Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace

Comments

• Reply 121 of 283
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Whereas the original iMac G5 provided easy access by simply turning 3 screws and lifting off the back cover, the latest iMacs are a huge step back in serviceability.

I'm sure the last iMac G5 revision (built-in iSight model) is less easily serviceable than the earlier revisions because it's one reason I chose to keep my earlier 'rev B'. When that serviceability downgrade continued with the Intel models it helped make them less tempting. I might still be using my G5 until AppleCare coverage expires next May, maybe adding a MacBook (Pro) between now and then? especially if a MBP revision makes it easier to replace the hard drive like on the MB. The MB(P) could become a temporary desktop replacement if its performance spoils me, with my wife getting the iMac before I get another desktop system which is hopefully as easily self-serviceable again (and a Mac Pro may be a possibility by then, too).
  • Reply 122 of 283
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The G5 iMacs ran pretty hot. People that had both the Intel and G5 units generally seem to say that the Intel based ones are cool and pretty much nearly silent, and the G5s weren't...

Totally agree. From my experience with my cousin's iMac G5 and the new Core2Duo iMacs. Adobe|Macromedia CS3 is f*cking going to FLYYYYY on the Core2Duo/XEON machines and whip the G5s...!!! Hopefully, but *most likely* !!
  • Reply 123 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You know me too well!

Told ya, I'm a lurker, ex-a different username... you probably know who I really am.

Shhh.. let's keep it secret for now. 8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 124 of 283
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Told ya, I'm a lurker, ex-a different username... you probably know who I really am.

Shhh.. let's keep it secret for now. 8) 8) 8)

I do think I have a glimmer.
  • Reply 125 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I've had my iMac since December and have hardly noticed the chin. I'm too busy staring at the actual screen.

Yeah, my attention on the screen has always made the chin's appearance inconsequential.

Quote:

What I would like is the capacity to outfit it with 2 hard drives for use with Time Machine. I don't want to have to fuss with an external hard drive for this functionality.

That's the most practical redesign idea I've read in this thread so far, especially if it's easily accessible. Certainly a smart way to encourage customers to use Time Machine (or other backup software, for that matter) than if external drives are required.
  • Reply 126 of 283
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    it would be great if the new imac becomes a kind of home cinema tv of sorts. i've been thinking about getting rid of my tv for some time. i don't watch japanese tv and i have also been chased to pay a license fee! at the moment i use it to watch video (it's admittedly very useful for this) and a kind of storage area when used as a spanned screen for logic (the resolution is too low for much else). it would be great to free up the space in my tiny apartment
  • Reply 127 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is certainly a popular thread. I just get here, and there are already 80 posts!

You needn't feel compelled to join every thread ?

Quote:

I'm also waiting for a "new" iMac to come out.

? especially just to dump a "me, too" remark like that.
  • Reply 128 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The very first G5 iMac did not have an iSight built-in, and was highly serviceable. The back of the machine was flat and it was Vesa-mount compatible.

First two revisions had that design, as I'd mentioned before seeing your post now.

Quote:

The redesigned G5 iMac that brought built-in iSight also introduced a thinner case with curved back, lost the Vesa-mount compatibility, and made the machine significantly harder to service. The Intel iMac kept this case design.

Not quite sure how the serviceability compares between that last G5 and Intel models. Is the G5 a bit easier?
  • Reply 129 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post

How the hell do you think he got to 8,000+ posts ???!!
  • Reply 130 of 283
    Quote:

...Not quite sure how the serviceability compares between that last G5 and Intel models. Is the G5 a bit easier?

That might be the general feeling at this stage, yes.
  • Reply 131 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I really hate how the popular PC makers excessively long pages of options. I'm very involved with technology and I find it overwhelming, I can't imagine what the average consumer thinks.

They stopped thinking after buying a Windows PC, if not earlier.
  • Reply 132 of 283
    Quote:

Oh Jeez! Cut it out.

I don't! Just the ones I'm interested it. I miss plenty, believe me.
  • Reply 133 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

How the hell do you think he got to 8,000+ posts ???!!

YOU know very well.
  • Reply 134 of 283
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

a) have an upgradeable video card (ha ha ha...yeah I know)

this can't be out of the reals of possibility, surely

Quote:

b) have a thin bezel like the cinema displays

seems quite likely

Quote:

c) more USB ports

fingers crossed!

Quote:

d) give us the ability to use the internal display as a secondary monitor (ie. with a laptop).

i'm afraid i think this one is pie in the sky
  • Reply 135 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

this can't be out of the reals of possibility, surely

seems quite likely

fingers crossed!

i'm afraid i think this one is pie in the sky

If Apple or any manufacturer allowed this, then it can kiss standalone LCD sales goodbye.
  • Reply 136 of 283
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    In terms of aesthetics, i dont think you can completely get rid of the chin and retain a balanced look.

For some reason, although the Cinema displays are even bevelled top and bottom with no chin, you know that they are just a display where as the chin on the iMac ( to me ) helps to imply its a complete machine in its own right.

Personally though, i think the chin on the larger ones is a bit out of place and could be doing with being reduced, but a smaller chin still retained.

It may go against the grain slightly of simply clean lines, but i would like to see some memory card slots in the side of a new iMac. Given that the SD and CF card formats are so wide spread even in the home consumer markets and that Apple are driving that all in one format machine that can take your photos / videos from front end to back end in a simple smooth workflow, why not have the card slots? They would be so much more useful than card readers dangling off USB all the time.
  • Reply 137 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha View Post

It may go against the grain slightly of simply clean lines, but i would like to see some memory card slots in the side of a new iMac. Given that the SD and CF card formats are so wide spread even in the home consumer markets and that Apple are driving that all in one format machine that can take your photos / videos from front end to back end in a simple smooth workflow, why not have the card slots? They would be so much more useful than card readers dangling off USB all the time.

I just don't get it, why use a card reader when you can directly connect your camera to your computer??
  • Reply 138 of 283
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

I just don't get it, why use a card reader when you can directly connect your camera to your computer??

Because it's easier to pop in an SD card, then to look around for the USB cable and hook it up.
  • Reply 139 of 283
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    its just a neater option. i hate having to faff with the USB cable on my dSLR which is behind a floppy rubber flap which looks like it'll break after repeated use.

Instead, i'd like to take the card out the camera walk up to the computer, card in hand slide it into the iMac, and start transferring the data.

Its just a more elegant solution than all the wires hanging about everywhere.
  • Reply 140 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha View Post

its just a neater option. i hate having to faff with the USB cable on my dSLR which is behind a floppy rubber flap which looks like it'll break after repeated use.

Instead, i'd like to take the card out the camera walk up to the computer, card in hand slide it into the iMac, and start transferring the data.

Its just a more elegant solution than all the wires hanging about everywhere.

Hmmm, I guess preferences differ, cause I prefer having to faff with the USB cable behind the rubber flap But i guess too little customers want this so apple decided against it.

I am hoping for an increase in the number of USB ports though, cause 3 is way too few...