Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Comments

• Reply 181 of 439
    Yup, in comparison the Zune really looks like something Ballmer recently flushed.
  • Reply 182 of 439
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theveeb View Post

This just appeared in a article on News.com:

In a written response to an inquiry from CNET News.com made while Jobs' speech was still going on, a Cisco representative said, "It is our belief that with their announcement today, Apple intends to agree to the final document and public statements that were distributed to them last night." Cisco expects to receive a signed agreement Tuesday, according to the statement.

Do you know what that document is?
  • Reply 183 of 439
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution View Post

Yup, in comparison the Zune really looks like something Ballmer recently flushed.

Flushed? or squirted?
  • Reply 184 of 439
    Well - it's about time! I always find myself wanting devices available in Asia before the US! Better late than never...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

INCREDIBLE DEVICE

Welcome to 2007. INDEED

Sadly, we here in Asia have to wait a year for the joy of buying one...

I WANT ONE NOW

• Reply 185 of 439
    I'd like the unlocked version as well, but what I understand is the visual voicemail feature may only work with Cingular. Is that correct? One of my biggest complaints about Treo is having to listen to all my messages to get to the last one. UGH.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I am really excited about the iPhone - I just hope that they offer an $800 unlocked 8gig version as well as the $600 locked one. P800->the wife, iPhone->me!

I actually had to go lie down for a bit instead of doing the F5 refresh on the engadget coverage - I just couldn't stand it, the pleasure was so intense.

• Reply 186 of 439
    The phone had a memory slot so I could trade out cards. 8 gig doesn't seem like much for as much video as I have. Would be very nice not to have to choose for when I am on the road. Will I be able to download from iTunes directly to the iPhone? Not sure if that was mentioned.
  • Reply 187 of 439
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

If they take all of that stuff out, you're left with a Nano in an enclosure that is the size of a full iPod. If they are going to mod the iPhone into just an iPod, it will have a hard drive -- maybe 40/100 GB versions.

Yup, and that's what I want! I want flash memory for better reliability, lighter and thinner, and better battery life. 16 or 32 Gb is adequate storage for me. 8 gigs for music, and the rest for photos and videos.
  • Reply 188 of 439
    Quote:

Ya, it seems pretty funny now, doesn't it? Can you imagine what the guys over at Palm and RIM are thinking this afternoon? Oh! to be a fly on the wall in those meetings!

Their stocks tanked upon Apple's announcement!

• Reply 189 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronHarmon View Post

You know guys, I'm sorry if I'm offending any of you, I am just really disapointed. .....Just so you know I was disapointed with the ITV and well and Bill Gate's CES keynote was underwhelming too .....Anyway, I make gobs of money, doing what I do. Technology and new gadgets are my favorite bad investment. etc etc

Yup. Your "bad investment" to the tune of $7.10 per share.

(Not bragging or anything -- just lucky) I made enough today (after taxes) to buy both the iPhone and the AppleTV!

• Reply 190 of 439
    i want one and will get one in July..AFTER I read some reviews. We've yet to see this thing in real world testing, so don't laugh too hard just yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Their stocks tanked upon Apple's announcement!

• Reply 191 of 439
    I guess the other carriers will start taking some interest in the device now that Apple has moved it from the R&D labs to the market. It shouldn't be long before others offer iPhone compatible services.
  • Reply 192 of 439
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronHarmon View Post

Bring on the 4 core MBP, I'll take one of those as well.

That's quite the fantasy, at least for now. If you are lucky, mobile quad chips might be available in six months but I think it might not be until next year.
  • Reply 193 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

i want one and will get one in July..AFTER I read some reviews. We've yet to see this thing in real world testing, so don't laugh too hard just yet.

I am laughing (happy) only because of the profits -- sorry to be crude. Too bad I was stupid enough not to short the other 'smartphone' guys.....

• Reply 194 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenJ View Post

Yeh slightly disappointed - the phones amazing and will start a revolution -but being in the UK it's going to be a while before it gets here. It would be good to have all those features on a 40GB iPod without the phone- I wonder what the new iPod will be like?

BENj

I don't think the UK version will be too long in the making > www.leavingzune.com

Plus, once Apple release the phone to other networks (internationally) it'll be easier to get sim-free, unlocked, any network any plan anywhere iPhones.

Gotta say, top marks to Apple for releasing the perfect device at the perfect time. Amazing. Just a shame about Cingular. I'll have to wait for other network availability, as it'll be a cold day in heck before I sign a two-year contract with those jokers...
  • Reply 195 of 439
    Awesome product!

But when is it gonna be available in Australia? prob same time as asia! (2008 ), but with who vodaphone? 3? i would def switch to whoever if the data plans aren't too expensive.

as for people wanting 30gb iphone thats unrealistic think of the size it would be and what the cost would be! most user dont need it either. don't get me wrong i would love it, but ain't gonna happen any time soon. the ipod nanos with get a bump in gb size late this year and maybe the iphone next year, remember it doesn't get release in asia till next year.

surprised no mention about leopard though, guess later. new macbook (pros) around april time with leopard i reckon.

all i can say is least it gives us some time to save up some money first!
  • Reply 196 of 439
    The iPhone has another 6 months left to grow and develop. And with stories of Apple and Linksys striking a deal allowing BOTH companies to keep the same name suggests one thing, to me...

The said contract may be temporary patch so that apple can release a $350 iPod, and then slap on an additonal $150 to unlock hidden phone / internet features?

I cannot forsee any other reason as to why two companies starting the mobile phone market would AGREE to keep the same name. Remember when TigerDirect feared that Apple's Tiger OS would compete with sales? I think you see where I'm going.

EDIT: I also want to point out that, perhaps Apple doesn't want to give away all it's firepower. See how this device holds up before investing in massive phones. If that doesn't satisfy you, then I'd like to refrence a quote I heard from Xander on Buffy, "Aim low and avoid dissappointment." Of course this isn't a low standard, but nothing's worse than promising 30 - 100 (what, are you serious?) GB devices, and then failing to deliver, or having to push back the ship date.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcr34 View Post

It is tough to see where the iPod goes from here.

The major attraction of switching to the iPhone, as it appears to me, is the new iPod interface, the addition of coverflow and the widescreen video capability.

And Apple knows that -- its almost certainly why they haven't announced a new iPod with that functionality and no phone attached. The iPod stuff will drag in switchers.

But I, and I would guess many other people, don't want to change my phone number, and don't want to use Cingular as my provider.

So when will I be able to upgrade my iPod without signing a contract?

Apple might wait a year or more to make the changes -- to prevent losing customers for its phone. But in the meantime it will seem far less attractive to buy a 5G iPod, given how good the new iPhone interface looks.

So how can Apple continue to innovate with the 5G, as it has to, and not cannibalise its iPhone sales?

• Reply 197 of 439
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keviano View Post

I don't think the UK version will be too long in the making > www.leavingzune.com

Gotta say, top marks to Apple for releasing the perfect device at the perfect time.

Well, if you consider June the perfect time then yeah.

Cingular sucks in my area anyway. I have verizon and never have conversation problems except when I am on the phone with my cingular using friends. They drop calls like hookers dropping their panties.
  • Reply 198 of 439
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

Just a shame about Cingular. I'll have to wait for other network availability, as it'll be a cold day in heck before I sign a two-year contract with those jokers...

I think you may be waiting for a while. According to the keynote, Apple and Cinglular have signed an "exclusive, multi-year deal" for iPhone distribution in the US.
  • Reply 199 of 439
    Quote:

I think you may be waiting for a while. According to the keynote, Apple and Cinglular have signed an "exclusive, multi-year deal" for iPhone distribution in the US.

True... In the US... The iPhone is quad-band, so there'd be little stopping Apple releasing an unlocked model in Asia or Europe that would work anywhere else in the world.

£1000 a month Cingular bill is not fun. Neither is an additional $700 after the phone has been disconnected, plus disconnection charges, plus tax, plus all those other Cingular added expenses.

If Apple decide on complete exclusivity with big C, then I won't be getting one. For shame.
  • Reply 200 of 439
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

True... In the US... The iPhone is quad-band, so there'd be little stopping Apple releasing an unlocked model in Asia or Europe that would work anywhere else in the world.

£1000 a month Cingular bill is not fun. Neither is an additional $700 after the phone has been disconnected, plus disconnection charges, plus tax, plus all those other Cingular added expenses.

If Apple decide on complete exclusivity with big C, then I won't be getting one. For shame.

My Cingular bill is about 100 bucks with 2 lines.

Cingular for me would charge $150 to cancel a contract.

Not sure what Cingular you deal with.