Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Comments

• Reply 201 of 439
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

The iPhone will change the world.

The iPhone cannot change the world if it's priced at ~$1k unlocked, or if you have to join crappy Cingular service to own it.
  • Reply 202 of 439
    Apple: +8.3%

Its competitors:

RIM: -7.7%

Nokia: -1.4%

Palm: -5.7%

LG: -3.1%

MOT: -1.8%

That is a lot of wealth transferred for one day.
  • Reply 203 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51 View Post

The iPhone cannot change the world if it's priced at ~$1k unlocked, or if you have to join crappy Cingular service to own it.

Nokia Vertu: $3200+

Bang & Olufsen: $1200+

And, those are just mobile phones.
  • Reply 204 of 439
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nokia Vertu: $3200+

Bang & Olufsen: $1200+

And, those are just mobile phones.

Last time I checked, both are unlocked and are not changing the world... Yes, they are really cool phones, but I have yet to see one in person, and I'm not sure why the mass public would buy one. It's like saying the Buggatti Veyron will change the world, when only a handful of people own one. Don't misunderstand me though, because I'm a huge Apple fan and love the iPhone (and it'll definitely sell better than the Bugatti), but I think Apple's scheme may backfire and may not be as profitable as they want it to be.
  • Reply 205 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Wow.

Not sure why everyone is whining about screen smudges. I NEVER clean the screen of my Treo, and when it's ON it looks perfect. You only see the smudges when the screen is off. I'm also rought on it, and carry it in the same pocket with keys, etc, and the screen holds up remarkably well against scratches. I'm sure the iPhone will, too.

is your treo touch screen?

_____

i have to say i reckon there is no voip and IM (ichat) because maybe that was part of the deal with cisco for being allowed to use the iphone name. because their linksys iphone is for voip and IM only so no competition or confusion.

just something i thought of
  • Reply 206 of 439
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I just watched the keynote. Wow is that cingular guy awful! I mean, watching him talk was truly painful.
  • Reply 207 of 439
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    SJ showed several video's on this thing, is 8gb enough for mail, video, itunes phone, osx etc, will the expansion slot alow increasing storage. he also said it would be available at apple stores

it is the true convergence device

ipod full screen

ipod video

smartphone

compact handheld computer

internet

contacts, sms,

maybe upgrade will be ichat av and video voicemail.

i like the way he said the killer app is making calls

very elegant

i wonder how long list to get one becomes????
  • Reply 208 of 439
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kesh View Post

GPS is built-in, as Steve demoed.

There is actually no evidence of this -- from what I read Steve demoed using Internet mapping sites, not a GPS receiver built into the iPhone. This is a shame because the device has everything but that... and next to iPod functionality the GPS would be what I found most useful.
  • Reply 209 of 439
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    i REALLY REALLY REALLY wish that there was appleworks or at least textedit!!!!

i could use that soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much
  • Reply 210 of 439
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Oh, btw, no one commented on the fact that Apple is no longer known as Apple Computer Inc. but now have changed their name to just Apple Inc.
  • Reply 211 of 439
    Just watched Jobs keynote..... awesome phone!!!!! Great functions, great product, price isn't bad either considering all the new technology, nothing like it on the market.

Conclusion: I Would NOT buy this phone. Jobs is keeping way too much up his sleeve. Wouldn't want to spend $599 to find out that Jobs is pushing his 4th Gen iPhone with even cooler functions in 5 months. Jobs is so good at doing this. Plus phones are now almost a fashion accessory I wouldn't be at all surprise that other variation of iPhone is on the pipeline with Apple and will be marketed soon ie. different color, ichat, bigger memory, os X leopard the list goes on.....

All that being said I probably will buy the phone anyway, never could resist apple products
  • Reply 212 of 439
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iPhone is great (phone + iPod nano) not a replacement for iPod Video (we will see something coming soon)

8GB not enough (not becoz of Apple, technology is evolving - flash is still expensive)

Cingular - i do not like - they may have agreement until some time then unlock to all market - my hope and guess

at this price it could be expensive outside US

Hopefully next few months more Mac related annoucement...

and

"ONE MORE THING" we, apple fans never satisifed with any of the products, always wanting something better - that brings Best out of apple...

(ps - mine is t-mobile and contract ending Oct )
  • Reply 213 of 439
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

(ps - mine is t-mobile and contract ending Oct )

I would think that October would be a good time for your contract to end. You can let the early adopters be the guinea pigs, and jump in when the initial bugs have been sorted out -- and I'm sure there will be plenty to sort out!
  • Reply 214 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Some observations...

1) It appears as though the OSX it is running is based on Leopard tech.

2) Mail & Notes but no ToDo.app

3) Voice memos? Audio recording? a microphone jack was mentioned I believe

4) 2MP camera but no video capture mentioned

5) No Preview.app for reading PDFs!???

6) No TextEdit so no way to view a .doc attachment??

7) no Apple logo on front of device(I can't imagine any other company exercising that kind of restraint)

8) GPS should be doable through external Bluetooth GPS reciever

9) .Mac integration not mentioned at all, instead Yahoo! push email

10) No pics of desktop dock, but I assume it should be compatible with current iPod chargers.

11) Will developers be able to get in on this? (Skype, Mozilla, Parallels, just kidding)

12) Will Apple control the apps like it does iPod games?

13) Will they sell additional apps through iTunes store?

14) No games on this! Not even Chess!

15) Only a single battery meter is showing (Kevin Rose said it had dual batteries?)

16) I see Clock but I also hope it has an Alarm Clock function.

17) No infared! (can't use as a universal remote)

18) Didn't actually show the calendar app in action

19) I hope it supports the Nike+

1) I would agree as the interface, especially with iPhoto, seems to using distance vector graphics. I'm thinking you'll need to have Leopard to sync this properly will ALL of your Mac's features. Obvious exceptions, are the uses one gets from iTunes 8, which I'm sure will be required to use this device.

3) Voice and memo are certain. These are common on current cell phones and also available in Quicktime Pro. If they don't, it's not hard to make a Widget for this function.

4) I hadn't thought of that, but I'm guessing it does do video. What high-end, high-powered, robust cell phone doesn't?

5) Safari can read PDFs just fine.

6) You will be, not sure how, but you will. As for editing, there is always Google Docs. I now it can render pages fine, but I hope that Google starts being more "Apple friendly" with it's apps.

7) It;s on the back and it just screams Apple. I wonder how much Cingluar fought (and failed) at getting their name/logo on the phone?

9) I've never heard "push" used like this before. Sure, it makes sense, I gues JObs focuses so much on to show that Yahoo was offering it for free to iPhone users.

10) Ther was at least one. The cable is USb 2.0 with the standard iPod connector. All is compatible.

11) I see no reason why any of teh apps you mentions won't eventually be available. Paralles with TinyXP could come in very handy.

13) God, I hope not. 3rd-party developer freedom and OS X inclusion only.

14) They will be available in some fashion, I guarantee.

15) From the technical page, it seems there is only one.

16) I also guarantee a multi-alarm clock with world clock functions.

17) You might be able to use it as a Universal remote for your iTV via the wi-fi. If not per Apple, then perhaps via a hack.

19) The video iPod doesn't, and neither it or the iPhone seem to be made for working out, so I'm guessing no. However, I asked a similar question earlier and was reminded by Melgross that iPhone's built in accelerometer may be hacked, like with the MacBooks

PS: Did anyone else notice that the first pic of a working iPhone had a time of 9:41..... The exact time that Steve Job first announced the iPhone? I wonder how many pics with different times to load, as I can't imagine they had the speech time down that precise. Either way, it's those little details that keep me coming back to Apple.
  • Reply 215 of 439
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    So no indication of a replaceable battery? Wow. I just don't get that. What is so hard about designing a case that allows you to snap in a new battery?

This is the one thing about Apple I just don't get. You would think they would have learned something from the whole iPod battery fiasco.

• Reply 216 of 439
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I would think that October would be a good time for your contract to end. You can let the early adopters be the guinea pigs, and jump in when the initial bugs have been sorted out -- and I'm sure there will be plenty to sort out!

Hopefully!
  • Reply 217 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maztermac View Post

I Would NOT buy this phone. Jobs is keeping way too much up his sleeve. Wouldn't want to spend $599 to find out that Jobs is pushing his 4th Gen iPhone with even cooler functions in 5 months.

I don't understand ths common philosphy. People seem to be really upset at how quickly Apple updates it's product line while bitching at the same time that they aren't releasing stuff fast enough. If you want an iPhone, then get one; If the price and functions don't meet your needs then don't buy it. There will always something better down the road, but why forgo fun/luxury/comfort/ in the mean time?
  • Reply 218 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

A Treo 750 here in the UK from vodafone with a 12 month £25 a month contract is £40. If you go for an 18 month contract it's free.

The P990 I had from Orange with a 12 month contract as an upgrade for me was free too.

Most of the HTC clones are about that too.

The only phones that attract more of a premium are things like the Nokia 8800.

It's preferences. The Nokia certainly isn't worth more in my eyes.
  • Reply 219 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Megapixels don't make a good camera. I've never seen a case where more megapixels on a camera phone beyond that yielded better picture quality, except maybe for the cameras that happen to have an integrated phone.

2 MP in a phone camera is plenty. I've seen higher rez pics from them, and they are bad.

Phones don't make good cameras.

The lens on a phone is really terrible. Thast limits the worth of the sensor right there. The processing is very poor as well.

It's good for a snapshot, or an emergency, but no more.

I believe Samsung announced an 8 MP phone. what a waste!
  • Reply 220 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You really don't understand why people have 20+ GB iPods do you? Many people (like me) like to be able to carry around their entire music collection. Of course we can't listen to the whole lot on a single charge. But it means that? we have our entire collection with us. We don't have to decide before we leave the house what we want to listen to when we are out/away for the weekend/on holiday. We can choose as the mood takes us.

And just how much would you pay for such a device? And what battery life are you willing to accept?

Higher capacities will come. Have you forgotten the first iPod had a small capacity?

Quote:

Nope. The price is subsidised by the contract (and we don't know yet how much the monthly charge will be). Do you people really not comprehend the technology packed into this thing? Not to mention all the R&D costs: that's not an off-the-shelf touch screen, for example, that's a proprietary Apple technology. Without subsidy, this thing would be even more expensive.

We comprehend it. We also comprehend that 8 GB is all that Apple can stuff into this thing right now, or they would have put more inside.

Wait a year, and it will go to 6 and 12, or 8 and 16.

Quote:

Don't you think the price has been set according to what Apple expect flash to cost in June? Don't forget all the other (extremely expensive) tech in this device.

You did get the point! Then don't complain about capacity!