Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace

Comments

• Reply 161 of 283
    ibertibert Posts: 1member
    hey, i agree with what you're saying with the imacs having a touchscreen, i just don't see how they could make it work. i do like the idea of them creating a sub-notebook(something business oriented) with touch screens much like the iphone was demonstrated with. but, i just guess will have to see come june.
  • Reply 162 of 283
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dutchbjr View Post

Through all the furious waiting and angerment i have been through now i think that waiting always ends up being the best thing.

Of course, that way you keep your wallet really safe.

Joking aside, it seems you are lucky to have waited so long. But before final judgment, let's first see how the rumor is materialized. Having two independent(?) sources to report the upcoming overhaul is rather reassuring.
  • Reply 163 of 283
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

I just don't get it, why use a card reader when you can directly connect your camera to your computer??

For those of us who have an older generation digital camera (I own a Canon G3) a USB2 card reader is much faster at downloading photos than the camera's USB1 connection.
  • Reply 164 of 283
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

For those of us who have an older generation digital camera (I own a Canon G3) a USB2 card reader is much faster at downloading photos than the camera's USB1 connection.

Plus you don't drain the camera batteries in the process.
  • Reply 165 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post

I agree, though a second internal drive dedicated to Time Machine may be the only solution for people who won't use external drives or do sufficient backups for various reasons and excuses. Those of us using external drives could find other uses for it or choose not to get one if it were optional (preferably).

Maybe Apple will have more to offer "home" users storage-wise than just the AE's new AirPort Disk that we won't know about until Leopard and Time Machine are released though I kind of doubt it.

My whole thinking on the second internal drive for Time Machine is just simplicity, the whole Apple "It just works" philosophy.

What's more Apple-like?

1) You buy an iMac with 2 internal drives and Time Machine backs up to the 2nd drive automatically.

2) You buy an iMac with 1 internal drive and then need to buy an external hard drive to use Time Machine.

Option 2) reminds me of the one Apple vs. Mac computer where the PC can't do any work because all of its other parts are scattered in different boxes.
  • Reply 166 of 283
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Apple vs. Mac? Lol, I get what you mean, though...

Sure, if they offer secondary HDD's in the iMac, I'd be the last one to complain.
  • Reply 167 of 283
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Backing up to a hard drive that is internal to the computer is silly. While it protects you from a corrupt or failed hard drive it will not protect your data if the computer itself is stolen or destroyed.

People that don't back up their data risk losing that data. It only takes once for a huge data loss before people get it.
  • Reply 168 of 283
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Backing up to a hard drive that is internal to the computer is silly. While it protects you from a corrupt or failed hard drive it will not protect your data if the computer itself is stolen or destroyed.

People that don't back up their data risk losing that data. It only takes once for a huge data loss before people get it.

You are totally correct for a business, or for someone who has really important info that they absolutely need.

But most people don't have that level of concern. All they want is to be able to restore if the main drive goes down.

Conversely, if the backup drive goes down, they would have to replace that.

I always recommend that people back up documents, keychains, and media, such as an iTunes library, to DVD.
  • Reply 169 of 283
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    I tend to think that the need to back up your data is universal. Backup is one of those things that appeals to the paranoid who don't want to lose data and sadly is a tough lesson to those who are careless with their data.

It's fairly trivial to add a FW or USB external hard drive so that Time Machine may do it's duty. If people can't be bothered to do that then they certainly aren't going to utilize two internal hard drives effectively IMO.
  • Reply 170 of 283
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

My whole thinking on the second internal drive for Time Machine is just simplicity, the whole Apple "It just works" philosophy.

Exactly. Even if it's not the optimal solution a second internal hard drive could increase awareness of the importance of backups, something that's remained sadly underemphasized for too long (IMO). [edit: darn you other guys for posting before me!]
  • Reply 171 of 283
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

And I think many (most?) PDAs, smartphones, etc. still only support USB1. Synching my Palm TX internal RAM with USB1 would be acceptable (although I use WiFi instead) but transferring data to/from its SD card is normally too slow so I use a SD reader/writer for that (e.g. complete backups to ZIP archives are fast and easy).
  • Reply 172 of 283
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You are totally correct for a business, or for someone who has really important info that they absolutely need.

But most people don't have that level of concern. All they want is to be able to restore if the main drive goes down.

Conversely, if the backup drive goes down, they would have to replace that.

I always recommend that people back up documents, keychains, and media, such as an iTunes library, to DVD.

Quote:

I tend to think that the need to back up your data is universal. Backup is one of those things that appeals to the paranoid who don't want to lose data and sadly is a tough lesson to those who are careless with their data.

It's fairly trivial to add a FW or USB external hard drive so that Time Machine may do it's duty. If people can't be bothered to do that then they certainly aren't going to utilize two internal hard drives effectively IMO.

Quote:

I kinda agree with both of you, and I think the people that truly understand backing up are those that have suffered. Typical of humans ... But we can manage the risks.

It is important to reiterate as some of y'all have done that backing up has both a TIME and SPACE component to it. That is, when stuff is backed up, and WHERE (physical location) it is backed up to. And WHERE the backup is.

My approach in advising others is always :: Internet/ .Mac/ GoogleMail [yes] for critical, frequent backup items. iPods also. External hard disk for overall backups, 1-4 times a month, depending on need. The External Hard Disk should normally be AWAY from your main computer, that is, physically located AS FAR AS POSSIBLE from the main computer.

While an internal drive is an interesting idea, it would be better implemented as a "slot" solution. Kinda like loading magazines in a rifle (yeah, I've been playing GhostRecon: AdvancedWarfighter recently) -- Slot in, does the backup, slot out when travelling, transfer, moving to a different location (at least a different part of the house, or house instead of work for example). An innie-outie hard drive, so to speak.

But in this case archive and off-site, DVDs to the job pretty well, and the slot-in slot-out function.

Like investing, managing diet, etc, kinda food-pyramid scheme, where Internet and iPod at the bottom with most frequent and nearest the computer, to external hard drive less frequent and try to keep in another room at least (fires, theft, etc.), to DVDs as the top of the pyramid, least frequent, for archiving purposes, and IDEALLY going OFFSITE.
  • Reply 173 of 283
    I'm somewhat inspired to make a graph of different approaches to backing up as IMHO ... with two axes - frequency (time), and distance (from main data), and maybe a 3rd axis, ease-of-use, for example. But gotta kinda save my energy for this Apple reseller internship I'm doing at the moment.
  • Reply 174 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I kinda agree with both of you, and I think the people that truly understand backing up are those that have suffered. Typical of humans ... But we can manage the risks.

It is important to reiterate as some of y'all have done that backing up has both a TIME and SPACE component to it. That is, when stuff is backed up, and WHERE (physical location) it is backed up to. And WHERE the backup is.

My approach in advising others is always :: Internet/ .Mac/ GoogleMail [yes] for critical, frequent backup items. iPods also. External hard disk for overall backups, 1-4 times a month, depending on need. The External Hard Disk should normally be AWAY from your main computer, that is, physically located AS FAR AS POSSIBLE from the main computer.

While an internal drive is an interesting idea, it would be better implemented as a "slot" solution. Kinda like loading magazines in a rifle (yeah, I've been playing GhostRecon: AdvancedWarfighter recently) -- Slot in, does the backup, slot out when travelling, transfer, moving to a different location (at least a different part of the house, or house instead of work for example). An innie-outie hard drive, so to speak.

But in this case archive and off-site, DVDs to the job pretty well, and the slot-in slot-out function.

Like investing, managing diet, etc, kinda food-pyramid scheme, where Internet and iPod at the bottom with most frequent and nearest the computer, to external hard drive less frequent and try to keep in another room at least (fires, theft, etc.), to DVDs as the top of the pyramid, least frequent, for archiving purposes, and IDEALLY going OFFSITE.

We can always dream about Apple implimenting hot pluggable drives.

As far as I'm concerned, they should do that for the Mac Pro.

But, I'd love to see one in the iMac. Push a button, the drive dismounts, and pops out a bit so you can remove it. Hot, hot, hot!!!
  • Reply 175 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm somewhat inspired to make a graph of different approaches to backing up as IMHO ... with two axes - frequency (time), and distance (from main data), and maybe a 3rd axis, ease-of-use, for example. But gotta kinda save my energy for this Apple reseller internship I'm doing at the moment.

A job!
  • Reply 176 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post

Exactly. Even if it's not the optimal solution a second internal hard drive could increase awareness of the importance of backups, something that's remained sadly underemphasized for too long (IMO). [edit: darn you other guys for posting before me!]

Slot-in Slot-out 2nd hard drive in Macs for consumers/ small enterprise would be cool. And maybe if they started leveraging iPods more for the keychains, bookmarks, prefs, etc. -- stuff that would fit on the iPod Nano [without having to explicitly "force" Disk usage on the iPod]...
  • Reply 177 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

A job!

YES. OMFG. Part-time, shifts between home, some admin, and onthefloor retail, maybe leading some newbie training.

OMFG. WTF. ...Almost finishing my 2nd week after a Sat afternoon shift this weekend.

It is weird, balancing all the inspiration and ideas, with the calm of the retail area (and not freaking out people or the staff), and also understanding the business and how to influence management. I'm more looking at how to focus all my knowledge and ideas in a more real-world way. More of branding and strategy, little ideas, but influencing management and tweaking stuff on the retail floor. I might visit some small-large enterprise departments and some private schools in the area as part of my internship. All this and dealing with the bipolar. Whoa. Just taking it one step at a time, and covering my ass with appropriate backup (as in life) and exit strategy.
  • Reply 178 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha View Post

its just a neater option. i hate having to faff with the USB cable on my dSLR which is behind a floppy rubber flap which looks like it'll break after repeated use.

Instead, i'd like to take the card out the camera walk up to the computer, card in hand slide it into the iMac, and start transferring the data.

Its just a more elegant solution than all the wires hanging about everywhere.

Is it possible to get a dock for your camera, my kodak has a dock and it sits nicley right beside the Imac, also acts a charger for the camera.
  • Reply 179 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

ummm, have you been posting from your old username about lurking with a new name?

If so, you 're not trying too hard to keep it a secret...

Agreed
  • Reply 180 of 283
    [QUOTE=Haggar;1058272]Unfortunately, it seems that marketing departments and sales people are only interested in pushing products out the door and ringing up the cash register. All service issues afterwards are not their problem. I've seen this all the time at stores like CompUSA. The slick talking salesmen tell customers everything they want to hear: Buy this product and if you have any problems, you'll be first in line at the service department! You'll get your computer back the same day! They can give you a free loaner computer, etc...

The salesmen do this because they are not the ones who have to spend time fixing the damn things. There is no sense of accountability from sales and marketing people. So they think that they can just make wild promises to every customer they talk to. How would things change if your retailer/service center made the sales people repair the computers that they push onto customers? How about if Apple made their hardware designers work in the repair shops on a regular basis? Would the hardware designers be afraid to show their faces in the repair shop, knowing all the trouble that they cause for technicians? At least the other technicians would know whose cars to scrape with a key and throw eggs at.[/QUOTE

Bugger, how do you make these smiley thingamabobs work, bugger

very funny anyway