Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace

Comments

• Reply 221 of 283
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

You're thinking of Minimalism.

Industrial design, according to the Industrial Design Society of America, is "the professional service of creating and developing concepts and specifications that optimize the function, value and appearance of products and systems for the mutual benefit of both user and manufacturer." Rather than a particular style or ideology, industrial design is an entire field.

Yes it is. I was describing the practical effects of that field on design. The result of that design philosophy is generally what I described.

Florid designs, even if appreciated by the customer, would not be called "industrial design".

As has been pointed out above, the Mac Pro is a good example of industrial design. The design is practical. It does what it is supposed to do without any flourishes that aren't required. While that doesn't mean that the design can't also be attractive, it does mean that the attractiveness doesn't, by itself, change the effectiveness, or overall nature of the design for decorative purposes.

A good example of non-industrial design would be the cases made by Alien.
  • Reply 222 of 283
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    I just want a desktop that:

* has a desktop motherboard, chipset and architecture, not a laptop one

* can take 4GB or more of RAM

* is at least dual or quad core

* can take 2 or more 3.5" HD drives

* can easily have it's optical drive swapped out

* has a decent, upgradeable graphics card. Maybe a spare PCI slot too.

* can drive 2 external monitors minimum

..and here's the killer..

* is made by Apple and does not require me to re-mortgage the house in order to afford it, (like the Mac Pro).
  • Reply 223 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes it is. I was describing the practical effects of that field on design. The result of that design philosophy is generally what I described.

Florid designs, even if appreciated by the customer, would not be called "industrial design".

As has been pointed out above, the Mac Pro is a good example of industrial design. The design is practical. It does what it is supposed to do without any flourishes that aren't required. While that doesn't mean that the design can't also be attractive, it does mean that the attractiveness doesn't, by itself, change the effectiveness, or overall nature of the design for decorative purposes.

A good example of non-industrial design would be the cases made by Alien.

Respectfully, you're completely wrong here.

Alien, for example, puts out products. These are designed. These are, therefore, industrial designs. In fact, a quick perusal of their website reveals a listing for none other than an industrial designer.

Just like the field of painting is more than, say, Cubism; and the field of graphic design is more than Art Nouveau; industrial design is more than Minimalism.
  • Reply 224 of 283
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

* is made by Apple and does not require me to re-mortgage the house in order to afford it, (like the Mac Pro).

For the time being you're going to have to re-mortgage your house.
  • Reply 225 of 283
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

For the time being you're going to have to re-mortgage your house.

I hear the rates are attractive.
  • Reply 226 of 283
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

<snip>

$2000 is too much money for you to spend on a computer?
  • Reply 227 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

what about finger prints on a 24" display?

Agreed.

I don't really see the point of touch screen on anything but a handheld device. I'll be happy to be proved wrong though

As for this new iMac talk it really has me drooling!

Although I can't for the life of me justify buying one
  • Reply 228 of 283
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

Agreed.

I don't really see the point of touch screen on anything but a handheld device. I'll be happy to be proved wrong though

I'm not calling you an idiot, so let's get that straight first. Any idiot would know that Apple is well aware making a desktop screen a touchscreen is absolutely impractical. People need the screen to be at about 85º so they don't strain thier necks looking down at it, and people also want to keep their hands on the desk cause is more user frinedly because you don't have to raise your hands up to the screen the whole time, very tiring that would be. The only reason that desktop computers will continue to flurish is because a certain amount of people will continue to need a big screen that laptops can't provide. I still remain adamant that the future of desktop computing is big screens and touchscreen keyboards that can display anything. Maybe it will start of a a multi-touch keyboard screen that replaces the current keyboard and mouse, and at a point in the future you'll be able to take that keyboard round the house and continue to work, only coming back to the screen when you need that big screen again, which would probably be most of the time you're on the computer.

I still think Apple's next step for desktop computing will be a keyboard that replace the mouse and keyboard.
  • Reply 229 of 283
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

I'm not calling you an idiot, so let's get that straight first. Any idiot would know that Apple is well aware making a desktop screen a touchscreen is absolutely impractical. People need the screen to be at about 85º so they don't strain thier necks looking down at it, and people also want to keep their hands on the desk cause is more user frinedly because you don't have to raise your hands up to the screen the whole time, very tiring that would be. The only reason that desktop computers will continue to flurish is because a certain amount of people will continue to need a big screen that laptops can't provide. I still remain adamant that the future of desktop computing is big screens and touchscreen keyboards that can display anything. Maybe it will start of a a multi-touch keyboard screen that replaces the current keyboard and mouse, and at a point in the future you'll be able to take that keyboard round the house and continue to work, only coming back to the screen when you need that big screen again, which would probably be most of the time you're on the computer.

I still think Apple's next step for desktop computing will be a keyboard that replace the mouse and keyboard.

Why dosen't apple have an economic ergonomic keyboard. I have wanting a Kinesis Advantage USB for quite a while. Apple should buy them and make a Ergo Pro version of their keyboards.
  • Reply 230 of 283
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Why dosen't apple have an economic ergonomic keyboard. I have wanting a Kinesis Advantage USB for quite a while. Apple should buy them and make a Ergo Pro version of their keyboards.
  • Reply 231 of 283
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

$2000 is too much money for you to spend on a computer?

Where is this $2000 Mac Pro? I couldn't find it.

The lowest I could configure a Mac Pro down to would be $2121.00 and that's without a monitor (which will tack on another $700). For home use, I agree that that's just a tad pricey.

Don't get me wrong. I love Apple's products, but I wish like hell they would offer a low-end tower option. My next Mac will probably be an iMac, but I'd rather get something a little more expandable, something that's going to last a little longer. There's really no reason a low-end tower Mac shouldn't exist.
  • Reply 232 of 283
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    (double post -- removed)
  • Reply 233 of 283
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

There's really no reason a low-end tower Mac shouldn't exist.

I am sure Apple has a reason, but you're right, there should be a low-end tower. Apple used to have a pro tower that was $1,599 back in the Power Mac G4 days. Even that's pricey, but it would be a start! I think they should return to this price target, esp. considering they are on the same playing field as everyone else!
  • Reply 234 of 283
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I am sure Apple has a reason, but you're right, there should be a low-end tower. Apple used to have a pro tower that was $1,599 back in the Power Mac G4 days. Even that's pricey, but it would be a start! I think they should return to this price target, esp. considering they are on the same playing field as everyone else!

Even though I would like for Apple to offer more for less, if you look at the prices when I bought my G4 466 (DA) and compare them to what is being offered today on the Mac Pro, then you are getting more for the same when factoring in inflation.---SEE BELOW---- A G4 466 (DA) at 5 percent inflation rate would be in today's money about $2300. And compare the Mac Pro 3.0 GHz to the G4 733MHz. 2001 dollars ($3499) to 2007 dollars ($3298). Even at a 3 percent inflation rate, the $3499 is about $4200 in todays dollars. "What a deal I'm offering you" says Steve Jobs.

That being said, that still doesn't mean that I also wouldn't like to have more for less and have a low end tower.

Quote:

The PowerMac G4 (DA) shipped in four configurations: The 466 MHz configuration included 128 MB of RAM and 30 GB hard drive, for $1699. The 533 MHz configuration included 128 MB of RAM and a 40 GB hard drive for $2199 ($2499 for the dual-533 model). The 667 MHz configuration included 256 MB of RAM and a 60 GB hard drive for $2799. Finally, the 733 MHz configuration included 256 MB of RAM, a 60 GB hard drive for $3499..

• Reply 235 of 283
    dappledapple Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Which enables backward compatibility: multitouch monitor screen or multitouch portable pad?
  • Reply 236 of 283
    Quote:

Amen.

Add to that a small-energy efficient box with raid capability to hang on the network to benefit Time Machine. External drives hooked up by usb don't seem to fit the easy philosophy, and internal backups are only safe in the "oops I made a mistake" sense, obviously.
  • Reply 237 of 283
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

Amen.

Add to that a small-energy efficient box with raid capability to hang on the network to benefit Time Machine. External drives hooked up by usb don't seem to fit the easy philosophy, and internal backups are only safe in the "oops I made a mistake" sense, obviously.

You mean a Xserve RAID home-edition hooked on an Airport Extreme N, or something like that?

It will be hooked up by USB2 then.
  • Reply 238 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

You mean a Xserve RAID home-edition hooked on an Airport Extreme N, or something like that?

It will be hooked up by USB2 then.

usb2 should be fast enough for most purposes, at least for backup, but it could be hooked up to one of the wired ethernet ports, raid means something more like a computer than an external enclosure anyway.
  • Reply 239 of 283
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

usb2 should be fast enough for most purposes, at least for backup, but it could be hooked up to one of the wired ethernet ports, raid means something more like a computer than an external enclosure anyway.

That's usually the case, but it doesn't have to be, RAID is more a set of algorithms than a type of box, type of connection or type of drive.

There are network attached storage (NAS) appliances that do various forms of RAID, and some of them allow expansion through external drives. I think the Buffalo Terastation uses has four USB2 jacks intended for adding more drives.
  • Reply 240 of 283
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Is this LED-backlit panel destined for the next iMac rev?