Briefly: Apple UK blunder hints at Mac Pro update

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A slip-up on Apple's UK online store has revealed that a Mac Pro workstation with 8 cores of processing power is inching closer to a release.

"Now quad-core or 8-core processing power," read a caption next to the company's existing Mac Pro offering. "Configure yours today."

The blooper corroborates an exclusive AppleInsider report from last October which first laid out the Mac maker's plans for an 8-core Mac Pro.

Although development of the system was reported to have wrapped up some time ago, Apple has thus far decided to defer the release until closer to the launch of Adobe's Creative Suite 3.0 (CS3) software bundle.

Sales of the current Mac Pro have been slow from the get-go, as Apple's creative professional user base has largely deferred purchasing the new Intel systems while they await native software support in CS3.

The new Mac Pro, people familiar with the systems have said, will achieve 8-core status through the adoption of two Intel quad-core Xeon 5300 series "Clovertown" chips.

On Monday, Apple's UK store offered evidence of an impending 8-core Mac Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 155
    Give it two weeks and I reckon these things'll be out.
  • Reply 2 of 155
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Same design?!
  • Reply 3 of 155
    Regarding the design: why change something that is perfect?
  • Reply 4 of 155
    What's wrong with the enclosure?

I for one am really glad they didn't slim it down for the Intel transition, because instead of making it smaller, they've just gutted it and packed it full of awesome features.

I'd love a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 5 of 155
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    My guess is there will be an 8-core option on Tuesday. I'm just not sure which one.
  • Reply 6 of 155
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    The Apple store in the UK is DOWN!"!!!!11111!!!!

OMG!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Democaster. View Post

What's wrong with the enclosure?

I for one am really glad they didn't slim it down for the Intel transition, because instead of making it smaller, they've just gutted it and packed it full of awesome features.

I'd love a Mac Pro.

they need a better chip set with more pci-e lanes.
  • Reply 8 of 155
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

The Apple store in the UK is DOWN!"!!!!11111!!!!

OMG!!!!

Maybe to remove the error?
  • Reply 9 of 155
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    These "leaks" seem to happen quite often with Apple's web sites.
  • Reply 10 of 155
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    All these leaks are done on purpose. What I really want it's new hardware, as in new MacBook Pro or new iMac.
  • Reply 11 of 155
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    It's tuesday tomorrow...
  • Reply 12 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Maybe to remove the error?

Why would they take the entire store down to correct the error? They didn't need to shut it down to make the error. You don't take down a web site to change a graphic. When they take down there store it means there's a product release.
  • Reply 13 of 155
    Hmm, maybe these'll be out today then...
  • Reply 14 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Democaster. View Post

Hmm, maybe these'll be out today then...

It is actually Tuesday over there now.
  • Reply 15 of 155
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It is actually Tuesday over there now.

So what was the price of Mac Pro in UK before the error ? 1699 UK for lower end ( quad core ) seems unbelievably expensive.... i mean Intel is NOT charging Apple same price for dual core they were in August yet it seems they're gonna charge the same ....

Unless lower end is going to jump from q2.0Ghz to q2.66Ghz , then q3.0Ghz $200 upgrade and octo 2.6ghz $800 upgrade. ( i just hope Apple doesnt give us 2.33Ghz octo , that would suck )
  • Reply 16 of 155
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

So what was the price of Mac Pro in UK before the error ? 1699 UK for lower end ( quad core ) seems unbelievably expensive.... i mean Intel is NOT charging Apple same price for dual core they were in August yet it seems they're gonna charge the same ....

Unless lower end is going to jump from q2.0Ghz to q2.66Ghz , then q3.0Ghz $200 upgrade and octo 2.6ghz $800 upgrade. ( i just hope Apple doesnt give us 2.33Ghz octo , that would suck )

I dunno if you're from the UK but there's vat and all kinds of stuff that makes their prices seem crazy, that makes it hard to tell what prices will e like over here in north america.
  • Reply 17 of 155
    Yes, we have VAT to take into account and all sorts of other things such as conversion rate.

As a comparison, here's some other price differences so you can see how the price tends to differ:

iPod Shuffle: $79, £55

Entry level iMac: $999, £679

Entry level MacBook: $1099, £749

Black MacBook: $1499, £999

MacBook Pro 17": $2799, £1899

Mac Pro: £2499, £1699

As you can see, in the case of the high end machines, it's only marginally less expensive than, say, flying to America and buying the stuff in person.
  • Reply 18 of 155
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    I'd love a Mac Pro too. I don't care about 8 cores though, I'm just waiting for a better vid. card.
  • Reply 19 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

All these leaks are done on purpose.

Carefully leaked rumors make up an important part the Apple marketing engine.

This is one Apple conspiracy theory that I do adhere to.
  • Reply 20 of 155
    This really kind of makes me think they'll be out tomorrow. Leaks like this are usually followed quickly by the product release. They're prepping and testing the new page after all.