So, what do we make of this...?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Inkwell will come with a future version.

There is no way Jobs would allow his new baby to be publicly compared with Sculley's handiwork.
  • Reply 82 of 114
    The iPhone looks great and will probably be a great device, no doubt, and the Apple TV... well ... we sorta new about it already and its cool too, but why was there no mention of .......

1) iLife 07

2) iWork 07

3) Toast 8.0 (now with blu-ray support)

4) MS Office 2008 for Mac (announced at Macworld today - ships Q3/4 2007)

5) Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (update, any update please!!!)

.... and thats just the software, how about:

6) Intel's new Quad Core (Core 2 and Xeon) chips just announced

7) iSight ? ..... what has happened to them, no longer at the online store

8 ) New Airport Extreme 802.11n base station suddenly shows up ????? at the online store, those of us that have recent intel Macs *may* have 802.11n already ????

Personally I was very disappointed after watching the (rather choppy) keynote this afternoon, I think Steve got a little too smitten over the iPhone and should have paid more attention to the above subjects, as he has in the past Macworld keynotes. I would have likes a more rounded balanced presentation, we don't have to know everything or all the details, but at least acknowledge that they are in the works.

Also the iPhone and Appletv are not going to be globally available any tion soon, many people in Europe Asia or Canada (like me) may wait some time for these products to be supported in our countries, much like the iTunes Store did.

I really hope that this is not a sign that Apple is slowly abandoning the Mac and all the great software they make, I mean renaming Apple Computer Inc. to Apple Inc. seems kind of ominous.

-Robert

Toronto, Ontario
  • Reply 83 of 114
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    I think the iPhone technology is leading to future Mac technology.

I can see the touch screen evolving into a desk top experience. Certainly a desk phone with a larger form factor capable of video conferencing. A filing system application.

But think of a future generation of Mac Displays that we control with MultiTouch?flipping pages of documents, scrolling through iPhoto library, zooming in on web pages.... In other words, the iPhone is part of the evolution of the Macintosh.
  • Reply 84 of 114
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

I can see the touch screen evolving into a desk top experience. Certainly a desk phone with a larger form factor capable of video conferencing. A filing system application.

But think of a future generation of Mac Displays that we control with MultiTouch?flipping pages of documents, scrolling through iPhoto library, zooming in on web pages.... In other words, the iPhone is part of the evolution of the Macintosh.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was trying to imagine as I watched the keynote a laptop using the multi touch technology. Perhaps the next notebook keyboard will appear on the display, as it does for the iPhone. Then I got to thinking would people make that adjustment? Would people adjust not looking in front of them and looking down at the display? Would the display itself have better viewing angles if the keyboard is part of the display and it sits flat on a table, like a tablet? Would it be a tablet?

Then you think watching the keynote being able to edit a video in Final Cut Pro using touch screen technology like in the iPhone. That would be really cool. Not that it would be cool as much as I think it might make editing more productive. Then think about using Photoshop in this way. How would Photoshop know about "pinching." Surely that must be a System Preference like the mouse and trackpad are.

A lot of the functionality in the phone will surely make it's way into future Mac software too. SMS text will most definitely make its way into future versions of iChat. Why not be able to make a telephone call in iChat too? Why limit it to just messaging. If I want to call my friend on the phone from my computer, why not build the Skype abilities into OS X Leopard?

And looking at the interface to the phone, you can see where a lot of that "Illuminous" talk might be coming from. How much of the interface of the phone is driving the Leopard interface, or how much of the iPhone interface has not been refined to look more like Leopard. I think that there may be more features in common with iPhone and Leopard that we can gleen at this point.

I would like to know if the phone will be handy for System Admins and have versions of Remote Desktop, Server Admin and Workgroup Manager so these services can be monitored and changed while on the go? Can you imagine getting a phone call from your Xserve telling you that the Password Service has crashed and you go ARD into the server and look at the panic log? Or look to see what's happening with slapd? How good could this really get?

I think those that are let down that there wasn't any major new hardware announced...I totally agree...a let down. I am looking for the next notebook redesign & Consumer tower with Conroe in it. But 2007 just started and it's day 9 of the new year. I am thinking positive for the remaining 356 days that are left!

Oh and one more thing, I would rather have Leopard be fully baked than 3/4 baked. So if it comes out in June, as opposed to March 21st (1st day of Spring) I will have a little more confidence that it won't be as buggy because they just wanted to rush the damn thing out the door. Tiger had some really rough spots because I think they wanted to get the thing out early.

All of that is my 2¢...FWIW.
  • Reply 85 of 114
    I, like most am disappointed, but at the same time I understand why Steve announced what he did. It's quite obvious this is all about the stock holders and their expectations. Analyst have been predicting to the point where stock holders expect it... and if things aren't at least announced then the stocks goes down... we all know that. It's just sad that Apple has gotten so big that it's focus is through the eyes of the stock holders and not the end user. I mean come on... 6 months! Is this going to be the trend of future Apple new product announcements? I loved the fact that Apple almost always had the new products available within 1-30 days.... By the time this baby comes out the buzz will have worn off a bit.

Don't get me wrong I love the phone and most likely buy one, Although I think they should have chosen a different name as the phone is only the beginning of it's abilities.
  • Reply 86 of 114
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Also i think part of the plan announce and see what is the other Telecom companies say about

Monitor the stock prices - now doing well - it may went down as well ... so it that case there will be additional media key note for separate products like Mac Pro and redeisgned MBP and iMac (if there is one)...

Still we are waiting for Leopard release date, i think between now and WWDC lots of things could happen...

Hold on your breath, Apple wanted to highlight iPhone and its focus next 10 years, OS X and MAC is still the heart of Apple ...
  • Reply 87 of 114
    Quote:

But think of a future generation of Mac Displays that we control with MultiTouch—flipping pages of documents, scrolling through iPhoto library, zooming in on web pages.... In other words, the iPhone is part of the evolution of the Macintosh.

Mindboggling, eh?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 88 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

I agree. I also agree with those who have stated that this is probably a partial preview of Leopard's UI.

After watching SJ last night on Nightline--specifically his comment about how technology is going mobile--I wonder if the next generation of Macs won't try to change the whole desktop/laptop paradigm. With ever increasing capacities for flash drives and the possibility of multiplying the multi-core processor architectures by 4 and 8 eight times, couldn't we have a mobile computer that ends the differentiation between a desktop and a laptop? Touch screen and all?

Wouldn't that be the kind of thing that Apple would do?
  • Reply 89 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I agree. I also agree with those who have stated that this is probably a partial preview of Leopard's UI.

After watching SJ last night on Nightline--specifically his comment about how technology is going mobile--I wonder if the next generation of Macs won't try to change the whole desktop/laptop paradigm. With ever increasing capacities for flash drives and the possibility of multiplying the multi-core processor architectures by 4 and 8 eight times, couldn't we have a mobile computer that ends the differentiation between a desktop and a laptop? Touch screen and all?

Wouldn't that be the kind of thing that Apple would do?

Apple will have a hard time finding a market for a 20" iPhone.
  • Reply 90 of 114
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    iPhone? C'mon, everyone saw it coming -- we just had no idea how cool they would make it.

AppleTV? Mere details on last year's news. I'll buy one.

Here's what's new for 2007 from Jobs & Company:

MacWorld isn't about Macs anymore. It's officially become AppleWorld, or SteveWorld. Like it or not, Steve has been given the freedom to take Apple customers wherever he wants, even if it has nothing to do with the computers his company makes and sells.

Maybe that's not a bad thing. It's definitely good for Steve -- he has someone else picking up most of the cost of his new product intros, even if they have nothing to do with the Macs we came to enhance or buy new. He gets to be the premiere presenter of the CES show without paying to be there. I've seen 7 raving stories on local and national news about the iPhone, but heard virtually nothing from the CES. And if the AppleTV and iPhone don't belong in the CES, I'm totally losing a grip on reality.

The good parts: The technology in these two offerings are at least lifestyle-enhancing, if not life-changing. Steve & Co. are shaping culture and giving us glimpses of the future we've only dreamed about. Computers that look nice enough to keep out in the home where you can watch your kid use it, even become a centerpiece of your lifestyle. Music+video players that are easy to carry, simple to use. Imaginative and thoughful online shopping experiences. Brick and mortar stores with employees knowledgeable (even passionate) about the products they sell. Now telephones with an intuitive interface to highly advanced features. Our biggest frustrations are likely because of the complexity of implementing all the features we want takes longer than we want to wait, and ultimately costs more than we want to spend for them.

The bad parts: Without Mac announcements, this may be the (beginning of the) end of MacWord Expo (and the launch of iPhone magazine). Steve got away from the twice-a-year Mac announcement schedule a while back; now he can pull the plug on products or set off the fireworks any time of year they want (or need to). This will make an annual gathering of the clan in SF immaterial, and it will likely fade away. After all, what makes sense about developers and gadget builders for Macs spending big dollars to come to MacWorld without Mac user's fascination with predictions on Steve's keynote?

I think the iPhone is great -- it looks really easy to use. Unfortunately, even though I live in a massive metropolitan area out here "in the middle," I gave up on Cingular because I have no signal in my home, although Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile all work just fine. I use email more than voice, so paying more than my broadband connection fees at home/office doesn't make good economic sense right now. As I said before, I will buy the AppleTV (maybe multiples), because I love to watch my home and professional videos and photoshows in multiple locations rather than just on the Macs in my office, or transport via iPod.

I understand that there are a lot more people who use cell phones than computers, and that's a growth area that financially, they cannot pass up. I can image thousands of spare chargers and couplings for the iPhone being sold (and replacement batteries). Who will watch a TV show on the way to the office if it means you might not have enough battery to make a call later? After all, the primary function -- the killer app-- of the iPhone is to call people, not show someone your vacation pictures or watch the Office at the office.

But I use the multiple Macs in my studio/home for 10, 12, 14 hours a day; I talk on the phone for maybe 30 minutes. I make _my_ living with my Macs, not with my phone. Despite what PC makers and Microsoft says, there is no hardware replacement for what I do with my Macs. I can make a phone call to and from almost anywhere with millions of different phones. So while it's cool, and a nice idea for the future, I don't need it to make money, or even have a great lifestyle. What I do need is faster processing computers, cooler streamlined workflows, insanely great interfaces facilitating productivity. Some people need better cellphones to display and work with; my primary toolset is based on my Macs and the software they run.

I am just disappointed that 2007 became the year that Apple's commitment to MacWorld stopped being about Macs. And the "one more thing..." was that there wasn't one.

Next year, I expect to see Steve wearing khakis and an open collar shirt.
  • Reply 91 of 114
    Although some folks on this thread seem to get that iPhone represents a new leap forward in terms of computer UI ? I'm at a loss to understand the whining about the lack of announcements on products we know are in the pipeline.

Does anyone, anywhere, think that there won't be new Macs based on the quad core chips? Does anyone think that iWork and iLife aren't coming? That Leopard won't ship on time and be chock full of neato UI improvements and cool features?

Sorry, I can't blame Steve for being excited about showing off the future of computing -- PocketMac. It seems pretty darn likely that other devices (tiny laptops, anyone) will morph out of this iPhone product, and as others have suggested, impact the UI of OS X.

I'm amazed that people are skipping past the insanely great to whine about the lack of the mundane.
  • Reply 92 of 114
    The complaining is pretty incredible. They were begging for the iPhone, then raise heck when it arrives because they didn't get everything they wanted. It is the beginning of a new era, people. Can you imagine how good their next products have to be to stay on top of the iPhone?

BY the way, you will love this:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...&from=business
  • Reply 93 of 114
    Steve also said, "See you real soon", so something is coming.

Hold on for the ride, people.
  • Reply 94 of 114
    For all the complaining on the boards here and other rumors sites, somebody is liking th eshow very much:

97.00 +4.43 (4.79%) 10 Jan at 11:13AM ET
  • Reply 95 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmcgann11 View Post

Although some folks on this thread seem to get that iPhone represents a new leap forward in terms of computer UI ? I'm at a loss to understand the whining about the lack of announcements on products we know are in the pipeline.

Does anyone, anywhere, think that there won't be new Macs based on the quad core chips? Does anyone think that iWork and iLife aren't coming? That Leopard won't ship on time and be chock full of neato UI improvements and cool features?

Sorry, I can't blame Steve for being excited about showing off the future of computing -- PocketMac. It seems pretty darn likely that other devices (tiny laptops, anyone) will morph out of this iPhone product, and as others have suggested, impact the UI of OS X.

I'm amazed that people are skipping past the insanely great to whine about the lack of the mundane.

I was hoping for a couple of products?a new iSight and an updated iWork?that I have use for right now, and that I was willing to pay for yesterday afternoon. Instead, there were announcements for things for which I have absolutely no use.

In the past, Keynotes have been much more inclusive. Steve has apparently taken them as an opportunity to give a summary of Apple's various product lines and announce new products within that context. This was more like one of Apple's media events. And because Apple failed to even mention any of their other product lines, we have no idea what their status might be. An updated iWork is coming, certainly. If it comes next week, that's fine for me. If it's in the middle of March, that's a lot less useful, and whether I get it or not will depend on the state of my various projects, and if I feel like taking time to adjust to whatever new features it has. If it arrives in June, it's no use to me at all.

I still have no idea if there will even be a new iSight.

I don't think that anyone is doubting that the iPhone announcement is good for Apple. Some of us are just disappointed that it isn't any good for us.
  • Reply 96 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Then you think watching the keynote being able to edit a video in Final Cut Pro using touch screen technology like in the iPhone.

<snip>

All of that is my 2¢...FWIW.

Turn those goddamn dials in FCP with a finger push instead of battle with mouse and cursor? Glory, glory, hallelujah! I have seen the light!

OS X suddenly looks like an OS that's been designed for touch screen but which is temporarily crippled to accommodate clumsy, last-century peripherals. I'm liking the idea of my touchscreen keyboard sliding up from the bottom of the display Ã* la the dock.

Forget the phone. The crowd didn't go ga-ga 'cause Steve made a phone call. They were ga-ga over the UI. So David Pogue is saying how hard it is to type because the keyboard is so itty bitty. Who wants to type on something that fucking small under any conditions? Voice recognition for the small stuff. Shouldn't touchscreen interface controls be much easier to implement on larger displays with tons more room for error and big fat buttons?

What I want to know is whether they could marry the graphical and gestural UIs - not necessarily with the same touchscreen technology as the iPhoney. Suddenly stuff like magnification looks like much more than eye candy if it actually enlarged the hotspot or whatever on the screen making it less likely you miss hitting it. Exposé would really come into it's own if you were using a finger rather than a mouse and cursor. Could they do an on screen cursor or stylus that you pushed around with your finger?

I just can't believe people are obsessing over a phone and missing the main story. It's the year of Mac says Steve. Mouse? Been there, done that. Click wheel? Ditto (tho' I can't help but think a graphical multitouch one might not come in handy on occasion...) Multitouch! And the crowd goes wild. Then he talks about TVs and phones for 2 hours?

\

Since when were mobile phones interfaced with a mouse or click wheel? But they have had touch screens. But this touchscreen phone runs a version of OS X which hasn't been interfaced via touchscreen! Other than that, it's just a cell phone, PDA and iPod rolled into one. And a teaser to the main game. He's milking the moment for chrissake altho' I struggle to believe full size OS X multitouch is imminent.

However, I think this is also the most carefully stage managed Apple event in a long time. And it is a cute way to wean those remaining recalcitrant Windows users over. Here ya go guys, baby OS X to play with. Once you've got that figured out, you can have a go at flying the big bird. No wonder they've let the UI get somewhat untidy. Many things will change. Many things will stay the same.

So who knows lots about touch screen technology and integrating it with GUIs.
  • Reply 97 of 114
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    I'm right there with ya. A phone call is worth a Quarter. A touch-sensative interface for video and audio editing applications on a pair of 30 inch+ color-calibrated screens is what will pop my cork.

I wanna "Cruise" through files like Officer John Anderton in "Minority Report" (pun intended), not stand around feeling good about myself in a coffee bar as people gawk at how I interact with my cool phone.

Disagree with winning over Windows jockeys with a Phone. Sure, Apple will take their money, but all the phones and music players in the world won't convince those guys to buy a Mac. People buy PCs cuz they're cheap, and they don't don't know not to. And no salesperson on commission is gonna tell ya to go buy something they don't carry.

Apple should make the "iPhone for the rest of us." Two buttons: PHONE, with a telephone icon, and MUSIC with a musical note. Music starts playing a shuffle of your songs. Phone asks you to say who you want to call. A high end version could have INFO, that lets you do a 411 at a discounted rate. Ya load it with contact info and songs from iTunes, Mac or PC. Throw in a USB connection so you can carry files on it. Sell it for $50 for use with every Cell service out there. Make another gazillion bucks. Make it in 4 colors, there's 3 gazillion more users.

Somehow, this user group has decided that they're technologically advanced because they learned to type with their thumbs. I don't see the attraction, although I guess if your keyboard is 2 square inches maybe your d1ck looks bigger. Voice has been around a few million years longer than type.
  • Reply 98 of 114
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Knowledge Navigator here we come.

That year was 2010. We are but a short hop away and perhaps by 10.7 we will be there.
  • Reply 99 of 114
    How come I feel like the iPhone is the first step into creating a more European cell phone market here in the U.S.? I mean, for once, the hardware maker seems to have quite a bit of control over the service provider. Apple seems to have Cingular under their belts...if Apple wants it Apple will get it.

BTW I want one, but don't want the tech to change in a year (2 would be good....contract would be up by then :P)
  • Reply 100 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

BTW I want one, but don't want the tech to change in a year (2 would be good....contract would be up by then :P)

I'm counting on the tech changing in 6-12 months after release: To add 3G. When you got the folks at HTC building full-touch-screen (albeit not the same touch screen) with 3G now, Apple won't stay competitive if they think they can roll out an EDGE phone 6 months from now and ride that out for 2 years.