

8) Thanks 8)

Quote:

1. Gaming. F.E.A.R. isn't available for Mac OS at all, and most likely won't be, same for Battlefield 2 and all the other games I play.

Good thing PC gaming is practically obsolete. Both F.E.A.R. and Battlefield 2 are/were ported to Consoles.

Quote:

I highlighted a huge article online and started up Speech, and now I can't get him to shutup :'(

I tried all of the normal commands and nothing work Any ideas?

In the Services Menu where you started Speech, there is an option to stop it.

Quote:

Single, Male, 18, Christian

according to his myspace

and you know, i can believe it

I found a Battlefield 2 profile as well, but I lost it a few days ago. has he said anything to me or about me yet? I have him on my Ignore list

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot

Mr. AjayBot's thralls are unified under a common goal. That goal is to reduce human beings to the status of domestic animals. Stand with me, be honest with me, and help me demand a thoughtful analysis and resolution of our problems with Mr. AjayBot, and together we'll turn his harebrained sentiments to our advantage. We'll follow through on the critical work that has already begun. I'm counting on you. Thanks for reading this.

I guess I know what you think of the Human Race now...

Quote:

It takes about 12 IQ points to do it

Far less, my IQ was murdered reading his 1337 before.

Sebastian
  • Reply 134 of 156
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Digitalclips, my sister typed my final papers for me when I was in college (75). The best part was she use to type about 100 words/minute and would correct any mistakes as she went along. She was a year ahead of me and was working at a law firm. They had the IBM selectric typewriters that were awesome.
  • Reply 135 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

8) Thanks 8)

Good thing PC gaming is practically obsolete. Both F.E.A.R. and Battlefield 2 are/were ported to Consoles.

In the Services Menu where you started Speech, there is an option to stop it.

I guess I know what you think of the Human Race now...

Yeah they were ported to X360, which I don't have... and my clan doesn't have them either... so until they have $360 to drop on a 360 and F.E.A.R., I'm stuck with Boot Camp. Battlefield 2 gets frustrating after a while XD.

Thanks! I didn't see that last time.

He hasn't replied yet, he's been trying to find a different generator besides Random Complaint Generator and 1337 G3N0R4T0R

Honestly, I've been getting more and more disappointed in humanity... but thats a completely different thread

Goldfish have an IQ of 12, and I saw one that could type.... or maybe it was a dream.... Or maybe it was a random fact generator

In that order.

Ajay
  • Reply 136 of 156
    Regarding the original argument:

APPLE WANTS TO MAKE MONEY!

AND WILL DO ANYTHING TO MAKE SAID MONEY.

"ANYTHING" includes, but is not limited to, making good computers.

PS: You used the word 'corporatism' wrong.
  • Reply 137 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot View Post

Yeah they were ported to X360, which I don't have... and my clan doesn't have them either... so until they have $360 to drop on a 360 and F.E.A.R., I'm stuck with Boot Camp. Battlefield 2 gets frustrating after a while XD.

Thanks! I didn't see that last time.

He hasn't replied yet, he's been trying to find a different generator besides Random Complaint Generator and 1337 G3N0R4T0R

Honestly, I've been getting more and more disappointed in humanity... but thats a completely different thread

Goldfish have an IQ of 12, and I saw one that could type.... or maybe it was a dream.... Or maybe it was a random fact generator

In that order.

Ajay

Ah

Welcome

Hmm, maybe a random Spam generator?

Heh Heh

.... Possibly

In that Order

Sebastian
  • Reply 138 of 156
    Oh wait, I remember that fish now! It was a cartoon.... But that IQ of 12 is real
  • Reply 139 of 156
    This author is an insulting jerk with nothing of substance. I wanted an actual argument here. God bless the person who can laugh about this garbage.
  • Reply 140 of 156
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    He didn't even write it... Read the thread. Complaint generator.