Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace

Comments

• Reply 21 of 283
    Finally a story that isn't about the accursed iPhone...
  • Reply 22 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmpizzle View Post

I love almost all Apple products, but I hate the iMac chin.

I love the chin. For two reasons:

1. I have JBL Encounter? speakers, and the chin places the screen high enough so that the speakers don't block any of the screen real estate.

2. It's a great place to hang yellow sticky notes on occasion.

If they decide to remove the chin, all I care is that the screen is at the same height as before. Or that the new form factor allows some adjustment of the screen up and down. That would be most welcome.

GTSC
  • Reply 23 of 283
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

I love the chin. For two reasons:

1. I have JBL Encounter? speakers, and the chin places the screen high enough so that the speakers don't block any of the screen real estate.

2. It's a great place to hang yellow sticky notes on occasion.

If they decide to remove the chin, all I care is that the screen is at the same height as before. Or that the new form factor allows some adjustment of the screen up and down. That would be most welcome.

GTSC

GTSC (hah! love the name) :: you have some excellent feedback there. :thumbs up:

However, I am afraid the chin will be gone. Chin is old skool, IMHO (not that I am a product design expert, but I sense Apple Design will do away with it, they view the chin as old school and it makes the screen look smaller and not as wide as sexy shiny widescreen LCDs/ HDTVs etc.
  • Reply 24 of 283
    I'll say it here for the sake of posters who would otherwise say it (beat you to it !! hah!)

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

GPU OPTIONS

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

NO SCREEN

I GOT SEPARATE

SCREEN

I DON'T WANT SCREEN

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

FAST GPU

SLI

CROSSFIRE

MID TOWER!!!

• Reply 25 of 283
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

The potential removal of the "inexpensive" 17" iMac is quite interesting (and scary). It makes me wonder how Apple plans to compete in the edu market and the entry-level market...

A rumour makes you scared? Not me. I know that as much as I enjoy visiting these rumour sites, they are almost never accurate and only fodder for the imagination. Nothing more.
  • Reply 26 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpm16601 View Post

Finally a story that isn't about the accursed iPhone...

Dude, totally. Final-fracking-ly.
  • Reply 27 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

I love the chin ...

It's a great place to hang yellow sticky notes on occasion.

This is actually what I use my iMac chin for. I have about 6 hanging htere right now. Also, the Apple remote hangs mostly in the chin region ... and the big Apple logo is on the chin ... isn't that also where the power brick is? I dunno ... it'll be interesting to see what the design looks like, but leave it to Ive and his buch to do something completely sexy
  • Reply 28 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AppleInsider has learned that Apple's popular line of iMac personal computers are about to undergo a substantial facelift that will showcase striking new industrial designs aimed at leaving both competitors and onlookers smitten.

if it has multi touch i will buy my first iMac, then wait for the tablet..... i can dream
  • Reply 29 of 283
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    How about adding an touchscreen dock on the chin for the new iMacs?
  • Reply 30 of 283
    The chin may have to turn into a forehead if the iMac is going to pivot/slide down to a desk surface/lap position, unless it's current position works as a wrist rest. I'm talking about the iMac going multi-touch ofcourse.
  • Reply 31 of 283
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    OK, but where, exactly, is the "fat" in the current design that Ives is supposedly being charged with removing?

We know Steve is absolutely obsessed with making everything as small and thin as possible, so it's not like the "chin" was some arbitrary element-- clearly the current iMac needs the space so it can be thin as possible (the alternative would be to drop the chin and make the whole machine about an inch thicker).

And we know that getting overly aggressive about pushing the size/heat dissipation envelope has caused problems with thermal management on some earlier machines.

So even if new iMacs are using the latest Intel chipset, I don't recall reading about radical reductions in power consumption/heat, so how do you make everything smaller without it melting?

People are acting like the current machine's size was just aesthetics, but if they could have made it any smaller, they would have. I can't see what's changed that would allow that shrink now. Redesign, new colors, move things around, new materials, sure. But radically downsized? Don't buy it.
  • Reply 32 of 283
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    As soon as they are out, I'll buy them.

'nuff said.
  • Reply 33 of 283
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    What's that? "Little bird" may be right after all? Quick, European guy for an interview at AI!
  • Reply 34 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MauiMac View Post

What new/un-obvious information is this write-up giveing us?

Here it is:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

For Apple, the impending iMac makeover will represent the first major industrial design overhaul to hit its flagship all-in-one consumer desktop line in nearly three years.

• Reply 35 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

The potential removal of the "inexpensive" 17" iMac is quite interesting (and scary). It makes me wonder how Apple plans to compete in the edu market and the entry-level market...

This could mean that the 20" model will replace it in 1-2 years from now (that is, at the 17" price point of today).
  • Reply 36 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmpizzle View Post

I love almost all Apple products, but I hate the iMac chin. From a design standpoint, it's wasted space.

I don't see what you are trying to say, but there are vital components in there. Now this does not mean that Apple could not finish an improved design in the last three years for the next iMac generation.
  • Reply 37 of 283
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I'll say it here for the sake of posters who would otherwise say it (beat you to it !! hah!)

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

GPU OPTIONS

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

NO SCREEN

I GOT SEPARATE

SCREEN

I DON'T WANT SCREEN

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

FAST GPU

SLI

CROSSFIRE

MID TOWER!!!

Everything except SLI. I doubt any Mac programs would be compiled specifically for it so it would be largely useless.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip

the chin, the chin, the chin.......

you get the most elegant desktop in the world and the only thing discussed the the 'chin'

Give a good reason to get rid of it.

It doesn't look as good as Sony's 'iMac', which has no chin and the same spec as the iMac. Even if they get rid of it, you can still hang stickies off the bottom like other LCD owners.

I suspected that they would get rid of the 17" iMac after seeing the insides. I don't think they could design the 17" without a chin but the 20" and 24" are easy. All they have to do is reduce the price of the 20" by £300. Now if they offer GMA and a combo drive and a smaller HD in the lower model, I think they'd be able to pull that off. Even if it was just £200 cheaper, I'm sure people wouldn't mind paying an extra £100 for a 20" machine.

My only concern over losing the chin is that the iMac may sound worse. ATM, the iMac is the best sounding machine in Apple's lineup.
  • Reply 38 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

but what I really want in new iMac would be touch screen.

I really cannot understand what is this obsession with touch-technology in computer displays. A touch screen can only simplify basic operations. A computer is a much more complicated device needing more refined input methods. And what about finger prints on a 24" display?
  • Reply 39 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

As cool as this news is I don't see the iMac as the next update to Mac line.

Once again, I think I agree with onlooker's assessment. I would expect the iMacs coming hand in hand with Leopard.
  • Reply 40 of 283
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    I agree with drmoto.

Although beauty is, indeed, in the eye of the beholder and you can't describe why something is ugly or not - as one poster seems to think - many, including myself, find that the present iMac is spoiled by the 'chin', and it makes it 'bottom heavy'.

Architects, for example, learn to avoid both this and the 'top heavy' effect in their designs.