Apple to re-enter the sub-notebook market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 248
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Dell holds around 15% of the world PC market, while Apple holds about 2.5% of the world PC market. Out of the billions of dollars Dell generates in revenue, they only generate around 30 to 40 million more in real profit than Apple.

I don't think that stretching the product line would result in less profit.

Dell is selling $500, and lesser products. Apple would simply charge more for the larger screen.

While it might bite slightly into the low end MBP, it would likely generate much more in sales that they would lose.

This has a twofold benefit for Apple. The first is that more machines would be sold. The second it that it generates a larger base for Apple's software. More retail OS sales, etc. That spreads the cost of the software development, and leads to much greater profitability for the software division, as software is not subject to the same manufacturing rules that hardware is.
  • Reply 22 of 248
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zadillo View Post

I really hope this isn't going to be like Sony's UX (which I believe you're referring to). In theory I think it's an awesome gadget, but in practice the screen is just too small, and the keyboard is practically useless for any extended typing. It is a neat "wow, look how small it is" gadget, but for what it ends up being useful for, it doesn't end up being much more useable than a PDA.

I'd much rather Apple do something more analagous to Sony's TX or G series. Very thin and lightweight, but still somewhat useable as an actual computer.

I can't agree with that one. Very few people have such large hands that typing on these machines is difficult. They are vastly better than a PDA.
  • Reply 23 of 248
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    C'mon, a small keyboard should be fine for even big fingered types, especially if Apple has innovated smarter keys ('a la iPhone software) that take out obvious errors! Also no one should expect to type War and Peace on these things ... they are for travel and ubermobility!

escher ... where is escher!

I personally see this as more of a small aluminum macbookpro rather than a macbook - so that the extra costs for flash memory make more sense.
  • Reply 24 of 248
    zadillo:

Yes, and no. The models you suggest are selling very briskly here in Japan, but so are the mini-mini Windows computers, hence the U series. The local shop has pre-orders numbering over 200, and I live in a rather local town; can only imagine what the orders are like up in the big cities.

I have used Clies for the past several years (PEG-UX50) and find the keyboard very easy to use; indeed, I typed 90% of 5 text books on one, including what turned into 7 hours of recorded listening material; I have the big hands that make typing on a normal Apple keyboard a real pain. The UX50's screen is a little too small- but it was aimed as a PDA, but I still think the new U series is the right item at the right time.

Both sizes have merit. The thumb-board type is usable standing on a train during rushhour, which makes it very appealing to millions of young, eager Japanese businessmen.

MacGregor:

if Apple is even considering flash-based memory, this has to be aimed at a high-end market as you are looking at 800 bucks for the flash memory deck.
  • Reply 25 of 248
    BTW:

Welcome to AI, zadillo!
  • Reply 26 of 248
    I miss my 2400 - please let this be real...
  • Reply 27 of 248
    vaio sz still lighter than any macbook or pro.

in fact. there's alot of notebook out there are slimmer and lighter than macbookz..

i think apple still didn't do well enuff for notebook.
  • Reply 28 of 248
    Good news. Roll it, Apple. I'll buy in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 29 of 248
    >As a first order of business, Apple got cracking on localized versions of its "Get a Mac" television ads, which were warmly received by both Japanese consumers and the local media.

. No way.

In Japanese culture, which puts emphasis on the humbleness, advertisements that critisize or attack their opposites are not welcomed.

In Japan, even political parties avoid such TV ads during campaigns!

Really, some Japanese hate the Get a Mac ads, and Apple is being laughed at, not because the CM is funny, but because the company does not notice such ads are not effective, or can result in an adverse result here.

I hope Apple notice soon that "localization" shall include more than just translation.
  • Reply 30 of 248
    jvcjvc Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Dual screen, with the second screen serving as a dual touch input interface that can be programmable?

Isn't that... a Nintendo DS?
  • Reply 31 of 248
    This is a little off topic, but you guys can probably stop mentioning in every single article that Apple is based in Cupertino. We don't need the filler; just the news, please. Article's already long enough.
  • Reply 32 of 248
    Nintendo DS? Not a chance. Have you seen the iPhone? Imagine taking it and making a mini notebook, just adding a larger and dedicated screen. Each app could have a specialized and user-defined keyboard. It could really speed things up. You could, of course, also use the "keyboard" as a screen, and have touch-sensity interactive apps.
  • Reply 33 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

This is a little off topic, but you guys can probably stop mentioning in every single article that Apple is based in Cupertino. We don't need the filler; just the news, please. Article's already long enough.

A "little" off topic? This belongs in the feedback section.
  • Reply 34 of 248
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    imagine the kind of space they would save if they got rid of the dvd drive.

seriously, that has to be the way of the future. with physical medium running dry in hte next 10 years, just imagine how thin and light notebooks would be without that drive a long with the optical already being taken out... geesh just imagine the possibilities
  • Reply 35 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

zadillo:

if Apple is even considering flash-based memory, this has to be aimed at a high-end market as you are looking at 800 bucks for the flash memory deck.

I was thinking the same thing. If this rumor is true, I suspect that either flash memory won't be a feature, or the model will be slipped into the Macbook Pro lineup - which would mean an upgrade for the 15" and 17" models to match.

Here's hoping for a screen-integrated iSight.
  • Reply 36 of 248
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Finally..

The 12" powerbook has been unrivaled for some time now when it comes to compact Apple notebooks. A macbook mini would be most welcome..
  • Reply 37 of 248
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I said I would be first to order but it looks like several people will beat me to it. So make that I will be in the first 100 to order.

Sign me up Mr. Steve Jobs.

Piss on the CD-Rom; piss on fast processors. Give me a ultra low voltage Core Duo at 1 GHz and call it a day!! I want a 10" widescreen and bring back the little red pointer in the middle of the keyboard for a mouse. I want that 10 hour battery life!

Smaller is better!
  • Reply 38 of 248
    my prediction for specs

core 2 duo 1.67ghz

1gb ram

32gb Flash drive (this might be split into two drives like typical Vaio notebooks)

no graphics card

10 inch wide screen

isight

2 USB, 1 FW400 (and maybe slots for memory cards)

Superdrive (probably not the DL)

LED based screen lighting

4 hr practical battery life (probably listed as "upto 7 hrs"

for the price of....$1999.

IT COSTS MORE TO STAY THIN. that's true for human beings as well as gadgets.
  • Reply 39 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenkaise View Post

>As a first order of business, Apple got cracking on localized versions of its "Get a Mac" television ads, which were warmly received by both Japanese consumers and the local media.

. No way.

In Japanese culture, which puts emphasis on the humbleness, advertisements that critisize or attack their opposites are not welcomed.

In Japan, even political parties avoid such TV ads during campaigns!

Really, some Japanese hate the Get a Mac ads, and Apple is being laughed at, not because the CM is funny, but because the company does not notice such ads are not effective, or can result in an adverse result here.

I hope Apple notice soon that "localization" shall include more than just translation.

They're seen as too arrogant by some here too.
  • Reply 40 of 248
    Wow, it really sounds like Apple really has a lot of cool stuff coming up this year. In fact that was confirmed to me by an apple insider recently. When the computer worlds tends to go flat, Apple is always excited to re-engineer things. The best way to think about Apple in my opinion is: Apple bring integrated solutions for your digital life. If you think about it you will realize that they are not just into a piece of hardware, but into solutions that help digitalizing and improving your lifestyle. You can tell by the way their product is integrated and communicate with each other. And after dropping the word computer from their name, I am convinced that it means something serious...

I can't wait for the announcement that they have coming up next week.

-------------------

http://www.mostofmymac.com