Apple unveils near final version of Mac OS X Leopard

Comments

• Reply 121 of 150
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I like that PMJoe's "never had it" post remains stubbornly as the last word. Is this the long arm of Steve?
  • Reply 122 of 150
    pfolk07pfolk07 Posts: 5member
    I was looking at some of the web stream of the WWDC keynote, unfortunately I wasn't able to view it all as it was really laggy and quit on me. Any ways while Steve Jobs was showing of the New Desktop I noticed he quickly clicked on the Help menu up the top and what popped down seemed to be something that looked like the window of Spotlight, so it looked as if you'd type your question straight into there without it opening up the application, but I'm not sure, but it did look different to the current menu, when clicked on, it just has the Mac Help Comman-?, but this did look different. But actually not sure if this has been mentioned on their website. I also noticed, but I'm not quite sure, but the top-bar in the preview app, looked like it had some newer buttons, but don't quote me on this as I've been unable to take a closer look, but they quite possibly could be new buttons that may do something different. I think someone should go through the keynote and look at different things that could quite possibly be new features that haven't been shown, I would do it myself, but have no time on my hands.

I also looked at a recent post, where someone said they calculated 17 new features, not 300, well Apple usually posts a lists of all the new features. Generally they also only show the key new features of an operating system, even though they usually say something like 200+ new features. I think many of the new features, may be underhood features or small things, or new security measures. When reading previous features list from other systems, I have found many to be things about stuff I don't know about, so I think I'll take apple's word for it, cause I don't think Apple with preview all 300+ new features, but they may in the future list them all.
  • Reply 123 of 150
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You seem to have first hand knowledge-- is the feature set in flux? Critical problems that might not be fixed in time for the roll out?

From here:

Quote:

All features referenced in the Mac OS X Leopard website are subject to change.

From what I remember, this appears for the first time in the demo pages of OS X before release. Not exactly an answer to your question, but an indication.
  • Reply 124 of 150
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I got it from the macrumors.com live feed. They explicitly said no developers outside the conference would be getting Leopard...

I could be wrong but not handing out developers outside the confrence could be a more of a security issue rather than catering to the elite. Just my 2 cents
  • Reply 125 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfolk07 View Post

I also looked at a recent post, where someone said they calculated 17 new features, not 300, well Apple usually posts a lists of all the new features. Generally they also only show the key new features of an operating system, even though they usually say something like 200+ new features. I think many of the new features, may be underhood features or small things, or new security measures. When reading previous features list from other systems, I have found many to be things about stuff I don't know about, so I think I'll take apple's word for it, cause I don't think Apple with preview all 300+ new features, but they may in the future list them all.

:-D That was me. Thats a possiblity, and more then likely is the case. But it still doesn't answer, why did Jobs choose to unveil only three new features -- he could have even listed speed increase as a feature, but he didn't. I still wonder if there was a secert feature, but they couldn't get it done in time.

I don't know. Leopard will be awesome, but I can't help but be dissapointed with Jobs right now.

(at least he didn't pull a Microsoft, and delay, delay, delay so we could have the same OS, just with a new look and a couple added features -- oh, yea, and everything else XP was missing....right?)
  • Reply 126 of 150
    pfolk07pfolk07 Posts: 5member
    Yeah I must agree with you, at least he hasn't delayed it like MS has, and you do have point in saying why only 3 new features, I have a feeling there's more instore for later, but we'll see. I actually like stacks and will use that quite effectively, but I think the EA Games and id software was a big announcement, although I'll have to upgrade to Intel when I get some money.
  • Reply 127 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfolk07 View Post

Yeah I must agree with you, at least he hasn't delayed it like MS has, and you do have point in saying why only 3 new features, I have a feeling there's more instore for later, but we'll see. I actually like stacks and will use that quite effectively, but I think the EA Games and id software was a big announcement, although I'll have to upgrade to Intel when I get some money.

I forgot about thos announcements, and yes, they are huge announcements. Finally, Apple is pushing games. Now all we need -- this may bea few years off -- are exclusive, AAA titles that are must have, for the Mac platform.

But something else that should have been announced -- are there any improvements to OpenGL, and does Apple have any plans to support Direct X 10. Because the latest cards that do support Direct X 10 usually give a better performance, this according to an old PC Mag that actually reviewed a Mac Pro against other, similar machines (based off of Windows, of course).

At any rate, what Apple did (or id/EA, at least) are the first steps of getting gamers. But it's not the only step.
  • Reply 128 of 150
    gkcgkc Posts: 1member
    The UK site hasn't yet changed to the new design and still carries the original Leopard Sneak Peek pages - the iChat section describes the Screen Sharing feature in both the text and the video...

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/leopard/ichat.html
  • Reply 129 of 150
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Thanks. Yeah, this is exactly the type of thing that was demo-ed at MacWorld in January. Hopefully this will come back to iChat. It looks like now in Leopard the only way that you will have this type of thing is via the "Share Screen" button in the finder window. But according to the way that Steve Jobs was showing this at WDOC is that you will need a .Mac account to use it. I don't know. It wasn't fully explained enough. If that's true, it would be a shame. Thanks for the find.
  • Reply 130 of 150
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, at best, all of this suggests Apple isn't doing a very good job of managing the public face of Leopard, and at worst suggests Apple is actually having to shed features to make their release date, which would be a bitter pill to swallow after all the bwa-ha-ha-ing about Vista.

Putting a way cool feature on the video demo at your website, leaving it there for 5 months, then abruptly pulling it without comment just smacks of chaotic management, in my book (particularly when you don't get around to purging the sites in other countries.)

Does Apple think that it's just not very important if they have shifting, multiple descriptions of Leopards features floating around, so they don't have to make much of an effort to keep things sorted?

And if the screen share feature has been moved to a networking pane in the finder (which is actually not the same thing at all, and we already have Remote Desktop), what does that say about the state of the things, if major features are being rejiggered and repurposed at this point? Or perhaps more significantly, after you thought such a feature was solid enough to brag about on your website?

And before anyone jumps on this, yeah, I think being able to initiate an iChat session and and do remote desktop stuff while talking to the other party is (or was) a major, major feature.

I'm not all "Apple is teh doomed!!!111!!" by any means, but I really wonder what's happening behind the scenes.
  • Reply 131 of 150
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, at best, all of this suggests Apple isn't doing a very good job of managing the public face of Leopard, and at worst suggests Apple is actually having to shed features to make their release date, which would be a bitter pill to swallow after all the bwa-ha-ha-ing about Vista.

Putting a way cool feature on the video demo at your website, leaving it there for 5 months, then abruptly pulling it without comment just smacks of chaotic management, in my book (particularly when you don't get around to purging the sites in other countries.)

Does Apple think that it's just not very important if they have shifting, multiple descriptions of Leopards features floating around, so they don't have to make much of an effort to keep things sorted?

And if the screen share feature has been moved to a networking pane in the finder (which is actually not the same thing at all, and we already have Remote Desktop), what does that say about the state of the things, if major features are being rejiggered and repurposed at this point? Or perhaps more significantly, after you thought such a feature was solid enough to brag about on your website?

And before anyone jumps on this, yeah, I think being able to initiate an iChat session and and do remote desktop stuff while talking to the other party is (or was) a major, major feature.

I'm not all "Apple is teh doomed!!!111!!" by any means, but I really wonder what's happening behind the scenes.

If the feature really has gone from iChat, then I couldn't agree more. Everything you said is right on - there are so many things that come out of Apple that smack of chaotic management that I'm often surprised that they manage to do so well.
  • Reply 132 of 150
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Oh please god let there be an option to make the finder bar opaque as I can't stand this ridiculous transparency eyecandy!!! Argghhh. Trying to make it like Vista hmm? Cmon Appple be original and keep it opaque, it was fine that way!

Apple didn't steal transparency from MS. MS copied it from NeXTstep, the father of OS X.
  • Reply 133 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Apple didn't steal transparency from MS. MS copied it from NeXTstep, the father of OS X.

Thats a very interting fact. Hmmm.
  • Reply 134 of 150
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

To be honest with you, I think functionality is once again taking a back seat to appearance. "Stacks" is one of the dumbest damn things they've come up with recently.

If I understand correctly, Stacks are folders in the dock. Each one holds a series: Apps, applets, etc. I've been doing that for years. Instead of crowding the dock with individual apps or whatever, I have aliases of the most used Apps in one folder, personal files in another, URLs in another, and so on. It beats drilling through layers, but it's no big deal just because the system is called "STACKS".
  • Reply 135 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

To be honest with you, I think functionality is once again taking a back seat to appearance. "Stacks" is one of the dumbest damn things they've come up with recently.

If I understand correctly, Stacks are folders in the dock. Each one holds a series: Apps, applets, etc. I've been doing that for years. Instead of crowding the dock with individual apps or whatever, I have aliases of the most used Apps in one folder, personal files in another, URLs in another, and so on. It beats drilling through layers, but it's no big deal just because the system is called "STACKS".
  • Reply 136 of 150
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Yeah, I've been doing it for now as well. But, there are some differences (albeit minor ones at first glance). The only one that I can see (at least for now) is that in Leopard, each item has a preview icon image, so you see exactly what the item looks like, unlike the generic application icons you get now. The one thing I like about the current way I have it set up, is that you can really dig deep within a folder. Every example I am seeing in the Leopard demos, is a folder of just items, no folders within folders, etc. See examples below.

• Reply 137 of 150
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Has anybody commented on the speed of the new finder?
  • Reply 138 of 150
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Is it me or was I tripping at the MacWorld Keynote address in January? I thought I saw an Apple demo of iChat where you could have a feature where you could control a friend's Mac via iChat (ala Remote Desktop). I specifically remember the Apple guy talking saying in the demo "How many of you out there have parents that always need help with their Mac's but have a hard time showing them how to do certain things?" Did anyone else see this demo at MacWorld? Or am I having weird Mac dreams where I envision cool features not yet developed? If this is NOT a dream and someone else CAN verify that this REALLY was shown at MacWorld, then what happened to it? I didn't see anything like this at this Keynote OR on the Apple site. Can someone verify if this feature will be on the Leopard iChat? Thanks!

Engadget posted and then took down screenshots of the developer preview. Interestingly enough, you can see that there is a screen sharing preference in the Sharing preferences. Also, Safari has lost the brushed aluminum in Leopard.
  • Reply 139 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Yeah, I've been doing it for now as well. But, there are some differences (albeit minor ones at first glance). The only one that I can see (at least for now) is that in Leopard, each item has a preview icon image, so you see exactly what the item looks like, unlike the generic application icons you get now. The one thing I like about the current way I have it set up, is that you can really dig deep within a folder. Every example I am seeing in the Leopard demos, is a folder of just items, no folders within folders, etc. See examples below.

Right. My present set-up is like the bottom one in your thread - like yours if I read you correctly.

I think Leopard Stacks is just eye-candy without the versatility of what you and I have.
  • Reply 140 of 150
    groakesgroakes Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Right. My present set-up is like the bottom one in your thread - like yours if I read you correctly.

I think Leopard Stacks is just eye-candy without the versatility of what you and I have.

I think you have to look at this from the perspective of an iPhone or other multitouch interface. Obviously, if you are mouse driving on a standard desktop or laptop device, then folders on the dock may be just as useful.

However, if you are driving with multiple fingers on a touch screen (as per an iPhone or something else) then the functionality of having you options arc out as on the Stacks screen shot "seems" to offer a better interface.

cheers

Greg
This discussion has been closed.