So, what do we make of this...?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

I only see Widget-type apps. Will I be able to open Word and other apps?

Well, I think Word or something wouldn't really fit the iPhones small (small compared to Laptop/Desktop computers, that is) screen. Maybe they have some "mobile" version of iWork up their sleeves?

By the way, talking about the iPhones MacOS X underpinnings... the thing that I'm looking forward to the most is the first geek running a WebServer off his iPhone 8)

Oh, and there's one more thing: Apple shares closed at +8.31%, RIM went down more than 7% - luvin' it

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/
  • Reply 42 of 114
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ive View Post

Gps !!!!

Google Maps is good enough

Sebastian
  • Reply 43 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

I want a stripped down version that is only iPod and no phone/internet/etc device.

May I suggest to you the 80 GB iPod out now.

I'm not sure if the iPhone will replace the iPod though... it doesn't appear that way.

Sebastian
  • Reply 44 of 114
    i say we have a long time till June..now that they know that people know about the phone, im going to expect that they start throwing around some ideas for applications on the phone, im sure they will include a mobile version of iwork or ilife in it because the windows smartphone 5 has most of these features already...im sure a lot more will be integrated in the phone when its all ready and out the door for shipments
  • Reply 45 of 114
    Hey my forum layout just changed...
  • Reply 46 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

im going to expect that they start throwing around some ideas for applications on the phone

...and hopefully Apple will throw around some iPhone dev tools for us to realize these ideas...
  • Reply 47 of 114
    doesn't the airport extreme now support USB HDs??? I thought I read that...
  • Reply 48 of 114
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Aside from a hard drive based iphone, I'd also like to see a game controller add-on that clips onto each side of the iphone. Apple now has the perfect platform for (portable) gaming.

I'd also like to see a picture of the back of the iphone is anyone has one.
  • Reply 49 of 114
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

The plans that Cingular has for unlimited access to the internet (via EDGE where available) are a little pricey IMHO compared to some of the competitors, but YMMV.

With the potential of at least 10 million new customers, I'd assume Cingular might consider creating a cheaper data plan by June.

Ugh! I want that device, but do not want switch carriers.
  • Reply 50 of 114
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by durandal View Post

...and hopefully Apple will throw around some iPhone dev tools for us to realize these ideas...

ummm... you mean like Dashboard?
  • Reply 51 of 114
    no like other applications not on dashboard, such as word and that whole family, maybe slingmedia will create an app to work on the iphone as well, theres tons to be made...

oh and yes i truely beleive that cingular will create a specific plan for iphone honestly they kind of have to the data plans they have now are bogus..

i wonder if you can download ringtones or if it allows you to set up your ipod songs as your ringer..but those songs are long haha
  • Reply 52 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

ummm... you mean like Dashboard?

Dashcode you mean? No... I was thinking more like "XCode mobile" (maybe with some 'iPhone emulation' to test your iPhone apps on your workstation) and "iPhone SDK"...
  • Reply 53 of 114
    Here's a link to the iPhone mockup at Macworld.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/first-iphone-pics/

Cheers
  • Reply 54 of 114
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    I bet the other reason they didn't talk about Leopard (other than the phone took the whole time) is M$ blatant copying in Vista. Steve is waiting until after Vista ships (read: no more delays to put copied stuff into windows) to talk about the "top secret" stuff in 10.5. He wants to widen the lead OS X has over Windows; yet another step in the "take back the computer business from the lying, copying, no-talent, shameless micorshaft" strategy.
  • Reply 55 of 114
    I fully expect Apple to release an iPod-only version of this. It will make a lot of people happy.
  • Reply 56 of 114
    hmm looks like it has a place to put SD cards....or flash? so it will have 8mb memory plus flash??
  • Reply 57 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

take back the computer business

Something in Apple's move to rename themselves today tells me that their strategy is not about taking back the computer biz...
  • Reply 58 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

I bet the other reason they didn't talk about Leopard (other than the phone took the whole time) is M$ blatant copying in Vista. Steve is waiting until after Vista ships (read: no more delays to put copied stuff into windows) to talk about the "top secret" stuff in 10.5. He wants to widen the lead OS X has over Windows; yet another step in the "take back the computer business from the lying, copying, no-talent, shameless micorshaft" strategy.

wow never thought of it like that, but i think ur like 95% right about this...i think they want the good stuff hidden
  • Reply 59 of 114
    I think Apple and Steve Jobs understood what a big deal iPhone is and didn't want to muddy the water with a lot of other stuff.

I have my take on it, of course:

http://www.tektruth.com/moxie/commen...es-iphon.shtml

I don't honestly think Steve is worried about Vista copying Leopard...it would take Microsoft three months to schedule a meeting to discuss copying the features. I think this is the beginning of a lot of interesting announcements, none as mundane as eight processors in a MacPro
  • Reply 60 of 114
    I am really looking forward to March, when things really start to kick it up this year

Sebastian