Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace

Comments

• Reply 41 of 283
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

People are acting like the current machine's size was just aesthetics, but if they could have made it any smaller, they would have. I can't see what's changed that would allow that shrink now. Redesign, new colors, move things around, new materials, sure. But radically downsized? Don't buy it.

Well, if I read the implications of the article correctly, they said that they sort of ignored the design when transitioning to Intel and then to core 2 duo. They had bigger fish to fry. The current iMac design was optimized for the old G5 chips. I am not (by any streach) a computer engeneer, but it is not hard to imagine that the Intel requirements for heat and size could be quite different.

About the powerbrick, which someone reminded us is in the chin, I wonder if powerbricks have to be cubic. They are always boxy, but it seems to me that one way to "make it dissapear" would be to spread it out on the stand. Do any of the electrical engeeneers out there know if that is possible? Or do they have to be fat? I was thinking 6" by 2" by .2" or something like that on the back of the stand...
  • Reply 42 of 283
    Get rid of the chin and the iMac would look loads better. If Apple could get rid of that ghastly thing they would. That's why the Cinema Displays don't have one.

Current iMac is the Jay Leno of the computer world.

And while I'm here, how about fibre optics lights that can change colour under the white shell (like the back lit keyboard thing). We could have the case semi mirror what you had selected as your desktop background. Or have some rippling colour effects in screen saver mode. Granted it wont help me get my post production done in shake. But it would look nice.
  • Reply 43 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

The potential removal of the "inexpensive" 17" iMac is quite interesting (and scary). It makes me wonder how Apple plans to compete in the edu market and the entry-level market...

That's easy - they'll just release their cheaper 17" thin client that has up to 15 people running off one MacPro.

I should write my thin client prediction in my signature.
  • Reply 44 of 283
    it's very easy: the new imac has no chin, and it's mounted on a new stand from which the imac can be removed and used like a pen-computer. but there will not be a pen, you will be able to touch with the hands (you can, but you don't have to). this will be apples new invention: multi touch. and it will be used in the iphone, the ipod video (which will have a user interface like the ipod part of the iphone). i wouldn't be surprised if apple would also release a black version of such a non-chin-imac.
  • Reply 45 of 283
    I'm amazed at the chin-bashing going on in this thread. The iMac is the most elegant, brilliantly-designed computer on the market - it's hardly "wasted space". I'd be amazed if there was a collective square centimetre of "wasted space" in that thing.

I can't really see how it can be slimmed down much, though - however I did suspect the design was due for a refresh.
  • Reply 46 of 283
    Quote:

People familiar with the matter say the Cupertino-based Mac maker has called upon its award-winning design chief Jonathan Ive and his team to cut the fat from the the current iMac line and outfit a pair of new Core 2 Duo-based models in a form factor that will be both slimmer and sleeker than today's offerings

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reuters

Steve Jobs was in ebullient mood yesterday revealing the the new slimmer iMac. The latest de-facto style of computer seen in the computer industry. Commenting on the move to super slim industrial design in desktop machines Jobs said: Slim is in and fat is out for the 2007/2008 collection. Pundits/weirdos/geeks were reportedly in awe of the new look. The new slim form factor is achieved with a fully flash operated system giving customers up to 160GB storage space on the 26" BTO model (r.r.p. $4500). Jobs further expounded: One of the things I find truly annoying about the digital age is the increased amount of gunk people download on their computers. Apple have taken the position that gunk is out. Only the best digital content should be stored on a machine from Apple Inc. Commenting further about possible problems for users with large iTunes library. Jobs said: I don't know why that should be. You only need the best of U2 a few Beatles tracks (a heavy nod toward their coming release on iTunes scheduled for 2009), and personally a I have a copy of Toy Story. We fully believe in the less-is-more principle and will be using it in our forthcoming advertisement campaign

Reuters, April 2nd 2007.
  • Reply 47 of 283
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    My quick call on specs:

17-inch 2GHz

1GB of RAM

Intel GMA X3000 graphics

DVD/CD-RW Combo drive

No Bluetooth or Front Row remote

$999

20-inch 2GHz

1GB of RAM

256MB ATI X2600 graphics

Superdrive

Bluetooth + Front Row

$1299

24-inch 2.2GHz

2GB of RAM

256MB GeForce 8500 GT grpahics

Superdrive

Bluetooth +Front Row

$1799

And before you think the prices are crazy: display prices are coming down, memory prices are coming down, and the next-gen graphics should cost somewhere in the ballpark of the old models.

Edit: 200th post.
  • Reply 48 of 283
    to the poster who thought it could be pulled off and used like a tablet. i highly doubt this, if the 17 inch is being ruled out, i don't want to carry a 24 inch screen around the house for fun.

one thing to remember is that slimming could be highly possible if they employed more notebook manufactoring techniques for components. thinking most of the components in the current imac aren't updateable, its really about as fixed in place as the notebook machines; just add some clipin/out graphic cards setup. it should also be noted that the area spread is more as the screen sizes move up, this is more room for components to spread across.
  • Reply 49 of 283
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Yeah. basically if they tack on MBP pro parts onto the back of the screen...

I think they will probably just look like the displays, alumninum with those lovely rounded edges.
  • Reply 50 of 283
    Wow... what a Nostradamian prediction...

Sometime in the future, we don't know exactly when... possibly tomorrow, or six years from now, new and improved iMacs are coming! With probably sleeker design (as opposed to new, dumber designs) and ... ooh, faster processors!

Talk about shooting fish in a barrel...
  • Reply 51 of 283
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I'll say it here for the sake of posters who would otherwise say it (beat you to it !! hah!)

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

GPU OPTIONS

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

NO SCREEN

I GOT SEPARATE

SCREEN

I DON'T WANT SCREEN

MID TOWER

MID TOWER

FAST GPU

SLI

CROSSFIRE

MID TOWER!!!

Crap you beat me to it.

Will someone let me know when Apple actually release some new computers?
  • Reply 52 of 283
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hope you can replace the hard drive without taking the case apart. That would be nice...
  • Reply 53 of 283
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog74 View Post

Wow... what a Nostradamian prediction...

Sometime in the future, we don't know exactly when... possibly tomorrow, or six years from now, new and improved iMacs are coming! With probably sleeker design (as opposed to new, dumber designs) and ... ooh, faster processors!

How about this one:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Also uncertain is precisely when Apple intends to drop the new iMac line into market. It appears, however, the systems are tracking as hardware-side complements to the company's next-generation Leopard operating system release which, based purely on conjecture, may not be ready until May at best.

With the Santa Rosa release postponed to May (from what I remember having read recently), the most likely is that the new iMacs will be introduced during the WWDC or there around.
  • Reply 54 of 283
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Adobe is releasing CS3 on March 27th

No they aren't. They are having a "launch event" on CS3, where they will be "announcing" CS3 - i.e. showing it off and letting us know when we can buy it.

See here.
  • Reply 55 of 283
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

My quick call on specs:

17-inch 2GHz

1GB of RAM

Intel GMA X3000 graphics

DVD/CD-RW Combo drive

No Bluetooth or Front Row remote

$999

20-inch 2GHz

1GB of RAM

256MB ATI X2600 graphics

Superdrive

Bluetooth + Front Row

$1299

24-inch 2.2GHz

2GB of RAM

256MB GeForce 8500 GT grpahics

Superdrive

Bluetooth +Front Row

$1799

And before you think the prices are crazy: display prices are coming down, memory prices are coming down, and the next-gen graphics should cost somewhere in the ballpark of the old models.

Edit: 200th post.

So they're going to keep the processor speed the same on the 17 inch, slow it down by .16 GHz on the 20 inch, and raise it .04 GHz on the 24 inch?
  • Reply 56 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

So they're going to keep the processor speed the same on the 17 inch, slow it down by .16 GHz on the 20 inch, and raise it .04 GHz on the 24 inch?

But before you think the prices are crazy...
  • Reply 57 of 283
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I wish they'd offer some other color. White is too "institutional" looking to me.
  • Reply 58 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

it's very easy: the new imac has no chin, and it's mounted on a new stand from which the imac can be removed and used like a pen-computer. but there will not be a pen, you will be able to touch with the hands (you can, but you don't have to). this will be apples new invention: multi touch. and it will be used in the iphone, the ipod video (which will have a user interface like the ipod part of the iphone). i wouldn't be surprised if apple would also release a black version of such a non-chin-imac.

Who's going to carry around a 20 or 24-inch multi-touch screen????

Dude, you're

You should give that up - it kills brain cells!
  • Reply 59 of 283
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's industrial design prowess in 2006 was largely reserved for its notebook lines, which saw cutting-edge design revisions replace aging form factors at both the consumer and professional ends.

C'mon, externally, those new Intel portables hardly changed from their G4 predecessors. Cutting edge design my ass.
  • Reply 60 of 283
    I think leopard will bring the touch screen GUI to the Mac line. And for those not with built in screen there could be a screen adaptor to solve for that.

But I only concern is that with slicker design I am not so sure they will be able to boost the performance.

------------------

http://www.mostofmymac.com

Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

maybe chin will be gone.

but what I really want in new iMac would be touch screen.