So, what do we make of this...?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Keynote's over, sebastianlewis' fears have *not* come true (thank heavens!) and we got iPhone and Apple TV... and an "Apple" without a "Computer". So what's Apple 2007 gonna be like?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Dominant
  • Reply 2 of 114
    If the iPhone is just the beginning, I cannot wait to see what's next.
  • Reply 3 of 114
    This is the new beginning.

Leopard is coming soon, as are iLife and iWork.

Hardware will also have to take a giant leap forward to stay in step with the new phone, which is unbelievable.

This will be a very exciting year.

Prepare your credit cards.
  • Reply 4 of 114
    If this phone works the way it appears to (I've just gone through the apple.com demo) this isn't just a mere phone.

This is a pocket computer ? a truly mini Mac you can carry in your pocket. Pricey, to be sure, but smaller than a palmtop and insanely powerful. This is the device I've been dreaming of for years and it works exactly the way I'd want it to...let's just say my Palm Treo 650 is going to be available cheap in June or July.

This makes Microsoft look so 20th Century.
  • Reply 5 of 114
    corvettecorvette Posts: 561member
    Very dissapointed with the carrier decision.

I have cingular but the phone should be sold unlocked, without the support of any carrier.
  • Reply 6 of 114
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorSpin View Post

If the iPhone is just the beginning, I cannot wait to see what's next.

Actually, I don't think that there's going to be much of a "next" this year. With the iPhone Apple revealed the big revolution and predominant "theme" for 2007 (2006 was "Mactel-themed", 2007 might be "iPhone(/Tunes/pod/TV...)-themed")
  • Reply 7 of 114
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Prepare your credit cards.

I guess after this year's over there will be no more "credit" in my credit card...
  • Reply 8 of 114
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Well, I'm dissapointed. Nothing I had hoped for (Pro Mac and Mini upgrades) came through. I need a cell phone next month but I will not be paying that kind of money for one. Nor can I wait that long to get it. Going to Cingular in a little while to see what their service is like. I am currently on Verizon but I hate my phone (not service).
  • Reply 9 of 114
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Agreed. In short: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier. double-
  • Reply 10 of 114
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by durandal View Post

Keynote's over, sebastianlewis' fears have *not* come true (thank heavens!) and we got iPhone and Apple TV... and an "Apple" without a "Computer". So what's Apple 2007 gonna be like?

Either Apple has a lot up it sleeve or Steve Jobs has become so obsessed with low volume halo devices that nothing else matters to him. I'm not going to lie here, I am a little apprehensive about where Apple is headed.
  • Reply 11 of 114
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Leopard and iLife will probably be a second press even for jobs in a month or two.

This guarantees a widescreen ipod this year.

Apple is gonna enter the consumer electronics game little by little.
  • Reply 12 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmcgann11 View Post

If this phone works the way it appears to (I've just gone through the apple.com demo) this isn't just a mere phone.

This is a pocket computer ? a truly mini Mac you can carry in your pocket. Pricey, to be sure, but smaller than a palmtop and insanely powerful. This is the device I've been dreaming of for years and it works exactly the way I'd want it to...let's just say my Palm Treo 650 is going to be available cheap in June or July.

This makes Microsoft look so 20th Century.

You aren't the only one. The people over on the Palm and Treo forums are calling this the death blow for Palm. My Treo 650 was about to get replaced with a Motorola Q, but this makes them both seem archaic. "Buttons... who still uses buttons?"
  • Reply 13 of 114
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corvette View Post

Very dissapointed with the carrier decision.

I have cingular but the phone should be sold unlocked, without the support of any carrier.

If it wasn't for that 2 year contract we would be paying Upwards of a thousand dollars. Apple managed to pack everything except iChat AV (ironically) and the Kitchen Sink.

Sebastian
  • Reply 14 of 114
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Next Tuesday? No???

i still feeling the hangover i guess
  • Reply 15 of 114
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Well, I dont think I will be able to go to cingular based on their on-line maps. Thier coverage in Ohio is VERY spotty. I live in a residential area near the center of the city and my coverage is not in what they call their strongest area. I am miffed. They need to open this phone up for all carriers.
  • Reply 16 of 114
    ya i beleive this is the big hit for 07 dont expect much more besides the new ilife and iwork applications as well as leopard, im shocked they didnt release a date for leopard...must be somethin wrong there

what im truely afraid of is i want to get the 8gb iPhone for $599 but im scared that in 6 months or a year they will come out with like a 30gb model, haha the ipods have changed dramatically in only a few months/years and theyre always upgrading the size, im worried that in 6 months-1 year after the iPhone originally comes out there will be a 30gb or 20gb or something model for the exact same price..then ill be mad haha
  • Reply 17 of 114
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    The only thing I want to see for the iPhone now is developer support, and how .Mac falls into everything (the first person who says .Mac is dead... let's just say I have my Flamethrower ready) now that Google and Yahoo are partners and partners with Apple.

I'm hoping they will stick some Tools into Xcode to develop for the iPhone.

Sebastian
  • Reply 18 of 114
    I see this as a first good entry into the mobile space for Apple. Once the kinks are worked out, I'm sure we'll see an IPhone nano, better carrier support and a better value for more consumers.

I think the biggest news here is OSX (lite), followed by the touchscreen capability. I imagine that the OS will trickle down into part of or the rest of the iPod line over time.

I am a bit disappointed that only two products were announced and one will only be shipping next month. I understand these things take time to develop and implement, so I'm not talking about that. Unless you consider the updated Airport Extreme, we didn't really end up with much here and now.

Guess we have to look to other computer hardware announcements coinciding closer to Leopard's release.
  • Reply 19 of 114
    I'm more worried they'll release a 3G version 6 months after the first one. I used Cingular's EDGE network once and was not impressed. I told myself I would not buy another PDA-like device unless it was 3G. Everything is moving 3G, so why did Apple drop the ball on this???
  • Reply 20 of 114
    ya i mean i REALLY want the phone im just worried ill be stuck in a 2 year contract and wouldnt be able to get an upgraded phone from Apple...but if cingular is like t-mobile where they let u extend ur contract over again when buying a phone instead of having to pay full retail price for the phone