First iPhone ads published on Apple.com (Coming June 29)

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133
    Very nice ads. Simple, nothing distracting and neatly shows some of the cool features on the phone. I couldn't help but smile while watching them.

I showed the ads to a very much non-Mac person (and non-gadgethead for that matter) last night and a couple of the features elicited gasps of surprise from him.

I don't think Apple will need to sell squillions of the iPhone for it to be successful in their eyes, but I do think they're on a winner.

All I can wonder now is just how many of those features will be available - and usable - when it hits Australia next year?
  • Reply 122 of 133
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridedasupabus View Post

I called AT&T today to ask them about being able to renew my contract and buy an iPhone. The guy told me, after saying that it's usually 18 months into the contract when you can, "But we might have something special going on with the iPhone." I asked him what and he said he couldn't say anything...?

Pretty much what I told you 100 posts ago. But I hope he's right about them "doing something special" re: the iPhone for existing customers.

• Reply 123 of 133
    danrybdanryb Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

As a long time Treo user and forum regular, I can tell you that Cingular Reps almost NEVER know what they're talking about. I'm not saying any of what she said will be wrong; I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt.

As far as waiting lists go, AT&T was specifically told NOT to create waiting lists, so there's also a good chance that this list will be thrown in the garbage on launch day without notice.

Don't want to rain on your parade. Just speaking from past experience with Cingular.

Yeah I know that they most likely don't know the whole story. But I wanted to share what I was told, which was a very similar story by two different people. I'm taking it with a grain of salt. But it makes sense to me that there's no special discounts...phone or not, apple really doesn't do sales it seems.
  • Reply 124 of 133
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

While GPS operation COULD be used with communication to only 3 satellites, it would be less accurate. For one, just because of the satellites times are not exactly perfect, and because of the time delay between communication. The NAVSTAR is the only fully functional Global Navigation Satellite System, which uses a minimum of 24 satellites. Of course, each individual GPS receiver wouldn't be able to contact each of the satellites directly, but there must be a minimum of 24 satellites provide full coverage for the entire globe. You can't really say that GPS would only work with three satellites because then it would only be available to certain locations at certain times (the range of the orbital period for middle Earth orbit satellites is 2-12 hours).

You're missing the point here.

No one has said that the GPS SYSTEM needs only three satellites.

But, any one receiver only needs three satellites.

No receiver can use 24 satellites. The max is about twelve. Don't remember the actual number.
  • Reply 125 of 133
    Wish I knew if I had to spend the night in front of the store or not. I work accross the street from an apple store in a mall, which opens at 6:00 AM, and there are two AT&T stores within a couple blocks as well. Guess I'll have a friend go into the Apple store and I'll wait outside one of the AT&T stores.

Not excited about sleeping on the sidewalk though. I need two of them. One for me and one for my girlfriend who just happens to be having a birthday on June 29. What a nice coincidence for her.
  • Reply 126 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by busaganashi View Post

Wish I knew if I had to spend the night in front of the store or not. I work accross the street from an apple store in a mall, which opens at 6:00 AM, and there are two AT&T stores within a couple blocks as well. Guess I'll have a friend go into the Apple store and I'll wait outside one of the AT&T stores.

Not excited about sleeping on the sidewalk though. I need two of them. One for me and one for my girlfriend who just happens to be having a birthday on June 29. What a nice coincidence for her.

Give her a rain check.
  • Reply 127 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Sorry, I'm not the president of his fanclub, just a guy trying to take a cheap shot at a guy that played a fly and did voiceovers for Apple commercials.

Perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us with your Jeff Goldblum knowledge.

No money has been spent on Jeff or the fake domain name... HA

Don't forget, he saved the world from an alien threat... WITH A MAC!

The virus that destroyed the entire alien culture didn't so much as affect the G3 PowerBook running OS 8.5 :P
  • Reply 128 of 133
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I hate Jeff Goldblum. He was cool for like 5 minutes as a supporting character in Jurassic Park, but that's about it. Any movie in which he plays a lead role tends to be painful to watch (in large part due to him) like The Great White Hope.

He's overrated as an actor. \

• Reply 129 of 133
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I hate Jeff Goldblum. He was cool for like 5 minutes as a supporting character in Jurassic Park, but that's about it. Any movie in which he plays a lead role tends to be painful to watch (in large part due to him) like The Great White Hope.

I thought he was good in the Fly. Maybe he could do iPhone spots as the hideous mutant merger of man and cell phone.

"What's this? The internet at my finger tips?" (pulls fingernail off, touches grotesque protuberance on his head) "What's this? I don't know. Blllrrrragghhgh"
  • Reply 130 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I like his new show, Raines.
  • Reply 131 of 133
    I do too, but I believe it's already cancelled.
  • Reply 132 of 133
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Yeah that blows. the show was pretty good out of the box and was getting better. Nicole Sullivan was good too.

Back to the iPhone: I went back to the website and reviewed all the features. In some ways it seems like complete overkill for a light cell user like me. Maybe it would grow on me - I would find ways to use the features. My current 3 year old basic Samsung has one thing going for it - I've dropped it several time with no ill effects. I wonder if the same can be said for iPhone?
  • Reply 133 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Maybe. But, nowadays, when shows start in the middle of the season, or even near the end, who knows? But, I hope not.

Look at when Crossing Jordan started this year.