Apple to re-enter the sub-notebook market

Comments

• Reply 101 of 248
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    You don't need DVDs to watch video while you travel. Get a utility like Mac the Ripper or Handbrake, and rip your DVDs to your computer. A two hour movie can be stored in a file that is less than 1GB and is of a reasonable quality. Once you've ripped your movies (or TV shows), archive the files on DVD-R or an external hard drive (you know, the one that you will need to use Time Machine) so that you don't have to hold hundreds of hours of video on your notebook. Before you go on a trip, load any video that you would like to watch while you're away to your notebook's hard drive. And as an added bonus, you don't have to carry a bunch of DVDs around with you. Do you carry CDs around because you want to listen to music? Then why would you do so for video? Optical drives on portable devices are completely unnecessary.
  • Reply 102 of 248
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I have to believe that Jobs & Co have something clever in mind for this thing and some way to tie iPod into it... what if the device had only a small internal flash drive, say 8 GB. What about then using iPod and it's 30-80 GB hard drive for other storage? Could they bring firewire back to iPod and maybe beef up the little hard drive to handle the increased workload? For long flights you could use iPod as your iTunes library and not require a DVD drive on the laptop to watch movies. Maybe iTunes 8 will have a better ability to use iPod as the source for media, rather than just as a peripheral device with which to sync. A huge advantage to this would be that iPod has its own battery, and as such would not detract from the subnotebook's battery life.

A lot of ideas in one block paragraph. Apologies, but its all only half thought out.

Oh, and if this thing is for real, I really want the ability to hook up to a projector for presentations without having to remember that stupid dongle adapter thing that I must use with my iBook.
  • Reply 103 of 248
    ok heres my input on this subnotebook:

if apple releases a tablet of anytime, it will be incorperated in this machine, they want to give a reason for people to buy their subnotebook over sony, and do something not done in the mainstream (Think Different). that being said, the form factor, i believe, will be clamshell style, and the screen will be able to fold all the way back to rest againt the bottom of the notebook, so it can be used as a tablet. or, apple could just leave the tablet stuff out and just go for a really solid product, that does its simple job really really well without any new features, just to get their feet wet again in this product space again (but i still think they want the wow)

price point will be at least $1899 US dollars, there needs to be a spread between the macbooks, and flash memory is pretty expensive.

as features go, i believe apple will make them pretty impressive, as apple aims for the "wow" everytime.

processor: 1.66 or 1.33 ghz (remember, its a subnotebook)

RAM: 1gb

GPU: GMA 3000

HD: Flash 32 Gb

battery: longer than you expect (for some reason, i have this idea in my head that apple has been working on amazing battery tech behind the scenes...)

just to keep this clear also, people may recall my posts on previous threads saying no way will there be a 13" or 12" MBP. for the record, this is a subnotebook, not a PB 12" replacement or sucessor, its a different animal in and of itself
  • Reply 104 of 248
    With timemachine being tweeked so that a subnote book could be picked up and have all 1st level apps and files onboard and current and an index that would enable it to reach back and grab additional files from afar this could be positioned as a must have accessery to every desktop sold.

Work from a 8 core or whatever suits you, mini to iMac, with dual 30"s and be able to walk away with a sub 24oz. object the size of a spiral notebook with all the implied capacities we know they can offer.
  • Reply 105 of 248
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Oh man have I wanted something like this!

If this came out I'd sell my mbp on ebay and grab one of these and a 20-24" imac, I'd be big pimpin!
  • Reply 106 of 248
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

The exclusion of an optical drive is deal breaker for me since this would be the laptop I use on flights across the country and I need to be able to watch DVD's!

I watch lots of movies and shows on the go and during lunchtime at work with my 12" PB. I can't remember the last time I actually played one from a DVD. Come into the 21st century. Even lowly video iPods can play back 640x480 files, which I defy anyone to distinguish from DVD quality on an 11" high-resolution screen. I rip to h.264 myself when I need a movie on the go. 700MB for two hours, no noticeable quality loss, unlike DivX or Xvid.
  • Reply 107 of 248
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    I would love it if this were a tablet-sized iPhone, running OS X with MultiTouch, with voip.
  • Reply 108 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

The exclusion of an optical drive is deal breaker for me since this would be the laptop I use on flights across the country and I need to be able to watch DVD's!

Running an optical drive has a massive impact on battery consumption. As so many other people have said.. rip to iTunes and watch your movies from there.

sthiede:

Quote:

battery: longer than you expect (for some reason, i have this idea in my head that apple has been working on amazing battery tech behind the scenes...)

I really wish that was true, but the iPhone battery specs don't really indicate that they are any more advanced than anyone else. All they can do is optimise power management in the OS, they are still limited to the same existing battery hardware as everyone else. It's just a good job that XP and Vistas power management sucks so Apple appear to have better performance!
  • Reply 109 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stef View Post

I would love it if this were a tablet-sized iPhone, running OS X with MultiTouch, with voip.

Would you really want your phone to be tablet sized? That would suck! The iPhone will support "desktop class applications". To me that says Skype and other VoIP applications currently running on OS X will be supported. I just don't think Apple will spell that out too much and annoy their carriers.
  • Reply 110 of 248
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Extract from the article:

Sounds very interesting.

Yes, it does. But, we will still have to wait another year until these new memory types begin to be available. There is nothing being manufactured now that is suitable.
  • Reply 111 of 248
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    There is always the chance the information is being twisted/exagerated and we are really just talking about a 13.3" MacBook Pro which would naturally be thinner and lighter than it's 13.3" MacBook companion.
  • Reply 112 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

There is always the chance the information is being twisted/exagerated and we are really just talking about a 13.3" MacBook Pro which would naturally be thinner and lighter than it's 13.3" MacBook companion.

It's very possible. hiow many times in the past three years have we had "certain" rumoer of this type?

I remember participating in more than one thread like this here.

But, just like that million monkeys trying out the works of Shakespeare, some rumors come true simply because there are so many of them, and because they are all over the place.
  • Reply 113 of 248
    Hey there everyone,

First off, I'm pretty excited about this new subnotebook. I know it's not "official" yet, but it does seem to be a fairly concrete rumor.

I was wondering what you all think the specs/price will be. So far we've had I think 3 people give spec predictions, and only about 2 people give a price prediction (around $1999 I think was said).

Personally I'd rather have a slightly heavier, slightly larger notebook with discrete graphics (I.e. the oft-rumored 12" MBP), but something like this would be great as well, though I am 90% certain that it won't have discrete graphics. Hopefully we'll get the new GMA x3000 instead of the 950 though, that would be nice.

I would hope to see it for $1700, but I expect more like $2100.

I would hope for 2 GB RAM, but I'm expecting 512MB or maybe 1 GB.

I think I'd prefer a Hard Drive with some Flash Memory, but so long as I've got at least 30 GB left over for my stuff after Leopard and iLife are on there, it won't be a big deal to me. Honestly I'm not all that well read on this subject, so I don't have a good opinion.

I'd guess 11.1" screen, similar to the Sony TX series.

I would hope to see the Core 2 Duo processor here, with the Santa Rosa upgrade that's coming in April, but if its to be a "true" subnotebook then we'll probably see a ULV processor. What's the best one of those out there now?

Anyway, I wanted to know what everyone else thought.
  • Reply 114 of 248
    The general consensus of this thread seems to be that there'll be less than 32g of flash memory in there. That makes no sense to me at all! Apple has regularly stressed how media is such a huge focus of their efforts. with 32g you can't use it for media. That wouldn't hold my songs alone, not to mention movies, pictures, etc... The macbook only comes as low as 60g. Hell, even the appleTV comes with 40g and that's just an accessory. If flash is really going to continue to be as expensive as everyone says, i think this'll have ab 80g hard drive. I know, someone will respond quickly to say that a subnotebook is an accessory too, but I respectfully and vigorously disagree. I know MANY students who want a sub-notebook (which, yes, is just a smaller notebook, NOT a whole new breed or whatever someone above said) for all of their computing needs.
  • Reply 115 of 248
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

C'mon, a small keyboard should be fine for even big fingered types, especially if Apple has innovated smarter keys ('a la iPhone software) that take out obvious errors! Also no one should expect to type War and Peace on these things ... they are for travel and ubermobility!

escher ... where is escher!

I personally see this as more of a small aluminum macbookpro rather than a macbook - so that the extra costs for flash memory make more sense.

Believe it or not, I spotted Escher over here!
  • Reply 116 of 248
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Why is the discussion between HD or Flash memory. No way is Flash memory enough for a Mac. Maybe it will have 16 gigs of flash, but it needs 100 gigs of storage for music, etc. This would be a Mac for pete's sake.

Why not have a mix of memories, sort of a multi-memory hydrid using an as of yet unannounced core technology called CoreMemory that uses RAM, Flash, HD in an optimised way so that it simulated the "always on" feel without running power and cost out the window. It would be the next big "multi-" thing after multi-processors, multi-threading and mulit-cores.

Also I could see the dual screen clamshell with one side being an iPhone like situation with virtual keyboard and .... hey .... MULTI-TOUCH!?!? This is the Year of the Multi-Everything!!

Anyway ... I have regular sized hands I think and a keyboard that only had QWERTY with no numbers or function keys until you hit a "numbers/function" button ('a la the iPhone keyboard) that remapped the keyboard to those, could comfortable reside in an 8" diagonal wide-screen rectangle. It would be plenty big for 95% of what you need a keyboard to do and would support a 9-10" screen on the top of the clamshell. All in about 0.5" thick and you have the subnotebook I would be interested in purchasing. The size and weight of a paperback book, the PocketMac!!!

It could also do almost anything a tablet could do.
  • Reply 117 of 248
    Quote:

Why is the discussion between HD or Flash memory. No way is Flash memory enough for a Mac. Maybe it will have 16 gigs of flash, but it needs 100 gigs of storage for music, etc. This would be a Mac for pete's sake.

Why not have a mix of memories, sort of a multi-memory hydrid using an as of yet unannounced core technology called CoreMemory that uses RAM, Flash, HD in an optimised way so that it simulated the "always on" feel without running power and cost out the window. It would be the next big "multi-" thing after multi-processors, multi-threading and mulit-cores.

Also I could see the dual screen clamshell with one side being an iPhone like situation with virtual keyboard and .... hey .... MULTI-TOUCH!?!? This is the Year of the Multi-Everything!!

Anyway ... I have regular sized hands I think and a keyboard that only had QWERTY with no numbers or function keys until you hit a "numbers/function" button ('a la the iPhone keyboard) that remapped the keyboard to those, could comfortable reside in an 8" diagonal wide-screen rectangle. It would be plenty big for 95% of what you need a keyboard to do and would support a 9-10" screen on the top of the clamshell. All in about 0.5" thick and you have the subnotebook I would be interested in purchasing. The size and weight of a paperback book, the PocketMac!!!

a lot of people (including me) like tactile response when im typing.

as for someone else above who was disagreeing we me about a sub-notebook being different from what the 12" powerbook was:

-one is a more compact professional portable

-one is a highly compact and mobile on-the-go machine, not expected to do everything a desktop or other laptops for that matter can do.

the first of which is the 12" pb, the latter is what this rumor is discussing. so people complaining about flash not being large enough to hold music libraries and other media, one its not suppoesed to, and two, um hello ipod? also, this by no means should operate as a person's sole computer, well at least not without external hd, and other accesories. there are sacrifices for portability.
  • Reply 118 of 248
    While I can see the exclusion of the optical drive useful for conserving battery, this does come at a disadvantage:

- How do you install software that is on a CD/DVD?

- How do you reinstall the OS from its DVDs?

You would need to get an external drive to do both.
  • Reply 119 of 248
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

In December 2006, Toshiba released a 100 GB, 1.8" HD which they claim consumes 3mW per GB or 300 mW for the drive. I too think that a combination of flash and hard drives will show up.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2006_12/pr0501.htm
  • Reply 120 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post

The general consensus of this thread seems to be that there'll be less than 32g of flash memory in there. That makes no sense to me at all! Apple has regularly stressed how media is such a huge focus of their efforts. with 32g you can't use it for media. That wouldn't hold my songs alone, not to mention movies, pictures, etc... The macbook only comes as low as 60g. Hell, even the appleTV comes with 40g and that's just an accessory. If flash is really going to continue to be as expensive as everyone says, i think this'll have ab 80g hard drive. I know, someone will respond quickly to say that a subnotebook is an accessory too, but I respectfully and vigorously disagree. I know MANY students who want a sub-notebook (which, yes, is just a smaller notebook, NOT a whole new breed or whatever someone above said) for all of their computing needs.

There are some people who are insisting that it will have 32 GB flash. But, that's only because they think it's really cool, and really, really, want it.