Apple unveils near final version of Mac OS X Leopard

Comments

• Reply 101 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Man, the mis-interpretations are enormous.

He didn't say it was 64-bit. He said it was 64-bit and 32-bit side by side, in one package.

Again, it has 64-bit code in it. But that doesn't limit it to 64-bit processors. There's intel code in there, but it still works on a PPC mac. Same concept.

And, besides all of that, why not look at it in the sense of making money. What kind of stupid-ass would Apple be to basically say "Hey, 90% of our users can't use this kind-of-lame OS upgrade! That's going to spur sales!"

More importantly, looking at the specs, he's basically said people's 3 year old iBook G3s now have out-dated hardware.

OK then there's nothing really different between this and Vista, Xp x64, server 2003 x64 or the new server 2008 (which by default is 64 bit). These can all run 32-bit and 64-bit applications side by side. Also the retail versions of Vista come with the 32 and 64 bit versions on one disc. In regards to drivers, with Vista in order for your driver to be WHQL certified by MS you must make a 32-bit and 64-bit version of your driver. This greatly reduces the problem of having for 32-bit but not for 64-bit. IDK if I'm sold on running 32 bit drivers on a 64 bit system it doesn't seem very stable but we'll see if they can pull it off. I personally like MS requirement for both 32 and 64 bit drivers in order to obtain WHQL certification better than the ability to run both it seems much more stable.
  • Reply 102 of 150
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi View Post

OK then there's nothing really different between this and Vista, Xp x64, server 2003 x64 or the new server 2008 (which by default is 64 bit). These can all run 32-bit and 64-bit applications side by side. Also the retail versions of Vista come with the 32 and 64 bit versions on one disc. In regards to drivers, with Vista in order for your driver to be WHQL certified by MS you must make a 32-bit and 64-bit version of your driver. This greatly reduces the problem of having for 32-bit but not for 64-bit. IDK if I'm sold on running 32 bit drivers on a 64 bit system it doesn't seem very stable but we'll see if they can pull it off. I personally like MS requirement for both 32 and 64 bit drivers in order to obtain WHQL certification better than the ability to run both it seems much more stable.

Why not wait for Leopard to come out before worrying that it won't run on G4s or early Intel, or that its 32-bit compatibility isn't the best? You seem to be doing an awful lot of hand-wringing for a system that's still months out, and you seem to be much more a Vista boy than anything else (condolences on that, btw).

Don't worry, be happy.

• Reply 103 of 150
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

You mean iChat Theater? It doesn't let you remotely control a friends Mac; it just lets you show apps that are running on your Mac (show your Powerpoint/Keynote slides, etc.).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/ichat.html

It did before yesterday. In fact, I was just looking at it Sunday and telling my mom how cool it would be when she had computer questions.
  • Reply 104 of 150
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi

some incorrect stuff

Did you ever take the time to notice that retail copies of Tiger are installable on both Intel and PPC Macs? But this must be impossible, right, since a PPC can't use a GUID partition map, and Intel can't use Apple partition map.

But wait! It works! Why?

Because Apple made the Tiger installers (after 10.4.4) able to install either GUID OR APM, automatically, with no input necessary from the user. That said, I have a feeling Apple knows what they are doing. Just because Microsoft can't pull it off, it's not impossible.
  • Reply 105 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Why not wait for Leopard to come out before worrying that it won't run on G4s or early Intel, or that its 32-bit compatibility isn't the best? You seem to be doing an awful lot of hand-wringing for a system that's still months out, and you seem to be much more a Vista boy than anything else (condolences on that, btw).

Don't worry, be happy.

Woah there buddy, I choose to use Vista as you chose to use OS X. My first computer was an iMac and I've used OSes 6-10.4.9. I chose to switch to windows cause everything works with it, I don't have to wonder if there's a driver for Windows I don't have to wonder if they make this cool program for Windows because everyone does. I can build my own computer exactly how I want it. There ARE features included in Windows that still aren't included in OS X (remote desktop, backup). I don't like Apple's form over function mentality (you can't put a removable battery in the iPhone it would look ugly), I also don't like that they release final products that are buggy and unstable and expect everyone to pay to be beta testers (like OS 9, OS 10.0, itunes 6, etc). I don't like how when people have problems with their mac and then post these issues on the apple forums apple will delete their posts and like nothing's wrong even though many are having the same problem. Yet somehow they get voted #1 for customer service!! I could keep going but I won't.
  • Reply 106 of 150
    OK, my last post in this tpic was a bit bland. And in light of so much controversy, and a whole night of working and thinking this topic over, I have some things to say.

First of all, Leopard could be -- in ever box -- a duel0disk of both 64-bit and 32-bit. Meaning, there is only one BOX version, and in every box you get 32/64 bit version. That just makes it simple. Or, who knows. But Leopard will be 64-bit. Heck, they announced it twice, so it must be.

Second, I think the reason people are dissappointed have little to do with what the expected, but the fact that they have been lied to. Jobs said there are 300 features in Leopard. I counted 17. 10 were on stage. So, the question is, where are these other features and why must Jobs tell us there are 300 features, and the same time, only announce three new features? Something isn't adding up, besides one fact: he's trying to hype it as something big. I don't know if thats true, but it does seem like it. And, unless he's counting every little feature (which he might be), I dount there are 300 new features to Leopard. Even with counting those little features, are there really 300 new ones?

Third, with all of that said, Leopard is merely a evolution rather a revolution. It is a bunch of small differences that will add up to a big bang in the end, like Tiger. And someone all ready mentioned the speed factor -- I bet Leopard is hugely faster then Vista, however, do you guys think it will be a memory hog? Think about it -- you have Time Machine running in the background, widgets running, and then all that 3D stuff, Core Animation playing a huge factor, all of which take memory. So, ya or nah on the memory hog?

Finally, is Leopard better then Vista? I still hold to what I said, that Tiger killed XP, and Vista was Window's savoir from the big cat. However, Leopard doesn't seem all that different from Tiger, adding some note worthy additions, making it leaps and bounds past Tiger, but at the same time, Vista added some pretty notable additions (like the flash drive as ram). So the question is, which one is better? I still being that Tiger is a better OS then Vista will ever be, and since Leopard is just making the Tiger experiance better, prettier and hopefully faster, then I will say Leopard is the victor.

But what do you think? ANY developers out there actually USEING Leopard and can tell us from experience if it's any better then Vista?

EDIT:

The new finder rocks. I hope it's tabbed, but if not, oh well. I love the cover flow idea, makes surfing your files a breeze. :-D Love it.
  • Reply 107 of 150
    why is the dock reflective but the menu bar at the top isn't. it just seems so last minute hack like "oh, windows has transparencies, well, so do we! take that, aero!" I could understand it if they added it for aesthetics or functionality, but the more i look at it the less it serves for either case
  • Reply 108 of 150
    Quote:

Woah there buddy, I choose to use Vista as you chose to use OS X. My first computer was an iMac and I've used OSes 6-10.4.9. I chose to switch to windows cause everything works with it, I don't have to wonder if there's a driver for Windows I don't have to wonder if they make this cool program for Windows because everyone does. I can build my own computer exactly how I want it. There ARE features included in Windows that still aren't included in OS X (remote desktop, backup). I don't like Apple's form over function mentality (you can't put a removable battery in the iPhone it would look ugly), I also don't like that they release final products that are buggy and unstable and expect everyone to pay to be beta testers (like OS 9, OS 10.0, itunes 6, etc). I don't like how when people have problems with their mac and then post these issues on the apple forums apple will delete their posts and like nothing's wrong even though many are having the same problem. Yet somehow they get voted #1 for customer service!! I could keep going but I won't.

Ok, you use Windows (condolences on that, btw). So why are you here, then, and so very worried about what Leopard will and won't do?

Btw, my first OS was Windows 3.1. I made the switch not long after Win95 and have never looked back. Note that I'm not on a Windows forum trying to talk up OS X, or hand-wringing about all the things that are going wrong with Vista. Why? Because I'm very happy with OS X, and Windows no longer interests me, because its an inferior user experience. I could go on, but I won't.

• Reply 109 of 150
    Because I love technology and I'm still interested in the goings on at Apple, I didn't know this site was for mac users only and no others were allowed. I still deal with OS X on an almost daily basis, not because I need it to do things I can't do in Windows but because there are 3 active macs in my family since my dad is a mac fanatic but yet the Mac isn't easy enough for him to use and he has to get me to do everything for him.
  • Reply 110 of 150
    Anyone have a copy of the beta and can see if there are tabs in the finder?
  • Reply 111 of 150
    Quote:

Because I love technology and I'm still interested in the goings on at Apple,

Odd. 'Cuz you sound a bit more like a troll:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi

So how does it feel to have laughed at the windoze fools having to go through "major surgery" in order to run vista but you with your Mactel you bought in 2006 can't run leopard in 2007 [Ed note: this is incorrect] and must buy a brand new computer no little upgrade is available for you!!

yeah let that sink in!! The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife!!!

Look dude, it's ok. We get a number of Windows users who are insecure that OS X may be better, and want to find a way to validate their buying decisions. In your case, it was jumping to the wrong conclusion about Leopard and then shooting your mouth off about it, but, there have been worse posts. \

Another giveaway was you getting tres defensive and listing all the reasons why Windows "is teh better" when asked a simple question.

If you wanna stick around, well, I'm not an admin, and even if I were, I wouldn't ban you, but you might want to consider chilling out some, so as not to appear the doof. Peace.

• Reply 112 of 150
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

It did before yesterday. In fact, I was just looking at it Sunday and telling my mom how cool it would be when she had computer questions.

pmjoe, I'm just reposting this because things are so screwy and my post is in a screwy spot. Controlling another computer over ichat was an advertised feature before monday (I was looking at in Sunday, so I'm very sure).
  • Reply 113 of 150
    pfolk07pfolk07 Posts: 5member
    I was looking at recent pictures of the new desktop in the gallery on the Apple site and realised that in none of the pictures was an icon of the Macintosh HD, does this mean they've gotten rid of it, or will it still be there, but they've somehow gotten rid of it for the photo's??? Or have I not read something that tells me what's happened to it??? I also hope apple has changed the look of the folders, cause when I maker a new folder on my desktop, the current graphics of it, isn't that appealing.

I also agree with recent posts about Leopard working with G4's and 32-bit systems, I don't think apple is stupid enough to make it incompatible with these computers, especially after having a go at MS for having people upgrade their machines just to run Vista.
  • Reply 114 of 150
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfolk07 View Post

I was looking at recent pictures of the new desktop in the gallery on the Apple site and realised that in none of the pictures was an icon of the Macintosh HD, does this mean they've gotten rid of it, or will it still be there, but they've somehow gotten rid of it for the photo's??? Or have I not read something that tells me what's happened to it??? I also hope apple has changed the look of the folders, cause when I maker a new folder on my desktop, the current graphics of it, isn't that appealing.

I also agree with recent posts about Leopard working with G4's and 32-bit systems, I don't think apple is stupid enough to make it incompatible with these computers, especially after having a go at MS for having people upgrade their machines just to run Vista.

I am 100% certain they will not do that. Consider that 32-bit will be necessary for the original MacBooks and even the current Mac Mini, and that it will also be available for the PPC G5's, considering many G5's are still under one year old. If they can make it 32-bit, and they can make it PPC compatible, why would they not make it compatible with a 32-bit PPC?
  • Reply 115 of 150
    One thing that's been really underemphasized in the discussion of Leopard is OS speed. Remember how sloooow 10.0 and 10.1 were? Tiger's pretty quick, but it's always something I worry about. \

The good news is that I'm hearing that Leopard is really really FAST. I had to go to other forums to find some info on that, but the news appears to be good:

The new finder is absolutely the best part. How many years have we wanted a cocoa finder? It's HERE!!!!! Browsing network shares is no longer met with delays, it's using the fast Unix finally. I can try to mount 10 shares without every seeing a cursor.

Proper multi-threaded support. No more pauses when clicking on the menubar or anything else. Apps keep chugging along.

No more beachball so far.

It's the perfect OS for productivity. No crazy changes, just refinement to the extreme.

It's a beautiful thing!

DVD player has been able to play HD-DVDs for a long time. It has blu-ray and HD-DVD settings in prefs now.

--- And, from the same user (who apparently is using the WWDC beta of Leopard):

# Spotlight, completely re-written with faster database, and backend

# Finder, did I mention it's completely new? Networking, browsing, anything that used to beachball is SUPER FAST. The finder doesn't beachball on large folders, nor do you wait for thumbnails to come up, or wait period. You can try network shares as fast as you can click them.

# The entire system has new underpinnings, that are better threaded. No pause if you click on a menu. THIS IS REALLY, REALLY big deal, as it takes months to rewrite that code that handles this sort of thing.

# Redesigned printing servics, and dialogs, no more of that HORRIBLE 60 dropdown items. Preview of your document (thumbnail) is in every print dialog, and page setup can be reached from this window. Also printing does not put up a dialog covering the screen while it spools pages. No more stopping your productivity, while you wait to spool.

I'm just getting warmed up. It's extremely fast. This alone is worth $129

I'm just surprised that Steve didn't make more out of how much faster Leopard apparently is. If he had, we might be hearing significantly fewer "WWDC was kind of a disappointment" -type complaints. \

• Reply 116 of 150
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

You mean iChat Theater? It doesn't let you remotely control a friends Mac; it just lets you show apps that are running on your Mac (show your Powerpoint/Keynote slides, etc.).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/ichat.html

Yeah, that's what it says now.

EDIT: aaarrrrggghh, the return of random time post positioning. I thought maybe the down time was to fix that? Man, the AI database must be well and truly borked.
  • Reply 117 of 150
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

No Apple did have a feature advertised for iChat in Leopard showing the actual Finder window of another computer in the theatre screen. One of those last minute and unfortunate drops, I am afraid.

It's still there.
  • Reply 118 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfolk07 View Post

I was looking at recent pictures of the new desktop in the gallery on the Apple site and realised that in none of the pictures was an icon of the Macintosh HD, does this mean they've gotten rid of it, or will it still be there, but they've somehow gotten rid of it for the photo's???

Having HDs on the desktop has been optional since 10.0.
  • Reply 119 of 150
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

It's still there.

I think I asked this before, probably got lost in the new, alternate AI time/space continuum:

Any speculation as to why Apple has removed mention of it from their web-site, or why Steve didn't talk it up, since it is such a great feature?

You seem to have first hand knowledge-- is the feature set in flux? Critical problems that might not be fixed in time for the roll out?

EDIT: Crap, here I am again at some remove from the post I'm responding to. Hope you track it down, JLL.
  • Reply 120 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think I asked this before, probably got lost in the new, alternate AI time/space continuum:

Any speculation as to why Apple has removed mention of it from their web-site, or why Steve didn't talk it up, since it is such a great feature?

No idea!
This discussion has been closed.