ATI Radeon X2800XT with CrossFire rumored for Apple's next Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 167
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Codename R600XTX and product name X2800XT. I mean really.

Haha, at least they also use Dragons Head as noted under the picture.
  • Reply 42 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The mammoth red beast, measuring some 12.4-inch in length, is about 3-inches larger than the industry-leading [c][ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

.....that's what she said.

No, but in all seriousness, this is very very good. It indicates a closer tie to ATI (now a subsidiary of AMD). I wonder how Intel feels about Apple getting special treatment from AMD having graphics cards made exclusively for them...probably not too great. Good for consumers, might see an AMD Based Mac Mini with a real graphics card...who knows...one can dream.
  • Reply 43 of 167
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 8-core Xeon-based powerhouse would be the only system within the Mac maker's arsenal capable of adopting the new ATI card.

That makes no sense...

I hope this card will support directx10 if used in Parallels, or at least in boot camp!
  • Reply 44 of 167
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

That makes no sense...

I hope this card will support directx10 if used in Parallels, or at least in boot camp!

The thread with the 8800 in the Mac Pro, you can take advantage of directx10 in boot camp. There was a demo. So yes this should support it.

Wouldn't count on it in parallels since parallels has troubles with DX9. VMware has a demo of DX8.1 running though.
  • Reply 45 of 167
    Is apple going to use amd chips? as intel exon chipsets suck

Will they be using this ati card and nforce pro? or ati new amd sever / workstation chip sets?
  • Reply 46 of 167
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I guess you are prophetic Vinea.

Quote:

let the whining about crossfire on a xeon box commence...

Quote:

Is apple going to use amd chips? as intel xeon chipsets suck

• Reply 47 of 167
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Heck it's the freakin least Apple can do for Adobe! Especially since we all saw how quickly Adobe was to step up to the plate when it came to the Mac-Intel transit.... errrrr never-mind

D

heh - yeah.

And what was the last pro app to fiiinaaallly get ported to OS X ?

Anyone remember ?

Hell, even Quark was quicker !
  • Reply 48 of 167
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Will they be using this ati card and nforce pro? or ati new amd sever / workstation chip sets?

I'm actually kind of surprised at this article. Apple hasn't been known to run chipsets for 1 Rev. If Crossfire is being added to the system they will in deed need to change the chipset. Should be interesting, and a first in a long time.
  • Reply 49 of 167
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

LOL! What more could you want! I know what you're going to say.... SLI... but really it's either SLI or Crossfire. ATI and Apple have always been buddies for some unknown reason. Probably because NVidia hasn't been around as long... ie 3dfx being bought by nvidia.

What I meant was Apps. Typically Apple ones. I'd like to see Apple's Application demos of them taking advantage of all these cores, and some utilizing of programmable Graphics processors, and all that good Core Video, Core Audio, Core Image stuff. Showing side by side performance advantages of what a Mac is capable of if your smart enough to develop for it, and take advantage of these Xcode programmable features.
  • Reply 50 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That is why puff_the_pessimist_dragon is often ignored...
  • Reply 51 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I'm actually kind of surprised at this article. Apple hasn't been known to run chipsets for 1 Rev. If Crossfire is being added to the system they will in deed need to change the chipset. Should be interesting, and a first in a long time.

That's the unbelievalbe part of the story. Like you said, Apple's been know to use the same Motherboard for more than 1 revision of a Mac product.

Ohh and found these rumored specs for the various models of the X2800XT series of graphcs cards http://forums.ocworkbench.com/bbs/sh...d.php?p=405794
  • Reply 52 of 167
    If apple where to start using this card why a not a a system with ddr2 ecc as that is better for gaming. May they can start uses AMD / ATI 4x4 system with DDR2 and lots of pci-e lanes and have a better system that can use more ddr2 ecc ram and Opteron x2000 cpus.

Is apple just using AMD video cards or there plans to use more amd stuff.
  • Reply 53 of 167
    Quote:

If apple where to start using this card why a not a a system with ddr2 ecc as that is better for gaming. May they can start uses AMD / ATI 4x4 system with DDR2 and lots of pci-e lanes and have a better system that can use more ddr2 ecc ram and Opteron x2000 cpus.

Is apple just using AMD video cards or there plans to use more amd stuff.

ECC isn't better for gaming - in fact, it may actually be worse (if not by much) as it forces error checks that could add a bit of latency to the equation.

Also, don't read too much into the mention of AMD. Since AMD owns ATI, Apple doesn't have much of a choice if it wants graphics from someone other than NVIDIA.
  • Reply 54 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

ECC isn't better for gaming - in fact, it may actually be worse (if not by much) as it forces error checks that could add a bit of latency to the equation.

Also, don't read too much into the mention of AMD. Since AMD owns ATI, Apple doesn't have much of a choice if it wants graphics from someone other than NVIDIA.

Well ECC better for games then FB-dimms are. Also ECC ram uses less power then FB-dimms as well. Can AMD 4x4 system use 4 ram sticks per cpu? Was it cut down to 2 to make it fit in a smaller cases?
  • Reply 55 of 167
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I made the same prophecy at DSL Reports. We even mocked up an iMac with this new ATI card sitting on top of it so the videocard nuts could "swap it out". We did, however, forget to put in the second PCIe slot and the 15 USB ports that the upgraders are clamoring for.
  • Reply 56 of 167
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

That is why puff_the_pessimist_dragon is often ignored...

I'm not permitted to ignore anybody.

I am still waiting for the Holy Grail, the "decent" video card. I think according to the video card crowd, it does not exist.
  • Reply 57 of 167
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Only by the metric of PCIe lanes, and the last time I've seen any one compare them, the difference between x8 and x16 was often nothing up to at most 5%.
  • Reply 58 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Only by the metric of PCIe lanes, and the last time I've seen any one compare them, the difference between x8 and x16 was often nothing up to at most 5%.

No way Apple is gonna use anything AMD( well except Ati products ) now ... Intel is kicking after being handled by much smaller AMD for few years... so even if chipset/memory is somewhat weaker than AMD/nfcorce , Apple is gonna stick with Intel for awhile.

I really hope this rumor is true and will be released by NAB ( early April ). Cant wait to try After Effects with Nucleo plugin on OctoPro machine. After years of agony and pain , After Effects will be near real time after all , on that monster. YAY
  • Reply 59 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

snip

"The 8-core Xeon-based powerhouse would be the only system within the Mac maker's arsenal capable of adopting the new ATI card.

" snip

splain' why? I am really having a difficult time pushing the 4 cores on my pro now. How does 4-8 core determine what videocard you can use?

Unless Apple restricts the card to only 8 core mac pro systems via software.
  • Reply 60 of 167
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

splain' why? I am really having a difficult time pushing the 4 cores on my pro now. How does 4-8 core determine what videocard you can use?

Unless Apple restricts the card to only 8 core mac pro systems via software.

Only a snip - if it's true.

Who knows for sure at this early stage.

The number of cores should have nothing to do with it - you're right !

And that certainly does beg the question - IF that's the high end BTO what will be the standard card shipping in the OctoBeasts ?